Options

Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Options

Mags it would have been interesting to see you do a lap in those 4" heels and tight jeans. Well done on doing on the 22 miles. You could replace the 15 next weekend with Omaghy.I wouldn't advise this if you were looking for a good time in London. Under 5.14 in London shouldn't be a problem for you.

I did 13 this morning it was tough getting up an hour early as I was a couple of hours later getting to bed last night. I am glad I did as it was a lovely morning for running.

• Options

Some good running today guys-had rest day as still struggling with cold/chest.Also with my birthday yesterday was glad to enjoy recovery dayimage.Hope to get back training soon and entered Titanic 10k.-nice not having a marathon to train for-will stick with shorter events this year.

Mags-duriing 2 week taper for London do easy long run -time on feet-maximum 90 mins!All the hard training/miles in the bank done-cut back and enjoy!

• Options

Well done to all running over the weekend some good stuff done

Hope all the London runners enjoy there taper image

Loved our 20 mile run this morning you can't beat a bit of sun a few hills and being out in the country image if i can keep getting these 20 milers in and use pacing  Belfast as my last long run might give the Newry marathon a  blast if its still on as i don't hear much talk about it this year

• Options
    Lol @ Mags - I haven't gone away, you know! Thanks for the company and good to meet you too Alan. I feel surprisingly okay after my 22 miles especially as I was only aiming for about 16... After listening to Ron Hill last month, I can't help feeling he'd have approved of my nutrition and hydration strategy this morning!
  • Options

Thanks for the stretching tips I have finished my 20 miler and John Wayne legs seem to have mended. Felt good on this run and looking forward to Omagh last blast before Belfast. Good luck to the London crew and enjoy your Taper and stay fit.

HMM good to see you out with the Sunday crew you ran well.

• Options

Some good running over the weekend. London entrants now into taper. Wish I was at that stage. Well done to Mags, Robin, Jason, John on your 20 plus miles.

I did an easy4.3 miles this morning as I had trouble sleeping last night and was up early. Just testing leg and knee. Seemed ok this morning so hopefully will be ok tonight at training.  Country roads tonight instead of footpaths around town. image

BBT,  belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY.  Hope you shake that cold and get back at training to set a good time at Titanic 10k.

• Options

Great to be into the summer light! Looking forward to having our training sessions in daylight from tonight onward!

I did my first Dualthon at the weekend round the trails near the Ponderosa on the Glenshane pass- 6k run, 20k mountain bike, and 2k run- last section was hellish for leg cramps, although it all went smoothly, thankfully. Not really fit for walking now though- I had to stretch my legs before getting out of bed cos they wouldn't do it on their own! image Hoping i'm fit to be able to run the steady 50 mins tonight...

Oh, got the TQ10k entry in during the weekend- should be a good one, hope to see afew forumites there!

• Options

JR - well done , duathlon sounds like fun.

Lots of other LSRs. It was a nice weekend for running.

Does anyone know if Omagh takes entries on the day?  Thinking of doing it or the 5 mile in Leitrim. Will decide later in the week.

• Options
    JMcC they have in previous years but looking at the website it only mentions pre entries.
  • Options

Thanks Mags, the "John Wayne" look wearing off now! Bet I really looked the part with the water-bottle "holster"!

Regarding the Newry marathon above, this is the first I've heard of it as it's not featured on the NI Athelitics listings. Question, is it too close to Belfast to have a crack at (27 days)? May have been better to have Newry mid-June possibly? 

• Options

Hi Alan B, having done Belfast last year the Newry half was enough and most people that tried both full marathons ran poorly due to not enough recovery time.

Isn't the half part of the Spar circuit that is why I ran it and my time was down by about 5 minutes on last year. However the course is great and like Larne and Omagh challenging enough but great support.image

• Options

Taper schmaper. I've got one more week of full training before I'm cutting back (actually, I'll go a bit shorter next Sunday than usual, so I suppose it'll be a 2 week and 1 day taper, technically). Two key sessions this week for me (since I don't really know where I am, especially not having raced a Half Marathon this time) - 6m at last year's training MP HR on Tuesday, and then use the result from that run to finalise a pace for a longer MP run on Thursday.

Duathlon sounds like fun (?) JR.

Nice running (again) at parkrun C75. You're working hard, hope you have a flyer on Wednesday at Queens 5k.

Well done on the 22m Mags, and on the weeks training too. You're going to batter 5:14 in London.  And I agree with the other guys, I wouldn't go to Omagh.

Wonder why Newry moved to a Sunday? Anyone close to the grapevine down there?

• Options
    Kenny - thanks ,  5 miler in Leitrim then for me
  • Options
    I made a map on mapmyrun of the Omagh half route for this year, as it's a different route from last years.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/30490334/?open_ive_done=1#climbs

Shouldn't be as hilly as previous years
  • Options
    Thanks Colin for the info I am looking forward to comparing it to Larne and Lisburn. It seems that most of the hard work is done early on which is better and hopefully allowing better times.
  • Options
    Cheers Mags, PTB and TG

Training going v well. Looking forward to QUB and Titanic now.

