Options

Tracey Morris

Comments

• Options
    Hmm, you could be right, Chimp. He claims to be able to broadcast in digital, I mean really, can anyone remember all those numbers?
  • Options
    Imp, it is a good sign if there are lots of kids running 800 and 1500, I ran in 3 english schools 1500 finals...it's getting them to shift up to longer distances where they have to do 20 x 400 instead of 8 x 400 which is the problem to be solved.
  • Options
    Oops, he's back.

You're right about the paper flapping about (very distracting, page 3 as well). Oerhaps you do know a bit about training after all.
  • Options
    >> Psst DB, dont forget, say "Mr Grover" <<
  • Options
    My limted theory about why some of the top British male runners do not make the step up relates to the working environment most of us have.

For example I've read that Ron Hill and Steve Jones did most of their sessions as part of their daily commute. How may of todays current crop have the opportunity to do this?

I am sure most of us can't - I'd be on 500 mile + weeks if I did this!
  • Options
    Going back a bit to Tracey's times and how they relate to the marathon (yes I know this is ruining the thread now it has moved on, but anyway...)

Her 10k PB is 33:22 (from Good Friday in Salford - that was 9 days before the marathon) and her half-marathon PB is 1:13:44 (from January at the Brass Monkey in York).

Frank Horwill reckons you can predict your marathon time by
    a) multiplying your half-marathon time by 2 and adding 6.5 minutes [which would give Tracey 2:33:58], or
    b) multiplying your 10k time by 5 and subtracting 10 minutes [which would give Tracey 2:36:50]

Seeing as she did 2:33:51, the half-marathon calculation seems quite accurate, and although these things can never be quite right for everything, it would suggest that she can run a bit faster for 10k.
  • Options
    U/A. According to those calculations, I could run a sub-4 hour marathon but I know I couldnt. Would give my right leg to run sub 4:30. Are they accepted calculations? (ie, am I just a lazy git?)
  • Options
    Work is a problem, but if someone realy wants to get to the top they can organise it. I was a PE teacher and used to run in in the moring and home or to the track in the evening. My Wed. used to be teaching geography in the morning, cross country club at lunch time, 6th form hockey all afternoon and 15 mile run in the evening....followed by a few pints in the Royal Dragoon in Canterbury to deaden the soreness. I didn't own a car and ran everywhere - this would be a problem if I had to drive around the country for meetings, I guess not too impressive to turn up in a soaking wet t-shirt and salt encrusted around the eyes!
  • Options
    Might be better to give an arm, Chimp. Giving a leg could reduce your chances dramatically. Trust me, I know from experience, I once put my doner card into a cash machine and it cost me an arm and a leg. My name's DavidB, I'm here all week, thank you.
  • Options
    I agree that if someone really wants to get the the top and runnning is the prime focus then for example, they would only take a job within running distance of home (or move), but surely this must be one of the reasons why there is not so much strength in depth?

Chimp, I believe those calculators are fairly accurate at indication potential, but you need the appropiate aerobic training and some people are just better at shorter distances.

PS good to see you had a few pints
  • Options
    depends on your job too
    not all of us work 9 to 5
  • Options
    Chimp, I think those calculations are based on times achieved when training for a marathon - so you wouldn't necessarily use your personal bests over a long period, you would go by what you were doing roughly the time of the marathon. Or so I reckon...

Mike, what do you think is the cure for the relative mediocrity of men's marathon running here in the UK, or is there one?
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    If they wanted time to train surely they could just become a student?
  • Options
    I think Tracey has possibly started the cure....if there are enough people out there who think if Tracey can do it so can I then there may be a belief that it is achievable and they will train for it. It's the desire to get to the top not the infrastructure which is the problem and there hasn't been enough with the belief that it is attainable and worth the extroadinary effort that is required.

Incidently, I spoke to a group of but 40 marathon runners on the UK squad weekend at Winchester in Feb. and Tracey was there for that, they seemed to take on board the need for hard training and maybe we're starting to see things improve.
  • Options
    Actually I can agree with you on one point; since I've known Tracey and seen how hard she trains, I've started training harder than I ever have before. It's meant lots of new PB's!
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    The thing is though Tracy is 36 isn't she (not knocking 36 year olds I'll be one myself next week!).

Looking in the marathon magazine that came with our entry it was notable that quite a lot of the female contenders were in their 30s. Now I know that distance running is not a sport where you peak early but even so I'd be interested to know the history of these runners. Is there some reason why talented runners are leaving it late to reach their peak - probably too late to really fulfill their potential? Is it the lack of financial reward in running in the UK coupled to there being alternative (I imagine that in say Ethiopia the alternatives to a running career are typically fewer than in the UK) careers means that a lot of out talent is being lost to optometry and who knows what else.

Also as regards training time I'm not sure this is a valid excuse. I do a bit of road cycling and typically good amateurs are putting in many hours training for what is just a hobby - and quite an expensive one too. The equivalent of 100 mile running weeks (in time) is not as unusual as in running. I think most people could spare 90 minutes to two hours a day plus longer sessions at weekends if they really wanted to.

