Options

New York Marathon 2002 The Original

Comments

• Options
    NR - did 20 on Saturday but what a struggle it was. Done a few 6 milers this week, and a only a 3-4 miler today as am doing Lake V also this weekend. Have you noticed that on Events someone has started a competing NY thread. Got to close that one down!!

SY3
  • Options
    SY3 - go and get them off events and over here!!! You've already done a 20?? I'm assuming you're a bit more experienced than me then? (I'm a marathon virgin!)
  • Options
    I did NY last year (that was my first m) and started trg early this time round - you know, to beat the rush!

SY3
  • Options
    Somehow I managed to wrestle free from the evil clutches of daytime telly and get in my first 3hour run. Feel knacked but great - it's soooo much nicer doing something daft like training for a Marathon in (relatively) warm weather than the cold, wet and windy training months from January until London in April!

A question: will training in warm weather mean that when it starts getting colder, I'll find the same distances easier?

Hope so!
  • Options
    As long as you put your thermals on! Oldbones is the expert on cold weather rain and drizzle. Well done on a 3 hour trip!! Hope you feel virtuous all weekend.

SY3
  • Options
    the pros & cons of training in one season for racing in another one are too technical for me to answer but I preferred training for FLM in the winter to the runs I've done this summer - I'm one of life's overheaters so don't need any added heat source!!

How come you guys are so far ahead in your training?
  • Options
    Anyone there? anyone at all? i'v just run 16 miles! 16 miles!!!! I'm so proud of myself!! i cant believe I've run that far.(even if i did get lost by Big ben and have to ask a policeman for directions when I have lived in London for 30 of my 30 years!!!
  • Options
    Good run!!! Maybe you can put down loss of direction to lactic build up!!!

How did you get on with dodging the tourists?
  • Options
    Well done N.R. !
    With you doing a sixteen miler, ( how long did you take ? )I,m now going to have to get up at dawn tomorrow to do the eighteen miler / four hour steady run that I was ready to stay in bed to avoid !!!!!
  • Options
    tourists should be banned from the streets when I'm running! it took me 2hrs and 50 - hardly record breakig - but still!
  • Options
    N.R.
    Bear in mind that your long run shouldn't be about speed but about time on your legs educating your body to burn fat ( of which I've got too much ).

Did my long run this morning - 3hrs 25 minutes at steady pace( 18-19 miles)... my legs are knackered and I'm 7-8 miles short of 26.2!!!
  • Options
    Hi All only 7 weeks to go, Well 6 and 5 days before we fly..My longest run before we go will be the winsor half but as i`m only jogging round i`m not too worried!!!! he says tounge in cheek .Are we meeting up in winsor ? keep up the training. Chris
  • Options
    Well - I managed a 20 miler in the heat of Saturday.....first 10 Ok - next 5 not so bad....last 5 pretty darned hard work...especially after my other half met me at 10 miles to feed me banana and then I was stuck with the theme tune to the Banana Splits in my head until I ran past a field with a combine harvester in it and then....The Wurzels......the pain!!!! Top question to consider whne runnign on those long ones....if you could take 10 celebs into a nuclear bunker (and we're only talking about people presently alove) who would they be????? So a 20 miler in my legs....I'm now banking on the atmosphere to get me round the other 6 - please someone tell me this will happen!!
  • Options
    I only did 1 20miler before FLM2002 , found the last 6 exhausting but you do get round.
    Completed 2 x 10k yesterday 1 in the morning followed by 1 in the evening.
    Doing the Maidstone 1/2 and 10k next Sunday
  • Options
    Hi Seaweed - where've you been!! Congrats NR on your run - not surprised you got lost in London - I hear it's a big place, and all those one-way streets!! I did the Lake Vyrnwy half on Sunday so no long run, did it in 1:31:33, but from now on it's stretching out again, and time gets second place to distance.

I think Fat Face is going to NY - well I met him at Vyrnwy and he really does look like his photo. Cheeky Monkey, Romford Runner's right - you WILL do the final 6 - there's so much crowd support that they won't let you stop and you'll start thinking 'only another 6 to go...' and you'll go onto autopilot, and then you soon see the top end of Central Park - but you do need to manage your refuelling properly. I'm getting so excited. Is anyone else going to the Cancer Research reception tomorrow?