C75

Ps. If anyone is looking for some seriously amazing training advice in the run up to BCM, check out the Daily Mirror for next few weeks. Page 30 today. Lol. It's Salazar-esque.
  • Options

All the best tomorrow night C75. You seem to be in good form at the moment.

I was pleased to get 11 miles done last night with 9 of them at marathon pace and just a little reaction from injury. Hope to do a few recovery miles tonight.

• Options

Hi everyone Springwell summer races 30 June Jude Gallagher Memorial 'Round the Bridges', 14 July Roadside Coleraine 10K, 23 July Dervock Half Marathon and 29 July NFU 5.

A challenge to a you all you long distance guys would anyone be interested in running the 26.2 miles at Dervock this year we are looking for volunteer or volunteers to run the distance in preparation for the full marathon 2012.

• Options

Kenny - is the 26.2 at Dervock the same date as the Half Marathon?  If so, I would be interesed in giving it a go.  Just need to find out where Dervock is nowimage.

I'm doing the Mourne Way Marathon on the 11th June but should be okay to do the 'Round the Bridges' again this year.

Thanks everyone for the advice about Omagh.  I have decided to heed the advice and not take part.  I'll just do an easier 15 miles on Sunday instead.  I will still go down (or up - my geography is terrible) to spectate so will look out for some of you there.  Who' s doing it?

I'm going to do the Queen's 5K tomorrow evening.  This will be my first official 5K race as the only time I have run 5K's are at the Parkrun.  I feel a bit nervous about it but going to treat it as a tough tempo run.  Who else apart from C75 will be running? 

• Options

MM-Sorry no short stuff for me I am doing Omagh and then Belfast but good luck at Queen,s nerves are a good motivation.image

Kenny- I am doing Round the Bridges again not sure about Dervock but may be tempted if others confirm (as a training run only).image

• Options

Yes Mags its on the same day as the Half. Dervock is four miles from Ballymoney. It's sign posted on the byepass.

Wise decision not running Omagh good luck tomorrow night.

• Options

Thanks for the info Kenny. Will plan to do all of those races but not sure if I will do half marathon or 10k in Dervock.

I am really tempted to do Queens 5k tomorrow night but have been advised not to because of injury. After an easy run tonight, if legs feel ok I might just turn up and race tomorrow night. It is a choice between 2 mile warm up followed by Queens 5k and 2 mile cool down or my usual 4 mile warm up followed by club intervals ( 3 or 4 x 6min) and 1.5 mile cool down. A good 5k race would boost my confidence.

• Options

Kenny i am gutted Dervock is on the same day as the 24hr race so i am going to miss it imageimage this year which is a shame as i have run it 5 years in a row and would of loved to of ran the marathon course for you.Hope to run another couple of your events however .

• Options
    im going to be doing queens 5k tomorrow, not sure how hard i want to go as im between my 19 miler last saturday and 22 this saturday so 5k probably isnt ideal preparation, but theres usually a good turnout and i've paid to enter so might as well give it a go!
  • Options

Sorry Jim but I have nothing to do with setting the date. We usually run it a couple of Sundays before the race if you want to join us.

Rodney I would stick to club training as you are trying to nurse yourself through to the marathon.

Tough session last night 6 x 1000m with 2 min recovery. I found it tough going but another good night for running. 

• Options
    JMcC wrote (see)

JR - well done , duathlon sounds like fun.

Lots of other LSRs. It was a nice weekend for running.

Does anyone know if Omagh takes entries on the day?  Thinking of doing it or the 5 mile in Leitrim. Will decide later in the week.

J McC- I think there is entries on the day for Omagh.
  • Options

Mags, C75, Jason - I'll see you there then (from the other side of the barriers, obv), I'll give you a shout.

C75 - I can't decide, reading between the lines of your post, whether the Mirror has some laughably hard or worringly light training advice. I didn't have you down as a Daily Mirror reader, either.

Rodney - agree with Kenny. Surely a good training session can give you confidence too? Don't know about you, but there's *no* chance of me running a confidence-boosting 5km race right now, after all the marathon training. But some quality controlled reps, or MP run, are far more likely to leave me feeling like I'm in good shape.

I'd run 2 previous MP sessions this month, both worked out as 6:45 pace for about 152bpm (82% max, 76% whr). But this time last year I was happy with MP runs at 156-158bpm, so last night I went out with 6m at that effort level, to see what pace it gave me, and what effort level it felt like. Result was 6m at 6:40 pace, so 5s/mile quicker for 4-5bpm extra image. This is not a good relationship, a lot more (relative) effort for very little pace change. It also felt hard - a little too hard. I probably expected that result, but there *might* have been a pleasant surprise. You don't ask, you don't get. So next key run this week is 10m at 6:45m/m on Thursday night. This is still a good thing, after losing 6 weeks or so over Christmas. image

• Options

PTB don't be fooled - C75 only bought it because he heard his photo was in it one day and has bought it ever since in the hope that he would get another photo shotimage

Good luck to all those running Queens tonight. Can't make it to watch unfortunately. Hoping for PBs all round -  Leek you haven't commited there but expecting to see a good time from you too if you're running...

• Options

Good luck to anyone running tonight hope the rain keeps away image should be a good race

I have missed a days training this week due to family stuff so looking forward to the speed session with the club image 2nite