Options

A 1000 miles in 2022?

Comments

• Options
    Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie: sounds very frustrating. Hope the recovery goes well. 

Cal: 31 miles in two days. I need some of that. Well done. 

Mr MM: glad the recent runs have lifted your spirits. Good luck with the 51 week. 

Two post holiday runs for me, 8.2 and 5.

With the Yorkshire marathon in mid October and my eye still on just sneaking under 4 hours, Sept has to be a big month. 

Ytd: 824. 2
  • Options
    Thank you Cal & MrM2
    I was pleased with a 97% rating for a 13.44 mile paced run yesterday even thogh it was a flat course.

YTD = 1376.98 miles
  • Options
    Hobie, hope it’s not too long on the injury bench.

It’s 11 weeks since fracturing my fibula. I’ve started back slowly with 3k every other day. Still have some swelling in the evening and need to still elevate then but I’m confident I’m on the road back.

YtD 687.39 miles

• Options
    Happy Anniversary, MrM2. I know you MrsM2 haven't had the easiest of times so I wish you a lovely celebration.

Just 4 miles today...bit sore from the gym yesterday so took it easy (this is a cut-back/mini taper for the half, so no worries about mileage this week).

Still, happy to notch up 208 miles for the month, which is my highest total for a couple of years.

YTD: 1115
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie... Sounds like you're staying sane. Hope the recovery will go well.

Donnie... Thanks. All the best with your preparations for Yorkshire.

Harmander... 97% !!! Excellent.

Dubai... Good to see you dropping in again. Almost 3 months now?! But coming back slowly. Great.

Cal... Thanks. Every day is a challenge for Mrs M2 but she remains positive.
    Glad that you are taking it easy this week; you've had a busy month! Hope you really enjoy the Half.

Less said about yesterday's 7 miles the better! It was a Plod! So didn't know what to expect today.
    However, it turned out better than I anticipated. Not speedy but still feeling strong after 13 miles.
    Average pace was 10:25/mile. That brings me to 30 miles for the week, so far. Still going for 51'.

YTD: 1343' .
  • Options
    You're doing better than me, MrM2. I did 6 miles today - felt like 10:xx pace but it was actually 11:xx. It's like all my times are a minute down in terms of pace. I hope it's mostly a case of tired legs and warm conditions and I am back to somewhere closer to my old form when the marathon comes. I'll likely do this weekend's half at MP, or attempt it anyway, rather than racing it.

YTD: 1121
  • Options
    Cal: good luck with the weekend half, aiming for something similar. 

I'm another one in new trainers, asics nimbus. 2nd pair. 

Managed 9.1 at just over 8 mpm last night which I was happy with. 

August was more than expected (110.9) making Ytd 833.3.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Just a 7mile run this evening; making 37 out of the '51 mile week' goal.
    Unable to hold the early (10min/mile) pace for the 2nd half.  (O'all av. pace was 10:18/mile.)

YTD: 1350' .
  • Options
    parkrun this morning, during which I passed 900 miles for the year. All being well will reach 1000 around the end of the month. 

YTD: 901.58  miles
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Well done all. Which parkrun, alehouse?
    Did Edenbrook Country parkrun today - nice course, flat if a bit gravelly. Still well over 27 minutes. I need a rocket up my arse.

YTD: 1124
  • Options
    Fletcher Moss, Cal! The hq is less than 200 metres from my door! One to do next time you are in the area. Probably 40 seconds to a minute slower than South Manchester/Stretford/Alex. Enjoy tomorrow!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Nice 900 alehouse, nothing to report here...apart from I'm catching up on some reading...knee is feeling less painful by the day so hopefully on the mend.
  • Options
    alehouse, is it a flat one? I need a flat one for the day before I run Chester.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Hobie... Sounds like you are making progress. Great!

Alehouse...Steady going from you!

Cal... Well done on the parkrun. Hope you've saved plenty for tomorrow! Sounds like a good plan; to run it at Mara.pace. (Have you decided what that might be???)

Rest day yesterday, so finished off my 51 mile week today, with a 14 miler. Happy with how it went; averaging 10:02/mile pace. (One minute neg.split)   Not sure what pace I'd go for in a marathon just now....

YTD: 1364' .
  • Options
    Race was a bit of a disaster, MrM2...I came close to a panic attack in the tunnel section and on the wide road just after. I've never had anything like this before this year but I've had a few "wobbles" recently, mostly linked to wide roads (though not traffic). Some kind of weird agoraphobia maybe. I managed to fight through it but was so exhausted after I just forgot about pace and tried to focus on getting through the race. Finished just under 2:10. Happy to have fought through, at least.
    Really hoping I don't get anything like this in Chester.
    Great week from you though, well done.
    Hope you and the missus had a decent race, Harmander.

YTD: 1137
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Just popping in to congratulate Cal on battling through today's run.
    Must be very unpleasant to deal with panic.  I remember my father having panic attacks, many years ago. (On advice from the GP he used to carry a brown paper bag with him, then use it for a slow breathing technique.)
    Were you able to judge what your marathon pace might look like?

Recover well!
  • Options
    I'm hoping I can run with the 4:15 pacer, like last time, though I am not confident I can keep up that pace. We'll see.
  • Options
    Cal: sorry to hear about the issues today. Battling on is the only way to deal with this. I've suffered to anxiety for the past few years, avoidance is never the way to go. Good luck with Chester. 

Mr MM: pleased you've achieved 51, a lovely thing. Do you have any events planned? 

I've had a cold for the last 3 or 4 days which has limited my running. Thurs was 5.0, Friday a day off, Saturday I dragged myself around parkrun and today I steady 10k.

