Comments

• Options
    Mark - the pic is here - http://tinypic.com/r/2edmqlj/4

(I cant upload pics and links)

Well done on getting round !
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Fenn, you meant to say "when' image

Cougie dear, I'm still waiting for you to give me a piggyback over the finish line in Liverpool!

• Options
    Red, fantastic pic of you on Facebook been sent out by VLM
  • Options
    Yep I liked your pic on fb red. Love your 111 challenge, must jump onto your blog.

I'm doing the York marathon in October, a new event and supposed to be flat. Aiming for a 4 hour marathon...eek!

Back at BMF last night they have a running club and do lots of speed work so hoping that will help me.

Mark, where are you based?
  • Options

7.7 miles tonight, mostly steady in prep for the half marathon. I did try a mile time-trial, between 5 and 6 (after some cross country too!) and managed to bimble along that mile in a steady 7 mins 18 secs!

Sounds fast but if I've got to run 13.1 at under 8 minute pace, it shouldn't feel too hard!

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Morning all,

What a dreary day again, all wet and dull.  Suck a shock after yesterday.  I didn't get out first thing before it started so I guess I'm going to get wet later.

Thanks Andrew and Denise.  Ooooh, York sounds interesting and such a beautiful city.

Jim, good luck with your 1/2.  Where is it?

• Options

what time you looking to do your half in Jim? ive got one in a week in Marlow but not going to look for a time as it is largely off road on towpaths and with lots of potential for heavy runner traffic.  Will wait for the Oxford half in Oct I think to try and beat my PB

• Options

I was just thinking how I felt this time last week! image

Pub for me this weekend!

• Options

Hi all, hoping for some advice/reassurance please......

Since running London have been feeling so weary! I expected to for first couple of days, have had a massage, been for a gentle swim, legs feel fine now. But still feeling so tired, bit lightheaded sometimes, seems worse today. Is it normal?!!  Anyone else feel the same? Was hoping to do 2/3m easy tomorrow, but don't really feel up to it yet.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Anniesophie, don't worry, we're all different in how we recover from a marathon.  After my first marathon I didn't run at all for a week afterwards and just let my body recover whereas now I've been running every day since and feel fine.  If you don't feel like running just yet then don't, it really doesn't matter, in fact if you are still very tired then it would be much better not to run.  Good idea to have a massage and the swim will help loosen your legs too.  Try going for walks as well.  

Running a marathon can really take it out of you and drain your resources so please look after yourself and don't push too soon or your body might object.  Just enjoy the break from running and recharge your batteries whilst plotting your next challenge.  Take care.

• Options

Many thanks Red, just what I needed to hear!

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Running streak day 6 of 111

5.96 hilly miles all on the lanes. Streaming nose, headache and trouble breathing going up the steepest hill told me that it's pollen time made worse by it being damp. Checked my breath flow when I got home and it was down by 100. Hey ho, at least it behaved for my marathons.

Total miles so far 56.71 (oooh, looks as if I'm going to get over 60 for the week with tomorrow's run)

• Options

Red your making me feel lazy...

Anniesophie, I felt the worst post marathon on Wednesday this week, I gave into, left work at lunch time and went too bed. (I couldn't sleep but rested). The next morning I was a different person. So my answer to your question is yes it is normal, and I think it hits everyone at different times.

I think a tip for future marathon runners at VLM would be as you go through birdcage walk onto The Mall is to follow the blue line closely. I tried to avoid the crowds and went wide to be less congested and have no photos of me finishing or coming down the mall... very disappointed as have no decent photos...

• Options

Fenn, both times at VLM ive run straight down the middle of birdcage walk towards the photographers and basically posed for them Thumbs up, or at one stage doing the Mo-bot! And I tend to get pretsy good pics. not as many as I would her e liked this year as at least 3i passed were changing their bloody film. 

right think i have my race calendar sorted for the next yr and a bit... Tying to work out west of races that suit me about also work around two young children (eldest is 3 in two weeks and youngest is only 6months and also need to ease the wife into the idea of me continuously training rather than aiminoff or one big event and doing the odd run the rest of tie time)

going to aim for a new PB in next month or so of 10k (with a couple of sceenic halfs thrown in for good measure) then start training properly for Oxford half, fairly flat so looking to get a new PB of under 1.40. Going to enter Brighton marathon (if i get into london ill defer to 2014, eases the fundraising pressure) for spring and follow that with my local marathon (Abingdon) in Octobetraining if I've managed to go under 4hr, ill look at running beachyhead. all of which means, I'm almost certain to get an I annoying un-diagnosable injury in the next few months which will stop my running for ages!!!

• Options

Any good flat marathons in October or November? Im down for York but my mate wants to do one so might do a different one, Frankfurt I heard is good, don't mind overseas one if close enough.

Actually always wanted to do Chicago but might be too expensive to get there and stay in a hotel etc.

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Running streak day 7 of 111

5.60 undulating miles all on the lanes. Glorious sunshine first thing although it felt a bit nippy in my vest and shorts at 6am!

Total miles so far 62.31 - haven't done that many miles in a week since training for 3 marathons on consecutive weekends back in 2010 image

Mark, Abingdon's pancake flat but might be full already.  Jim did Barcelona, which I think is flat, but I can't remember when that was.  Berlin's in September.  Luton marathon is around November time I think and that's probably flat.