SY3
  • Options
    OK - so how do I get my refuelling right??? It's my first marathon - and it's all a bit bewildering. I ran my 20 on the weekend on a big bowl of Special K first thing, and then a banana at 10 miles, and another half banana at about 16.5....didn't feel too bad...am I on anywhere near the right track.....at the minute I on;y carry my drinks bottle (in my hand) when I run...should I try to run with a belt to carry food in???? Help - am I thinking about this too much?!
  • Options
    OK, I confess. It was me that started the NY thread on Events. In my defence I have to say that it's only 'cos I didn't know about this one.
    Anyway, any advice on general blister treatment? How to continue running when your feet hurt like hell?
    I recently had some orthotic footbeds made and, while they seem to help my shin splints, they have repositioned my foot so that the upper heel rubs on the padding around the top of the heel socket on my shoe. Shoudl I just tape my foot and hope that the shoe will break in?
    I really can't rest as NY is only 6 weeks away and I had to cut short my long run this Sunday due to this blister (which managed to fill with blood - nice!).
    BTW - Does anyone else run Richmond Park, London? It's a bit of a killer!
  • Options
    Well, Lake Vyrnwy's out of the way so now I've got to concentrate on those long runs!! Well done all of you who are doing them already. The four long runs will be 15,17,19,21 and then taper. Only one over 20 but that will have to do I'm afraid. There are still a lot of forum runners doing New York who haven't contacted me yet to be put on the list - see earlier in this thread. The more we know about the better.
  • Options
    Dear All

Eeek - 200 messages - impossible to read them all whilst giving the appearance of working.

I'm doing New York and need someone (lots of people) to share my excitment with. My friends/family/colleagues are all totally fed up with me boring them with my training (or lack of it) and after London assume that the least I can do is keep my desire to run another marathon to myself.

As this thread is so enormous it is almost impossible to work out (without a lot time and a very good memory) how may RW formites are running and what everyone is planning/hoping to do. Could someone brief me, please ??

Angie

• Options
    Oldbones has a list of NY runners. See above.
  • Options
    Hi Anji - well you've certainly come to the right place!! All I can say is do make time to read all this stuff as there's too much to summarise, and look at the www. nycmarathon.org website.

SY3
  • Options
    New runner...
    Congratulations on your 16 miler, I hope that you've broken through your lull now. Keep it going!
  • Options
    Thanks Bouncer! Seems that my right calf muscle has decided to contract after the run (yes, I did sretch) so I'm hobbling!! - not panicking though - aiming to just do as much as poss this week and then try for 18 on the weekend...we'll see!
  • Options
    In case you haven't read the New York thread on the Events forum .

Pizza man, Keith Every, Seaweed, Tea and Toast man, Waapster, Romford Runner and Oldbones we are all doing Windsor too (anyone else ? ), so make sure you get to the pub arranged by Nattynoodle, after the race( see the WINDSOR thread )so that we can arrange to meet in New york.
  • Options
    Jon

With reference to your blister problem I have found that Compeed Blister patches are simply excellent for keeping you going. They are available in medium and large sizes and fit nicely into that little pocket on the inside of your shorts (designed for a key I think). They are available from Boots, Tescos etc.

Make sure you pop the blister (yes, I know you shouldn't!) and then put the patch on in accordance with the instructions, i.e warm in your hand for a minute before slapping it on. I swear by them so much that I ALWAYS have a packet in my running bag wherever I go and always carry them on a marathon. Hope they help.

God, I wish I was going to NY with you lot, should be fun!!

ATB
  • Options
    I JUST GO TMY TICKETS THROUGH!!!!!!!
    If only I could move my right calf would feel a bit better, but how exciting!! Not long now guys!!
  • Options
    george - I'm not doing Windsor as your post implies.

To anyone else doing New York and who doesn't want to track back through the thread, I'm compiling a list of forum NYC runners and am collecting as much of the following data as people want to give:

forum name
    real name
    dates of travel
    flight details
    Hotel
    Est. marathon finish time
    Tour operator used (if any)
    Charity (if any)

there have been several names mentioned as participants but to save me trailing through various fora to get your e-mail details will those of you who haven't made contact with me, e-mail me your details through the forum.

nothing is compulsory but the more we all know about who's going the better it will be.
  • Options
    excuse me for "boinging" this folks but its a public service announcement at the moment!!
  • Options
    Old bones, sorry, thought you were doing Windsor.
    I know you are arriving in New york on the Friday, what time do you arrive? Any thoughts about meeting places or times ?
  • Options
    Just had a look at the interactive map on the NYC marathon page. What a route!