Options

Tracey Morris

Comments

• Options
    Have been reading this thread with interest, as in some ways it is the reverse of my experience in the 80's when I ran 2.12.06 to get a Commonwealth Games bronze medal and won London in 2.09.43 in 83, but didn't get selected for the 1984 Olympics as I was behind Charlie Spedding who won LM in 84, Hugh Jones who had finished 5th in the World Champs and Geoff Smith who was second in New York with 2.9.06. All of us had proper jobs and ran 100+ miles per week to and from work. I was disappointed at the time, but had to concede that the other 3 had equally good claims to be selected - so I missed out.

Currently we're sending people to the Olympics who have qualified with times 9 mins behind the mens world best and 19 mins behind the Womens World best. Traceys performance was terrific and as she is an improving athlete who will do very well in Athens, however we have to look at the reality of the situation and not expect too much in Athens. The athletes selected deserve their place and I hope that the fact they got there inspires more athletes to realise that with sufficient hard training it is possible for them too, and the overall standard of UK marathon running gets back where it should be.
  • Options
    Good points Mike but do you think the reduction in numbers of Marathons in the UK has led to the falling off of British performances. I've mentioned on other threads that the UK marathon (especially the English marathon) is becoming an endangered species. The numbers on unsuccessful entrants to FLM suggests a booming sport. The fact that large cities such as Sheffield, Leeds and Manchester have abandoned marathons suggests otherwise.

Someone mentioned (might have been on this thread) that Tracey failed to reach a GFA time but with the current dearth of marathons it is becoming increasingly difficult to do so which in turn will surely lead to a relaxation of GFA times to fill the FLM "elite" race and so it goes on.
  • Options
    I don't necessarily think lack of other marathons affects the elite end since few elites would run other UK marathon unless they were a trial for something else. The big problem is lack of depth at 10km; at the moment there is no one in the UK who has posted a road 10km time under 30 mins, yet you will need to do 4 of them back to back to run a world class marathon.

Tracey wasn't entirely unknown in the sport and the likes of Bud Baldero have the job of checking results and will be aware of people making this kind of progress. Bud and others in UK athletics act as a safety net and will always be able to get athletes showing the right kind of progress into London.
  • Options
    How come there were male pacemakers in the women's race, or did my eyes deceive me? I'm sure that the men started much later than the men, so they wouldn't have caught up on the leading British women, who they seemed to be running with (or at least some of the British women). Was this year's women's race a 'mixed' race like Paula's world record last year?
  • Options
    I am pretty sure the pace makers were female as Liz Yelling was one and they kept going on on the bbc about how the winner would get the women's record rather than the mixed record if they beat the time.

Maybe the people you saw were just really masculine women?
  • Options
    No, the pacemakers that were with the leading British women were certainly men and they were helping Birhan Dagne out in particular. Liz Yelling was a pacemaker for the race in general (i.e. for the top women overall).

Mind you, my eyesight is getting worse with age. I wonder if there's a friendy optician who could help?!
  • Options
    popsider, one simply couldn't be certain that PR would have achieved 2.30 with a full time job. I also think that if TM didn't achieve more was probably down to circumstance rather than character.

MG2, I agree that people shouldn't expect too much from TM in Athens, but I am sure she'll do herself justice. Also, do you think you would have done better / gone faster if you didn't hold down a full time job and concentrated all your time and energy on your training?
  • Options
    Have been reading Ron Hill's books. He worked full time, ran almost every day to and from work (8m). Of course he had family too and a house to maintain. In my opinion it's all about dedication and how badly you want it.
  • Options
    URR, hope you're not saying that PR would have got her 2.15 if she had a full time job?!?!

She wouldn't be able to have those 2 hours kip in the afternoon, for a start! And all that time she spends training at altitude (Mexico, Alps,...), ... and ... and ...
  • Options
    Mike, I agree the elites are unlikely to run much in the way of the smaller marathons and I accept to a point your argument on 10k running although I'm not sure anyone who could post regular sub-30 minute 10k's would necessarily want to run a marathon. However the lack of marathons means that many road-runners do not have the opportunity to test themselves at this distance in the first place. Further, of those marathons that are on the calendar, some have "hidden" cut-off points that do not become apparent till the cheque is cashed (White Peaks, Leicester) and others manage to clash (Stoke on Trent, Blackpool). The point I'm making is that it is becoming increasingly difficult for road-runners to make that leap from half-marathon to marathon.

