Options

Sussex Beacon Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    You all have a month to get in a few hill reps!!

I promise it is not a hill, its a slope leading up from the seafront prom bit to the top road. You get to run back down it about a mile from the end too.
  • Options
    Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    thanks, I feel better now o)

my hill reps sessions will start tonite, just in case

• Options
    May even include that bit in a run, just so its familiar. I dont like surprises!
    How far is it from Hove Lagoon?
  • Options
    9 miles to the slope (there and back that is N) Mere stroll in the park for you!

Or you can join the marathon training group on Sunday, we start at the Marina ;-)
  • Options
    May join the group at some point, but going away on a course with work for a week,leaving on Sunday. Saying I was going out for a long run on Sunday may be a little........er.........insensitive?
    See you out there
  • Options
    Will see what the weather's like tomorrow, and do that run with CC, rather than the one we've planned. Fluidity is the key!
  • Options
    Better get my entry in for this - left it a bit late haven't I! whoops!!
  • Options
    Considering the hits on this thread are nearing 100, and it was you who started it,DG, yes you better HAD get the form in! Are you on the mend? See you on the ...................other side!!!!!
  • Options
    Normski- deffinetly on the mend - put in a good weeks running and having a well earned rest tonight - I' guess i've run a fair fewv miles since barns green - so will be intresting to see what kind of time I can do this one in. Are you planning on running this at race pace or more of a training run?
    Dips take it the hill you're talking about is from end of madeira drive area up to above the marina?
  • Options
    yes DG thats the one, no hill really is it?
  • Options
    Might try and practice this one sometime during the week.I take it there is a map somewhere on their web site? Or does it come with my number?
  • Options
    DG - CC and I discussed the possibility of runninng out to the 'hill',doing a few reps up it, then running back. Im away all this coming week but would bw well up for it after nxt weekend.
  • Options
    N, CC and DG. If you can run up Mill Hill, this one is like a skip in the park, I promise! Think about the gradient of maybe Buckingham Park and take half of the distance. I promise you it is nothing, but good for a few reps.

I'll drive you all along one day if you want.
  • Options
    Dips - you're right it's not that bad at all - I've run up it several times on my runs to Rottingdean and the hills we cover on our mill hill run are probably 3 times worse at an estimate - walk in the park !
    But anyone wants to meet upa nd run some of the course - I would be more than happy to join in.

What kind of times are people looking to complete this in ?

• Options
    I'm not sure if I am doing it as training run or at race pace. If race pace then I would like to aim for a sub 2hr, but not your sub time though DG!!
  • Options
    Aiming for 'sub-2hrs'. Added incentive (?) of family being at the finish! Will liase with you guys about doing a few reps once back from the big city!
  • Options
    Not sure wether to run this one at race pace or not - doing blackmore vale half on the 6th of Feb- two weeks b4 this and then Hastings hopefully in March - I don't think it would be wise to race all 3 I suppose - but as other two are hilly from what I've heard - maybe I should dedicate my best effort to this one - any words of wisdom - anyone ?
  • Options
    Diana, if you're going to race any of them, I'd make it this one. Not sure what the profile is of Blackmore Vale, but I know from experience that the first 6 miles in Hastings are practically all uphill, and that's virtually from the start.
  • Options
    Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    I think Blackmore Vale is undulating and not very fast, I'm running it but more as a long run than as a race.

I think Brighton is as fast as you can get 1/2 marathonwise, and not as crowded as Reading.
  • Options
    Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    I forgot, I'm aiming for 1.45 in Brighton.
  • Options
    Diana, I was in the same dilemma, doing Brighton and Hastings 1/2s. I have decided to go for this one. The Brighton 10k is always brill for my PBs so might as well try to continue.

Good luck Jose, I am hoping for a sub 2hr...its going to depend on the weather though!!! Please no wind/rain.
  • Options
    Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    wind can be even worse than rain
  • Options
    Do you think it's too much to hope for a nice breeze at your back - butin both directions!

Thanks for all the advice guys - seems like this is the right one to run at race pace then - sub 1.45 wouls be great - see how confident I feel after balckmore vale and a few more speed sessions - groan!

Dips - how did those new shoes perform at the track last night?

• Options
    So fot this one its - (please- add /amend )

Dips - sub 2.00
    Normski - sub 2.00
    Jose - Sub 1.45
    DG- sub 1.45 ( Please note being ridiculously ambitious here- have now emtered the realms of fantasy)
  • Options
    If we are ordering the list by times

Josie Jump 11 min mileing all the way
    Dips - sub 2.00
    Normski - sub 2.00
    Jose - Sub 1.45
    DG- sub 1.45 ( Please note being ridiculously ambitious here- have now emtered the realms of fantasy)

• Options
    slowly worm-just to get round before everyone else goes home...
    Dips - sub 2.00
    Normski - sub 2.00
    Jose - Sub 1.45
  • Options
    Dips - sub 2.00
    Normski - sub 2.00
    Stevie C - Sub 1.50
    Jose - Sub 1.45
  • Options
    Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    did a half on sunday on 1.54, therefore, i have to adjust my target in Brighton

Dips - sub 2.00
    Normski - sub 2.00
    Stevie C - Sub 1.50
    Jose - Sub 1.50
  • Options
    Sorry the race didn't go to plan, Jose. I'm sure you'll have a much better run at this one.

Managed to crash through the 70 minute barrier in a 10 mile race at the weekend (69:56) so quietly confident...;-)

Dips - sub 2.00
    Normski - sub 2.00
    Stevie C - Sub 1.50
    Jose - Sub 1.50
    SusieBee - 1:32