Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options
    bha bob,
    i think nearer race day if you contact "travelline" they will tell you of any road closures..
  • Options
    debbo- well im doing lassade 10,dunbar 10k,gt caledonian 10k,lochaber marathon,edinburgh marathon,dunfermline 1/2,auld toon 10k,the list goes on and on...
  • Options
    katypie,
    well ive ran london 3 times,and edinburgh under its different courses 7 times..
    london is flatter but harder to get going due to the sheer numbers of people,and edinburgh..well..until this year it was hilly...
    so on paper edinburgh with a smaller field and a flatter course should be easier...HOWEVER....
    in 2004- i ran london in 3-33,and edinburgh in 3-39...work that one out.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Billyb - I'll see you somewhere then - I'm doing Lochaber, great caledonian (if I've recovered from Lochaber!) and Dunfermiline too.
  • Options
    debbo,yeh sure..
    i see great caledonian is back in edinburgh again..i used to like going up to balmoral for that one
  • Options
    small world bha bob - im from littlehampton originally... fife now. Makes getting to edinburgh easy tho
  • Options
    yes debbo and billyb - got some info thru about the tartan 10k at balmoral, so I will be running that, dont think i will be doing the caledonian run in edinburgh tho.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Loaded - I think I'll do the tartan 10k at balmoral too - if my legs can move that soon after Lochaber!
  • Options
    Hello all

Thanks for your thoughts and advice! I'll definitely be running races in March, not sure what though. Only plan for the mo is the Hare and Hounds 10M. Training seems to be coming together so far. Cannot wait for the lighter nights and my extremities to stop freezing LOL.

• Options
    bha bob - the local press print road closures in Scotsman and Evening news, pretty sure this is available on web too if you aren't local.
  • Options
    well im not doing the tartan 10k,as you have to wear a kilt or something..
    i totally refuse to dress like a woman..im no cross dresser...leave that to mel gibson
  • Options

You sound like a good bunch of folk. Edinburgh will be my first marathon (after rejection for London) but I'm really looking forward to it. Never taken part in a serious race at all. All I've done is run pushing a wheelchair user in the Sutton Fun Run (8.5 miles). Mind you, that's bloody hard work! As I've been running for a few years now I'll be following the Runners World 16-week schedule. Looks fun!

I'm doing the Stamford Valentine 30K in Feb and I'm looking for good preparation races in the Midlands for March and April. See you all in June.

Look forward to
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Billy - do you really have to wear a kilt? surely a bit of tartan ribbon would do??

Tony - welcome - Edinburgh was my first marathon last year - I enjoyed it despite walking the last 5 miles!! I hope to be better prepared this year.
  • Options
    I think you only have to wear a kilt if you're after the world record for "doing a 10K in a kilt". I'd love to see them try to enforce a kilts-only policy. Be a bit surreal if nothing else.
  • Options
    kilts are for the front of porridge oats packets ..
    leave the running of races to people in the usual attire..
  • Options
    I'm sensing some repressed emotions here billyb, maybe you're just fighting the strong urges to give cross-dressing (or just kilt wearing) a try?
  • Options
    were moving off the main point here...and that is that the pb will fall in 2005
  • Options
    What happened to just enjoying the experience? :O)
  • Options
    Billyb - we should get together. I did Edinburgh the last two years, 3:39 then 3:33. Doing London this year so if your theory is right then I should PB, I hope so.
  • Options
    Its not all about PBs though. Or dressing up in women's clothes. Which reminds me of the lumberjack song for some strange reason.
  • Options
    Hello everyone!

I already recognise some familiar names from last years event even if I never did meet any of you.

Last year I was new to this and I did the relay - my racing debut.

This year after a year of running I've progressed to the point............

that I'm entering the relay again!

I've not yet raced over halfmarathon distance yet - I did think a while ago that I might manage the marathon but I've got a very very hectic few months ahead of me (major life changes) so my marathon dream is postponed for now.

Btw Tortoise - I ran the first leg of the relay last year and I STILL felt like a fraud because I was running alongside some serious talent who were going to maintain that sort of pace for 26 miles whereas I was only running the first 6 miles! Plus I looked like a clown by comparison! :)

billyb - I remember your pb quest from last year, I hope it works out this time!
  • Options
    julz- yeh will be going for it again..this time i will listen to my head rather than my legs..
    last year i was flying and was 15 mins ahead of schedule at 1/2 way...
    it wasnt until mile 22 that i started to slow a bit,before being stretched out on the pavement with 2 mile to go..
    the marathon needs 100% dedication and trying to fit the training into an already hectic schedule must be difficult....
    any half-fit person can have strong enough legs to carry them the 26.2 miles,but you also have to have enormous mental strength.
  • Options
    Just entered Edinburgh myself for the first time. Running Paris on the 10th April so at least I've got an extra week's recovery over those folk running FLM.

My aim is to push the training hard for Paris, looking for a PB, then taking a week off - 10 days off, 5 1/2 - 6 weeks training then 2 week taper. I might just take it easy in Edinburgh and try and enjoy the run and the sights. Also doing Berlin in September which should be another chance for a fast run.

Where's the best place to go for post run beers? Grass market? Any thoughts on the best bars down there?
  • Options
    pseudo-
    i dont drink myself but the grassmarket seems to be a lively place
  • Options
    Anyone else running for charity? i'll let you guess which one i am running for!
  • Options
    wondering whether to do this or blackpool?
  • Options
    aaah well Edinburgh doesn't have the illuminations. But its far nicer!
  • Options
    Hello everyone,

Edinburgh will be my first ever marathon, so on the bright side I will have a PB (on the condition that I finish that is!)

Couple of friends who've done a few have told me to avoid it like the plague due to the hills, but they appear to have addressed that somewhat for this year.

The notion that the offical web-site calls it 'challenging' puts me in mind of the travle agents brochure stating that you're hotel is only a short walk from the beach.

I believe that one of the main reasons that they have changed it is that last year they didn't attract one runner from the worlds top 100 - hence the reason why they approached me!!! :-) They have also upped the money considerably for the elite athletes as well. Edinburgh are determined to make this a huge global event as you know how much it relies on tourists.

So any advice on offer for how to survive will be greatly received.

PS. Someone asked about what pubs to drink in - well the Grassmarket will be mobbed, so you're probably better heading for somewhere quieter north of Princes Street.

Enjoy.
  • Options
    stalkerman,having done over 20 marathons,i can say to you,as a debutant..
    as long as you stand on the start line,happy that you've done the training for it,then hopefully all will go well...if not then good luck...
    remember its no good having your legs in gear,if your brain is not...
    get your head around the fact that youve 26.2 miles to run and you'll be fine..
  • Options

Stalkerman, as I've said it's my first as well. I'm sure billyb and others on here are dead right. We have to get our head sorted to succeed. I'm really enjoying my running and I'm looking forward to Edinburgh. I need to make sure I feel the same on the day! As for 'challenging', can 26.2 miles be anything else? If we enjoy it, we'll be fine. After all, time flies when you're having fun!

The idea of a drink after sounds great. Any ideas for a particular pub? But how the hell will any of us know each other? Perhaps we all need an 'Edinburgh Forumistas' t-shirt? Oh and how many more questions should I ask?