Options

New York Marathon 2002 The Original

Comments

• Options
    NR - I like the positive outlook, good luck for your 18 miler. I did 7.5 this morning and all was well, but then all was well until 12 on saturday. No, no, that's negative!!!! I am alright and will be ready for New York.

Martin - well done. If you look back through this thread you will see I'm keeping a record of which forumites are going and where staying etc. with a view to us meeting up in NY. e-mail your details from this post if you want to be included
  • Options
    Oldbones
    Did I say I was from Surrey ? The 15 miler was around the famous Ladybower, Derwent and Howden dams up in the Peak District. It was superb and would make a good route for an organised race. It could be called The Dambusters 16 !

NewRunner - Stay positive, Try and get something positive out of each run etc. You'll be there, you've got the determination.

Martin
    Yeah man, do it if, Have a go !

Seaweed
    Might try Joosters next.
  • Options
    Bobolink - sorry, it was a pathetic attempt at humour which failed miserably!!
  • Options
    ...and I haven't been out at all! Can't tomorrow either so Thursday is the next trip. Martin - we're all nuts on this thread so do join us!

SY3
  • Options
    Phew - did a nice 5 mile tonight - nothing hurts, felt easy ...roll on 18 on Thursday!
  • Options
    That's the way NR. !

O.K. Guys, how about getting together in New York ? Any suggestions. we could discuss ideas at Windsor but I suspect we will be too busy enjoying the day.
    How about those of us arriving on the Thursday getting together in the morning and going to the Jarvitts Centre together ?
  • Options
    I went out for a 4 miler last night, it was hell! For the first two and a half miles I felt like bleugh and it was only the last bit I found easier. this does not bode well for my long run this w/e.
  • Options
    Thanks George!
    A for meeting in NY I think Old Bones should let us know the last arrival time for the last person and then we can all meet up together? I figure hotel lobby bar (any of them would do) Saturday afternoon?(I'm adding my thoughts as I'm not going to WIndsor!)
    GNASHER - My turn to be inspiring. I KNOW that sometimes we have off days - thing to do is accept you had a bad run, put it behind you and think how great you'll feel after your next good run. Not long to go now - it'll be time to taper down in a few weeks so keep it up!!
  • Options
    Oldbones - No need to apologise, sometimes I wish I was from Surrey ! Like the running skeleton by the way ! My attempts to occupy that space have so far failed . I can't get a jpeg or gif file reduced to the right pixels yet.
    NewRunner
    Let us all know how you get on Tursday.

George
    I guess we shall be arriving around midday and be in Manhatten around about 2.00pm so we might be pushing it for registration.

Getting together in New York ? I believe Oldbones is working on it.

Gnasher
    Sometimes it just goes like that. Your long run this w/e could be altogether different again.
  • Options
    At this stage in the pre:FLM build-up I was experiecing a few runner's highs, which was brilliant. This time around not a single endorphin has been released which makes lugging my frame around without stimulous not much fun!!!

As I am one of the friday arrivals in NY I wouldn't want the meet to take place without us. I've rec'd some more info which I will look at shortly but I think SY3 will be the last arrivee as he leaves Heathrow @ 14.00 on the 1st Nov. We don't need to do fancy, as NR says, a lobby bar of the most convenient hotel would do.

Happy birthday for the weekend SY3 - how old?
  • Options
    42 today!!! Have distributed cakes to half the office that sy3 (that's little SY3 in case you didn't spot the subtlety!) made. But will do most celebrating at the weekend. Mrs SY3 has bought me a HRM.

Sorry to hold everyone up with the meet!! Yes I leave Heathrow on the Virgin flight at 2 (assuming no delays)and arrive at JFK at 16.40. It'll be very busy at JFK then, so assume clear the airport in an hour, then another hour to Manhattan - earliest I could meet realistically is 7.30 - 8pm. otherwise it'd have to be Saturday morning - if we're all doing the friendship run we could meet after that, or perhaps before - and even if we're not we could still meet after it to give everyone time to get up and out. I did try to get an earlier flight but alas all booked.

Will be going out at the weekend for a longie - will aim for 21 - 22 miles. I got hideous trots at about 16 - 17 last weekend, so will have to research loo stops and dose up on the Imodium.

SY3
  • Options
    Those of us arriving on the friday will probably want to get the registration/expo out of the way on that day so I think saturday is the logical option, probably after the friendship run and before the past party.

I don't want to sound a wimp but isn't 4 miles a bit far the day before a marathon??

