Options

PROVISIONAL Helphire Bath Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Monkfish,

That is correct, the cutover point from first to second lap is at Churchill Bridge.
  • Options
    Tinribs-your only worried that I might beat you that this one!!

Hilly-lots of people seem to moan about this race but keep coming back for more so can't be that bad!
  • Options
    Zoom....... ;-)......just you wait!!! :-)
  • Options
    Promises promises Tinribs;-)
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Evening.

WhichWayNow!, my pic is from Cardiff 04. I did the marathon, did you do the half then?

Zoom, that's very typical of runners don't you think!:o)
    Birdy Pie
    Blisters (2107)(1:25)
    Blond Dog
    Bodjit
    Chaos
    Essy (1:58)
    Glugg (Race No.2822)(hoping to do 85mins)
    Grubbysoles (2:05)
    Head Gone (Hope to finish this year)(1540) 2:30
    Hilly
    Josie Jump (sub 2hr attempt)
    Josie's big little bro (first half)
    Josie's little little bro (first half)
    LLL-(1:24)
    Mitten - (1:50:00ish!!)
    Monkfish (first half)
    Mr J (first half)
    Musketeer (4173)
    Oft (89:59)
    Pablo Honey (1st sub 2hr attempt)
    Pompey Jon (1:59.59)
    Pompey Jon's Bruv (1:59.58 probably)
    Raggy (sub 1.45)
    Ratcatcher (1:30)
    Rocks 2093 (1:25)
    RogerDodge 4222 (2:30-2:40)
    Skipp (first half)
    Spans
    Stace. 1033 (sub 1:50) I hope!
    Tea & Toast Man (1:42-1:45)
    The Doc (Race No 516)
    The Ed (Race No 1077)
    Tixylix (Race No. 1495)
    Toucan
    Wrinty (669)(1:23)
    Zzz (Race no.2020)(first half)(2:00-2:15)

• Options
    Hilly I did the half in cardiff as I ran 3 half marathons that month so I was a bit tired! I did enjoy the cardiff half. Deff the best half I have done so far. Saying that I will have to see how bath goes!!
    Am hoping for a 1 hr 30 finish.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    WWN, Cardiff was a good event. I too enjoyed it, especially the finish!:o)

Good luck with your 1:30! What times have you done so far for 1/2M?
  • Options
    I just go wow! when I hear times of under 2hrs, can't ever see me getting 1hrs 30mins (age being against me as just over 4years til big 4 o but then I was a vet when I started running!)

Birdy Pie
    Blond Dog
    Bodjit
    Chaos
    Hilly
    Monkfish (first half)
    Mr J (first half)
    Musketeer (4173)
    Raggy (sub 1.45)
    Skipp (first half)
    Spans
    The Doc (Race No 516)
    The Ed (Race No 1077)
    Tixylix (Race No. 1495)
    Toucan
    Zoom (AKA Zzz) (Race no.2020)(first half)(2:00-2:15)
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    C'mon LLL you can do better than 1:24:-)
  • Options
    Hilly - my best 1/2 time was from cardiff. 1hr 32.
    I also did the Ultra Marathon 30 mile in Jan at Oldbury and finished 4hrs 20sec. Place 30/70. P.S. they hurt a bit!
  • Options
    Wrinty-Im cursed on 1:25 at the moment with 3 out of 4 last year and the other being 1:26 so ill be over the moon with a 1:24.

BUT you never know all the hard work ive been puting in something weird might happen.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    WWN, your half time is the same as mine. I too am going for 1:30 at Bath. I can't boast of an ultra though:o) Well done that's a really good time!

Zoom, age isn't a barrier. Hard consistent training brings about results! I'm f40 and won't allow my age to stop me training like I was 20 years younger:o)

LLL-you'll break 1:25 I'm sure!
  • Options
    LLL...
    Your doing what you always do before a big race... You'll come in at 1:20:00 Knowing you!

Zoom...
    I agee with Hilly, I'm 40 and have only been running seriously for 2 and 1/2 years.
    My first HM was 2:00:11, my last one was 1:47:12.
    Don't forget running takes years off you!
    Stace.
    {:o)¬<
  • Options
    'ello Stace - good to have you back on thread. Just like old times !

You doing OK ? What's your target for this one then?
    RD
  • Options
    Hilly - that's a very good time. I'm 23 and never broken 1hr 30 but I'm sure I will one day! Maybe I should invest in one of those Garmin Forerunners watches to work out my pace!
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement guys. I have noticed a big difference in my speed since I introduced extra weekly hill sessions after christmas in training programme for this race. My pb for 10k last year was Swansea Bay in Oct which I did 66mins, I did Lliswerry 8miler in January in 74mins. Doing valentines 10k in cardiff this saturday and hoping to get in in about 57mins. It's great to see how I am improving so maybe in a couple of years I will be doing halfs in 90mins!!