I accept that Tracey isnt the total unknown that many of the papers are making out; however, she is a club runner and the fact that Sunday was only her second marathon (and even then, she got in via unusual means) begs the question, how many more Traceys are out there?

Bud Baldaro cant be everywhere and "pulling strings" (Tracey's words), whilst perfectly acceptable in this case is hardly the basis of future marathon success
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Which are the fast ones, Chimp? Not that I want to "defend" the emphasis on London, but it is known for being a fast course, and of course the psychological boost of being cheered by 100,000+ supporters all the way around must make a difference.
  • Options
    Wayfarer - LOL, my point is a full time job should not prevent you moving towards world class level. It's highly individual, some people actually need the additional distraction of a job while others prefer to concentrate full time on running only. There are sponsored runners, never been able to achieve the same level as before they went pro.

BTW Japanese 2:08 marathoner Satoshi Osaki, works full time for NTT, has hardly any holiday, no time for altitude training and does all his training after work.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I'm mot sure about lack of marathons Chimp - certainly round here within 40 miles of my house youve got

Notts, Leicester,White Peak, Potteries and Wolves

Is this not the case throughout the rest of England?
  • Options
    Chimp

I can only speak from my own experience, but I've formed the view that one of the reasons that provincial marathons fold is lack of local support. By that I mean support from councils, police and businesses. Certainly Sheffield suffered from this for years - local businesses whinged that closing the roads for a few hours one sunday a year would send them bankrupt, the police had pressure put on them to keep costs to a minimum and would only keep roads closed for a 4-4.5 hour marathon, and forced the route out of the city centre for "Safety" reasons. The result was that in 2001 the majority of the marathon course was actualy in Rotherham or the wastelands between Sheffield and Rotherham. That for many people was the nadir that the event never recovered from.

What cities like Sheffield need to do is embrace their own culture and stop trying to compete with London.
  • Options
    I think Chimp has a point when he mentions the lack of marathons leading to a lack of marathoners.

In Ireland, we used to have some great male marathon runners - John Treacy, Jerry Kiernan, Danny McDaid are just a few - and although we've had a few good successful athletes in the last 10 years or so (Sonia O'Sullivan, Catherina McKiernan, Mark Carroll), we just don't have the depth of talent anymore.

It could be down to all the normal reasons of people doing other sports, not enough money etc., but every time I read the results in the 'Irish Runner' magazine the majority of races are shorter than 10k! It's all 4 mile and 5 mile races. One article mentioned the fact that there were no races longer than 10 miles between about November and April! (I think there are about 6 in total in the whole country over the whole year!) There are very few half-marathons either. We're not overloaded with marathons as you'd imagine (Belfast and Dublin are the main two).

If athletes aren't racing each other over at least these distances then they're not suddenly going to run 2:15 for the marathon - or even 2:20. And that goes for athletes no matter where they come from!
  • Options
    Popsider, I've copied a reply that Barnsleyrunner posted on another thread

"Just dug out an old marathon book from the early 80s. It lists 97!!!! UK marathons for 1983.

Chimp mentions the dearth of marathons in the North of England. That year we had

Horsforth
    Stockport
    Bradford
    Manchester
    Sheffield
    North Tyneside
    Wear Valley
    Wirral
    Rotherham
    Great Northern (Scarborough)
    Mersey
    Humber Charity
    Cumbria Lakes
    Macclesfield Silk
    Chesterfield
    Leeds
    Barnsley."

That's 7 in Yorkshire, 2 in Leeds alone. there's currently not a single road marathon in Yorkshire and only Blackpool in Lancashire.

(Thanks Barnsleyrunner, hope you dont mind)
  • Options
    It's not the case that because there are fewer marathons now that there are fewer opportunities to get to the top. When I started my marathon career in 1979 there were only a handful in the UK, I won the Poly Marathon in 2.19 an finished 4th in Harlow in 2.18. Outside of those events there realy wasn't that much else. The marathon boom came after 1983, after the top Brits were already established as marathon runners.

The big difference is the lack of depth at 10km. At the time we had our best marathoners we also had our best 10km runners, including Steve Jones who set a world best in his first marathon and Eamonn Martin who won London as his first marathon.