Looking at the projected times given on our spreadsheet, apart from the hares who will have dashed off into the distance, between 4 & 5 hours is going to packed with forumites. Perhaps we could do it as a 32 legged race!!!
  • Options
    OB - What fun it would be to at least try and run together - thing is not sure we're gonna be able to spot each other that easily on the day - few other people running too!! I have a feeling men and women start from different points too!
    As for the fun run - 4 is too far for me!I'll be resting!
    OK - someone want to suggest a hotel for a 5pm (?) meeting on the Saturday?
  • Options
    After the Friendship run and before the pasta party sounds like a good idea to Mrs Bobolink and me but whatever.
  • Options
    PS HAppy Birthday Sythree!
  • Options
    NR - I'm sure we can all find a way to meet for the race but I can't believe they segregate men & women. There must be hundreds of couples who want to run together. Are you ready for the 18 miler?
  • Options
    I'm gearing myself up mentally. Feels like i'm about to take a huge exam ?? To be honest hamstring hurts a little but am going to go nice and slow and just do my best (7 hours later probably still be running!)

I'm sure I read that they do start the women and men seperatly but then we all converge at some point...
  • Options
    NR - take it easy, time on feet is more important than speed and distance on the long runs.

The pasta party goes from 4.30 to 8.30 with the fireworks at 7.30. A couple of us are staying at the Mayflower Hotel which overlooks the Tavern on the Green where the party is held. As everyone will be converging in that area anyway at roughly the same time, what if the meet was at the Mayflower at 5ish?
  • Options
    Thanks OB - will log on late afternoon and let you know if I did it!
    Mayflower is fine by me.
  • Options
    NR, good luck for your 18, I am sure you can do it. At the start just keep telling yourself to keep the pace down and keep yourself relaxed and then before you know it all 18 miles will be completed.
  • Options
    Yep - Mayflower at 5 is great. Did you say in the bar or in the lobby? I'll make sure I'm back from the expo in time!

Incidentally, who's planning on the friendship run? - I wasn't planning on doing it - don't want a silly last minute injury and besides it's a bit early!

Thanks for birthday wishes all!

SY3
  • Options
    In my innocence I assumed everyone did the friendship run but was a bit concerned about doing that distance the day before the marathon. Probably won't do it now then. I can see the finish from my hotel.

Unless anyone comes up with a valid reason not to, shall we meet then at the Mayflower Hotel, Central Park, in the lobby at 5pm? I'll be the very knackered looking bloke with a silly grin on!!

Going anywhere special tonight SY3?
  • Options
    HI Mayflower great for me plus mrs seaweed and 2 little seaweeds 5.00 no prob.Yes we are all doind friendship run, well we willbe walking most of it as smallest seaweed is only 5.Its part of the hol for us.keep up the hard work 5 weeks 5days left. Chris
  • Options
    No, as no babysitter for littl'un but we're going to the cinema on Saturday to see the Greek wedding film and then probably on to The Three Fishes (for the benefit of non-locals, a no-smoking pub in downtown Shrewsbury - not that S'bury has much of a downtown!). Chris you've given me a helluva fright - 5 wks 5 days - is that all...and you started all this way back when! Def not doing the friendship run, don't see the point of it either to be honest.

Where's cheeky monkey these days?
  • Options
    I've missed a whole heap of these posts, do I have to drag myself through each one again? Or..will some kind soul tell me what has been decided re: meeting. I am happy to give a mobile number via e-mail to any of the 1st timers running. This might help me if no-one else!
  • Options
    Gnasher - we're meeting on the Saturday at 5pm in the lobby of the Mayflower Hotel - it's on Central Park West, very close to the finish line. Go up a bit from Columbus Circle and you can't miss it.

SY3
  • Options
    Happy birthday SY3! And good luck with the long run NR - take it easy, and you'll be fine! Meeting plan sounds like a good plan. I was thinking of doing the International Friendship Thingy, but not so sure now...
  • Options
    GUESS WHAT...I'M BACK AND...I DID IT! it took me a steady 3 and a half hours with a small break half way for a banana and a quick stop at McDonalds for the toilet. Did a bit of walking too - but you know what - I dont care how long it took! I did it! Feeling very very happy as I set off for my weekend away! Good luck to all of you for long rus and/or Windsor this weekend. Thanks for all your support - jsut kept thinking that there was no way I was gonna let this thread down by not doing it!
  • Options
    Congrats on your run NR, we all knew you could do it:)
  • Options
    NR and OB - Looks like men and women with PB/predicted race time under 4 hours are segregated but those over 4 hours are not. You can opt out of your start group if you want to run with a partner in a nother group but have to join the slower of the two.