Options

New York Marathon 2002 The Original

Comments

• Options
    I'm doing mine tomorrow am and will be thinking about all us positive forumites! Usual route OB - up the inner bypass, through Harlescott & Battlefield, town & out to Bicton Church.

SY3
  • Options
    NR - no fear - definitely waiting til Sunday for the alcohol to filter from my system before venturing too far from home! Good luck to all with those big 'uns, I'll be thinking happy thoughts for those of you out tomorrow through my vodka hangover....roll on 5 o'clock!
  • Options
    SY3 - what time are you going so I will know if its you going past me at a rate of knots!! I've just got one of those double bottle belts to save me going round beforehand dropping water off but I fear I look a bit too Rambo-ish with it so if you see a bloke with a strange hump under his vest then that will be me!!

Anyone heard from Caketin lately? I've got her name on the list but she hasn't been in touch with her details yet.
  • Options
    Probably leaving as early as I can - about 8am ish I guess. It usually takes me about an hour to get to the railway bridge over Battlefield Link Road, and to avoid having to bring water I stop off at a shop in Castlefields towards the bottom of Ellesmere Road - near the railway bridge there.

SY3
  • Options
    I recently invested in a Camelbak hydration waistpack thingy to use on long runs. Running round, sucking on a blue tube - don't half get some funny looks. Ah well.
  • Options
    Cheeky monkey, if I told people that I spent the weekend thinking about a cheeky monkey I'd be institutionalised pronto !!! Well done on your enthusiasm recovery.

How did your 18 miler go NR ? ( notice I don't ask IF you did it ).
    I've got the Swansea 10k race on Sunday, its the race where it all started for me last year , so its a big one ! then I plan to run the 12 miles home afterwards. With a couple of miles pre race warm-up, I should be close to four hours running !!!!
  • Options
    George. UTTER PANTS. Ran 15 and then honestly - everything seized up, so I stopped. V unhappy. Can only hope next week is better. hope everyone else did OK!
  • Options
    nope!!! terrible run this morning! All ok until about 12 miles and then the quads started seizing. I had to run/walk until 15 and then walk the last mile as I feared doing pre:NY damage. I'm totally confused as the only time I've ever had that was in London this year at 19 miles. Even on all the long London training runs everything was fine.

I was well carbo loaded and hydrated and apart from carrying a radio and new twin pack water carrier for the first time nothing was different to any other run.

One positive though, SY3 & I met on our respective runs and believe it or not we know each other! Not by name but we used to use the same gym together and I've seen him a couple of times on long runs. He's very fit folks!! Lean & chiselled. When we met he looked very comfortable, the same flesh colour as when he started his run probably, whereas I who had run half the distance in twice the time was the usual wringing wet beetroot. How do people not do that?

Anyway, I now know there's a lot to do between now and November. Good luck all!&
  • Options
    Hi NR & oldbones, sorry to here that the runs didn't go acording to plan. NR, if you seized up due to muscle problems then you did the right thing by stopping, no point in making anything worse.
    Got my long one in this morning, all 21 miles and to my surprise nearly managed to run the whole way, and this was on the back of a good track session last night, I must be mad! I plan on doing another 21 in a couple of weeks time, running Windsor next week, and then tappering.
    Keep up with the training and remberber everyone has the occasional bad day, just look forward to the next one that will be better:)
  • Options
    Well that's the first time anyone's called me 'lean and chiselled'! I'm certainly on the thin side as size 32 trousers are too big for me - I wish that I could put on a bit of weight! OB does himself a mega injustice as he looked quite comfortable, I can only assume that the subsequent problems were as a result of seeing me!! You didn't look like a beetroot, OB. I don't think you did at Fitness First, either.

I completed my 20 miler but at about 16 I had a terrible attack of the trots and had to wait for a mile or two before I found a toilet - in a shopping centre (OB - at Radbrook Green) where I got some very funny looks as I was covered in sweat and not looking too salubrious. Was it the gel that I took shortly before? Who knows but thank God they had a good supply of toilet paper. Sorry folks this is becoming a bit unseemly.

Just waiting for Cheeky Monkey's post to round up all the sheep.

SY3

• Options
    SY3 - take it from me, lean & chiselled is what you are!! Bad luck with the trots, I have to dose up with immodium plus for the longer runs or have the same problem. 20 miles at this point is quite a lot - how much further will you go before NY? My confidence is totally shattered after the problems on saturday. The time left for the long runs is very limited and because of my late decision to go to NY I'm undercooked. I wonder if I suffered as a result of the hard run last weekend at Vyrnwy? CM where are you?
  • Options
    Well guys, if it makes you feel any better, I ran the Swansea 10k this morning and ran home afterwards. It took me 2hrs 40 min. to run the 12 miles home. Had to stop five or six times to sort myself out - it was agony!!
    On a good point, running at about 90-95% of race pace, I did the race in 54.47 which is a PB from last year of 5 minutes.
  • Options
    Hi All good to hear your all as excited as i am, this time 6 weeks we will all be in N.Y. having comleted one of the greatest marathons in the world. I have just come back from the Nike 10 k. I did it in 41.20 not bad considering my lack of training. Windsor next week ,and then the great north. I`ll be the one with seaweed written on my back so shout for me as you all go streaming past. Keep up the training ,NO PAIN NO GAIN.
  • Options
    George - triffic stuff - something to celebrate!! OB, I'm sorry to read re the probs - don't know what to suggest other than some gentle stretching. Don't let it get you down - you did look pretty good to me. I'm planning to go to 22 or 23 but probably not next week (birthday weekend) - more likely the one after - and then start a taper. Skwerl - you been out? And CM - we're all dying to know how you did so stop keeping us all in suspense.

