Options

Halstead Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Neil, are you able to get to a train station early on the Sunday?

NN
  • Options
    NN,

As far as I can work out, if I get the first train from here to London on the Sunday morning, get from London Bridge to Liverpool Street inside 30 minutes (taxi), and get onto the 8.32 to Braintree, I would arrive at Braintree at 9.37. That's cutting it too fine for my liking. Hence the drive option. My wife would be happy to drive me, but we'd need to find someone to take our sprogs for the day (8 months, 2 and 5), which is the tricky bit. However, I'm working on it!

Neil

• Options
    does it really take that long to get from Liverpool Street to Braintree on a sunday, usually its less than 1 hour to marks tey, which is only about 10 miles from Halstead.

damned public transport!

NN
  • Options
    Neil,

Transfer time form London Bridge to Liverpool Street should only be about 10 minutes (I can walk between the two in under half an hour). As to the sprogs you could run with the 8 month old strapped to your back which would just leave the wife looking after the other two!!

Oh and if I actually make it to the start i think I will remain positive about the run even at mile 21!! I have this strange habit of not being too keen at the start but once I get going I tend to get on with it!!

Stu
  • Options
    Neil my note should have read taxi transfer time should only be about 10 minutes
  • Options
    NN & Neil,

Brit. Rail is a bit tricky on Sunday morning they have a habit of doing works and putting buses on on Sunday.

The line from Witham to Braintree is one track, slow and very scenic and they are relaying this also a bit at a time.

After the Tunnel the M25 and A12 are usually quick on Sunday morning. The A12 is all dual carriageway. It is a bit slow across from the A12. On Sunday morning the quickest is A414 through Chelmsford A131 to Braintree (Good new road) Braintree byepass then A131 to Halstead. In Halstead it is straight through the town taking the road out to Sudbury. Colne Road is on the right.
    By then you will be picking up our signs.

M
  • Options
    NN,
    Off on holiday now until 10th. My daughter Juliet (Webmaster to our site www.halsteadmarathon.co.) will be picking up my email and forum threads and taking any action.

If anyone is looking for information about last minute entries Andy Wilmot 01787 475 780 deals with them. We stop taking internet entries though runners World on Sunday 11th.

I will look forward when I get back to see how everyone's training (and beer drinking) has gone. Have I mentioned that for post race celebration The Dog, Hedingham Rd. Halstead always has 4 local real ales on, we hold all our committee meetings there.

Good Running,

Maurice
  • Options
    Smart and a free pint for anyone that ran it too??????

hehehehehehe.

Thanks for your help to date Maurice.

Re, your earlier posting, I am so glad that I only have to come from Sudbury, nice and easy to get there :)

Look forward to saying 'Hi' to Juliet over the next couple of weeks then.

Have a good holiday,

NN
  • Options
    Maurice,

Will be happy to keep everyone informed of my drinking exploits but should really be concentrating on the running I suppose. Should still hopefully manage my sub 3.30 time!

As to the beers at the Dog, NN as you will be finishing first suggest you get the round in, my preference is a pint of Guinness but not sure if a country pub will stock that, might have to make do with the ale!!

Stu
  • Options
    Stu, I only live 8 miles down the road from Halstead (at sudbury), and my local sells Guinness, they have to cos its all I drink, and if they didnt then they would not be my local!

So hopefully we should be ok :)

Not sure what my troupe of supporters are planning afterwards though drinking wise? I think there are 3 or 4 forumites coming to cheer me on, you can meet them before the race.

NN
  • Options
    NN

Could be quite a crowd then as I should have about 5 or 6 supporters myself. Have a horrible feeling they will probably all pile into the pub and forget about cheering us on though!!!

Anyway, talking about pubs, am just nipping out for a couple of pints now. Next week will be pretty teetotal and definitely no drinking the week after in preparation.

Stu
  • Options
    Stu, from what I remember there are a couple of small village pubs on the way around, now that doesnt mean that we can pop in (hehehehe) but they could certainly cheer us on from there!

NN
  • Options
    Hey NN if I'm not allowed a drink don't think our supporters should either!!

Well back in training again. Did a quick 3 miler first thing this morning and have just got back from an 8 mile run. Bit warm for it but there is a nice sea breeze in Southend (NN, please note I mean breeze and not the force 10 gale we experienced last sunday on Canvey!!).

Now I have doen the training off out to enjoy the sunshine!!

Stu
  • Options
    Hi Stu,

Did Beckland 10km yesterday, and Felixstowe 5 today, so feeling quite tired now, no time for anymore long runs for me, maybe the Friday before though, I do have a 20 miler pencilled in for that evening, will see how it goes!