Just a thought but running raises quite a lot of money for charity. I'm not against that but perhaps some of that money should go back into the sport to develop better facilities, club houses etc. Not just for elite or possible elite athletes but things that would benefit all runners - but that would also have a positive benefit to the people who might get to international level? I mean in football local non-league teams raise money for themselves, for the pitch, a small stand, a clubhouse and bar etc - this seems much less the case in running.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, Mike.

All very interesting, ta.
  • Options
    Most clubs do benifit from the numbers of people running. My club organises the Canterbury 10 miles which has around 1000 runners each year, the profits for that have gone into a contribution towards laying an all-weather track at Canterbury High School and an extension of the new sports hall for a club room.

Now that is in place - after 20 years of campaigning the money raised from club promoted events hopefully will go towards developing more coaching infrastructure and support for members.

The sport itself gets the proceeds from the £1 levys to unattached runners, in the last race I organised I signed a check for £700 to UK athletics, multiply this by the number of decent sized races taking place each week.

One thing I can't understand is why UK Athletics doesn't try to create a major event for itself, if private companies can make a living out of creating the LM, Great North Run and the other Great race series events, why isn't the governing body cashing in on it?
  • Options
    Mike, I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions, but as you've been a top marathoner I reckon you're a good person to ask.

You've mentioned that distance runners obviously need to work hard to achieve good performances, but we know it's all too easy to overtrain - so I was wondering, what do you reckon is too much? Is it necessary to train twice a day? How slow is too slow?

I've heard lots of opinions on these matters, but none from anybody elite.
  • Options
    Speaking of training hard, how much it takes to get to the top and all that, I just wondered whether people knew what's happened to <a>href=2http://sport.guardian.co.uk/athletics/story/0,10082,1187970,00.html">Wang Junxia, the 10k world record holder.

I found the article quite enlightning (boy, speak of training hard!), and I am not ure I feel as cynical about her as I used to.
  • Options
    Oh bu$$er! Try again:

Speaking of training hard, how much it takes to get to the top and all that, I just wondered whether people knew what's happened to <a>href=2http://sport.guardian.co.uk/athletics/story/0,10082,1187970,00.html">Wang Junxia, the 10k world record holder.

I found the article quite enlightning (boy, speak of training hard!), and I am not ure I feel as cynical about her as I used to.
  • Options
    Oh bu$$er! Try again (I am gonna be here all afternoon!):

Speaking of training hard, how much it takes to get to the top and all that, I just wondered whether people knew what's happened to <a>href="http://sport.guardian.co.uk/athletics/story/0,10082,1187970,00.html">Wang Junxia, the 10k world record holder.

• Options
    Oh bu$$er! Try again (I am gonna be here all afternoon!):

Speaking of training hard, how much it takes to get to the top and all that, I just wondered whether people knew what's happened to <a><href="http://sport.guardian.co.uk/athletics/story/0,10082,1187970,00.html">Wang Junxia, the 10k world record holder.

• Options
    I've had enough! Please copy&paste!!!

:-(
  • Options
    Wang Junxia story fixed it :)

Yes, she was regularly drinking turtle blood. As far as I remember, Kenyan's enjoy drinking goat's blood and wasn't Liz McColgen enjoying black pudding? Must be some magic about it!
  • Options
    Cheers, URR!

What's do you think of her performances? You think they were dodgy?
  • Options
    I remember a few years ago reading an article of some sort about Paula Radcliffe and she revealed that up until about 1995 she had assumed that none of the great distance runners of the time were taking performance-enhancing drugs or hormones or whatever - and why should she have?

I think it showed that we always assume that it was the Eastern bloc countries and their 'associates' in places like China that were the main drug abusers, but it happens with African runners as well (especially when they move to America or Europe).

And as for the Americans and their anti-drug 'stance', well that's on another thread.
  • Options
    I'm prepared to give the Chinese the benefit of the doubt. You can't really pick and choose what records you believe otherwise you'd go mad. to be honest, I think the women's records were a bit soft and Paula has shown that the Chinese marks are not out of this world. The women's 5k record could go this year and I reckon we'll see several women break 30mins for 10k.
  • Options
    They changed the design of the women's javelin and Petra Felke's amazing world record of 80m was gone, just like that!

They can't do that with the running events (although I wouldn't put it past them) so some of the records seem set to stay forever. (And not just those by the Eastern Europeans, the 100m and 200m records are held by a certain Florence Griffith-Joyner).
  • Options
    Well, I thought Bob Beamon's long jump record would never been broken. Until Powell and Lewis had their duel.

I agree with Lornah Kiplagat, who by the way just recently broke Paula 5k road world best.

IAFF site: ... [
    She has run incredible times, but always I have said: ‘If Paula has done it, in a human way, in human blood, then somebody else can do it’. What she has done has never shaken me at all. I have a lot of respect for what Paula has done. She has taught us there are no limits. The question now is: ‘How many other people can do the same?’ ]