Options

Sussex Beacon Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Forgot to say my gps put distance at about 12.9, I say about, because I forgot to stop my watch when I crossed the finish line.
  • Options
    I couldn't get my txt message through to raceahead. However you can pick up your result (and anyones else's) free from www.raceahead.net, there's a simple online search facility. I clocked 1hr 30mins 30 secs, which is I guess a PB since it's my first 1/2M :-)

I really enjoyed the weather, a little chilly first thing, but I love running in bright sunshine & I love Brighton. I thought the race was well organised apart from the missing mile markers in the latter parts of the race. As always I wish they did mugs rather than medals.

I've not got a GPS gizmo - how accurate are they? I think they definitely messed up the distance markers between miles 5 & 6, was the overall course really ~0.2 miles short? Isn't it certified or something or doesn't it qualify?
  • Options
    Am I right in thinking that GPS systems are not very accurate when hills are involved?

I wasn't too bothered about my time on this one - I just wanted some company on my long run - but I did find it hard to pace without mile markers. I was also a little disappointed with the organisation at the end. All-in-all however, I had a great run.
  • Options
    Enjoyed it, but like what a few others have said, it was a bit "fresh", the slog of the last few miles back into the biting wind was hard, but made under my 1.45 target, on my watch as 1.43.58, very evenly paced all the way through. Only actually missed one marker, (the 4th i think) saw all the others, although some were blown against fences, or blown over, but managed to spot them...Roll on Tunbridge Wells next week, which will be hilly by the sounds of it...but thought Brighton was well organised, and a success...Well done to all those that completed.
  • Options
    Oh,. I dunno BevR, the organisation at the end was alright. Just chucked stuff at you and told you what top do, then directed you out the other side of the funnel. Same as any other run I've been on really.

Plus, I've also heard that about GPS pods. Messes witht the signals apparently.
  • Options
    The course was SE-AAA certified according to the bumpf the sent out with the numbers, and it was the same turnaround points as the last two years and no-one complained it was short then! The GPS may have struggled with the zig-zag down from the cliffs and the tunnel?

At least I am hoping it wasnt short as I knocked over 3 minutes off my PB to get 1-19.

Seemed very well organised to me. I missed the 3rd, 12th and 13th mile markers, although some had been blown round. The finish was good not having to worry about queuing.
  • Options
    trunround point at Rottingdean was new surely - used to be further down the hill towards the traffic lights..........but I have to say it was easier because of that not having to climb back up!!

and deffo did not like the stretch in front of the cafes on the seafront on the way out - too narrow, too twisty, too crowded, too many obstacles.......

and to the lady who ran into the bollard near the pier after the start - yep, the ones with the big warning tubes on them...........thanks for giving me a laugh! are you blind????

• Options
    Well done everyone! Pleased to hear there were loads of PB's set!

Personally, I was flying until I hit the 9 mile mark and started running on the grass and head wind. I just couldn't get any kind of rhyme! Despite feeling really strong at the end was 1 minute outside my PB and came in at 1h46m. A little gutted, but I fully intend to shatter my PB at the London Half in a few weeks time.

Parking was a nightmare too. Had to run well over a mile just to make the starting line!

Anyways, reasonably good event and a good warm up for the events coming up.
  • Options
    Oh dear was it really short? I was so pleased at coming in just over 2:30, it will be a bit of a blow if it wasn't the full distance. :-(

Overall I found this a good race as I finished quite strongly and was overtaking people from about 8 miles onwards. Found the bit down on the marina around 6 miles a bit confusing. I couldn't see any runners ahead of me so wasn't totally convinced I was still going the right way and there were just too many tourists. I suspect this was only a problem as I was right at the back so most people thought all the runners had gone through. Found it easier as we headed out over the cliffs as I could see runners to aim for again. Suffered as we turned round into the wind after 10 miles on the cliffs and found some of those uphills really difficult. Also thought that hill after the zig-zag downhill just too cruel. But the scenary was lovely, especially when the sun was shining, the marshalls were friendly and encouraging (cheers for the Starburst at mile 11!), and I beat Wonder Woman!!!

Really proud of myself for finishing this as I wrecked the back of my heel at 4 miles (wrong socks!) but carried on. Trainer looks a bit blood-stained now - yuk!

