Options

sub or about 4h30 hopefully

Comments

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Oh wow, what great stories.  Well done everyone!

Mark, it was a bad day at the office, that's all.  Ouch to the sunburn though.

I'm still writing about the days leading up to the marathon - I was up at 4:30am trying to catch up on my blog!

Day 3 of my running streak today and I ran 5.78 miles.  Legs felt OKish after 3 miles, same as yesterday, but today they didn't like going downhill image

• Options

Ouch Fenn that looks sore!

I seem to have been really lucky with my feet. Throughtout all my training and races I haven't had a single problem with blisters, sores etc. I'm using a pair of New Balance 860s.

I'm with Mark. I'm having a week off doing nothing and eating rubbish, then I'll be back on the road next week.

My muscles are feeling good today. Only noticable aches left is just in a couple of places in my right foot.

I have a picture to share too, but not what you think. This has been a long standing belief of mine, but I got it done yesterday to commemorate my achievement image

My first tattoo:

/members/images/770761/Gallery/WP_20130422_009.jpg

• Options

Hi guys, I managed 4 hours 34 mins and 3 seconds. Really happy for my first marathon, and my fundraising total is almost £2,500 for my charity too so I'm DELIGHTED!! Considering Dublin in October and am definitely entering the ballot for next year.... image Well done everyone!

• Options

Yes Red I am looking forward to hearing about your experience very much!

I am sore still... I haven't had a massage or cold baths, or stetched so probably only one person to blame...

No exercise for me till the weekend...I think ironically a 26.2 mile run has solved my foot issues???!!???!?! although may be a bit optimistic..

Wow Dan...medal and finishers t-shirt not enough for you? image nice mantra though for a tattoo.

well done George... great achievements..

• Options

Haha, it's been something I've wanted for a long time Fenn, but I thought what better way to justify its meaning than to have it done after a marathon image

• Options
    My quads have been really achy yesterday and again today, but I made myself go out for a recovery run this evening. Very very stiff going but weirdly also very fast without meaning to be so. Did just over 3.5 miles at 7.45min/mile pace

Mark fingers crossed for you for next time. Have a feeling that if you keep the weight off this time (and I'm sure you will if you keep running) then next time you train you can focus on just the running and not stress your body with all the weight training and additional gym work you were putting yourself through. The amount you have lost is a fantastic achievement though as is completing the marathon, even if you are a bit disappointed. Just stick with it

Oh and Fenn, what shade of nail polish is that?
  • Options

Well that was hard! I didn't even run a marathon and my legs killed! 20 miles biking doesn't suit my legs or my bum, and neither were happy today!

Two miles running to the club hurt like hell...  it got better as we ran to the common to do some xc hill reps, then I managed a lift home so it was only 7 miles, fortunately!

Now guys and girls, a confession! Sorry, but I joined another thread yesterday... a tad faster than this one, but as you're all like my running family, I'll still hang around and nag you into running more and running faster and running with more enjoyment!

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Jim, NOOOOooooooooooo!  How could you? OMG, I'm going to have to let you fly the nest, SOB!   About time you did really as you're such a speedy boy image

Fenn, your poor toe. 

Nice tattoo Dan - like the style of the writing.

Hi Georgina and welcome to the thread. Well done on your time.

• Options
    Been meaning to ask Jim, you have mentioned a few times that your long term aim is to beat your marathon PB. What time do you need to run?
  • Options
    Wow mark, you went through the wars, well done for sticking in and completing. Great effort and at least you can say you finished it, mo farah chucked it at half way.... Lol

Well done Georginagem, a great time and a fantastic amount for your charity.

I'm feeling fine, not too sore and will defo be in the ballot come Monday. I loved it and so far raised around ??1600 for breast cancer care. Happy days!
  • Options

Andrew, my marathon PB at the moment is 4:13 (Casteldeffels, 2011) but my aim for this year is likely to be around 3:45 and ultimately, 3:30.

