Options

PROVISIONAL Helphire Bath Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Last time I went to Bath was to go to the theatre to see a certain play with the intials VM (any of you ladies seen it?) Didn't go far from the theatre, so wouldn't really know where to go so Lambrettas Bar on North Parade sounds good to me.
  • Options
    Roger Dodge...
    Yep Still About, Still waiting to see if Guide Dogs want me for the LM!
    So in preperation "ultra fit mate" said It would be agood idea to stretch out some leg muscles. This turned out to be An MT organised by Thornbury RC Called the River bank Rollick. (7.5miles of bog trotting & hill climbing... oh yes and falling over!) I really ache today! It would have been better if I had some of them snazzy 4x4 trianers. Finished 127th of 204 entrants with a time of 1:29:55- pretty crap I know but it all goes into the training pot for the Bath HM.
    LLL...
    You're still putting me to shame I see.
    How's it going ol' chap?
    Stace.
  • Options
    Oooh, I was wondering if people were going to meet up. I've lived in Bath for 10 years so I know most of the decent pubs.
  • Options
    I should probably join in if we are talking about pubs! Lambrettas Bar doesn't sound the sort of place that would be in the good beer guide but I'm willing to give it a go.

Really only 9 weeks? Crikey...best crack on with some training!
  • Options
    LOL-you guys and your beer, your all crawling out of the woodwork now!

Well done Stace-127 out 204 is very respectable(maybe the 'ultra fit mate' and 'river bank rollick' bits would have given you a clue that it wasn't going to be a walk in the park!!!)
  • Options
    Beer, beer, ooh thank you!
  • Options
    Zzz...
    Thanks you're probably right... But when someone says "it involves running" the other bits like "mud, sweat n fears" (of heights)- don't register in my head, until I hear my self saying "OK I'll do it, Can't be that bad!"...

All...
    This meeting up for a pint. Sounds good to me. Does any one Know if the Park and Ride is open on the Bristol side on the A4? There is A PUB/RESTARUANT on the river bank next door. Just a sugestion?
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

Zzz - Current anticipated mail out date for race numbers is Feb 6th, we're waiting on one piece of artwork from a sponsor prior to printing the race programme, will confirm date asap.

Stace - I can also confirm The Park & Ride sites at Newbridge (A4 Bristol side), Lansdown (adjacent A46 to the north) and Odd Down (A367 to the south) are all scheduled to be open for the day, for the first time in 2005. The pub next door to Newbridge P& R is like a 'Harvester' - good for families & OK beer (surprisingly). Lambretta's pretty funky pub/wine bar - excellent beer.
  • Options
    Wow, top man on the job!
  • Options
    Good to hear about the mail out Race Director - sounds like things are going a little smoother for you this year...

...now if you can sort the weather out a bit better this time I would be very impressed!
  • Options
    Stace - I only just got your text about your "Tales of the River Bank"! Well done, matey. I had to be content with 8m of hilly hummocks.

Talking of which, if anyone is up for a very nice "leg stretcher" to chuck into the Bath training pot - there is the Longleat 10k on 6th Feb (they've locked up the lions for the day). It's a challenging little course with a few up-ulations, although some very nice long downhill stretches to make up for it - chip timing and a nice medal, I'm told.
    RD
  • Options
    Director-Thanks for that.

Great news about park and ride being open. If we are coming from wales think the Lansdown one will be best bet.

RD- did like the sound of doing the 10k at longleat but got Lliswerry 8 week before and need to get out and get mileage up so thanks, but will pass.
  • Options
    Director...
    Thanks from me too! Does that mean that the Park and Ride on the A4 will go "Door to Door" to the start/Finish Line? Would be Handy for me!

R.D...

I Reckon your on that " it'll get there in the end" mobile network (other wise Known as orange). Still not looking good for Longleat for me 'ol buddy as daughter has made the quater finals in the county swim trials...
  • Options
    Stace - Nah! It'll be "I'm sure I used it this morning" & "how do I find the frigging thing when the battery is flat"
    That's good news about the swimming - bet she's chuffed with that - wish her good luck and swim strong.
    I ran the course at Longleat at the weekend - Frenchay will seem easy! Still have a try at a pb though.
    RD

• Options
    R.D...
    Thanks mate I'll tell pass on your good wishes.
    "the Hills are alive with the sound of...PANTING!"
    (Are you starting a Frenchay Thread this year?).
    Stace.

• Options
    Stace - I did pass some sheep this morning if that's what you mean ;-)
    Frenchay - yes, I was going to but they don't appear to have it listed on the Events section yet. I sent my application off few weeks ago and I've already got my number (No. 500) - Doh! wait a minute that's the entry limit - are they trying to tell me summat?
    RD
  • Options
    R.D...
    Baaaaaaaaaad Joke!
  • Options
    Stace - I think they were trying to fleece me!
    RD
    {:o)<<
  • Options
    RD, where did you find details of Frenchay? Did it last year and enjoyed it so may have another go!
  • Options
    When and what distance is frenchay please?
  • Options
    10k!

Not flat but very nice run, just a couple of short sharp hills (one at the end),

............. oops, hijacking thread alert!
  • Options
    Frenchay 10k

Oops - sorry about the hi-jack - I did start a Frenchay thread yesterday - see you over there - it's a luvverly race.
    RD
  • Options
    Thanks guys, but afarid I won't be able to make that one, hopefully I will be running aroung central park, I'm in new york that weekend!

These races are so annoying, there are just so many I want to do, but have to limit myself to one a month with family commitments (two boys who also play roller hockey, football and rugby on weekends!) and cost of entry and transport etc (oh, and weekends in new york!)
  • Options
    Training says 13m this weekend so three of us off to do forest of dean half marathon course. Hope the weather improves!

Do you beer drinkers have a regional favourite beer at each of the races?!
  • Options
    Its the only way to travel, good beer guide in one hand, race diary in the other!

Betty Boo in the bath.....cute.
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    Just when I thought I was back on track for Bath (my hamstring had sorted it'self out and I even managed a 12 miler last weekend) then I go and catch the dreaded lurgy. Not a step run for a week and still finding breathing hardwork, I might force something tommorrow as it is improving albeit slowly.
  • Options
    Who's betty boop?! It was hard work getting that photo just how I wanted it (luckily you can't see the short big toenail that hasn't quiet grown back) and the bathroom got flooded;-)

I love my bath, it has to be a scorcher of a day for me to want to shower. I'm not a paula though, I like my bath hot!

Wrinty-hope the run goes ok tomorrow, take it easy!
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    Thanks Zzz, I managed to get through a six miler this morning. The first couple miles were a little hard on the respiratory system but after that I managed to get into my normal rythm of puffing and panting. Try it again tomorrow.
  • Options
    Sounds like your on the road to recovery Wrinty.

Had a wonderful run in the snowy forest of dean. Nice to get off the road for a change and run where we couldn't even hear anything but the countryside.
  • Options
    That sounds like the best run ever.