Options

Little Nemo's Marathon Adventure

Comments

• Options
    Hi there. BBH adding her tuppence worth. Good luck to you all. Am in through club entry. Actually hate running so concentrating on distance. Shorter runs + cross training during week then longer seesions Saturday involving short runs followed by long walk. Find it easier on ageing bod. Still trying to break 5 hour limit - last year personal worst - knee went at 7 miles. Sodden agony by the end - my finishing photo smile is actually rictus of extreme suffering.
  • Options
    Hi all.
    My legs are still sore today after 10 miles on Friday. Also still shocked by the train crash just down the line (and the towpath) from where I live.
  • Options
    Hello all!

I'm v. envious of the progress some of you are making - 10 miles already, that's pretty impressive. I've been bimbling along working my way up to 30-40 mins. of running, mainly on the Nike 10K training runs. Did manage 2 in one evening as I was going for the last 1,000 places where you have to do 5 training runs to qualify. I felt bloody awful finishing the last one and it was scary to think I'll have to go 4 times as far in April! Knee is just about holding together, just need to keep holding myself back from trying too much too soon.

So at the moment in a good week I do one swim, one gym session (including 15 mins. running) and 2 runs. I’m hoping to build up my weekend slow run to about an hour over the next couple of months and then I’ll need to add 1 more run a week. I’ve got my MRI scan in December then my follow up Orthopaedic appt. in February. I’m hoping this will be good news as if it’s not there’s not much time to get anything sorted by April!

Anyone here doing the RunLondon in November, or the New Year’s Day 10K in Hyde Park? I’ll be plodding at the back of the pack doing my 5 min. run/1 min. walk routine if anyone wants to join me.

152 days to go!
    :-)
  • Options
    Hi Nemo, Hi All

Nemo, you're doing well.
    Apart from a long run at weekends I'm only managing one other in midweek but at least I'm doing a long one.

I'm in the NikeLondon race on Sunday night, Wave 3. Look out for me I'll be in a bright yellow long sleeve t-shirt :-)
  • Options
    Hello everyone!

Andyp, how did you find the Nike 10K? I quite enjoyed it at the back of the run although we did finish pretty late. I ran the whole way at an easy pace so I ended up crossing the line at 10:15pm!!! But it was worth it for such a different view of London and the beautiful KM markers.

Got a cold now but apart from that feeling physically OK and (touch wood) my knee hasn't seized up like last year. I've just signed up for the NYD 10K in Hyde Park and I'm going to try run/walk here to compare how it feels. If it's not too slow I may use this for FLM as it might be easier on the joints. So if I make it into January running OK this will give me a lot of confidence re. the hard training coming up. Still can't quite believe I'll be doing 20 mile runs yet! If I don't make it through to January then I'll be considering walking the whole thing. How long can it take to walk 26 miles?!? Most people seem to think you can do it 6 hours anyway ;-) Realistically I suspect it will take 8-9 hours, do you reckon I'll still get a medal?

Happy training everyone!

131 days to go!
  • Options
    Well I've done bog all running in the last week due to a snotty cold (why do the kids have to share *everything* with me eh?!!). Will go and 'run' on the cross trainer at the gym tomorrow, then get outside on wed/thurs and start to pick it up again from there.
  • Options
    Fraggle, that sounds like what I have - I feel as though there's something living in my chest! EEUW!!!

Get well soon :-)
  • Options
    Oops - long time no post. I've been caught up in Christmas madness and work has been a bit busy. Sadly I'm stuck in the office until 6pm tonight so not even any time for last minute pressie shopping. I have a horrible feeling I've forgotten something...

How's everyone's training going? According to the RW email I'm behind already! Had to take 10 days off after the Nike run due to chest infection and only really starting to catch up now. I'm managing 2 mid weeks runs of 20-25 mins, 1 gym session and 1 long run at the weekend, currently about 40 mins slogging around the mud and grass. I'm doing the Serpentine NYD 10K as my long run next week which will get me up to 60 mins plus. Then I suppose I'll just keep adding 5 mins to my mid-week runs and 10-15 mins to my long run each week until I get up to speed.

Next year I'm aiming to do a 10 mile race in January, a half-marathon in February and a 20 miler in March. All looking v. daunting from here. Knee is just about holding up and I'll have the results of my scan at the end of January which will then decide whether I can run it or not. The reassuring thing for me is that my knee hurts an awful lot less after running than it does when I've been stuck in a meeting for 3 hours!

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

113 days to!
  • Options
    Hi Little Nemo,

Hope your chest is better. FLM will be my first marathon too. Started running 3/04 and have done one half marathon so far (stevenage in November). I'm following the sub 4.30 RW programme a bit optimistically I think as just finishing vaguely alive will do me, but going OK so far.

Keep up the good work,
    Happy New Year !

Shuffler
  • Options
    Hello Shuffler, welcome to the thread! How's your training going? I'm sort of following a get-you-round schedule but with less walk breaks at the moment.

