Options

Runner's World 15-Mile Training Run, Richmond Park

Comments

• Options
    Amy
    I'm travelling from NW6, and dreading early start too. One possibility is Silverlink to Richmond and taxi from there.
  • Options
    Hi Mira. I'm actually borderline NW3/6 - just behind Waitrose. Am also considering Silverlink as it's nearby. Basically I'm trying to find the quickest way to get there so I can sleep in as long as possible.
  • Options
    Regarding public transport to the 15 mile training run, I have done a little research from Waterloo which may be helpful:

From Putney Stn (train from Waterloo at 6.44 arr 6.59) take the bus 85 from Putney Stn to Robin Hood Gate, bus leaves at 7.04 and 7.24, and takes about 10-15 minutes.

This was easier than the route from Barnes stn.

I'm really hoping this will work, but will have to see what mood 'London Transport' is in on the day!

PS why is the run so early??
  • Options
    Hi Amy
    Very weird. I'm just behind Waitrose too, so Finchley Rd and Frognal is best bet. Haven't worked out yet how early I'd need to leave (too painful!)
  • Options
    I'm in at 8 min/mile - hope the Pacers have a better start than last year! (a bit fast for the first lap!)

Simon
  • Options
    Im travelling from catford in south east london and am more than happy to help someone out with a lift if i can. However, i am travelling by motorbike so you must have a small head (my spare lid is small!). If you are up for joining me in freezing to death (30 mph will probably be about minus 20 wind chill!!!) whilst dodging sunday drivers at speed then post your response to me...

No...

I don't blame ya
  • Options
    will be travelling on eurostar from paris to be there - looking forward to doing at least 15K of the 24K - how many laps is it?
  • Options
    hi Simon, you missed a cold but scenic one yesterday at Bramley. I could only manage 1 lap of 10 miles so this will be my longest so far this year.
    Are you still on for sub 3.30 in London?
  • Options
    "Are you still on for sub 3.30 in London?"
    That's the plan! did a 17 on Sunday, most of which with Andy Allen.

Entered Reading Half & Fleet Half, and an old school mate rang tonight to see if I wanted to go skiing Fleet w/e... doh, decisions... can't do FLM on crutches, but haven't been skiing for years.. er, urm, ere, erm, urrmh...

• Options
    Transport is looking like a real problem, isn't it?

There appear to be a couple of suitable trains from London that morning:

(1)
    London Waterloo dep 0614
    via Clapham Jnct, Barnes, Richmond etc
    Kingston arr 0657

This leaves time to walk or cycle or minicab (see yell.com) to Broomfield Hill Car Park, which is about 2 miles away by road.

I live just up the road so I could give some people a lift from Kingston Station at 0700.

(2)
    London Waterloo dep 0644
    via Clapham Jnct, Barnes etc
    Richmond arr 0709

This leaves time to cycle or minicab to Broomfield Hill Car Park, which is about 4 miles away by road.

I should think that people driving away from the Car Park after the run might give lifts to stations and bus stops.
  • Options
    More transport news:

There are trains from London Waterloo to Norbiton (which is about 1 mile from Broomfield Hill Car Park):

dep 0600 arr 0704
    dep 0614 arr 0712
    dep 0630 arr 0734

The catch is that the trains terminate at Raynes Park (presumably because of engineering works) and there will be a bus link. That's usually terrible news, of course, but at that time in the morning it could just about run on time.
  • Options
    I am going to be driving down from hampstead heath, does anyone need a lift?

i may not be going all the way back up north after - but will be heading fairl central for sure!
  • Options
    I can give a lift from clapham jctn / putney stn / or clapham sth tube.

Stephen
  • Options
    Taton - I'm up your way in Highgate and would appreciate a lift down. I can be pretty flexible where we meet and naturally I'll cover any costs.

Let me know / email me - simon.mccaugherty@lhec.ac.uk

Cheers
  • Options
    Hi all, I'm in too, but a bit of a tortoise (11 min/mile group!), having upped my mileage considerably lately I now have one very important question - are there any loos on route !!!!!???? seem to need stops if going over 10 miles!!

Is it me?..................

Looks like being a bit of a cold one!! (may need even more stops!!!)
  • Options
    I intend to be there - if I can actually find a way into the Park! I'm tagging along with the 8 Min Milers

7mm
    Slippery
    Pizza man (hopefully)
    Gav

8mm / Sub 3:30
    Alexander Average
    SlowMac (hopefully)
    Sprint Finish
    Banana Boy
    Carpet
    BevR

9mm / Sub 4:00
    Alex Popplewell
    MsFit
    Mum on the Run
    Number 3
    Rebecca Neil
    Snoop
    StephenV
    Tara
    The wonderful - Running Mermaid
    Miss T
    Carl (going to chance it by turning up on the day)
    Gadgetman (me too!)

10mm / Sub 4:30
    Dena Garrett
    Jet
    Jeckmac
    Tinribs2
    V-rap (optimistically)

11mm / Sub 5:00
    DawnQ
    Hungry Hippo
    Josie Jump
    lucrece
    Sexy Arrows
    Tinks
    Riza
    Fairy - or maybe the group below if is going on!
    Melanie Forrest - well thats the plan anyway

Unofficial GYR Group (11 min mile run 6 walk 1)

Jiff
    Josie Jump

• Options
    Lucy Lu

def loos at Richmond Gate, Ham Gate, Roehamptan and Kingston gate - suspect there are others but that should hopefully suffice!
  • Options
    Jiff/ Josie, I am gonna join your unofficial run/walk squad at richmond. I've never run more than 10 before though so i'll see how far i get...
  • Options
    I still want a spare place if one comes up...
    help!!

nicky.
  • Options
    Myself (8mm)and Pingu(10mm)will be in attendance.
    See you there!!
    Anyone who would like to see some real sporting action(sadly lacking south of Sheffield), you're welcome to come see some Rugby League when the mighty Wakefield are coming to town to beat the London Broncos (hopefully)
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    Hi
    I am hoping to find a lift on Sunday. Is anyone driving from Angel/Islington or nearby? I will chip in for petrol, of course.
    My email is ornump@hotmail.com.
    Cheers, Peter.
  • Options
    Mira, you don't by chance go to Esporta in the O2 centre too, do you? just wondering b/c that would be a strange coincidence...
  • Options
    Taton - if you still have room in your car, I would also be grateful for a lift. I'm near the 02 centre on Finchley Road and can meet you if you tell me where.

Please let me know... amypointon@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Hi Mira
    Yes I go to Esporta too. I'm usually on the treadmills upstairs, quite often these days as am training for marathon (my first!) ot at yoga. Just got back from there now!

And Taton
    Likewise, if there is one last place in your car, I would also appreciate a lift. You can let me know at mdgriffith@hotmail.com.

Mind you, it's going to be cold!!!
  • Options
    Sorry, meant 'Hi Amy'....
  • Options
    Hi Carpet
    Thanks for the reassurance about the loos - feel better about it already!
    See you there...... (not in the loos!!)
  • Options
    has anyone found a route by public transport from east end of town?
  • Options
    Hi Creo

The first District Line train on a Sunday gets to Richmond at 0736. If you book a minicab to meet you, you'll just make the 0800 start.

I've posted some stuff about first trains from Waterloo - see page 7 of this thread.

See thetrainline.com and tube.tfl.gov.uk and transportforlondon.gov.uk for detailed journey information about trains, Tube and buses.

I notice that the 85 bus (from Putney), which runs close to the Start, has a night service (N85), so you might be able to get another night bus to connect with that.
  • Options
    I can offer lift from East Dulwich