Options

Little Nemo's Marathon Adventure

Comments

• Options
    Hello everyone, hope you all had a good Easter! Seems I’m not the only one having a bit of a struggle now. Had to postpone my last long run to yesterday because of b@stard overtime (again!) and had a really horrible run. Felt exhausted, everything ached and I was in a foul mood as I dragged myself around Hyde Park for 3 hours. UGH!!! Had to go back to bed once I’d got home to recover. The only positive was that I did do it and surely the Marathon isn’t going to feel as bad as this? I’m starting to realise how good I felt on my 20 mile run... perhaps this is just the start of taper madness?

Welcome to the thread Stewy! Hope you make your target at FLM.

Well done on your 20 miles shuffler – that’s a v. good time. Glad to hear your injuries are behind you now.

Bad luck on your mud experience hkp. I had something similar on one of my runs a couple of months back. Towards the end of the run my legs just got so tired and I couldn’t understand why, until I looked down and saw about 2lbs of mud attached to each shoe. I even managed to pick up a small branch which I was trailing behind me! Not sure if I could have done another 10 miles after this so well done you for continuing. I’m sure it must count as cross-training?!?

Hope you feel better soon jaq. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that we all have an injury and illness free run on the day.

18 days to go!
    :-)
  • Options
    Feel a bit better today. Had a good run yesterday and just done my gym session today. I'm currently scoffing a Mars bar before going home - it's carbo-loading you know!

How's everyone doing?

16 days to go!
  • Options
    It's all gone very quiet - I hope this is because you're all out training!

This will be my last post for a while as I'm on a course next week and won't have any email access. Had another physio appt. today where my problem now seems to be that I bend my knees back too much when I stand and walk. Sigh - every time I go it's something different. Hope this is the final diagnosis and my new exercises will fix it. He looked slightly shocked when I told him I couldn't make an appt. on Monday 18th 'cause I was doing FLM the day before!

Have a great weekend everyone, and remember no more long runs... bliss.

15 days to go!
  • Options
    hi nemo just read most of your DIARY enjoyed reading and had a little chuckle in places .my longest run to date 13 miles injury stopped me for a MONTH over xmas(hip flexers pulled ) just back and now shin splints out for 3 weeks running sun nice and steady but i think my 3.30-4.00 hours will have to wait till next year good luck 05
  • Options
    Hi everyone,
    How's it going ?
    How far are you running this weekend ?
    I'm doing 10 miles and then only 5 for my long run next weekend. I had been following the runners world ultimate sub 4:30 schedule but that would mean doing a whopping 17 this weekend, after 20 last weekend, which i reckon is too much as I'm more of a 5 hour girl I reckon !
    I'm going to the Expo on the Wednesday if anyone else is and wants to meet up ?
    Hope all illnesses/injuries etc. are behind us now - sorry about your news showboat but good luck for a speedy recovery.Can't believe it's so close now !
  • Options
    hi All,

Hi little N, sounds like you're having a bit of a nightmare. I hope you take it easy and rest those knees before the big day. Hope you manage to fit some running in around your course.

Hi shuffler, I'm going to do 10 this weekend too (doing the RW get you round plan). I'm doing the Sandy 10 race to get some more racing experience under my belt. I'm planning to go to the expo on Weds evening would be cool to meet and say hi if you are there around the same time.

I've been a bit all over the place (quite literally) this week with work and have another trip next week so will be running around Liverpool for a couple of days.

Hope you all have good weekends,
    H :)

• Options
    Hi all,

Little Nemo - we are both in Ultrameerkat's team 7 ! How are your knees ? How did the Sandy 10 go hkp ?
    I did 10 miles this morning and reckon all my runs before the FLM will now be under an hour - aaaah bliss !
    Hopefully we'll all have medals round our sweaty little necks this time next fortnight....
  • Options
    Hi All

I've not had PC access for a week and a bit so here is the news......

I had one Easter egg, and scoffed if fast :-).
    Maidenhead 10 went v well thanks Shuffler. Finished in 1Hr 30m 37s, well pleased.

Managed a few more runs since then too so feeling like I will at least be able to stand up on the day now.

How is everyone feeling now? I have a mixture of nerves and excitement. It's all happening so fast, number collection next week too.......

• Options
    shuffler - Meldy is trying to email Little Nemo, but I see she doesn't have email access at the mo. If you see her around on the forum, could you ask her to try and get in touch? Many thanks.
  • Options
    hi All,

How's it going? I've just got back from Liverpool and been out for a run in the snow (yes really, in Cambridge in April, bonkers!)