Ran half the way home last night, about 3 miles altogether so feeling quite chuffed with myself as it felt quite easy. This is going to be a good way for to fit one of my midweek runs in as it's not that much slower than the buses in London. Last night it took about 40 mins. which is how long it takes if the traffic is bad. And that included stopping off at the supermarket on the way to pick up stuff I'd forgotten for dinner. I've now discovered that I can run carrying a plastic bag!

Found some races for the next 3 months:

Fred Hughes 10 Mile in January
    Sussex Beacons Half Marathon in February
    And still to decide between Hemel Hempstead and Bramley for a 20 Mile race in March. Has anyone done either of these? What are they like?

Serpentine 10K tomorrow - here's hoping for nice weather, or at least no rain...

Happy New Year everyone!!!

106 days to go!
  • Options
    Hi Little Nemo,

Might think about the Hemel 20 miler too as it's local for me. Training going pretty well so far. I'm enjoying the longer runs more than the "speed" sessions - note the punctuation !!! Definitely a shuffler by name AND by nature !

Have a great New Year tonight,

Shuffler
  • Options
    Nemo - the Bramley race is in Feb; I'm due to do the 20M, but I think it'll be too much too soon so I'm going to switch to the 10M instead.

My training is pretty poor at the moment: after I had my cold, #1 son got it, then #2 son was ill all over Xmas too. Plus about 4 weeks ago I knocked my knee on #2 son's bed and have been having sore/tight knee and hip problems since then. Have done a few tentative runs this week, and I'm doing cycling and swimming, so I'm hoping the cross training will improve on general fitness levels too.

(oh, and my brother + girlfriend were on holiday in Sri Lanka, and escaped the tsunami by sitting on someone's roof, so it's been a tad stressful here!!)

Best wishes and good training to everyone foe the new year - see you after FLM for my birthday party!!!!
  • Options
    Hello Fraggle!

D'oh! I think that was wishful thinking on my part that Bramley is in March :-( It's only 3 mins. from the station so really easy for me to get to on public transport. Looks like it's definitely HH then as the Oakley 20 miler is a bit remote.

Sorry to hear about your brother and girlfriend in Sri Lanka - sounds bloody scary!!! I've been there a couple of times on holidays and makes me sad to think of all the people and places that are just not there any more. Hope they get home soon and well.
  • Options
    Well I'm not feeling too bad after the NYD 10K apart from picking up a bit of a cold. Managed to get round in just under 69 mins. doing run 5, walk 1 which is less then 2 mins slower then when I ran the whole way last year. Felt a lot more comfortable too, not nearly as many aches and pains. Also that sort of time should see me finish 10 miles in under 2 hours which is just as well as this is the time limit for the race I've signed up for!

Happy New Year Training!

102 days to go!
  • Options
    Hi All,

This looks like my kind of thread. I'm in my first marathon and am looking at 5h30 at least, but to be honest don't care about times, just want to do it! Did a 10k on New year's eve in just under 1h15 (by a whopping 22 seconds!). Am following the RW get you round schedule but aiming to do around 8mins run, 2 mins walk for the race. Am soooooo scared but at the same time very very excited!

Hope all is going well for everyone!
    Hx
  • Options
    Hi All

Long time no post for me.

Welcome aboard HKP. Doing the FLM is both scary and exciting, inlcuding all the training too.

I feel like I've done SFA on the distance front for ages now. Apart from GRIM and the Cliveden XC I did minimal running as work got in the way unfortunately.

I managed a slow 10M on Sunday, 3M Monday and a hilly 4M this lunchtime so feeling a bit better about my traiining now.

I was planning to do Bramley 20M but I think that will be too far too soon for me now.

The Wokingham Half-Marathon looks a good bet, I may go for that if there are still spaces.

Happy, Injury Free, New Year to all :-)
  • Options
    PS Nemo, I didn't do the Nike 10k in the end, but I've kept my t-shirt though! ;-)

• Options
    Fraggle, hope everything with your family is ok now.

My parents are trekking and currently in Malaysia. They were due to be in Penang but thankfully decided to stay in Melaka for xmas, which avoided the damage. We had a stressful few hours until i had a text from my mum saying they were ok.
  • Options
    Hello everyone. Mind if I join? I think this is the right paced discussion for me!

I'm aiming for FLM 05 after missing NY 04. Did all the training and made it to NY only to get gastroenteritis and spend marathon week in bed. Was devastated. Specially since NY 03 went out the window with a knee injury. I gave myself a good break after the 04 disaster...didn't want to suffer marathon burnout...and am just starting up training again (following the get-you-round prog).

