Options

P & D Spring marathon 2023

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Dorney was the only marathon I've DNFd. It was windy and drizzly and my hamstring was getting tight so I thought, sod this, and dropped out at 10 miles. I just wasn't enjoying it. Had it been a single lap or point to point course I think I would have persevered. 
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Unlucky, the weather can be a big factor there as its exposed and if the hamstring is not playing ball, well it can be game over.  I quite enjoyed my run there last year.  Found it a very chilled place to run, flat, liked the lake more or less on your left or right the whole way, the countryside, very easy to park and I do  like lap courses and there werent too many of them. It was also a still and warmish day which helped.  Ran a SB there. 
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Cal - Just using the Hanson's sessions rather than the plan. I just like to mix it up, I know how many miles I want to hit in the week, so then just add in the session I want as my speed work.

Did 10 miles with 3*10 minutes at LT pace, reps were 6:34/6:36/6:31. Felt tough today, but got it done.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Easy 13 miles today, easy pace and HR in right place, but did feel tough, probably some fatigue in the legs from yesterdays session.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Still recovering here though I ventured out for a gentle 3 mile plod this morning.
    Badwater's next week isn't it? All the best, Macca. Doing 34 miles on a very warm day in London was tough enough, thanks.
  • Options
    Well done Cal, I think that's a great result.  Always a bonus not to be completely wrecked at the end too, well done.

OO - I suspected that there would be some winter Sun in those marathons, sounds like a great schedule.

Building nicely with the LTs and midweek MLRs Steve.

Yes, Badwater is next Tuesday (4am Weds UK). I'm flying out Sunday so hopefully a chance to drive a bit of the course and take it easy.  One more sauna tomorrow and that's it for the heat training, I'm getting goosebumps at odd times when it's warm but I've read that's a good sign of adaptation.  I found a pair of Zoom Fly 3 I must have ordered 18 months or more ago which will be my race shoe, hopefully it won't melt on the tarmac.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I had the goosebumps a couple of times during the hot weather last week - that's probably why I didn't curl up and die during my ultra.
    Good luck to you and fingers crossed the shoes hold up. (You're taking a spare pare I hope?)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - I looked up when the Badass race was the other day, I was expecting this weekend rather than in the week. Hope you have a great experience, you've certainly prepared very well and admirably.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Ran low 1.22 at GW the last 2 July race days, hoped for similar today, but a dose of cough and snotty lurgy id had this week and the wind forecast might prevent that.
    As per in training the lurgy didnt seem to bother me much, but the wind was strong. Possibly a kinder direction in the into wind running being broken up, but multiple laps mean there's no escaping it. Looked like being 1.24 or 5 ish after a  few miles, so thought I'd try to get under 1.24 and use a bit of weighting. Pushed on a bit with 3 then 2 laps to go and had a sniff of a low 1.23, strong last few miles resulted in 1.22 .41, so pretty solid on a windy day, converts to sub 255 form, fitness and mechanics are improving. 10 ish weeks til  I go back for the full Monty in the GFA qualifier they've set up, hope for a kinder wind day.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    All the best Macca. I didn't quite appreciate how elite the race is, 60 maleand 36 female runners all running through invite. Have a great adventure. 

Nice one TR.

Change of October marathon plans, now doing the more local Barnstaple marathon in Devon on October 1. Its fast and flat but it was rumoured in 2022 it would not be run again but a local children's charity has taken ut on so want to support it. 
  • Options
    That looks and good result TR, pointing to a very decent time for the full.

Thanks all.  7am here, ko at 8pm tonight Trying to take it easy but we’ve a 4hr journey from the hotel to the start and as few bits of prep to the car.  BA cancelled the direct flight hrs before leaving then the 2nd leg of the connecting flight got cancelled in Chicago so not the best travel but that’s done.  Arriving at night we drive some of the course and the heat was incredible for 3am but the scenery when the sun came up was spectacular.  Apprehensive and excited in equal measure.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    All the best Macca, you're a continued inspiration.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Best of luck Macca.
    Very impressive run at Goodwood TR
    Completed my final leg in the annual Cotswold Way Relay on Saturday.
    8.3M & 1,215 feet off road so reasonably happy with 1:09:20 for 26th place.
    Also raced an even hillier XC on Wednesday but not a great performance - probably still sweating out Glastonbury  :D
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Macca seems to be somewhere between 58 and 72 miles, currently, so he's doing well so far.

Nice one Jools and TR.

