Options

Northern Ireland Running

Comments

• Options

Great race at Dervock on Saturday. Nice to see Kenny and Mags working hard as usual.

Looking forward to 5 mile race in Ballymoney now on Friday night. Another great event from Springwell.

• Options
    Yes looking forward to a flatter coursecthis Friday
  • Options
    jasonreid7jasonreid7 ✭✭✭

Leslie - unfortunatly thats typical of drivers attitude to runners, found that myself on country roads, not given any space at all!

Rodney - i'm for ballymoney myself, really good event every year and then probably cookstown the week after, two good 5 mile races in a row

• Options

It was good to see you on Saturday too Rodney (and HMM) - just like old times image.

Unfortunately I won't be at Ballymoney on Friday as I'm already booked for the Giant's Trail Race.

The issue of headphones came up at Dervock on Saturday.  So many people wearing them that weren't aware of their surroundings and several could not hear (or see) me warning them that they were about to run into oncoming traffic by cutting the corner I was marshalling at.  There were a couple of close calls with runners and vehicles - all involving runners with headphones.

When I ran I used to love listening to music but after Saturday I'm definitely in the ban headphones camp. 

• Options
    Ban headphones. Fed up of runners crossing my path in races etc or stopping dead in their tracks to adjust pbone volume etc. Listen away in training but don't put others at risk in races.

Did I mention no headphones in races... image
  • Options
    jasonreid7jasonreid7 ✭✭✭

I totally agree - I can understand people using music in training for motivation and if it helps people going out and running then i'm all for it, whatever works for people - But i think in a race where it potentially affects the well-being of themselves or other runners, i think there should be a ban on them,

• Options

Personally never wear headphones when running as I like to be able to listen for cyclists or traffic while I'm running.

All the best in Cookstown tonight everyone. I'm holding off  until Wednesday nights 5 mile race in Coleraine for my next race.. It is another good event. Did it last year and enjoyed it although should be in better shape this year for a faster time.

• Options

rodney didnt get a chance to speak to you last week at ballymoney but you had a good run, nice course that after the 4th mile is over! Looking forward to Cookstown myself and considering coleraine next week, whats the course profile like on it?

• Options
    Paul OHPaul OH ✭✭✭

Dublin marathon is full up for the first time, due to the move from Monday to Sunday.  Glad I entered early for a change. Anyone else on the forum in for it?

I missed Dervock HM due to holiday so I went to the Kells half last week for the first time - a good event on a testing course.  Heading for the Mallusk 5 miler tonight.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Enniskillen parkrun is beings booted out of castle Coole by the local National Trust management. They NT issued a pay to stay ultimatum that parkrun quite rightly opposed.

They parkrun goes back to the Lakeland forum on 03/09/2016 so if you want to get a run in the fantastic parkland before it moves than you'll need to be quick.

For some reason Parkrun uk has failed to publicise this in the way they did when little Stoke (in Bristol) was under threat for the same reasons so you may not have heard of this backwards development.

Parkrun will continue in Enniskillen despite the small minded NIMBY brigade.
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Some good racing going on by the sound of it image

Jason - saying about the attitude of drivers, 99% are more than courtious I find and will even wave you to cross the road at junctions but there are always a few crazies out there ...

Paul enjoy Dublin, it's definitely on my to do list  but I just haven't been able to get up to marathon distance this year but starting to get some form again now but its only a matter of time image

VDOT- bloody disgrace and they know fine well Parkrun will never pay but I suppose as its not on the mainland nobody cares about our little country ...image

Did Riverine 10k last week in 40:40 which is about 30 secs of a pb so going the right way at last ,forgot how much 10k's hurt image

Anybody heard from the big man with the dogs, is he still racing image

• Options

Paul - doing Dublin myself this year for the first time, but as my main aim is Berlin around 4-5 weeks earlier, I'll be taking it easy, just hoping to enjoy it as opposed to run for a time - pressure off hopefully!

VDOT - Terrible that the parkrun is being forced to move, unfortunately it looks like the NT will try and get money wherever possible

Leslie  -  great 10k time, hoping to get down to the sub 45 this year myself but not sure i'll ever hit 40s so well done!

Currently I'm just building up the milage, 6 weeks for me until berlin so out for the first 20 yesterday, all being well and no injuries occur, im looking forward to it!

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Jason after all this mara training and the endurance you will have built up a bit of focus on the short stuff like 400m/800m and mile reps and your 10k times will tumble ...guaranteed.image

4x 1 mile today on the track for me.image

• Options

Leslie - I hope so - kind of missing the speedwork at the track now, will be back to it after for next years racing, maybe even some cross country over the winter.

What would be the pace you would run mile reps on the track for that session?

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Jason :My 2 mile reps at the minute are 6:30 m/mile and 1 mile reps yesterday were 6:06, 6:09, 6:06, 6:18 with 400m very slow jog recoveries.The miles are at near 100% effort for me and I faded in the last one as I had a hard 15m only 2 days earlier so still tired legs.I'm using these to make 6:30m/mile feel easier and I've been ramping the paces and length of reps for about 3 months now image Starting back to speedwork be careful and start with 400m reps etc as it will feel bloody tough at the start as it did for me image If you ramp slowly the pace will follow and an easy day after is essential ...

