Options

Halstead Marathon

Comments

• Options
    PB, best to email Maurice, you will find him at the earlier part of the thread, as he is one of the Race Organisers, and so can advise on Halstead more than I can. NN
  • Options
    Hi PB.

Just seen your message. The family is very welcome. Following a successful experiment last year the Town Council are putting on a family 5K (approx) fun run starting half an hour after the marathon some of the participants will just be families walking round. They are also talking about making it a bit of a family event with bouncy castle etc. The profits will mostly go to the Air Ambulance which was proposing to fly in to the playing field subject to the Schools agreement and no-one killing themselves on the M11 at the same time. Within 5 miles we have also such things as a Norman Castle, Steam Railway and Lake all open. Afterwards there is The Mullbery Tree on the Braintree Byepass with a Wacky Wharehouse for the kids and a Brewsters Restaurant if it is wet. If you like some decent local beer (Greene King & Ridleys) and it is dry you are better off going to one of the local pubs with gardens and children's play areas.

I could have just said email Kerry Cooper on halsteadtown@btconnect.com who is organising it all but then I would not have got this advertising bit in and she would not have told you about our local breweries.

NN

Would you like us to stick up a notice on the grass outside saying Natty Noodle's Meeting Point?

M.
  • Options
    Maurice, lol, if you could do that it would be excellent, or just "URWFRC Meeting Point" would be great as an alternative (that would be better acyually), looks like there may well be a few of us now.

NN

• Options
    I guess this may be a bit far for you then?

NN
  • Options
    haha, yes it certainly is PB :)

NN
  • Options
    NN

how did you do on Canvey? My time was about 34 minutes.

Stu
  • Options
    Oh and my training schedule is up the swanny this week. Have realised I have committed myself to 3 nights of drinking (wednesday to Friday) for various work do's!!
  • Options
    Hi Stu,

Just got a PB in 30:14, wasnt that wind bad along the sea wall section, I lost quite a bit of time there.

Well done, how does your time compare to normal?

Lol, no drinking for me until after Halstead!

NN
  • Options
    Hi NN,

Congrats on the time.

My time was a minute or two adrift of what i would have hoped for but that wind (i would suggest a gale!!) was tough going.

I shall be taking it easy on the drinking front, but I'm more concerned about the fact I won't be training - but then again I have put in a fair bit over the past few weeks.

We'll have to wait and see what happens on the day - hopefully there will be no wind!!

Stu
  • Options
    NN,

Forgot to say is there a website for Canvey 5 to get my official race time?? I didn't think they were mailing out results.

Stu
  • Options
    Hi Stu,

I could imagine that a lot of people were well down on times, I am flying at the moment so that must have helped me get a PB, wonder what I would have got if it had not been windy.....

The results will not be on the web anywhere apparently, however they did have a box for results to be sent out, and I put an envelope in for them, and so can let you know (or have a copy) when it turns up.

There is not much more training now that we can do for Halstead anyway, so should bother about missing any too much.

NN
  • Options
    Hi NN

Doing a couple of short runs today and tomorrow, might try and get a longer one in over the weekend if I can and then just short ones next week - nothing too strenuous

Stu
  • Options
    NN

Oh and if you can let me know my official time for canvey (number 69) would appreciate it. Whilst I'm asking for favours can you let me know the time for number 68 aswell (my friend).

Thanks

Stu
  • Options
    Hi Stu,

Yes of course, as soon as I get the results I shall let you know.

NN
  • Options
    Hi NN,

Cheers, much appreciated.

Well I have a splitting headache so will not be training tonight now. Going home to put my feet up!

Stu
  • Options
    ok, off to do my track session soon!

NN
  • Options
    Hi NN, how's the training going? I just came back from a run with some pals in Hainault Forest, which was lovely. I was assured by one who says she knows, that one of the hills we ran was worse than the worst hill at Halstead. Very reassuring - if she's right!

Stu - it's all gone quiet from your end - are you hung over from all your worky booze ups?

Jo
  • Options
    Hi Jo,

Seriously the hills at Halstead are not as bad as some will make out.

I do not have any more training to do for this race, I prepared a while ago, now just got loads of short races in the next couple of weeks, starting with 2 this weekend.

Only two weeks to go, are you feeling ready now?

NN

PS. Stu, still no Canvey results yet.
  • Options
    Maurice posted a while back to say they will put a sign out on the grass saying URWFRC Meeting point (that's us), so should be easy to all meet up beforehand.

NN
  • Options
    Hi NN

Hope you enjoy your short races. I've still got a bit of training to do in order to get back to where I was before the 'flu stopped me running the London. Hope to do 15m at the weekend, then a couple of 6s during the week, then perhaps 6-8 the Sunday before, then hopefully I'll be ready.

Saw Maurice's posing re the meeting point - and am looking forward to meeting up before hand.

Jo

• Options
    Excellent, keep it up Jo, and keep us posted on your progress.

NN
  • Options
    Hi Jo & NN,

Just to let you know I am still alive, just!! My resolve not to drink too much on Wednesday didn't last and it turned into a late one. COnsequently I cried off from the drinks last night. Feeling guilty at the moment as have not trained at all this week. Intend to put in a couple of long runs over the weekend and then shorter for the rest of the week.

I'm going through a 'do i really want to do a marathon' phase at the moment but am sure I will snap out of it by the 18th!!

Stu
  • Options
    lol, I guess you will snap out of it about 9.59am on the 18th :)

NN
  • Options
    Stu - but you may well snap back into it around mile 21!

I'm still up for this, although I'm worried about what I suspect may be ITBS in my right knee. The same thing in the left cost me my FLM 2002 place, and I'm determined not to let it get me twice. So that means no training for me at all at the moment and lots of ibuprofen.

Also a bit worried about how I'm actually going to get to Halstead and whether to drive from Tunbridge Wells. But that's on a different thread.

Neil