Had an OK 8 miler on Sunday so decided to go ahead and enter the last race in the Wimbledon Trail Series, which was tonight. The first two races are 5 miles but the last is 8, though there was a one lap (4.4 option) as well.
    Trouble was, I felt rough as hell Monday and Tuesday...scratchy soft palate again, catarrh and fatigue. I was even wiped out enough to have an afternoon sleep on Monday and a bit of a nap yesterday too. Fortunately I felt a bit better this morning so popped out for a slow 2 mile tester jog.
    I decided to go to the race and I didn't feel too bad, though I had some acid reflux from lunch and afternoon snack. When it came to the point where I could either finish the shorter race or go around for a second lap, I decided discretion was the better part of valour and to leave it there. I am also in for the Asics 10K on Sunday so there was little to be gained from pushing on to 8 miles on a tricky undulating trail course. I ran around 10 minute pace for the 4.4 miles which is alright considering the ups and downs and tricky surfaces. Hopefully I can do a bit better than that on the roads on Sunday.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Macca's finished! Absolutely awesome, mate. Fantastic.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca is a tough nut, well done Macca.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Legend Macca. 💪💪👏👏🏆
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    I was following Maccas progress on the Badwater site what seemed seemingly for days! What a run.  Massive congraulations Macca, mega.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, the heat was nuts but the scenery stunning. Some real highs and lows, I was leading to the first checkpoint (I was in the first wave) and at one point after I had overcooked myself (see point above) and could hardly move, I said that if it was a local race I would have gone home.  All in all, loved it but the heat, guess who forgot to apply Sun cream lol.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You do look absolutely knackered in your presentation video on Strava, I have to say. I hope you're going to have a nice rest now, you've earned that one.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - ouch re the sunburn. Incredible running to complete that one. 135m would make a solid 2 weeks running and you did it in one go in those conditions. What a year you're having, Tokyo, Boston, London, 100m race, Badass 135 and its only just into July.

Few easy days after last weeks 1/2 then 8and 5 Thursday, 10 inc 5m steady yday and 10m inc the moose fartlek today. Last yr i did 20m on the Saturday before the Wednesday Brighton 10k and I wasn't fresh on the weds. Av pace for the 3min was 6.18, and for the 1min was 6.10. Still need to push harder on the 1min reps. But it's all money in the bank. 10 wks til GW mara so back on the 20s next week, as i havnt done one for about 4 weeks.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Do we need a new thread for Autumn? We're well past spring now.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Let's wait for Macca to do a Badass report and then we'll start a new thread?
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yes, good thinking.

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    ASICS 10K today - thankfully not as hot and sticky as yesterday though still warm (mostly overcast). As I'm not fully recovered from the ultra, I figured I'd just aim for under an hour. I usually work in miles but messed up by accidentally pressing my lap button when I was adjusting the position of my watch so I just visually checked the time every time I went past a KM marker, trying to keep it under 6minutes per split. This worked pretty well and I built up a little buffer, finishing in 58:33 with a slight neg split. (HR was high, though, but whatever).
    Course was decent but basically a series of out and backs with tight turns at the end of each one - it did go past plenty of notable landmarks, though. Nice medal and shirt. I don't think it's an EA race, though, but whatever - not like I ran a PB.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Nice one cal, a neg split shows you paced it well after the ultra.
  • Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Middle of the night and not asleep... so decided to have a look how you lot are getting on.  Not read back far... but sounds an amazing run from Macca!  Amazing mileages from Jools too.  5.9 of those miles were in the same XC race as me, a month ago.  I can attest that the course was rather longer than advertised! I was 5 or 6 minutes behind him on 47:xx

I doubt I'll keep up with posting... I just don't log onto my computer as much as I did when I was working, so out of the habit. But who knows.. I would certainly benefit from sharing and learning.

I DNF'd an ultra last weekend 1st July. I (barely) trained for the 50m version. Long story but I ended up running the 75m version (at a few hours' notice)...  and had to withdraw at 55m after 16hr 40... with an average 'moving' pace of 15:30, which was a bit slower than I'd wanted, though it is a pretty tough path to run on.  I really hadn't done the work... only averaged 25mpw in the 13 weeks leading up to it... and 22mpw for the calendar year overall.  I have however shed a fair amount of fat, which is making a difference. Really enjoyed it though on the Wales Coast Path round the Llyn Peninsula. It's just stunning... and well recommended.

Now looking to Abingdon in October. I'd really like to get back to something like 3:25, though that's probably a stretch target.

Is there a list of autumn targets?

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    NE - Good to see you back.
    Macca - Badass, superb running. Not only the distance but the elevation and heat!
    Cal - Superbly paced 10k after the ultra.
    TR - Nice HM result, bodes well for the full!

Had a down week last week (40 ish miles), including a couple of laps recce of the 6 hour route I'll be doing in September. Today was around 11 miles with 6*1 mile at MP-10 seconds, reps were 6:45/45/46/47/44/43, felt comfortable as expected.
  • Options
    Thanks again all.

Well done on the 10k Cal, sensible pacing with the ultra probably still in the legs.

NE - shame about the dnf but you reached your original target of 50m. All the best for Abo.

I'll cobble some notes together on Badwater whilst fresh in mind.  The last week feels like a whirlwind.  I got home Monday and picked up a text from one of my crew on Tues to say he had covid.  Tested positive myself and pretty soon afterwards felt completely rubbish, hopefully a couple of days in bed will sort me out.

Meantime, a pic of the start.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Macca - Recover well.

Did 14 miles this morning, nice and easy (9:15 average), easy 6 miles tomorrow planned.