Options

A 1000 miles in 2022?

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks MrM2 - it seems to have passed, for the mostpart, so I was able to get out for a slow 6 miler today. 
    I think I also need some new shoes. Got plenty of "fast" shoes but need more for slow and everyday runs.

YTD: 876
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Think I'm also due a new pairs of trainees. Think the current ones are at about 1500 miles!

I'm doing the Yorkshire marathon in mid Oct so need to up the mileage - more longer runs needed.

5 and 6.2 to add making 711.2
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've opted for Chester this time, Donnie...Yorkshire's my PB and I don't want to soil the memory by having a less than awesome run there. I did have a great run at Chester when I did it (was my PB back then) but it's still nearly 14 minutes slower than Yorkshire so I've a better chance of getting close to that.

Anyway, 8 miles today. Body somewhat grumpy.

YTD: 884
  • Options
    OMG, I just realised I haven't posted for over two weeks although have been reading everyone else's.

MrM2, you said:
    'Harmander... Thanks for that. Makes sense. But you could score more than 100%, and that wouldn't actually be better?'  - yes but that could only happen when you underestimate your fitness or set low targets.

Not sure if I mentioned I have also been selected to pace at the Big Half on 4 September.

15/07 - 7.25
    16/07 - 8.25
    17/07 - 10.25
    19/07 - 8.25
    21/07 - 8.25
    22/07 - 7.25
    23/07 - 8.25
    24/07 - 13.77
    26/07 - 7.25
    27/07 - totally lazy day (birthday)
    28/07 - 8.25

(87.02)

YTD = 1161.55 miles
  • Options
    Well done on the 700 alehouse.
  • Options
    And Donnie too.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice Harmander. I guess you'll be doing one of the slower pace groups? I'll be running of course, thanks to you.
  • Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Happy unbirthday, Harminder! And decent miles logged. 

Passed 100 miles for the month yesterday, so seven out of seven on that score this year. Still carrying a bit of a glute and hamstring niggle which I still put down to hours on end sitting marking online exams. Couldn't do a desk job...or play games!

Just enjoyed the Commonwealth men's tri and shortly will be rooting for the daughter of a guy that I coached in the women's. C'mon Georgia!

YTD: 759.12
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    How the hell do you city types manage to run the amazing times and distances you do???
    I arrived at Victoria bus station with plan to run River path to docklands...god its busy.
    Nearly 12 miles...took 3 hours...was carrying a rucksack.
    899 miles YTD 
  • Options
    Hobie, we know shortcuts - lol.
    Probably we have identified set routes and best times of day to run.
    Advance congrats on the 900.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    What Harmander said. I run as early as possible and I do my long runs early Sunday morning when it's quietest. A few years ago I took part in a charity relay where the route was about 10K, running up the river from Tower Bridge, past the London Eye, back down the other side and over Tower Bridge to the changeover. My leg was around 11am and I spent most of the run screaming at tourists to move. 
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Cal, Harmander, Yeah a lot of stop/start dodging tourist (said the visiting Jock) but was lovely to do it.
    Little pre race day run around the dock this morning. 
    903 miles YTD 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hobie, my best run in that area was early pandemic, when I got to run along both banks while hardly any peeps were around. Was like 28 Days Later.

Tilgate parkrun today, plus (like last weekend) a 1.5 mile run to/from the station, so 6 total. Tilgate's very nice but has a couple of hills so was over 28 minutes again. I did at least manage two miles below 9 minute pace.

YTD: 890
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    17 very humid miles today. Everything hurts. Tough run.

YTD: 907 (neck and neck with you, Hobie!)
  • Options
    Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    You're logging a lot more miles than me Cal, I need to up my game...entered 2 Ultras in October so time to get back on the long runs.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Two?! How are you going to recover between those? Yikes.
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Advice please? I've used gels on my previous marathons although I'm not a huge fan. Anyone got any alternatives? I was thinking short bread biscuits! 

10k and 5 miles to add making 

Ytd: 722.4
  • Options
    Have you tried chews or even plain old sweets? Biscuits might be a bit dry.
  • Options
    Donnie,
    What about Samosas?
    Just kidding.
    In the early days I had sugar cubes (carried in a plastic wrapper of course), one every half hour after the first 90 minutes sort of worked. I also added some salt to my water drink too.

30/07 - 8.25
    31/07 - 13.77
    (22.02)

YTD = 1183.57 miles
  • Options
    Donnie, if you carry drink with you, give Tailwind a go.
    Cal, yup I've got the Dirty Dozen Backyard (4.2 miles every hour for 12 hours...50 miles) on the 1st of October & Race To The Sea 32 miles on the 29th so plenty of time in between....what could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Plenty of discussion here! Seems like I've missed a couple of weeks but it's only been a few days.

Harmander... Belated birthday greetings! And congrats on another pacing job!

Alehouse... Well done on keeping up the 'run-rate'! Yes, really enjoyed watching the triathlons!

Hobie...  Congrats on passing 900'. You just need a different mind-set running in London. You've got October sorted then; a couple of Ultras!!!

Cal... Congrats on passing 900'. Good that you are still able to manage some sub-9 min. miles. I'll need to work hard to see them again!

Donnie... Sorry that I can't  help with Gel alternatives. One of the few times that I tried taking in some solids was on a 50km run; what went down at 30km came back up at 40km! I usually rely on sport drink, even if it means carrying it for at least part of the run.

Tested my new trainers on some longer runs three days ago; 7' for the Asics and 7' for the Mizunos.
    That second run gave me an average pace of 9:21/mile and scored 72% age-grading. Thought I was OK for a longer run yesterday but cut it short, at 7miles, feeling totally washed-out. Might try an easy run this evening but must make this a 'cut-back' week. (11 wks since the last one!)

YTD: 1194' .
  • Options
    New trainers for me today, too, MrM2 (Nike Invincibles). Good easy run shoes - very comfy. Not really suitable for faster stuff. Did 8 miles in them this morning.

YTD: 915
  • Options
    12 miler today...very humid and blech, but got on with it and even threw a few hills into the mix. Not in the new shoes for this.

YTD: 927
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thought I was rested enough for a steady or progressive run but I was fading after six. Completed eight miles but not at the pace I wanted! 

YTD: 1202' .
  • Options
    MrM2, congrats on the 1200 miles and about my new pacing role.

I am up to 68% on my matrix in being ready for the GNR after yesterday's 8.25 miles - I was a bit slower over the same distance today.

02/08 - 8.25
    03/08 - 8.25

(16.50)

YTD = 1200.07 miles
  • Options
    Congratulations on 1200 HarmanderMrM2...impressive mileages.
    Club midweek run & a little bimble for lunch today for me...got some time off next week so should fit in some more interesting stuff.
    919 miles YTD
  • Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Funny week. 

I usually run after work but before tea. Monday night my cricket club were in the evening league club final so went along to watch and today I've been watching professional cricket as Yorkshire played Lancashire in a 50 over per side at a packed cliffton park, York, for a 50 game.. Squeezed in two 5 mile runs. 

Ytd: 733.4
  • Options
    Well done on the 1200 Harmander and MrM2.
    6 recovery today.

YTD: 933
  • Options
    Another 6 logged...like the last two parkruns I've done, Stevenage was also 1.5 miles from the station. Nice parkrun though I'm still not getting any quicker. Another one in the 27s.

YTD: 939
  • Options
    Friday club run last night and a very hot 9 miles on the coast path today...possibly more walking than running.
    933 miles YTD 
    85,971 ft elevation