SY3
  • Options
    I haven't posted for so long it seems, but I promise I HAVE been training, honest I have! My runs are going okayish I guess, I don't seemt to run as often as i should but when i do it feels alright. This week I have the benefit (?) of someone meeting me at the end of a ten mile run and pacing me for a further 8. (all organised courtesy of the Beast).
  • Options
    OB - know how you feel. my confidence is gone too - it really has. Running out of time (pardon the pun) and I'm out of the country this weekend with no chance of running - might try and do 18 on Thursday so I can go away feeling a bit better!
  • Options
    NR - in the build up to London I had no injury problems and every run I did was OK. When I started the taper I caught a stinking cold which nearly made me miss the event. Nothing seems to be going according to plan this time and guess what? I feel a cold coming on!! Ah well, at least we'll each have someone to run with at the back!! Keep smiling.
  • Options
    OB - doesn't feel like much to smile about! At this rate I'll be crawling around in about 7 hours! just wanted to be in a position where I would feel confident - and now I'm thinking i haven't done nearly enough training due to various injuries etc. Only 3 long runs left before we start to taper!!!
  • Options
    NR - we have no option other than to be positive and cope with the position we're in. You did a 16 miler which if I remember, went well. What has happended since? Is it that you've picked up injuries or you just run out of legs or what? I'm hoping that my experience on saturday was a result of a hard 1/2M the previous weekend and that if I let my body recover I shall be ok. The problem is there is so little time left for recovery. Will you be doing any other run before your long run later in the week? Shattered Shins who is the forum expert on running with injuries advises iced baths - now there's a frightening thought!!!
  • Options
    OB - had a horrid calf injury...so didn't run last week until my long run attempt. Am thinking now maybe it was a lack of miles left me under - prepared...Dont know anymore! Am going to do a short run tonight and then run to work tomorrow (8 miles) Hopefully that will get me back on track for another 18 mile attempt on Thursday.
  • Options
    Hi All

Completed the Maidstone Half & Maidstone 10k yesterday ( combined time of 2:50:27 ) had a 20 rest in between runs , all went well , by far my longest runs since the FLM.
    Only planning to do 1 more 20+ run , along with the Windsor 1/2 and Kingston 16.
  • Options

NR - you might want to try splitting your long run over 2 days until your aches and pains settle down. So if your're planning an 18 miler, you could do 10 miles on Saturday say, followed by 8 miles on a Sunday, with both runs at a slow pace. Obviously, it's not quite the same as running 18 miles in one go, but the theory is that because you're doing the second run on tired legs you'll get a lot of the same benefits. It's worked for me in the past and it could kickstart your confidence again. Keep going, you're doing great!
  • Options
    george & RR - congrats on your dual runs, that's pretty impressive! T&TM - an interesting option, splitting a long run over 2 days. I felt cheated on saturday not completing my desired mileage and psychologically I was ready for a run on sunday but the legs wouldn't have it.

NR - its worth considering isn't it?
  • Options
    OB, T&TM - It's all worth considering right now!
  • Options
    We did our 15 miler yesterday and don't feel too bad today although my wife blew up around 12 miles. Strange that, given that she did a 17 miler a few weeks ago with no problems.
    We tried one of those g-sis energy gels and it tasted like nowt on God's earth !
    It's the 18 miler next weekend which will be nice.
  • Options
    BBL - it shows we're not robots I suppose!

"nowt on God's earth" where exactly in Surrey are you from?
  • Options
    Hi all I hope to get some good runs in before sun (winsor),see if i can do an 18 miler??? .Keep going N.R. you can do it .Bobolink, try high 5 gels ,the citrus ones are O.K. See some of you sun . Ta Chris
  • Options
    Sorry to read all this despair. I can't do much for the injuries - although ice is the best thing known to man - but just think what it will feel like to run that last 385 yards through Central Park - with such a noise in your ears - seeing the finish - crossing it - it's like nothing else on earth. And then someone gives you a foil blanket - and then a medal - and then a goodie bag - and you'll be crying your eyes out. Just focus on it - and, NR - it'll be you.

SY3
  • Options
    Seaweed - SY3 - thank you thank you thank you. Promise to be more positive for the next and final 5 weeks! Took the car out tonight and planned an 18miler for Thursday. I am so going to do it before I head to France for the weekend...you just wath this space!
  • Options
    So do I do New York? I've rang LPG and they can offer me a last minute place. I did my first marathon in May, and I've kept in good shape since...I managed a 16 miler on Saturday, so if I decide to go for it I think I could get myself upto 20 miles in time...