Options

sub or about 4h30 hopefully

Comments

• Options

lol...I couldn't even get in the ballot to get rejected! 

very much enjoying the running total Red!

• Options

glad I set my alarm for 1am!

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Running streak day 10 of 111

7.52 undulating/hilly miles mostly on the lanes except for the last 2.5 miles across the fields. It was jolly cold out there at 5:30am but I had to go early to head off into London.

Total miles so far 85.57 image

• Options

Top work red, too busy with coursework marking this week to run so far but going to try and gout to this eve. Meant to be running a half this weekend in marlow

• Options

6 miles incl 6x 3 mins effots with 1 min recovery. Efforts at between 7:00 and 7:15 pace.

I felt hevy in my legs and couldn't quite get up a decent speed each time - 7.15 sounds fast but it's only a bit ahead of 10k pace, perhaps slower than my next 5k pace and I certainly shouldn't be having to push hard to do it after 2 minutes! Oh well, maybe that half marathon took more than my legs were willing to give?!

Resting up tonight (housework!) and a longish run tomorrow....

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Another glorious day here.

Running streak day 11 of 111 (soon be into double figures)

5.91 miles all across fields or on woodland paths. Stumbled on a few tree roots but managed not to kiss the earth this time!

Total miles so far 90.48

Jim, LOL at the housework you glamour boy!

Andrew, hope the weather's nice for your 1/2.  I'm off to Badminton horse trials on Friday and Saturday as ARUK are their charity of the year.  I'll be speaking on their radio station and I've been given permission to do my daily runs around the grounds - how cool is that image

• Options

I worked at Badminton a few times! they used to bus a load of us from Bath Uni to help do carparking in the mornings then get a free pass for the afternoons! we used to play "spot the horse" - a cruel game where we ranked the girls and their mums for looks, and got double points if the family's horse was better looking!

Glorious sunshine this afternoon so might ignore the housework and run along the river instead!

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

LOL at your Badminton game Jim!  Good plan to ditch tthe housework.

• Options

even better than ditching the housework was a visit to the running shop. New pair of dual-layer shorts for LSRs...image

Got home and put a load of washing on. Rock and roll!

• Options

im not sure i could cope with that kind of high pressure lifestyle Jim!image though I do love buying new running gear, mainly as its so rare that I allow myself anything new.

need to get out for a run this evening.  Been bogged down marking coursework all week so not been out since Sunday when I ran a speedy 4 miles (average pace little under 7 min miles) but want to make the most of this lovely weather so going to do about 6-7 at about 7.45-8min miles i think (about the pace I want to run this half on Sunday at) Looking forward to Sunday if it stays nice as its all along the rivers so not a run to get a time in, just one to relax and enjoy the atmosphere me thinks image

• Options

A night of house cleaning for me ...zero runs to log image

Love new running gear....already know my next trainer purchase, but will have to wait till they go in the salel

I signed up for a local 10k race this week. Its in about 10 weeks so am looking to beat 52mins....

Andrew good luck in half this weekend...

• Options

good luck Andrew! you should beat my 1:44... just keep it steady!

• Options

thanks guys, tho not likely Jim, not planning on racing this one im still feeling it on my runs from VLM. (tho you never know what will happen on the day) so plan is to go under 1hr 50 and enjoy the race. Will be aiming to go sub 1:40 in Oxford in Oct

• Options

regular sub 1:50 runs will give you great confidence. Have fun!

• Options

So much for plodding it. Felt fairly fresh this morn so thought I'd give it a go today and stay at 1hr 40 pace for as long as possible and see what happens. Now proud owner of a shiny new PB half marathon time of 1:39:45. previous PB was 1:41:12 set about 5yrs ago at silverstone

• Options

congratulations Andrew, that's awesome! image

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Glorious morning here and will be running xc when the bread has finished baking.

Andrew, that's brilliant!  Very well done.  It's always gratifying to beat a long-standing pb image

Still on a high from Badminton Horse Trials and still got a silly grin all over my face!

I haven't been slacking on my Running Streak whilst away so here are my latest runs (there will be another one to add for today but I haven't been out yet):

Running streak days 12 - 14 of 111

Day 12 - 5.85 miles all on grass, around the car parks, camp sites and some of the grounds at Badminton. Got stopped loads of times by people asking me what I was doing (I had the scarf around my neck!!!).

Day 13 - 5.62 miles all on grass, followed most of the xc route with additional bits across the front of the house and along a couple of the entrance lanes. All at Badminton again but without the scarf.

Day 14 - 5.51 miles back home along the lanes.

Total miles so far 107.46 image

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Running streak day 15 of 111

5.53 miles, 2 on the lanes, 3 on rough grass.  I seem to be upping the pace quite naturally although I'm not pushing at all, just running at what feels like a comfortable pace.  No structured speedwork for another couple of weeks yet.

Total miles so far 112.99

Now for some gardening image

• Options

100+ miles in 2 weeks Redhead? excellent!

• Options

Right, after beating my half marathon PB last week, I decided to treat myself in the only ways I know how. Half a tub of ice-cream, and a marathon entry.

The only "difficulty" was the marathon was today, in 20 dgeree heat! Milton Keynes was the place; it's a mostly flat race, but with dozens of underpasses which made for a 650ft total climb. They didn't half hurt!