The 10 miles went really well for me last weekend. Came last! I really don't care though as did it in the time I was planning (just over 2 hours) and had a ball the support was brilliant thanks to several forum people and lots of friendly marshalls.

I'm soooooo excited now, I just wanna get out there and do it now.

Hope you are all doing well. Not long to go now!
    Hx
  • Options
    Boing!!!!!!!

The build up starts here. I can hear the band tuning up Dah-Dah Dah-Dah Dah Dah Dah-Dah-Dah......etc
  • Options
    Hello all, I'm back!!!

UM - I've emailed Meldy, thanks for tracking me down. Can’t have my email working on this site as it’s a work address so I probably shouldn’t really be on these forums ;-)

Showboat, sorry to hear about your problems, have you definitely decided if you’re running this year or not? I hope this thread has been of some help to you and maybe you could use it as inspiration for next year. I felt awful having to defer last year but it’s been worth it in the end as I’m feeling pretty good now.

How’s everyone else doing? Hope you’re all tapering nicely without any problems.

It felt so weird on Sunday only doing an hour’s run. This week I’ve got a 40-50 min. run tomorrow, gym session on Wednesday and my final pre-race run on Friday. Going for a gentle 20-30 mins. back over the Scrubs where my training really started last year. I’m going to the Expo on Friday and will try and get there as early as poss. to avoid the rush of out-of-towners. On the other hand I may be so excited that I’ll go after work on Thursday… so impatient! Sorry not to be able to meet up with you Shuffler at the Expo and not sure if we’ll see each other on the day. You’re a bit faster than me but it’s nice to think of you and Sezz being on the same “team” as me.

I’ve decided to set myself tasks for each day this week to keep the nerves at bay. Today’s task is writing and sending off the last of my letters asking for sponsorship. It’s a bit late but you never know. I’ve found emailing and writing to people direct has been quite effective, nearly everybody has sponsored me and some people have been surprisingly generous. Total is somewhere around £700 excluding Gift Aid and my company will add another £250 in a money match scheme so it’s looking quite healthy.

Must go before this email turns into an essay!

5 days to go!
  • Options
    Measured myself this morning to compare to how I was at the start of all this training. Today I’m 9st 10lbs which means I’ve lost 4lbs. Not bad considering I’ve eaten like a pig since Christmas. My waist has gone from 29 to 28 inches and my hips from 40 to 38 inches. As my bust has stayed the same (phew!) I’m now officially less pear shaped!

I’ve nearly finished all my letters and emails, just 1 address to check and 1 letter still to do as email address has expired. Tonight’s task is girly stuff: pluck eyebrows, face pack and sort out cuticles. Well I’ll need to look my best for that Sally Gunnell interview!

4 days to go!
  • Options
    Hey, Little Nemo - thought I'd pop in to wish you GOOD LUCK!!!!!! Looking forward to hearing how you get on!

Enjoy every minute the 'Big Day' - the first one is always the most memorable.

And don't forget the nail varnish - I did mine the day before last year's FMN to calm my nerves. I wouldn't dream of running without gold or orange nail varnish, a girl has to keep up appearances.

Wishing you all the best!!!!!

LizzyB
  • Options
    Cheers LizzyB, nice to hear from you again and thanks for your encouragement!

Nails might be a little short to justify nail varnish but they will definitely be buffed and manicured!

I'll be posting my account of it all next Tuesday - you have been warned, posts may be a bit long...

So-over-excited-I'm-almost-bouncing ginger kitten
  • Options
    Just a short post today as I really need to concentrate on work and stop cruising threads like yesterday. Today's task is my final gym session and finishing off my other tasks from the last 2 days that I haven't done yet...

How's everyone else doing? It'd be great to hear from you all before the big day. How about posting your numbers so we can all look out for each other? I'll be in a red Shelter vest, number 18450 so say hello if you overtake me!

3 days to go!
  • Options
    Hey Little N,

I'm doing fine thanks, having concentration problems at work though! I'm off to the expo tonight to get my number so god knows how I'll get my mind off it for the rest of the week!

Did a 20min run last night that was sooo hard. Only started enjoying it at about 18mins so making myself stop was really hard.

My friend (also running) and I have booked ourselves a day of pampering at The Sanctuary in Covent Garden on Tuesday... not cheap but we figured we deserved a treat before we head back to work and reality!

My number is 33656 and I'll be wearing a purple Alzheimer's Research Trust vest. I'm planning to run with the RW get you round pacers. Its so bright I won't be hard to miss but I'm unlikely to be doing much overtaking!

Thanks for writing this thread, Its been great to share your and others' preparation, excitement and nerves.