Ytd: 847.6
  • Options
    Cal, you asked about parkruns...

I don’t think you have done the following:

Fletcher Moss. All on shale. Rarely muddy or puddly. Whilst there is one hill of note that is run twice it is fairly moderate: I would judge it as around half of the hill at Brockwell, around 200 metres long. There is a second rise that is barely noticeable. All the uphill is over by around 2.7k so it is a nice long flat or downhill cruise to the finish. 

Wythenshawe. Mixture of surfaces but totally flat. I find it quite slow: grass, stony in places, can get muddy/puddly.

Burnage: three modest hills plus steps twice. I have never got the hang of these! Surface is generally shale or tarmac although there are one or two sections that accumulate puddles after rain.

Sale Water Park: flat, but a fair amount is on a stony surface. Last time I did this the stone section was under water.

I have actually written them in order of what I consider to be the easiest to the hardest, not least if wet. Not much in it timewise and at our sort of pace they are all around a minute slower than South Manchester, Stretford or Alex. All are easy to access by public transport. 

Hope the above helps and all questions most welcome! 

Longest run of the year today: just under 76 minutes. Very modest compared to most of you! 

• Options
    Donnie...noted and thanks for the advice. Hope you feel better.
    alehouse...I've walked around Sale and it was very stony so probably give that a miss as I'm not keen to roll an ankle the day before a race. I'll try to persuade my friend to get me to Fletcher Moss although good to know I can get myself there if needs be.
  • Options
    Yesterday: 6 miles at recovery pace. Today: 13 miles (well, a half in fact) with some faster intervals in miles 10-12.

YTD: 1156
  • Options
    10 miles today.

YTD: 1166
  • Options
    Great to see lots of miles still clocking up...knee update...I'm off the crutches, still wearing knee brace and been working from home this week, back in next week on light duties. Sold my half marathon ticket I had for this weekend but marshalling at it so I still feel involved.
  • Options
    That's good, Hobie. I always volunteer at parkrun a lot when I'm banged up. 
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Donnie... hope the cold has gone. In answer to your question about events...My running pace has been so unpredictable recently that I've been reluctant to enter anything. Actually, not quite true...A couple of years ago I booked a place in the Richmond marathon. Sadly I've had to let that go. Could have been running it this week-end but not up to marathon distance in my training. And, the logistics of getting there and getting someone to care for Mrs M2 have ruled it out. Seems unlikely that I'll be doing any more events.

Cal... well done on keeping a good mix going.

Hobie... Good to hear of some progress!

Its been a strange week. Managed a 'brisk' 7 miles on Mon. then a very slow10 miles on Tues.. On Wed. the rain made a mess of the Laundry, and everything needed spinning! Yesterday I had a Covid Booster jab, and today I'm very stiff with lots of aches.

Hoping that life will get simpler, soon.

YTD: 1381' .
  • Options
    Hobie: hope you enjoy your marshaling. I'm another parkrun volunteer when I can't run. Enjoy it. 

Mr MM: running can be very mindful and relaxing and at the moment I hope that's how it's working for you. Keep enjoying it. 

My marathon prep is a bit mixed. Did 10.3 on Tuesday night and wanted the same yesterday. At my planned start time it was absolutely pouring down! Ended up with 5 in 40.16.

Ytd: 862.9
  • Options
    At the mother in laws. Never the best of times. 

Slow run (2.5 km) to parkrun, parkrun (5km) and then a wondering route home making 10.7 miles in total. Averaged about 8.5 mpm. 

Surprisingly, I enjoyed it. Not usually a fan of a parkrun sandwich, you get sweaty, cool down waiting for parkrun to start, then cool down again after parkrun before the final leg. Anyhow, this morning was good and selfishly, I was out of the house!

Ytd: 873.6
  • Options
    MrM2, did you find the booster worse than the previous shot then?

Donnie, well done. Which parkrun was that?

I trekked out to Bevendean Down (in Sussex) which was a notoriously tough one I'd wanted to do for a long while. Took me 31:33 to make it around...definitely hard work though the views were nice. (Also did a warm-up mile).

YTD: 1170
  • Options
    Well done everyone,  parkrun volunteering (training) this morning...slight cock up by me handing out the finish tokens...got numbers 80-100 mixed up with 60 -80 so a bit of results tweaking needed, oh well all good learning. Marshalling Teifi Valley half tomorrow, so still feeling part of it even when I'm resting...feels good to help others though.
  • Options
    MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Donnie. Yes, I'm well aware of the mind-refreshing benefits of running. Decades ago, in my Junior school, deputy hd. years, I'd get home at the end of a long day, and get out for a run; it was like bathing the brain. (Not sure where the energy came from...)
    Hope you can keep the marathon prep. going in the right direction.

Cal... The booster jab seemed OK at the time but was soon followed by flu-like symptoms. Almost three days of aches and stiffness. And heavy perspiration at night. (bedding in the laundry!) I had similar results after one of my earlier jabs.
    Serious parkrun effort today! Well done.

Hobie...Well done on the volunteering! Hope you'll soon be back running.

Body seemed to be returning to normal (?) this morning, so set off for a 'double-figure' run. Called it off after a slow 7. Not to be denied my double figures I went out for a slightly better 4 miles this evening, making it 11 miles for the day. Hopefully the body will be ready to run tomorrow...?

Had notification that the Richmond marathon has had to be postponed  Will be a great disappointment to hundreds, with just a couple of days' notice. (Might help me...?)

YTD: 1392' .