NN
  • Options
    Hi NN,

You're obviously a lot more dedicated to racing than me! Well managed another 13 miles today. Intned to put in a run every night this week, varying from 5-10 miles.

How did you get on with Breckland and Felixstowe??

Stu
  • Options
    Hi Stu,

I love racing but find the training a bit boring, so usually find someone else to go out with rather than venture out on my own.

The races went ok, Breckland was 38:02, and Felixstowe was 30:50, which I was well chuffed with, its one of those courses that you just couldnt get a PB on ever, so to get within 36 seconds was very pleasing.

Aching a bit tonight though, so will probably rest now until the weekend, got a training run Saturday, then Woddbridge 10km on Sunday.

Excellent, another 13 miles in the bag for you, only 12 days to go, scary eh!

NN
  • Options
    Hi NN and Stu

Sounds like you've both been doing a lot of running. I've just returned from a weekend of no running but plenty of booze, but managed to do a 2 hr run this morning and am suffering withdrawal symptoms (from booze - not the running!).

Hope you've both recovered from your various aches and pains. Nearly died a death during my run this morning - my friend and I ran into what can only be described as a large cobweb full of miniture catapillars, which showered onto us. There was plently of leaping around (does that count as training?) as we tried to divest ourselves of creatures. Not entirely successful, as I found a couple in the sink after washing my hair - ugh!!!!! There's a lot to be said for road running!

Happy training/racing.

Jo :)
  • Options
    By the way, has anyone run the Luton marathon? Have heard it's hilly - how hilly is hilly?

Jo
  • Options
    Jo,

Ergh! thats horrid, yes I think you can count jumping around as training too :)

I am aching like hell at the moment, maybe will be feeling better in a couple of days.

Are you ready for the race then?

No, havent done Luton, dont know anyone else that has either, sorry.

NN
  • Options
    NN

Would recommend LUSH soap for aching muscles for your legs. Friends of mine used it after the London and swear by it.

Am as ready for the race as I ever will be and am looking forward to the challenge. How about you? How's the calf - is that part of the hellish aching?

Jo
  • Options
    Jo,

No calf is not aching at all, so I am not too concerned. I think its just the two races in the last two days and that I put in a sprint finish today, i am sure all will be fine come wednesday, thanx.

I cant wait, have an hour long massage booked for this saturday, and then another for the day after Halstead, so trying to look after my legs too.

NN
  • Options
    NN - or should I call you Lovely Legs - you certainly know how to live the high life! A massage is a great idea - think I'll book one too for the day after the marathon - the thought of that will certainly keep me going on the big day.

Have you got any other marathons planned for this year, or is this your one and only?

Jo
  • Options
    Hi Jo, Lovely Legs....you havent seen them yet, I think you may well change your mind, lol! I consider a massage to be part of my preparation and warm down too, would run the race without them :)

I am also running Battersea 21st Sept, then Abingdon 19 Oct, and Dublin 27 Oct.

The Abingdon run is a training run for Dublin though, I am pacing a group of Forumites (people from these forums) around at sub 4 hour pace.

I actually much prefer the shorter distance races, but just like to dabble now and then in these longer ones!

NN
  • Options
    HI NN and Jo,

Glad I had finished my breakfast before I read the latest notes. The thought of all those caterpillars and NN being described as Lovely Legs - very stomach churning!!!

Well am ready as I think I can be for the 18th but will continue to train this week in earnest. NN, agree I prefer the shorter runs too, only doing this marathon as my friend did London and we have a bit of freindly competition.

As to the massages, you obvioulsy both have more time on your hands than me?? I will be working as usual in the City on Monday, and even have beers arranged for the Monday night aswell!!! Luckily my office is not too far from Fenchurch Street so it shouldn't take me too long to crawl it!!

Stu
  • Options
    Stu,

Good luck for going to work the day after running a marathon, you are a braver man than me!

NN
  • Options
    NN,

Don't really have a choice. With my intended departure to sunnier climes can't really afford to take the time off!

Stu
  • Options
    Stu,

What, and you wouldnt rather have the Monday off instead of moving away?

What are you like :)

NN
  • Options
    NN,

Just want to make sure all is in order at work before I leave - don't want them all talking behind my back. Anyway you can see how conscientious I am - I'm writing this from my office PC!!

Stu
  • Options
    NN,

Your not running the Frinton and Walton 1/2M on Sunday are you??? Just seen it on events but no details on where it starts. Was thinking of turning up on the day.

Stu
  • Options
    Stu,

No sorry mate, doing the Woodbridge 10km that day.

If I find any details I will let you know.

NN