Andrew, good plan.  I'm going to use my streak to get my 10k and 1/2 times down in the autumn.  Beachy is my favourite off-road marathon.

• Options

Finally laid my half marathon PB to rest. It was 18 years old and well-past its usefulness. Got a shiny new one now, which is more than 2 mins quicker, and now have the most amazingly massive smile on my face! Chip time 1:44:51!!!!

"Barcelona" was the Casteldeffels race (flat, except for 5x over a road bridge; look for photos on this thread from October 2011), which this year is on 20th October. I'll be doing the one in Palma (Majorca, flat 10k, hilly to half, flat to 30k, flat seaside road to Cathedral finish) on the same day, hopefully with about 15-20 clubmates! The hotel will be one hell of a party-place!

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Wahooooooo Jim!  Fan blooming tastic and well deserved too imageimageimage  OMG, just think what you're going to do to your marathon pb - 3.30-45?

Running streak day 8 of 111

9.95 undulating/hilly miles all on the lanes. Cold when I first went out but got quite warm by the time I'd finished. Legs feeling good!

Total miles so far 72.26

• Options

depends on the marathon, Redhead! ultimately I would love to do 3:30, but that'd require running 26.2 miles at the same speed I did today... not wholly impossible, but not likely without a good 6 months of hard mileage (60-80 miles a week) on top of a base of speedwork. Maybe London or Manchester next year!

RH, what's the terms of the streak? it's very high mileage for "just" running every day!

• Options

Jim, well done mate that's great news, the fact that it's an 18yr old PB makes it sooooo much more impressive too. 

Red, so just a few miles this week then!!!

fenn hows the body feeling one week on then? in fact how is everyone feeling a week on? Red maybe you should not comment, makes the rest of us feel bad (I've been meaning to sponsor you by the way, think that what your doing and how you have linked it all is fantastic)

• Options

Excellent work Jim! Well done imageimageimage

Nice miles Red

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Jim it's a minimum of 5.5 miles for the 55 days a day up until my birthday in June (I'm 55 at the moment) then it's a minimum of 5.6 miles a day for a further 56 days.  Simples! image  The only reason it was so high the first week was 'cos it started with VLM.  I reckon it will settle around the 40 miles a week mark.  Oh and I reckon you'll get that 3:30 eventually as you've got the hunger for it.

Thanks Denise.  How are you feeling?

Andrew, awwh, bless you, that's really kind of you. ps I'm feeling quite good for an old biddy image

• Options

Brighton entry done... Now for London tomorrow!

• Options

London entry done... might enter Miton Keynes as a backup..

• Options

oh, estimated finish, 3:35:00. Sorry guys! too optimistic, perhaps!

• Options

2014 entry done! I've donated my entry fee - that was how i got my 2013 place. 

Back to running proper for me this week.  Running club tonight long run again this weekend! Prep for Edinburgh!

Red - how did you get on with 2 marathons back to back? I'm conscious that I've been an idiot entering Edinburgh, but I was on such a high post London I felt like I could do anything! 

Will I be capable of beating my time? or are they too close for that? Should I just fun run it? 

I ran Leeds half 2 weeks after London in 2010 and got a sub 2 time, so it's not all bad is it????? 

Any advice greatly appreciated! 

• Options

congrats Iccle Jim thats a great time..just goes to show that allthe hard work has payed off..image

0 miles for me..post marathon...no reason just lazy! ....anyway moving on,,,,despite never doing another marathon did find myself on the ballot page this morning for London, unfortunately /fortunately depending how you look at it..it was closed by 11ish.

Denise...how are you feeling...have you done much running post london..am i right that edinburgh is end of May? doesnt sound impossible to me..if you are motivated for it!   

• Options

Entry is now CLOSED for London 2014 and I was very nearly leaving it till I got home tonight...v glad I didn'timage

• Options

my god that is fast!!!! 17 hrs last year it must have been close to 4 this year! (i think it opened at 8 this morn?

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

The VLM ballot opened at midnight I think.  I was going to enter at lunchtime but it was closed already.  Never mind, there's always the GB route again if I decide to do it image

Well done to all of you who entered and fingers crossed for you.  I deliberately didn't enter Brighton as I want a change so maybe I should have a break from VLM too?  Please feel free to remind me of that when I'm filling out another GB application next year image

Denise, you'll be well recovered by the end of May.  Just make sure you don't push too hard over the next few weeks and ease back on any speedwork as there's nothing to be gained 'cos you did all the training for VLM.  Just tick over and you'll find you've got enough energy to push it.  As you know I usually just plod so multiple marathons are easily done but when I did 5 marathons last year I did course pbs for 3 of them.  When I did 3 marathons on consecutive weekends I did a course pb on 2 of them - interestingly it was on numbers 2 & 3 which seems odd doesn't it!

Running streak day 9 of 111

5.79 undulating/hilly miles all on the lanes except for the last 1.5 miles across the fields. Asthma a bit gunky on the uphill sections.  Am now thinking about an autumn marathon..........

Total miles so far 78.05