Options

Kent Coastal Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Just a thought here but what Happened at the Tunbridge Half which was also cancelled due to blizzards and snow storms. Did they give a refund or anything?
  • Options
    Snoop DoggSnoop Dogg ✭✭✭
    There's complimentary entry to certain future events arranged by the TW 1/2 organisers Ashley, but that's nothing to do with Thanet Road Runners and this race.
  • Options
    Ashley- I think Scotty got something in the mail about that very recently, can't remember the details.

[Stuck at Gatwick cos' Mum's plane is delayed by 2 hours :(
  • Options

hope you're not still there moomoo?

just entered this online . . never been to Margate so it'll be a nice weekend out . . guess I need to find somewhere to stay next don't I . .
  • Options
    Cool, Rich - does that mean we get loads of photos??
  • Options

it's quite likely yep, so long as you stand still for long enough, Pantman :)
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Damn. And I thought that I would be safe at this one....
  • Options
    Hi Ashley - at Tun Wells we've been promised free entry to next year's race on production of the 2005 race number... but guess who binned his the day before this was announced!
  • Options
    Just a thought regards Tunbridge. I didn't enter either race so it doesn't effect me.

Rich give us a budget and what style you want.

There is DSSIllegal Immigrant but they tend to be very booked up at this time of year!

The travel lodge by Margate Station is a safe bet but boring!

If you want something that's good quality traditional English B&B then perhaps Broadstairs is a better option, big selection of restaurants and pubs with great ice creams from Morelli
  • Options
    Quite keen to do this one (very very gently) before the full-frontal all-out attack on sub-4 hours at Abingdon a few weeks later. It'll give Rich a chance to rehearse his jokes again if nothing else...

What's the situation like for camping near the start - just me and my little Johnny-no-mates one-man tent?
  • Options
    There is no real safe place for 'wild' camping near the start (within a mile or two anyway). Nearest camp site is about 4-5 miles away.

• Options
    Thanks David. 4-5 miles away would be fine. Better than driving down from North London on the morning, anyway.

• Options

Hi Ashley . . I reckon traditional English B & B is wasted as I can't have a full English on race morning . . so I tend to veer towards Travellodges and the like . .

no budget . . just aim to spend as little as possible without going to the extremes that Ronnie appears to want to go to . .

thanks for the thought :) . . I'll do some googlin' and surfin' and see what I can come up with . .
  • Options
    Not "wants", Rich... "needs"!
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    I'll be looking for accom as well on the Sat night so if someone finds a cheap deal please let me know. We saw some fairly cheap B & Bs when we were looking at staying over the night before the Thanet 20 but no idea on names now.
  • Options
    What about the beach?

Or how about the benches on route. I often see people asleep on the benches along the cliff top of in Clivtonville, or Ramsgate (start and turnaround points). Not sure they are totally safe, but at least they come with lavs (nearest lampost). Most are sheltered and they are very very cheap. I think they are on a first come first served basis though and do seem very very popular especially with drinkers of Tenants Extra Strong as they all seem to come supplied with a can.
  • Options
    Wibbley - come on Team 10!!!!

If you flick back a page or so you will see that Pantman recomended running at approx 75-80% of race speed to get maximum effect.

Good luck and a chance for us to both be the same side of the fence this time round!!!
  • Options
    Thanks Ashley.

The problem with me running at 80-90% of race speed is that I'm still likely to be going round the course the following few days like that fellow in the diving suit.

It sounds a tempting idea though - essentially turning it into a (very) long Sunday run with the added benefits of the rum 'n' raisin ice cream and your hosepipe-happy family. And my little boy gets another medal for his collection.

Or am I duty bound to take it more seriously and go flat out?
  • Options
    In 2003 I did this one and Abingdon.

My aim was to go flat out on this one but if at any point I fell behind target to take the rest of the course very easy so as to treat it as a training run rather than PB attempt, and then to treat Abingdon as my PB course.

What actually happened is that I went down with my coach the day before and we went onto the beach for an hours sprinting the night before. This was followed by a large pasta meal and a very runny nose, a few large whisky mixed with lemsip and an early night... which resulted in me being woken up by my mum (we stayed at my mum and dads place in Broadstairs) returning from a night out and deciding to come into my room for a midnight chat and to wish me well for the following day (thanks mum!).

The following morning I met with Scotty who had agreed to pace me for a sub 4 and we hit the halfway point bang on target at 1:55, problem was I was starting to feel a little tired so I decided that this was not to be my PB course and took the rest of the race easy... including stopping for a chat with my parents and a couple of old ladies who were sitting in thier beach hut with sweets for the runners at mile 22 (not just London you see!!!).

I finished in 4:15 and then suffered a minor (at the time major concern) attack of hypoventilation which I think was basically the result of the flu coming through.

At Abingdon well that was another story, I again went with my coach who proceeded to get blind drunk and spent the whole night throwing up in the loo and sleeping on the loo floor. I was nervous as it was but the total lack of sleep finished me off. I effectively gave up in Abingdon at mile 14 and pretty much walked most of it finishing in sometime around 4:45... Which means that Kent Coastal is currently my PB course!

This year I will make another attempt at that magical sub 4, who knows maybe I will make it maybe I won't. I will however be treating my Kenyan marathon as a very long training run and when I am in Thanet in the first week of August will run the course again at a slow pace but comfortable to see how I do. If Pantman is right then the August run may well be the real decider for me and probably the best run for that PB....

If not, well there are some nice old ladies at a Beach Hut at mile 22 who will be only too happy for a runner to stop and have a chat with!
  • Options
    Right, that's me in. It was report of the nice old ladies at mile 22 that finally convinced me.

By the way, Ashley, are you still with that coach? He sounds like he has some interesting ideas about motivation.
  • Options
    No.

He was the boyfriend of a very close family friend. Unfortunatly things went a little sour (major understatement - police, womens refuge etc!).

No idea where he is now, last I heard he was awaiting trial sentancing pending a psychiatric assessment, I think he basically was on the verge of having some form of breakdown - the above was the start of it - Hmmm, maybe my failure to get the sub four resulted in his mental downward spiral etc...
  • Options
    Ashley,

I'd rather you blamed yourself than the course at the Kent Coastal :-/.

Back on track, I've just ordered a moderately warm, but slightly overcast day with no rain for the Marathon, if that helps anyone make their decision. Not so warm that you sweat a lot mind :-)

Regards

djb
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    A couple of light showers wouldn't go amiss. And a gentle cross breeze at around 16m followed by a tail wind from 20m onwards.

Am I being too fussy? Shall I put this on my form or is an online request enough?
  • Options
    SmitchSmitch ✭✭✭
    Well, I seem to be official marathon 'tart' at the moment, posting on every thread....however, this sounds interesting....

Gavo - you're fussy?! Really??!! Well I never......
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Smitch a tart? To use her phrase, well I never....
  • Options
    Smitch - where on earth have you been??? You ol' tart! ;-)
  • Options
    Gavo

There is an online request form for weather for the events... On the roadrunners web site.

djb
  • Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Do affiliated runners get priority in choice? And can we make it rain fairly heavily just as Smitch is finishing?