It'll partly depend on what I do in the half on Sunday: having run 600 miles in training (inside 4 months!) for a half I reckon this could be as good as it gets!

• Options

So the question is what do I do now. I don't want to wait until next year to have another stab at a decent time. So thinking maybe the York one in October maybe. I think if I have a week off, start next Monday at the gym, do my usually 3 runs a week outside including  a long one at the weekend around 10-13 miles then  I wont have as much to build upto when I start for York in around a month or so.

I respond to goals and targets and if I have an aim. Im doing the great north run in September too which will be good training. I think doing a smaller more local Marathon where I don't have to get sponsors will take some pressure off me and York is flat and will be less crowded.

Or there is Bournemouth marathon and Jersey marathon too. I think I need that buzz again from the training, motivation, science and pressure to keep going with my weight loss and to get fitter and faster.

• Options
    Nice picture of you Mark in The Times following Katherine Jenkins into the finish !
  • Options

Really? How you know it's me lol.

I look awful in all the official photos taken during the race. Only 2 decent ones out of 15.

• Options

sounds fairly similar aims to myself Jim, although I wont be able to match your weekly milage with the family. But although I missed out on sub 4 at london, I had only decided to go for that a few weeks ago.  My training had initially been geared towards 4:10-4:15 so im hopeful that over the next couple of marathons I can get first under 4 hours, then 3.45. Not sure if ill quite make the sub 3.30 though, although ive ran a half in 1hr 41 so the race calculators seem to think I should be going for that

• Options

Cougie is that todays Times? Had a look at supermarket and couldn't find it.

• Options
    Been sent home from work, I feel crap, and Im still walking like an idiot! image

No real energy to reply but am here enjoying posts!
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

(((Fenn))) take it easy love xxx

Day 4 of 111 for me and 5.60 miles of a mixture of grass, ploughed fields and tarmac with some hills. My legs felt fine.  That's 43.5 miles so far. I wouldn't have known I've just run 2 marathons image

Finally finished updating my blog. The first post is about VLM but those of you interested in the Guinness World Records press conference and photo shoot or the Alzheimer's Show will need to scroll down the page to Frantic Friday parts 1, 2, & 3.

It's been and awesome week!!!

http://extremeknittingredhead.blogspot.co.uk/

• Options

Im still shattered, when I say Ive had 3-4 hours sleep each night since Friday im not exaggerating, if I know I have to be up early or get a good nights sleep I never do, its like reverse physcology.

Still debating my cours eof action but think im going to do the leeds half in 3 weeks ive a spot for then build up to great north run in September then use that as part of training for the York marathon October 21st, then that gives me a month off then start for London and my aim of under 4 hours. I should be fat free by the start of training for London and the race itself for York and be flying in training.

• Options
    Mark - it was on the website version of the Times.
  • Options

Today? Do you have full subscription to it Cougie? I looked could not find it can you help cheers?

• Options
    So the big question now people is what next for us all? I know a great number will be in the ballot on Monday, but anything else first? I'm torn... I have a few 10k races and a half over the next few months ( the half is next week actually postponed from march due to weather) but what to do in the autumn? Being based in Oxford there is the Oxford half, fairly flat and a real chance to go sub 1.40 which I've never done in a race before. But I'm also reluctant to wait a whole year to return to 26.2 ESP when I was so agonisingly close to sub 4hr in London. Looks like the best , flattish, highly populated marathons at that time will be Bournemouth and Chester, Chester looks the better (and cheaper) of the two but is the week before Oxford half so I can't push for a PB in both... Decisions decisions!
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Andrew, if you're in Oxford, how about the Abingdon mara?  It's fast, flat and defo a pb course.  Only drag is that it's 2 laps but if that doesn't bother you then I'd enter soon as it's very popular.