Hope everyone else had a good race :-)
  • Options
    Managed 1.43:37 so chuffed with that as I wanted to beat 1.45 and the 1.49 odd from last year.
    Wasn't to keen on the narrow bits just after the start though and the fact that on the prom, people were just wandering through the race field with their kids, dogs, bikes etc. However, 'enjoyed' it if that is the right word and the weather was better than last year..
  • Options
    It was supposed to be certified, but when the course was measured they refused actually to certify it.

The course was different this year - earlier turn before the White Horse at Rottingdean (as FB says), plus the zigzag.
  • Options
    ...and who put that rise in after the zig-zag??

that was most unwelcome at that stage of the race...........grrrr............
  • Options
    Sara - do you have some insider knowledge about the certification or actual measurement of the course?

• Options
    SmitchSmitch ✭✭✭
    I hope the course was accurate - I did a PB, really chuffed.

I saw you FB just ahead of me at the start but there were so many people there (and obviously you were so speedy) I couldn't say hello.
  • Options
    hi Smitchums - the only other forumites I met was Jose and Mrs Jose and another guy called Bruce?? who introduced himself to me at the start........looked out for others but didn't see anyone.......

good stuff with the PB - Petal got one as well..........keep fingers crossed the course was correct though!!
  • Options
    I take back my earlier post, the Southern AAA certificate was separate to distance measurement.

But I don't get it, if they measured the course and found it to be short, the organisers just needed to move the start line back a bit.
  • Options
    FB - The course had to go onto the lower prom by the shops due to road works above, dirty great hole!

Unfortunately wandering tourists are a part of Brighton, we could try shooting them next year I suppose. But that would mean carrying equipment whilst running! I marshalled this event one year and believe me those promanaders can be very abusive if they are asked to move over.

JN...I didn't have any problem with parking, parked on the lower prom about 1/2 mile from the start, just right for a warm up jog. Handy too as I left a gel on my wheel for later!
  • Options
    Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    Smitch, were you wearing a kind of woolly hat? I thought she was a familiar face.
  • Options
    Is it worth asking the organisers for some sort of statement on the distance issue? They could presumably confirm/deny?
  • Options
    Your right rawrunner gps would have lost a bit going up and down the cliffs and zig zag....never thought of that at the time. Mine read 12.9 so I rekon the couse was pretty close to, if not 13.1 miles.

Jelly babies rule!
  • Options
    Does it really matter if it is a bit short, plenty of races I have done in the past have been short or over especailly the off road ones.

Its different if it is a championship race of course or is advertised as accurate. Lets face it if Sara hadn't made the unconfirmed statement no one would have taken any notice.

• Options
    dips - thanks for the heads up about the roadworks on the prom - wasn't aware of that...........

and those pesky tourists/locals crossing your path are a pain but you get used to that if you do Brighton events!!

was approaching the Hove lagoon yesterday and some mum crossed in front of us runners with 2 kids in tow plus them with bikes........mum crossed OK but the kids naturally were slower and dragging bikes......we all had to do a sudden screech to a halt and the language was rather florid to say the least..........
  • Options
    Hummm I nearly had a run in with a dog on one of those extending leads, the owner had it on free range! I don't think those pesky promanaders realise what mayhem they can cause. Its a shame they could not ban them for the morning!

Rumour has it that next year SB would like the course to go around the Town more, which would include road closures. Might be interesting!
  • Options
    might be impossible!
  • Options
    Nothing is impossible FB!!!
  • Options
    SmitchSmitch ✭✭✭
    Jose - no that wasn't me, I was wearing a cap rather than a wooly hat.

• Options
    I was pleased to run a PB especially after panicking when I realised I'd left my carbo gel and jelly babies in my bag ! I was also happy to have paper cups at the first water station - much easier to drink from than plastic ones. The only other half I've done is Barns Green, which I would say is slightly better organised and better supported, although that may have had something to do with the weather ! The wind was freezing at the top of the cliffs, but I think we should be grateful for the bit of shelter we got on the lower promenade on the way to Hove. Excellent marshalling, shame the bloke on the microphone at the finish couldn't generate a bit more excitement ! (or am I being a bit harsh ?!)
  • Options
    No Matty...he sounded bored!
  • Options
    has anyone checked the photo people yet-I keep getting a strange domain not recognised when I type in www.sportscam.net. have I got the right URL?
  • Options
    Photos will by up on Wednesday. Think you might find you have an extra S in there though! www.sportcam.net

There is a link to them on the Sussex Beacon site if you continue to have problems.