Best of luck to everyone for the day!
    Hx

• Options
    Hello hkp, I’ll keep my eyes peeled for purple vests. Thanks for all your posts over the months they’ve been really inspiring especially when the training’s been tough.

Well this is it, my last day of posting before the race! Good luck to everyone, hope you all have a great race and get the time you want.

Can’t quite believe I’ve made it this far. From struggling to run/walk 20 mins. to somehow managing a 20+ mile run in less than a year. My left knee is still in one piece and I just KNOW I’m going to finish this race one way or another. Still not feeling nervous which is starting to make me feel nervous in a different way. Also I’ve not had any panicked dreams about oversleeping and missing the race yet. Surely I shouldn’t be this calm?!? Still, plenty of time left to go wibbley...

2 days to go!
  • Options
    ..200!
    Had to be done!
    Good luck everyone,
    Hx
  • Options
    Good luck everyone, it's going to be emotional.
    Hope you all enjoy the day, achieve a dream and look back with a warm glow on what will be a fantastic achievement.

Go for it everybody....

PS i'll be in a lilac/purple "Dreams Come True" vest.
  • Options
    Woo-hoo, we've got more than 10 pages! This thread is all grown-up...

Last task before I go, my goals for the race. Given myself 3 again so I don't end up disappointed if things go badly. Here goes:

1: Finish in one piece, don't care about time.

2: Sub 5:40 which is my predicted time from my 20 miler.

3: Sub 5:15 which is my predicted time from my half-marathon.

Little ginger kitten signing off 'til Tuesday...
  • Options
    GOOD LUCK EVERYONE. WE'VE COME THROUGH SO MUCH THESE LAST FEW WEEKS AND MONTHS AND NOW IT IS FINALLY HERE. HAVE THE MOST FANTASTIC TIME EVER AND LET'S ALL RUN LIKE THE WIND ! ENJOY EVERY MINUTE....
  • Options
    How did everyone get on? I managed just under 5 hours 30 mins. and feel not too bad apart from v. sunburned shoulders - ouch!

V. happy and chuffed ginger kitten
  • Options
    Well done ginger kitten! Glad you had a good day, and not a bad time either! Right, when's the next marathon then ;-)
  • Options
    Cheers LizzyB!

I'm seriously considering Paris next year. I'm sure with a few more long runs I can break my PB now officially timed at 5:26:10.
  • Options
    Hey all,

Well done little n on your time. I did 6:05:15 a little slower than anticipated but I was realyl hampered by the heat in the first 10 miles and then by dodgy knee which decided to not let me run much after 18. Didn't stop once though and met some amazing people on the way around. Loved it!

Today is first day back at work and am wearing my medal proudly at my desk!

Hx
  • Options
    Well done hkp! I'm glad to hear someone else on the thread had finished - I was getting a bit worried! And remember, you did beat Lorraine Kelly ;-)

The heat was a bit much wasn't it? My shoulders are now a delightful lobster pink. Sorry to hear about your knee, hope it's feeling better now. Are you thinking about doing another marathon?

My knee wasn't too bad for most of the run and still feels OK now. Had a few problems with blisters and just tired legs in general so ended up walking from 24 1/2 miles. Did manage a run once I got onto the Mall and could see the finish line, possibly the best sight in the world at that time.

A fantastic day all in all, the crowds were awesome!
  • Options
    yes I'm well chuffed about beating Lorraine, apparently Gary frm Eastenders was just in front of me too, shame I didn't beat him on the sprint finish!

Am pretty sunburned too - my charity vest made for some interesting tan lines!!

I'm definitely up for another one... my family fancy a trip somewhere more exotic for the next one... Paris perhaps!

I'm definitely going to do the Cardiff 1/2 in October before then tho, my brother's going to run the whole mara but I think I'll concentrate on beating my dreadful silverstone-set pb on my home turf!

Hx
  • Options
    Hi everyone - well done to us all !

I finished in 5 hours 47, bit slower than I'd hoped as was badly hampered by sore knee between 15 and 20 miles. But who cares ? What a fabulous day. I got really sunburnt too, but no blisters. My sponsor money just keeps on rolling in too and have now made over £ 4000 for ASPIRE. Am definitely aiming to do it again in 2006 !
  • Options
    Well done shuffler! That's a good time for someone with a knee injury, I'm not sure I could have kept going if it happened so early in the race. And what a fantastic amount of sponsorship!!! I'm sure your charity are really proud of you.

I've just signed up for the New Forest Half Marathon in September to keep myself motivated. It would be such a waste for all this training to dwindle away. I'd then like to spend a good 20 weeks training for a spring marathon for next year - sure I can get close to 5 hours with just a bit more training!