Received my number today. Looks a bit tatty before I've even put it on!
  • Options
    got my number and baggage label yesterday.
    going back to what the Race Director said about the course I don't think that IK Brunel designed GreeN Park Station as it was on the Midland Railway.
  • Options
    Stace-Thats a big jump to knock 13 mins off your 1st half,ive only managed 5 mins off mine in my 2 years of running.1:20 maybe in about 3 years.

Entering this race as given me new found motivation so something good as come out of it.

WWN.Youve got loads of time on your hands,i only started a couple of years ago at the tender age of 30 although ive always gone out for the odd jog or two but nothing ever serious.Keep enjoying it thats the main thing.

Wrinty-Hows your injury,hope your gonna let me keep up with you at this one.
  • Options
    LLL - That's another pint you owe me, then Jason :-)

Got my Race Pack today - I'll revise my predicted time after the Reading Half on 6th.

WWN - I'm positively ancient, but I love it [ & running ;-) ]
    RD
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    Bloody hamstring has gone again and I am struggling to do any serious mileage. Considering pulling out of next weekends Bramley 10 which was to give me a gauge of my fitness for Bath HM:-(
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    WWN, keep up the good work I'm sure you'll go sub 1:30 soon enough and then it'll become a regular thing!

Could someone tell me how the start of this race is organised. Has it got time zones?
  • Options
    Has anyone run this course before. What's it like? I am looking forward to this one but I don't know what to expect.
    I also need to get some good long distance road trainers. They need to be light as well as stable. Any advice?

Has anyone seen the London to Brighton ultra in Oct? I fancy a go at that one. I have already ran one ultra marathon and yes they do hurt a bit afterwards! The qualifying time for this one is a marathon in under 4hrs so I should be ok and the cut off is 10 hrs.
  • Options
    Chalk up another !!

Birdy Pie
    Blond Dog
    Bodjit
    Chaos
    Hilly
    iPlod (2880) 1:50 - 1:55
    Monkfish (first half)
    Mr J (first half)
    Musketeer (4173)
    Raggy (sub 1.45)
    Skipp (first half)
    Spans
    The Doc (Race No 516)
    The Ed (Race No 1077)
    Tixylix (Race No. 1495)
    Toucan
    Zoom (AKA Zzz) (Race no.2020)(first half)(2:00-2:15)

Going for 3-4mins improvement over PB at Bristol last year. Doesn't sound much, but I suspect it won't be easy to maintain the pace for every single mile!

Counting down to Weston Tough 10 then Bath.
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    Hilly, There are time zones at the start line in Great Pultney Street but as with most races of this size they are largley ignored by the majority of runners.

WWN, Injuries permitting this will be my fifth time at the Bath Half, so I guess that I know the course reasonably well. The first mile is downhill and then does two undulating 5.5 mile laps as the course follows the river Avon out towards Bristol and then back in on the other bank. Then the final mile is a mile long drag back up the hill. The course is normally well supported and if the RD can sort out the weather it is quite an enjoyable run.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Wrinty. So has you've done it a fair few times would you say it's a good course for a pb?

WWN, I wear lightweight trainers-Saucony Trigon, Saucony Praxis, Saucony Fast Twitch Endurance, Asics DS trainers, Nike Skylons. I do mildly pronate so apart from the Skylons I think the others have a bit of medial support in them. They're all excellent trainers though! Your best bet is to visit a good running store and try on different models.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sorry that should say as not has!
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    Bath can be a PB course and I am sure that many have been recorded there.

For me it always seems to be rather an ordeal and I have been getting slower each time out, but this is probably due to me always running better in the Autumn than the Spring on account of my obligitory Winter injury:-(
  • Options
    Got my race pack today (well, Saturday), and just backing up Wrinty, Bath does hold my 1:28 pb from last year.

This is one course where you CAN start faster than even pace and get away with it. Which is lucky for me really, as I can't seem to master the negative split.
  • Options
    Blisters-That was an early post had you just got in from a nightclub or something?

Just about to go out for m long run.Its cold,windy and raining hard.Will report back later.
  • Options
    Must be five weeks to go now then!

blisters-love the pic of you on the floor, thats what I always feeling like doing after a race but never have the courage;-)

On track for 2-2.15 after getting my first sub 60 10k yesterday (59mins 26sec) there is a query about the distance being too long though so time could have been lower (it was a charity not club organised race.) Very good day all round as we called in the local pub afterwards and watched the wales rugby match (we finally can be proud again of our rugby.) It was fab to be in the capital with your countrymen and women (and a few english who had done the race too and had no choice but to cheer for wales!) and drink a nice pint (or few) of bread of heaven (glugg-have you had that one?!)