Options

Runner's World 15-Mile Training Run, Richmond Park

Comments

• Options
    Anyone got any bright ideas for dealing with blisters? (other than not running of course!)- sustsained a nasty one on my instep last Sunday on my firat attempt at richmond park....made it worse yesterday with my speed session and had to stop today as my single piece of compeeed and the 1000 mile socks were not enough alone to protect it. I'll be gutted if I have to miss the long one this Sun so will take it easy for a couple of days but if anyone has any tried and tested methods of protecting it whilst carrying on on training I'd be v grateful.....
  • Options
    Ive done this run before and was planning to do it though to my dismay it is showing as full.

Anyone any idea if id be able to join if I turn up on the day as its likely a number of those that have entered will not turn up.

Also I guess there is no law stopping me from pacing off the back of a group at a public park?

• Options
    7mm / Sub 3:00
    Pizza man (hopefully)
    Gav

8mm / Sub 3:30
    Alexander Average
    SlowMac (hopefully)
    Sprint Finish

9mm / Sub 4:00
    Alex Popplewell
    MsFit
    Mum on the Run
    Number 3
    Rebecca Neil
    Snoop
    StephenV
    Tara
    The wonderful - Running Mermaid
    Miss T
    Carl (going to chance it by turning up on the day)

10mm / Sub 4:30
    Dena Garrett
    Jet
    Jeckmac
    Tinribs2
    V-rap (optimistically)

11mm / Sub 5:00
    DawnQ
    Hungry Hippo
    Josie Jump
    lucrece
    Sexy Arrows
    Tinks
    Riza

Unofficial GYR Group (11 min mile run 6 walk 1)

Jiff
    Josie Jump
  • Options
    Melanie, the RW website says "To treat blisters when they occur, you can apply petroleum jelly, cover them with Compeed (or other blister plasters) or fleece/moleskin. These will soothe the problem, though they won’t eliminate the cause".

Best of luck.

• Options
    May well be coming along for a long run- it's always a nice morning out in the park!

Slippery
    Pizza man (hopefully)
    Gav

Alexander Average
    SlowMac (hopefully)
    Sprint Finish

Alex Popplewell
    MsFit
    Mum on the Run
    Number 3
    Rebecca Neil
    Snoop
    StephenV
    Tara
    Miss T

Dena Garrett
    Jet
    Jeckmac
    Tinribs2
    V-rap (optimistically)

DawnQ
    Hungry Hippo
    Josie Jump
    lucrece
    Sexy Arrows
    Tinks
    Riza

Jiff
    Josie Jump
  • Options
    I may acidentally on-purpose turn up for this one and tag on :-)

Slippery
    Pizza man (hopefully)
    Gav

Alexander Average
    SlowMac (hopefully)
    Sprint Finish

Alex Popplewell
    MsFit
    Mum on the Run
    Number 3
    Rebecca Neil
    Snoop
    StephenV
    Tara
    Miss T
    Gadgetman (me too!)

Dena Garrett
    Jet
    Jeckmac
    Tinribs2
    V-rap (optimistically)

DawnQ
    Hungry Hippo
    Josie Jump
    lucrece
    Sexy Arrows
    Tinks
    Riza

Jiff
    Josie Jump
  • Options
    I'm in for 9 mins per ml on 27 Feb, hoping for a sub-4hr marathon in April.

My training programme calls for 15 miles slow (10 mpm) this week so at 0800 Sunday 20 Feb I'll be running from the Broomfield Car Park in Richmond Park: if anyone cares to join me, I'll be very glad of the company. The intention is to do a slow, steady 15M this Sunday in preparation for the paced 15M at race tempo on the 27 Feb.

I prefer to run the course anti-clockwise - follow the path down the hill from Broomfield to Robin Hood Gate, then Roehampton Gate, Sheen Gate, Richmond Gate, Ham Gate, Kingston Gate and back to Broomfield CP. My measurement says that it's about a 7.2 mile lap.