I've the waterside half in just over 2 weeks so this is the toughest week and mile reps should be around your 10k target pace which is what my 2 mile reps are at to build some endurance for a longer race. 3x 1 mile is a good session although for 10k you could build right up to 6x 1 mile over time for a pb race.

5 easy recovery ones on trashed legs today image

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Anybody racing today , I'm doing the waterside half in 2 weeks time,haven't made it the last 3 years due to constant injuries  image

5 easy yesterday then 15 mile today (10 mile easy then a fast 5k then 2 mile easy ) image

• Options

Leslie,

Thats some pace for mile reps, I'll keep a note and try and get down near those times as Id like to get my 10k pace down in the new year once the marathons are done with this year!

No races for me until Portglenone 5k in a few weeks time, then Berlin and Dublin - i'd quite like to find a half to do before berlin, but I think at this stage a long run might be better for the confidence

I havnt done waterside before, is it a good race?

• Options
    Paul OHPaul OH ✭✭✭

I'm in for the Waterside too. Pity that it's on the same day as the Laganside 10k as I used to do them both.  It's a good race Jason, big numbers and a decent course. They changed the route last year to bring it more into the city. Now it takes in a lot of the marathon route along the cycle path, with a deceptively stiff climb up to the Foyle Bridge.  It's my 50th half-marathon, so a bit of a milestone.   

Best wishes to anyone racing, especially in the marathon in Armagh.

• Options

Jason  I do the mile reps about 10 secs of my all out 1 mile pace, only really using them to make the 2 milers seem easier so they need to be hard and 2 mile reps were at just under current 10k pace ,just start out at a pace you can finish the reps at ,after a few sessions to get used to it you will know where you are at.

Paul - 50 halves is some going ! Just collected my race pack and am number 551 for the waterside on Sunday ,never ran the new course so will be taking it easier up the foyle bridge as after that it flattens out mostly and there is still along way to go image

3 easy this morn .

• Options

Waterside half marathon :

Ran 1:35 in the end was hoping to be well sub 90 this time for my comeback but my legs had other ideas and I just didn't have it after half way and crawled home,Foyle bridge was brutal !

Start was delayed a full hour due to a fatal car crash just up the road in the early hours .

Paul ..how did you get on ? image

• Options

leslie,

Well done at waterside, very warm day in the end so getting it done in that time is great work, especially just coming back - sure the legs are tired today!

Part of me wished i was racing yesterday at Laganside, but after a long run of 21 on saturday i thought better of it - did come down to support and help out though as it is the club race - really good day and some cracking runs down there as well, on a slightly revised course.

• Options

Jason nice 21 ,a race the day after sounds a step too far so wise decision you need to think of the big mara picture image   ,legs are a bit sore alright and should get back into pb shape sooner or later if I keep doing the miles.image

• Options

Been injured since the end of august and easing back in over last 2 weeks with 3 and 4 mile runs. Managed a sub 8 minute mile paced 5k last night. It's a long way back to fitness.

Quiet on here.

• Options

Rodney great you are getting back at it ,its taken me a year next month and I'm not quite there yet !

Quiet ? I think everybody else must have thrown the towel in and there is only me and you left !image

• Options

Great stuff Rodney, take it easy!

Leslie, you're not doing too badly, going by your time at Waterside.

Jason, how did your marathon(s) go?

Did the Dublin Marathon on Sunday. Perfect conditions. Crowd support even better than before.  Was happy to run 4:19 off quite low training mileage although the final quarter was tough going.

Anyone in for the Seeley Cup?

• Options

rodney - good to hear you're back - nothing worse than being injured, good to get back out there again,

Paul - Well done on the Dublin time, good to hear you enjoyed it as well.

I ran Berlin at the end of September targeting 3.45, unfortunatly on the day it was a bit on the warm side and ended up running a 3.54 - still a 4 min PB from last year but was going well until halfway, then just struggled to keep the pace, will give it another go next year.  Ran dublin with a friend who had been injured and hadnt a lot of training, pretty much a run/walk with him, just to finish - 5.27 in the end, which in a lot of ways was tougher than the PB in Berlin!  First time doing Dublin for me and it seems like quite a good event, good support, very friendly and it was great having the water bottles, perfect conditions for those racing too.

I'm trying to get the motivation back now to get a bit of sharpness back and maybe have a go at the cross country races over the winter, plenty on so I've no excuse!

• Options

Paul great stuff at Dublin image Waterside was a pain fest as I went out at 1:27 pace which was a mistake.image

Jason 2 marathons your flying image

7 easy this morn before workimage

• Options

leslie - 1.35 is a great time, although i know starting at a faster pace and then slowing is no fun! - sounds like my race in berlin!

no more marathons for a while for me, legs and knees in particular feeling the constant long runs on pavement, might work a bit on speed as discussed previously, 400m reps building to mile reps

• Options
    Larne Half Marathon registration opens tonight at 10pm.
  • Options

I've signed up for Larne half  ,anybody else running it ?image