FLM 05 will be my first marathon. Not aiming for any time, just to finish with a smile...I hope.
  • Options
    PS: Good luck to all those others out there aiming towards their first marathon. I think it's a great challenge to take on. Hopefully one day soon we'll all complete it!
  • Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    Hi people, mind if I join you? This isn't my first marathon - did London in 01 but then ruptured my achilles which kept me away from running for some considerable time. Did 01 in about 5:30 but ran/walked it as I'd screwed up my training. This time I'm determined to come in under 5 but am starting to think closer to 4.30 is possible providing I'm sensible. Did the Brighton Reebok 10k in 65 mins and then did the Nike the following week in 62 which I was well chuffed with. Am booked into the Reading Half in March so should get some idea of what I can do then.
  • Options
    Hello hkp and shrimpton, welcome to the thread!

How's your training going? This is a thread for all things so please keep us posted with progress, races coming up etc. What’s been your longest run so far? Mine’s only 10K at the moment but I’m doing a 10 mile race at the end of January which I’m hoping to do in under 2 hours. I’m doing most of my runs in 5R 1W but I may look at extending the running distances as sometimes 5 mins seems too short! Also I have to keep checking my watch which for some reason really irritates me.

Bad luck on your previous marathons shrimpton. My recurring nightmare is making it through all the tough training and then having some sort of accident in the last week and having to give up at the last minute. At least when I had to defer last year I knew ages out so had a chance to get used to it.

hkp, do your initials stand for Hong Kong Phooey? ;-)

100 days to go!
    (that's a bit scary!!!)
  • Options
    Ooh, another new person :-) Hello and welcome mava62!

Well done on your 10K times and good luck for Reading. I'm going to try the Sussex Beacons half as it's run on some of the same course as the Brighton 10K and I know that's nice and flat. Of course the good thing for me with all these new distances is that I'm guaranteed a few PBs along the way.
    ;-)
  • Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    Thanks Nemo. Yes, the Brighton course is nice and flat but you do lose time dodging the pedestrians!

I did an 8.5 miler with my training partner on Sunday in around 90 mins which felt fab. We didn't mean to go so far but felt so good we just kept going!
  • Options
    Little n, how did you guess, especially when i tried so hard to hide my true identity!!

really, its just because I was feeling lazy when I joined so its just my initials... BORING!

Wow mava, 8.5 miles in 90mins is going great guns, well done!

Well done everyone!
    :)
  • Options
    Feeling v. chuffed - I've just managed my first ever 60 min. training run! 5R 1W round the scrubs twice on Sunday. It was a nice day as well, not too cold, a bit windy but also some sunshine. V. tired at the end and have a bit of a cough now but knee didn't feel too bad for most of the run. Feels a bit stiff today so I'll need a good walk at lunchtime to sort it out.

Hope everyone had a good weekend too.

96 days to go!
  • Options
    Hey well done Little N! I did 80 mins 3run 2 walk on Sat. Very Windy and as soon as I got to the furthest point I could possibly be from home, it p'ed down. Was frozen and wishing I had taken my Flora rainjacket with me!

i did it tho and not too achey. Actually looking forward to a run tonight (yes work is that bad!!!)
  • Options
    Hello all, hope you're all still training diligently!

Managed a 70 min. run/walk session on Sunday but it was v. hard. Especially as I only had an hour to refuel, stretch, bath and get back out again for a Birthday lunch. Was nice to be able to eat a huge meal (and chocolate cake!!!) knowing I'd probably burnt off most of the calories first though. Felt rubbish for the rest of the day once I'd got home and had to fight not going back to bed.

I did a gym session and 20 min. run yesterday and I'm scheduled to do a 4 mile run tonight with the Adidas runs in Hyde Park. I did this last week and found it really useful. I run the whole way so I'm treating it as a kind of tempo run. Then I'll be running part of the way home on Friday which will be 3-4 miles. Finally for this week will be my longest ever run - 80 mins!!! This will beat my PW for 10K by about 5 mins.

87 days to go!
  • Options
    Hey Little N, That sounds good!

I did 1hr35 on Sunday which was 7.5 miles according to map24.com (which is brilliant if you haven't discovered it yet!), really enjoyed it too which slightly suprised me! Lots of other runers about too but they were all much faster than me!

Didn't enjoy tonight tho. Did 45mins on treadmill - I think thats about as far as I can stand on it to be honest, it was really tedious and I found it v v hard. Feeling a bit p'ed off now. ah well, day off tomorrow so back with a vengence on Friday I expect.

Hope everyone else is doing okay.
  • Options
    Well done, hkp! I'm a bit jealous of your distances, longest training run has been 5.5 - 6 miles so far. I also can't really stick the treadmill. This week I didn't bother with it in my gym session as it's so crowded at the moment will all the New Year's Resolution people. It was easier to go for a plod outside. The only good thing about the treadmill is that it forces you to run at a certain pace so I was going to use it for speed work. Maybe next month it will have calmed down and I can get back on the treadmills.

Managed my Adidas run yesterday but I was last again! I'm sure the helper I run with is a bit sick of plodding round with me. Don't think it can be 4 miles though as it only takes me 40 mins. which is a bit quick. Next week I'm going for the 6 mile run - gulp!

Hope your Friday run goes better for you!