There's a steep descent immediately from Broomfield to Robin Hood Gate, more or less flat to Sheen Gate, gentle rise to Richmond Gate, mixed descent to Ham Gate, gentle rise to Kingston Gate, short steady climb then flat to Broomfield CP.

The run takes the main footpath all the way round the Park. The path was created a dozen or more years ago for pedestrians and cyclists - flat hard sand and gravel, about 3m wide, occasional puddles but no mud, through woods and grassland past streams and ponds.

There are toilets at all the Park gates, and I think that there are drinking taps in all of them. There are snack bars by many of the gates but I don't know when they start serving.
  • Options
    I would love to do this if a sprare place comes up... please!!!

nicky..
  • Options
    Hey everyone

Just read this thread- worrying a bit about next week so thought I would log on and boing it back up to the top.

Did FLM in 2003 and doing it again this year. Only done 10 miles so far this year, usually go every weekend to Richmond Park (one lap and a bit more, clockwise from robin hood gate)- it is a lovely run but don't think I will be going this weekend. Am tempted to do a bit of cross training tomorrow tbh, although I know I should be doing a 12 to be up for the 15 next week. Had a couple of wisdom teeth out yesterday and a bit of a sore shin too so feeling a bit sorry for myself!

So will add myself to the list and see you all next week, whatever I end up doing tomorrow! Twin sis did this run last year but only managed one lap, so will see.
    There are water taps and toilets at each gate, apart from one or two where the water taps are broken, but is best not to get left behind I guess and bring a bit of sustainance with you. By the sounds of it there are enough people that you won't be running on your own whatever happens, which will make a nice change. The hills certainly are killers.

Slippery
    Pizza man (hopefully)
    Gav

Alexander Average
    SlowMac (hopefully)
    Sprint Finish

Alex Popplewell
    MsFit
    Mum on the Run
    Number 3
    Rebecca Neil
    Snoop
    StephenV
    Tara
    Miss T
    Gadgetman (me too!)

Dena Garrett
    Jet
    Jeckmac
    Tinribs2
    V-rap (optimistically)

DawnQ
    Hungry Hippo
    Josie Jump
    lucrece
    Sexy Arrows
    Tinks
    Riza
    Fairy - or maybe the group below if is going on!

Jiff
    Josie Jump
  • Options
    i'm in for 10mm if i can manage to make it to richmond in time. can anyone please tell me how to get to the start from the richmond train/tube station?
  • Options
    Amy, Richmond Station is miles from the Car Park and there's no bus connection.

1) Maybe someone in this forum will offer you a lift from the station OR

2) You could walk/bus from the station up the hill to Richmond Gate and wait for the group to get there - the 10mpm group should arrive at Richmond Gate at about 08:40 if they leave the Car Park on time. Join the group for the rest of the run, and when they finish at the Car Park you run on to the Richmond Gate and the station.

The closest public transport to the start is the 85 and K3 bus route along Kingston Hill and Kingston Vale: enter the Park at the Ladderstile Gate or the Robin Hood Gate and jog to the Car Park - a bit less than a mile in either case.

Where are you travelling from?
  • Options
    I'm coming too! 8 mm.

Slippery
    Pizza man (hopefully)
    Gav

Alexander Average
    SlowMac (hopefully)
    Sprint Finish
    Banana Boy

Alex Popplewell
    MsFit
    Mum on the Run
    Number 3
    Rebecca Neil
    Snoop
    StephenV
    Tara
    Miss T
    Gadgetman (me too!)

Dena Garrett
    Jet
    Jeckmac
    Tinribs2
    V-rap (optimistically)

DawnQ
    Hungry Hippo
    Josie Jump
    lucrece
    Sexy Arrows
    Tinks
    Riza

Jiff
    Josie Jump
  • Options
    8:00 am start - usual place ??

??

• Options
    Really looking forward to this now. Can someone tell me though -is Broomhill car park the one actually at Kingston Gate? - only asking because I saw yesterday that the road that leads up to Kingston Gate (Queens rd) is closed for the next four weeks..... chaos beckons!.

8 mm.

