Options

Tracey Morris

Comments

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    What's happened to Matt O'Dowd anyway - 18 months ago I thought he was meant to be coming through as a serious competitor on the international stage - has he been injured ?
  • Options
    Injured, but I believe he has the qualifying time from last year.

I suspect he will be added if he can prove his fitness.
  • Options
    This thread has moved on since I went for my lunch time run? Matt O'Dowd may have glandular feaver from what I understand from the BBC researchers. His coach Bruce Tulloh told me that Matt had been feeling very tired and couldn't manage training without feeling exhusted. The Chinese...who knows, I think some of the female sprint times are the most suspect.

Getting back to the training quantity question, Bruce Tulloh sums it up nicely with a story he tells about British athletes going to Kenya. They asked how much training they would be doing and were told 2 sessions a day. So they got up and did an hour run with the Kenyan's at the camp before breakfast, went back to bed, got up for the midday session and thought that would be it....until they were told that the next session was at 4 o'clock, when they questioned the third session they were told, 'we don't count the hour run in the morning, it's not fast enough'.

In rality, the ability to be a world class marathon runner does in part depend on being able to absorb the training over two or three years. I don't know of any elite marathon runner who doesn't average around 100 miles a week, mostly around 120 miles a week. The most effiecient ones can take it and become elite runners, those that can't drop out of marathon running...it is the nature of elite sport. There has been much dumming down of training to try to find a level that will enable athletes not to get injured and for the 16 week period between etting your LM acceptance and the race, but I believe it has resulted in lowering standards at the highest level. We can't afford to be soft about it, at that level it is not a past time, it is like premiership soccer, very tough, commercial and rich pickings for those who make it.

My training from 1981 (3rd in AAA Marathon) to 1983 London Marathon looked something like this:
    Sun: am 22 miles. pm 5 miles
    Mon: am 5 miles. pm Hill session
    Tue: am 5 miles. pm 20 x 400m at 5km pace/100m jog rec.
    Wed: am 5 miles. pm 15 miles.
    Thu: am 5 miles. pm 6 x 1 mile reps. 3 mins rec.
    Fri: am 5 miles. pm 5 miles.
    Sat. XC race. or fartlek.

I averaged 113 miles per week for 2 years before winning London. The long runs were slow in the winter, but got faster as the season progressed so that I would be running close to race pace on the long runs in the last 6 weeks before a marathon. Number of reps also reduced and recoveries lengthened so I could run efforts faster - i.e. 10 x 400 in 58 sec/200 jog rec.

In 1985 I started to get injured and that was the end of my elite career...but I wouldn't have changed it to have a longer but less successful one.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Were the 5 milers in the mornings effectively "recovery" runs at an easy pace?
  • Options
    Mike

So what happened to the other runners from that era ?? Bedford,Cram and Coe et al we know about but what about Charlie Spedding, Mike McLeod, Angela and Katherine Tooby - all names that I remember well.

Perhaps I don't get out enough.......
  • Options
    You sure that's Tooby or not Tooby, FR?
  • Options
    Mike, thats some tough training for a week, did you take it a bit easier if you had a road race that week?

Can I extend the debate and ask you why so few men from the UK can achieve a sub 2.15 marathon these days?, I believe 20 years ago there were at least 40 who achieved this time.
  • Options
    Chimp

Ahem - don't tell Mrs (well its OK we weren't married then) but I fancied Katherine something rotten - wasn't reciprocated I'm afraid.....Sob
  • Options
    Dont tell me FR, you married Angela!
  • Options
    Would I be asking what happened to her if I had ????
  • Options
    Mike - You say you averaged 113 miles for two years. Every week the same routine? No cut back week, macro/micro cycles, periodisation, base training?

• Options
    Questions, questions!!

I hardly ever dropped below 100 miles a week except for marathons and the National XC (which I was crap at, so don't know why). I won the 1982 Inter counties 20 miles in 1hr 42mins off a 100 mile week, and won the Southark 5 miles in 23mins something in the afternoon after a 22 mile run with Keith Penney (who was a 47 mins 10miler so it wasn't a slow run). You have to build up over many years to reach that level of fitness and resilience, but it can all come crashing down very quickly if you get it wrong. Ron Hill once ran all 6 legs of a relay...not sure if he won it though.

Charlie Spedding had to retire because of achiles tendon trouble, Steve Jones ran LM this year in 2.50 he lives in Boulder Colorado, Eamonn Martin is coaching, Mike McLeod still pops up in races and I think his son is very good, I think one of the Tooby's married Geoff Whiteman who ran for GB in the European Marathon in the 80's (it is Susan Tooby not Katherine, I think Katherine would have been Kathy Binns who was second in London in 82 (I think) and became a doctor. Of the other UK LM winners, Hugh Jones is still a prolific racer, wins Barbados most years (his wife comes from there), but I'm not sure what has happened to Alaster Hutton - I saw him at the LM 21st birthday party, but not since.
  • Options
    Wasnt there a Susan Tooby as well??