I started well, averaging 8:40-9:00 pace, and pootled through halfway in about 1:56, but the heat had already hurt me, and the second half was just hellish and never-ending! It went wrong when I took a gel and then had to spend 2 minutes sat in a portaloo. I managed another reasonable mile for the 16th, but then hit the wall and walked a few times; I managed a couple of reasonable miles, but by then, "reasonable" meant more-like 9:20 pace. Having already lost my target of a super-good time, and then lost my target of 4 hours, I just had to keep running under 10:00 pace for the last few miles to get a PB, and then though it lost with spells of struggling to run at 10:30. Fortunately I got to the football stadium "just in time" and managed to shave about 70 seconds off my PB. For that, wahoo!

Worst PB ever!

Lessons learnt:

• don't enter a marathon the week before running
    • avoid marathons when it's going to be 20 degrees
    • 35 miles a week is not enough, especially when it doesn't include decent length LSRs. I ran 1 x 20, 18.6, 17, 16 and a couple of 15s and a few 13s/14s. Way not enough!
    • A PB is a PB, and must always be celebrated with ice-cream, no matter how "poor" the method of its gaining!
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

ROFLMAO Jim!  Silly boy but I applaud your chosen method of celebrating your pb, although I do think that alcohol should have played a part as well image

Underpasses are tricksy little things aren't they and often feature in city races.

For Day 16 of 111 streaky days I ran 8.36 miles almost all off-road.  The ground is now hard as concrete and the rutted bits are treacherous.  I ventured through the forest to the top of a hill and found where the buzzards are nesting.  

Total miles so far 121.35 - only 95 days to go (yikes!).

• Options

6 miles last night, steady and not too sore, though I did feel tired.

2 miles then pilates tonight - the pilates hurt more! makes 39 miles for the week, which sounds good! got a 10k race next week, so might drop the mileage (only doing 12 this Sunday) and taper a bit! I could do with a new PB for 10k... the current PB is a whole 4 weeks old!

• Options

Remind me Jim, whats the current 10k PB? My first of the season is in a couple of weeks

pilates is meant to be really good, I badly need to do something like that or yoga to help with my core strength and running

• Options

Andrew, 10k time is now 46:47 (23:37 first half, 23:10 second half)

Pilates has really helped me! there are usually three or four of us from the running club who go (same gym as where we're based) and the girl who runs it really knows how to make us scream! It is essentially stretching, concentrating on leg and core strength, but it's made me more flexible and probably more efficient. Good chance for the cute girls who go to gawp at my awesome, gorgeous temple of a body!

• Options

I'm sure they will say that is the same reason that they go along! image

If your looking at getting your 10k times down, drop your overall mileage so that your focusing on lots of shorter runs in the week with a longer 8-10 miles on the weekends.

hoping for a sub 43min 10k over the next few months 

• Options

focusing on a range of distances still; I've found an increase in weekly miles (I'm still bang-on 5 miles a day for 2013) has helped speed endurance. I felt really comfortable gettings PBs in the 10k, 1/2M and 20 mile races!

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Morning all,

I'm now up to Day 23 of 111 which was on the treddy and I upped the pace just to see how my legs responded.  Did 3 x .5 mile @ 8.5 min miling with no adverse effects so far.  Total mileage 5.55 - I tried to get my time to be the same, ie 55.55 mins but I was a bit out - 56.07.  Simple things amuse a simple mind image  Total mileage now 161.75.

I used to enjoy pilates but there aren't any classes nearby now and I don't stay motivated enough to do it on my own.  Not sure about yoga although it's good for felxibility.

• Options

IJ - did I read correctly that you entered a marathon the week before the event?! image

Great to hear the milage is ticking along so nicely RH - sure i saw a picci of you in a VLM promostional magazine or similar recently (it was one of your knitting exploits).

Hope you are all well.image

• Options

yeah, ran a half marathon PB on Sunday and decided to reward myself with a marathon entry. I found the Milton Keynes race still had entries available, and entered on Sunday night - 7 days and 12 hours before the race started!

I'd already done a good spring of training though clearly hadn't done enough marathon-length LSRs. It was a bit of a test, but now I am happy to report that 16 and 17 mile LSRs (with one 20 and one 30k) aren't enough. Average Sunday LSR since 1st Jan was 13.2 miles.

On the good side, it seems my club trip to Palma is going to happen, so I now have something like 23 weeks to race day. I'll lose the next few Sundays to 10k races and my dad's 70th birthday (no chance of a Sunday LSR with that hangover!) so will aim for 35 miles a week through May and June, then from July will increase weekly mileage by 5 miles each two weeks (i.e. 40, 40, 45, 45 for July, 50, 50, 55, 55 for August, and 5 x 60 for September). LSRs will get back to 20 mile each probably by July, and then increase in turn through 22, 22, 24, 22, 20, etc.

Scary thought, and I'll need to buy some new trainers to cope with all that!

• Options

Ye gods IJ - that sounds like a massive amount of training! I am tired just thinking about it! I have no idea how you squeeze all the trainign in let alone have to decication and commitment to complete it all. Good on you - I clearly need to get of my fat behind! image