Slippery
    Pizza man (hopefully)
    Gav

Alexander Average
    SlowMac (hopefully)
    Sprint Finish
    Banana Boy

Alex Popplewell
    MsFit
    Mum on the Run
    Number 3
    Rebecca Neil
    Snoop
    StephenV
    Tara
    Miss T
    Gadgetman (me too!)

Dena Garrett
    Jet
    Jeckmac
    Tinribs2
    V-rap (optimistically)

DawnQ
    Hungry Hippo
    Josie Jump
    lucrece
    Sexy Arrows
    Tinks
    Riza
    Melanie Forrest - well thats the plan anyway

Jiff
    Josie Jump
  • Options
    Melanie, Broomhill car park is not the one next to Kingston gate. It's the one about 1 mile up the hill from there, towards the Ladderstile entrance (right on top of that really steep hill).
  • Options
    BRM,

Thanks for your message. I'm coming from NW3 and, as many people, dreading the early start. I'll try to see what train station will drop me along the 85 bus route. Thanks again!
  • Options
    amy - I'll be driving from near Clapham Junction or Clapham South tube if you want a lift

Stephen
  • Options
    But if the only car access to the Broomhill car park is via the Kingson Gate, and the road to Kingston Gate is closed.....?
  • Options
    Yes indeed, and you can't drive in through Robin Hood Gate either.
  • Options
    Was in Richmond Park yesterday and part of the road leading to Kingston Gate is closed. The gate itself is open though and you can still enter by car by following a short detour.
  • Options
    so if you're getting there by car...how the heck do we get to the 'meeting up' car park?
  • Options
    Stephen, I may have to take you up on that offer. I'm waiting to hear if I can stay with someone in Barnes the night before (so I can wake up a bit later) but will get back to you asap! thanks
  • Options
    Tinks, if you can get in through Kingston Gate, turn right and the carpark is about a mile along on the right..
    Which gate would you use as an alternative?
  • Options
    You can drive into Richmond Park at Roehampton, Sheen, Richmond, Ham and Kingston Gates - The roads inside the Park form a loop, so once you're in you can drive round the loop to any part of the Park. There are roads cutting across the Park but they are dead-ends to motor vehicles.

You cannot drive through the Robin Hood or Ladderstile Gates, which are the closest gates to Broomfield Hill Car Park. Those gates are for pedestrians, cycles and horses only.

There have been road-works on Queen's Road for weeks but they haven't affected the Kingston Gate so far - I drove through it on yesterday (Sunday) morning. The temperature at 0800 was 0 Celsius but the sky was clear and the sun was wasrm. There were runners and cyclists on the path at that time, and by 0900 it was very busy.

I'll post a Kingston Gate Status Report (KGSR) here on Saturday afternoon.
  • Options
    Dear All

Apologies for joining this forum at such a late stage.

I'm up for the run - I assuem we do not hear anything else from the organisers other than the initial email on entry?

I'll tack on to the 8mm group.

7mm
    Slippery
    Pizza man (hopefully)
    Gav

Alexander Average
    SlowMac (hopefully)
    Sprint Finish
    Banana Boy
    Carpet

Alex Popplewell
    MsFit
    Mum on the Run
    Number 3
    Rebecca Neil
    Snoop
    StephenV
    Tara
    Miss T
    Gadgetman (me too!)

Dena Garrett
    Jet
    Jeckmac
    Tinribs2
    V-rap (optimistically)

DawnQ
    Hungry Hippo
    Josie Jump
    lucrece
    Sexy Arrows
    Tinks
    Riza
    Melanie Forrest - well thats the plan anyway

Jiff
    Josie Jump
  • Options
    Amy, the bus map says that the 265 goes from Barnes Station to the Robin Hood Gate of Richmond Park, which is half a mile from the Broomfield Hill Car Park. Don't know how frequent any buses will be at 0700 on a Sunday morning.
  • Options
    Is anyone driving tot this Sunday's Richmond run from fulham/ hammersmith/ putney who can offer a lift to a little one?

Thanks

Esther

e.shaw@independent.co.uk