There may be some athletes out there who will come through the ranks from 2.20 to 2.10 like Hugh Jones and myself, but even we had 29 min 10km credentials, but most world beaters now must be 27.30 10km runners. Not all good 10km runners will make good marathoners - if their physiology doesn't suit the marathon they won't make it, but the fact is if you can't run sub 30 in a 10km you can't run a 2.09 marathon.

I moved up to the marathon because even as a past English Schools winner I was not fast enough on the track to beat Coe, Ovett, Cram, etc., any one running slower than 27 mins for 10km now has little chance to win at international level and rally should move up to the marathon.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice Mike, I run 10Ks slower than 27 mins and so will move up to the Marathon :-))
  • Options
    I run 'em so slow that there probably isn't a long enough distance for me to move up to.......
  • Options
    Don't missunderstand me - we're talking elite here. 10km is plenty far enough for me these days and I'm much slower than 27 mins.
  • Options
    You had to spoil it didn't you.
  • Options
    Suspect that the reason for the demise of the marathon probably falls somewhere in between the two and the point that Fell Running makes about large councils now wanting to wash their hands of marathons is also valid. I suspect the larger cities wanted to replicate the FLM and once thay realised this wouldnt happen they lost interest.

The point you make about 10k races is interesting. I've been in a fair few of these races over the past few years and I'm scratching my head trying to remember a sub-30 minute finish. Must be honest, I hadnt considered the fact that to be a first-rate marathon runner you need to be a first-rate 10k runner. Having said that though, doesnt Tracey somewhat buck that particular trend; although she did an impressive Brass Monkey I'm not aware of any fast 10k's. Even Paula's success as a marathon runner could not have been predicted by her performance at 10k.

DavidB, have you just talked yourself into Abingdon 2005?? Think you have.
  • Options
    I think Paula's 30 mins for 10km equates to a 2.15 marathon, which is what she did and what most men of 30min 10km standard doing marathon training would reasonably expect to do.

I suspect that now Paula has shown the other elite women what is possible some of the current 30 min female 10km runners will target a big city marathon after the Olympics as they offer spectacular pay days to any of them that can challenge Paulas world best.

Don't forget that Tracey is 19 mins slower than Paula over a marathon, so her 10km is also going to be less impressive - but without knowing I guess she has run around 34 mins or quicker.
  • Options
    Maybe there should be a marathon league that normal runners could be encouraged to take part in. Different cities, well spaced out time-wise. That Puma/Reebok thing where they they caculate results according to age etc might be an idea for lesser runners to feel they are competing, relatively, with faster runners. I'd have thought that there are enough recreational runners who could make it viable.
  • Options
    John Mayock went sub 30 the last time I ran the Percy Pud 10K - mind you thats a net downhill course.

Funny about PR, once she'd cracked the marathon she really seemed to come alive over 10K as well. Almost like she suddenly believed she could do it.....
  • Options
    From the telegraph - she is the Welsh 10k champion and has won a couple of other 10k as well, seems to have run these in about 36 mins:

"Her new world dawned last November, 15 years after she had hung up her spikes as a Welsh Schools athlete in her native Anglesey, and a year after she had started training with a local Leeds athletics club because her evening jogging was "a bit lonely".

She said: "I went home to Anglesey and I went to see my auntie, who is a PE teacher and a keen runner and she said, 'Oh, why don't you run in our 10-kilometre race this weekend?' Well, it also incorporated the Welsh championship and at the end of the race, they announced that the girl who came second was the new Welsh champion."

It is typical of her unfeigned modesty that Tracey did not mention that she came first - "So my Auntie goes up to the organisers and says, 'Hey, Tracey is Welsh, so why isn't she the champion?' And they look at me and they say, 'Who are you?' "

The Welsh officials obviously liked the answer because they asked Tracey to wear the red of Wales in a 10-kilometre race the next month in Leeds called the Abbey Dash, which she won."

• Options
    Apologies, was looking at 2002 results, she did the Abbey Dash in 33:23
  • Options
    Chimp: according to my personal coach, Mike Gratton, it's the obvious career move for me. However, I've never run more than 10K before so I shall try 26.2 miles tonight just to see how it feels.
  • Options
    She's an excellent story and reminds me of Pracila Welch who started running in her 30's to keep her husband company when he was doing his services fitness test. She made her breakthrough while training in the Hebredes wearing a pit helmet to see the way. She went on to run sub 2.30, finish in the top 20 of the Los Angeles Olympics and win the New York Marathon when she was 40....it can be done.