During my streak I'll be aiming to get my 10k and 1/2 times down ready for autumn and there's bound to be at least one trail marathon for me later in the year image

• Options

I'm still hoping to organise a club trip (perhaps 15 of us) to Palma in October, and probably will run Bournemouth or Mablethorpe a few weeks before (Bourney is close to my sister's house and Mable is only 30 miles from here)

Hope to just increase mileage through the summer probably 15 miles each Sunday and 20-25 miles midweek with some hard speedwork on Tuesdays and maybe Fridays.

• Options
    Red, Thought about Abingdon, think it may have sold out now, initially promised my wife I wouldn't train for another mara till next year but so close to that sub 4 I'm tempted to get another in this yr! The eventual aim is to enter a couple of trail maras, beachyhead and snowdon over next few yrs
  • Options

Morning, folks...

I feel like a different person this morning and I am back walking normally again yay!!

Yes thats the question been on my lips this week... what next.. for me deciding between Oxford and Windsor Half. (windsor is where I grew up but it is not flat!) so thinking leaning towards Oxford half... I am really looking for 10Ks between then and now..

Red haven't finished reading your blog.... but very much enjoying it!Sounds like a very special weekend.. wish I had seen you as have no idea how one knits and runs at the same time..Interested to read your OH did not watch you on Sunday...any reason behind this?

Im desperately trying to get in the 5mile olympic stadium run this morning... but proving impossible to get on the web site! image

• Options

great news Fenn, some friends ran Oxford last year and gave it mixed reviews but it was in its first year so should improve. 

I think the sensible thing for me this year would be to run Oxford and aim for a PB and then look to run a spring and autumn marathon next year. (will be in less trouble with the other half that way!) just annoying that Oxford isnt a week or two later or id train for one of the early Oct marathons and then run Oxford as well.

does anyone know if you can defer Brighton if you enter? was thinking of entering that now but if im lucky enough to get into london again I dont want to do the two back to back (maybe in the future)

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭

Not sure about deferring Brighton Andrew.  They definitely offered the option the first year to entice people so perhaps they've continued it.  It's a great marathon and very well supported.

Fenn, excellent news!  Don't worry about hubby not watching me - the first year I ran London he did the trying-to-spot-me-at-various-points thing and it was a complete logistic nightmare so the next time he just supported in Narrow street with people form the charity.  But, 'cos I've done so many marathons now, and I always know lots of people who'll cheer me on, I'd rather he nipped off for a look around the art galleries and music shops and didn't have to hang around waiting to see me run past for all of 5 seconds.  I phone him as soon as I cross the finish line (unless I get nabbed for an interview!) and I always know exactly where he'll be waiting for me as we have a good little routine in place.  

It's tough being someone's support crew and we once did a radio interview together on Radio 1 (and I've forgotten the guy's name but it's Danny something) which was hilarious as the presenter was saying it's harder to the supporters as they have to wait around for hours just to wave to their runner for a few seconds image

There might still be a clip of me running and knitting on this link to Meridian http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/story/2013-04-19/marathon-knitter-races-ahead/ - that was actually staged and it was very different on the day with thousands of runners around me!

Running streak day 5 of 111 - 

7.25 miles (I couldn't help myself, it was such a glorious morning, all misty with the sun peeping through!) mostly run on grass or compacted dirt through woodland and 1 mile of tarmac. Only a couple of hills. The dawn chorus was phenomenal today. Felt blessed to live in such a beautiful place image

Total miles so far 50.75

• Options

andrew heley - I deferred Brighton this year to 2014, I think you might have to pay entry again (might depend when you defer) but you're guaranteed a spot image

• Options

Red....nice work 7.25 miles.. sounds idillic seen some photos on your blog too (not stalking you too much promise)image

Yes agree about the spectating thing.. I was so upset when I missed my family at mile 15. They were at Cutty Sark, 15, 18 and birdcage (all very busy spots) so scanning crowd was difficult (they had a helium balloon , but with the wind it didnt work very well) In future if i did it again I would have them at quieter spots...

Did I just right 'If i did it again', it was never again yesterday!!!