Options

PROVISIONAL Helphire Bath Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Hello hello. Bath 2004 was my first half-marathon so I'm going back for the re-match a year later to see how I've improved! Plodded round in 2:15 this year so hoping for some improvement in '05. Also hoping to look slightly less near to death in my finish-line photo...

Birdy Pie
    Blisters (1:25)
    Blond Dog
    grubbysoles (2:05)
    Head Gone (Hope to finish this year)
    Josie Jump (sub 2hr attempt)
    Josie's big little bro (first half)
    Josie's little little bro (first half)
    Mr J (first half)
    oft (89:59)
    Rocks
    Spans
    The Doc / No Fear / The Ed
    Toucan
    Wrinty
    Zzz (first half)
  • Options
    God yes Grubby - my photo was truly awful from last year - looked like a drowned rat. Depending how the training goes over the winter I'm going to aim for a PB at this one as well.
  • Options
    I can't do any worse than my last half (Windsor 2:45) but I would like a new Pb. If I get under the 2hr I will buy any forumite who asks me a drink !!!!
  • Options
    <makes a note of JJ's last post>

:o)
  • Options
    Now where did I put Mike Gratton's number?
  • Options
    oh no I feel I may succumb...

still resisting though.
  • Options

I've got the option of a priority entry for this race, dunno, wherever I look this race gets poor reviews
  • Options
    Hi Guys.

Thanks for all your comments. We've been working very hard in the last 6 months to address the shortcomings in last year's race, with significant investment in additional staff and computor/data systems, and I'm confident you'll appreciate the better service we can provide. The office is now manned 5 days a week for telephone & email enquiries and we aim to respond to all queries within 2 working days.

I am comforted by the thought that most of the major events have suffered 'growing pains' at some time only to bounce back with renewed vigour.

I can confirm that the council have now agreed to allow us to close both carriageways of the course route, so it will be truly traffic free for the first time. This will also enable us to increase entries from 5,500 in 2004 to 8,000 in 2005 and hopefully 10,000 in 2006.

Why expand - because we are simply responding to increasing demand and the race has to expand to survive. The race still barely covers its costs, so you can forget any idea of anyone making any money out of this type of event.

Priority entries (reserved for last year's entrants) are now open through the event website. 50% of the general public places have now been sold and we open for new applicants on Tuesday. So if you want to run apply now !

Feel free to contact me with any queries & I'll try to keep you informed through this forum.
  • Options
    Even when I last ran in 99 and 2000 getting from the rec to Pultney street was a bit of a squeeze, with an extra 2500 runners plus family / supporters etc will the Rec and the rest of the infastucture be able to cope (especially if it should rain)? and dealing with 10000 plus?!

I remember Brendon Foster being a little suprised by the mayor of Portsmouth declaring (on TV) that he wanted to dramatically increase the entry at the Great South Run, at least Portsmouth has lots of open space to put the extra capacity and deal with the influx on the site even if getting in and out of the place on the day would be a mare! Big races are starting to look more like a cattle market competition between citys with little thought put to the poor old runner who just wants a decent shot at hitting their goals!
  • Options
    Oh and by the way will there be any changing/showering facilities???
  • Options
    Memo to Mr Race Director
    1)Entry to The Rec...CAN anything be done?
    2)Start line organisation. This may need stronger marshalling to ensure that Mr Lardy and his walking pals don't end up in the 1:45 start zone. Much bigger signs at the very least.
    3)Please go with timing technology that is backed by a proven service organisation. Championchips are now disposable.
    4)Marshalling and funnelling at the finish area needs to ensure that ALL runners get the goody bags to which they are entitled.
    5)Toilets? Any chance of getting a few 10'x20' rollalongs with trough urinals? Basic, efficient, high throughput, self contained system underneath. These would reduce the queue pressure on the Solo sitters for the ladies & no2s.
    6) We may not be able to have 5* showers freely on tap, but......
    7)Pleeeeease can you provide 2 tents (M & F) for us to get changed in after the race?

I want to be constructive, unlike some of the doom merchants who have posted here.
  • Options
    A couple on TV the other night paid £3000 deposit on a propery in Bulgaria sight unseen, having never been anwhere near the country even................ If people do daft things like that it shouldn't suprise anyone that people will throw a few quid at a race organisation that has performed increasingly badly in the past couple of years at least, and then claims to want to increase numbers to almost double!