(I dont know, you wait 20 years for a Tooby and three come along at once!)
  • Options
    I ran basically the same quantity year round URR, as did most marathon runners, but the intensity and make up of the mileage was different and we definitely used periodisation - mostly steady miles through Oct/Nov/Dec, changing to heavy intervals and hills in Jan/Feb, then speading up the inetervals and long runs in March/April, the speeding up was a natural consequence of getting fitter as the season progressed. This pattern was used by Rob d'Castella, who put in big, but slow mileage early season and progressively got quicker as the season went on. Steve Monegetti was another who did much the same training throughout the year but changed the emphasis to quicker running the closer a marathon came.
  • Options
    Mike - Interesting, I have just finished Ron Hill's books and there seems to be some similarities with your training. He has achieved his best results on high mileage and racing frequently all year around. However, as far as I understand his training was not very specific, part II doesn't mention track sessions or intervalls very often, only the occasional 880yds. I believe he had a strong base and was able to run sub 2:20 at age 36 on even lower volume.

What's your take on cross training? A lot of people do weights (on purpose I don't!) or plyometrics. Nothing mentioned in your build up in that area.

One more please! I have seen the Ethiopeans practicing almost team racing in XC and at WC level, team based strategy, all runners together. Is this the way forward, the Kenyans couldn't respond to this model, not to mention the European. Could UK Athletics not learn from the Ethiopeans? Is there any collaboration?

Still can't decide if I should join a club, my main worry would be loosing focus and control, possibly worrying about other's training. Hence, does it matter?

Saw Geoff Smith in Boston another 80's hero, he is not doing any running at all, based in US doing some football training with kids as far as I understand.
  • Options
    I did a lot of weights when a track runner, but maintained only one session per week using combination of free weights and multi-gym one I started concentrating on the marathon. Cross training is Ok for those who can't take heavy running training, but the only way to reach the top in anything is to be specific - I doubt if Lance Armstrong does much running in his bike training. You do need to maintain strength and flexibility, both of which are lost by endurance running.

I would join a club if I was you, as long as you do your training and not someone elses you'll be OK, but just running with people of similar standard will help you improve.

Trouble with running as a team like the Ethiopians is that it's not that impressive if your team is minutes behind the leaders - we need to get a few individuals up there first, but training as a team may help. If you look at the history of good clubs, often there is a cluster of good performances when a small group develop together. Invicta had me at 2.09, Nick Brawn at 2.11, Merv Brameld at 2.13, Andy Girling at 2.15 and Martin Knapp at 2.17 all in the early 80's...it would be the same at Coventry, Birchfield, tipton, Gateshead at various times.

I'm sure Ron Hill did speed work, he was an Olympic finalist at 10,000m in Mexico in 1968 and National XC winner.
  • Options
    This stuff is great MG. I think RW should have you giving advice in your own thread in the build up to the London Marathon, maybe on a weekly basis from January onwards.
  • Options
    Can imagine the subscriptions going through the roof when RW's marathon schedule involves you running twice a day, every day for the rest of your life!!!

(joking aside, agree it's fascinating stuff even if I am now knackered just reading it!)
  • Options
    I am listed as a Contributing editor in the RW credits, but haven't done much for a while....maybe if some one picks up this thread it could start something....I organise and coach the RW Spring training Camp in Portugal each year but that's a commercial deal.
  • Options
    are you the guy that runs other sports tours as well
    you know Big tim dont you
  • Options
    Bloody hell, Seaton!!!

Remember that Gratton bloke we pay all those hundreds of thousands of pounds to??

Remember I said he'd disappeared. Well you'll never guess what....!!
  • Options
    Sorry Sean, I'm back...and not being paid for this, although you'll think you already have!

Yep on both accounts PH, Big Tim runs for my club and I own 2:09 Events....but I have been careful not to promote that here...until now, of course.
  • Options
    Just checked the brochure (was below the other rival company) heheheh :)
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Fantastic thread taken me an eternity to read it.

I hope (if you excuse the pun) it will run and run
  • Options
    Thanks Pammie, I'm doing my best but this Mike Gratton character keeps butting in. Slight variation to my training last night and I can report that stopping off for a kebab is also a bad idea in the first 6 miles of a marathon. Will keep you posted.

MG2 (if you're still reading my posts): I know it's an obvious question but what, if anything, would you have changed in your training with the benefit of hindsight?
  • Options
    Resign his job, have 2 hrs kip in the afternoon, drink turtle blood?!!?

:-)
  • Options
    Hi DB, Back at the key board....if I wasn't my own boss I'd probably be sacked by now. I don't think I would have changed much...maybe ease up for a few more races as I think I could have run a much faster 10km than I did but it was always compramised by training for marathons and taken more rest post marathon - I ran the 5th fastest time at the Nat. 12 Stage relay 6 days after winning LM - not a good idea in the end.
  • Options
    I did resign my job after winning LM, but actually got slower, for some people I think keeping the mind active at work is better than sitting around waiting for the next session.....watching Neighbours twice a day is enough to drive you insane.

Turtle blood, now if only we had the technology in the 80's?