I am like a lot of runners generally am an optomist (most potential Bath entrants must have extra optomism) and will more often than not take the positive from any adverse situation, I am also a realist and I really don't think 10000+ people on the rec into Pultney street is very realistic at present.
  • Options
    Thanks for your comments. These are areas we have spent significant time looking at, and we wouldn't be proceeding unless we were 100% confident both that we can deliver and that they will improve the race for everyone. We will be changing the layout of the site slightly to ensure proper access to and from the Rec and to accomodate the additional runners/spectators. We will also be providing additional changing facilities, toilets, marquees, food etc to even cope with the weather conditions experienced last year (2004) ! As far as timing is concerned, the race number RFID chip is a proven technology and has significant benefits over the Championship lace chip. But I'm afraid at present there is no way we can provide showers on the site.
  • Options
    RE: RFID chip - I've ran half a dozen races with championchip, with no probs with some giving accurate splits. My one race with RFID chip says I didn't run.
  • Options
    oh and it's very uncomfortable to have what is effectively a piece of chardboard pinned to your chest.
  • Options
    Race Director - ran last year and you still haven't published the chip times. I wouldn't normally be bothered but I forgot to stop my watch at the finish.

If you've given up on publishing chip times it's a bit rich considering the entrance fees.
  • Options
    Race Director - it is good to know that you will be popping into this thread. Good luck with the organisation.
  • Options
    BHRD,

I will 'fess up to having been harshly critical of last years race, and yet, like a lemming to a clifftop, I am returning in 2005.

I will try and join Blisters in the delivery of constructive criticism only. To his remarks I would also add....

Race Start. The delay to the start in '04 was a debacle. My advice would be:-
    1. Set yourself a go/no go time (say half an hour before the planned start time) after which the race cannot be delayed. Preferably, make this time such that the majority of runners have not started final prep and have discarded all excess clothing.
    2. Ensure any delay is properly communicated. The GWR roadshow were sending people up to the start-line for the original start-time long after the decision to delay had been made.
    3. Consider 'holding pens' on the Rec until 5-10 minutes before the race start.... Gt Pultney St, was carnage, and will be even worse with an additional 2,500 bodies. No-one can run until they are at or near the start line, so it would be much better to gather everyone in a place where there is adequate space and people can get to their appropriate starting zone with relative ease.
  • Options
    I'm hoping to do this race, as my boyfriend and his friend have alerady agreed to and I don't wnat to miss out.

I ahve to say, I'm feeling rather apprehensive after seeing everyone's comments though. And £20 does seem a lot of money - we did the Swansea Bay 10k the weekend before last which was only a tenner and was impeccably organised.

Shall have to see if I manage to get entered when the site opens for first timers tomorrow....
  • Options
    Race Director - good to have you on board. Best of luck with the 2005 race

One Q though :

"As far as timing is concerned, the race number RFID chip is a proven technology and has significant benefits over the Championship lace chip"

Could you say a bit more about these benefits ? Some may need convincing after the probs last year. What did'nt they work in 2004 ?

(sorry - that's 2 questions !)
  • Options
    Race No. added!

Birdy Pie
    Blond Dog
    Mr J (first half)
    Rocks 2093 (1:25)
    Spans
    Toucan
    Wrinty
    Zzz (first half)
  • Options
    Race No. added!

Birdy Pie
    Blond Dog
    Mr J (first half)
    Spans
    Toucan
    Wrinty
    Zzz 2020 (first half)
  • Options
    I would agree with Helen on how well Swansea is organised. Maybe RD can get some advice from Swansea?!
  • Options
    WrintyWrinty ✭✭✭
    Added my time, assuming that I can get onto Great Pultney Street from the Rec in time for the starters gun:)

Birdy Pie
    Blond Dog
    Grubbysoles (2:05)
    Mr J (first half)
    Oft (89:59)
    Spans
    Toucan
    Wrinty (1:23)
    Zzz 2020 (first half)
  • Options
    I take it therefore you are after skinning me this year Wrinty? I didn't damage your ego did I?

Train well!
  • Options
    Birdy Pie
    Blisters (2107)(1:25)
    Blond Dog
    Mr J (first half)
    Spans
    Toucan
    Wrinty (669)(1:23)
    Zzz 2020 (first half)
  • Options
    Blisters that's a pretty quick target - Is that in the Mr Tickle outfit?

Anyway I'll see you all there now as with the same inevitability that a Robbie Williams song will always get to number one no matter how bad it is, I have now officially entered.
  • Options
    Birdy Pie
    Blisters (2107)(1:25)
    Blond Dog
    Head Gone (Hope to finish this year)(1540) 2:30
    Mr J (first half)