Options

Any Children with Leukaemia runners?

Comments

• Options
    Sammy are you hoping to lose 1 stone over the next 6 weeks?
  • Options
    21 miles done and dusted. 3 minutes slower than last week, but hey, it's banked. Bath Half in 2 weeks time, so there's chance for another one, or maybe a bit shorter (15-18).
  • Options
    Ed - Yes i am hoping to loose 1 stone in 6 weeks. I am watching what i eat and cutting out beer altogether.Running again on a regular basis now so it should not be a problem. At the moment i weigh 15st 7lbs, 2 stone over weight.

Alex - Thanks for the eating on the day info.

Resting today, but starting to feel a lot better.
    Suprised me how long it has taken me to recover from the calf tear.Calf standing up to the runs so i am happy with my progress. Running a 10mile this sun so i am making progress.
  • Options
    Ed - not posh at all; it's just that I have to buy in my motivation! But he is superduper, great fun and a complete b!stard all rolled into one. I do two seshes a week each of which is a 2-3 mile run inc speed work , boxing, weights and stretching. He is my greatest indulgence and my shoe shopping has suffered as a result, but it's worth it. Plus he's going to be there on the day to warm me up, cheer me on and then to give me a stretch/massage afterwards. I think there are 6 of his clients in the FLM and luckily we're all in red start and all finishing in different target times so he should be there for all of us in turn at the finish. but he'll be a busy boy!!! I'm going to drag him along to the CwL venueso he can help out with the other sports masseurs...

I told you I was well accessorised!!
  • Options
    Alexandra- How do you know your in the red start? I don't know where i'm starting, or do we all start in the red as we're representing a charity??

Well done Blisters for your 21 keep it up everyone!!!!
  • Options
    Lucinda, i last broke 3 hours in the 2000 FLM, i have been running for years so there aren't that many tips i can give apart from the old cliche "train hard, race easy!". If you know what your race number is you'll be able to find out what start you'll be on. Numbers 1001-28000 are on the blue start, Numbers 28001-33250 are on green start and numbers 33251-59000 will be on red start. The numbers below 1001 are championship places (V fast runners!).
  • Options
    smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    A bit of advice please

When I first started training I was aiming to finish in about 4.15 but due to my injury/illness I am now looking at finishing in about 5.15

Do you think I should get the marathon peeps to start me further back or just stay put and let everyone overtake me?

I need advice quick as today is the last day for altering your estimated time
  • Options
    WHOOPS! I have just read through the forum and seen that the train hard cliche has been used already. So i'll throw in this one for the first time marathoners, There's only one thing more painful than carrying on, giving up!!! Cliches don't you just love them (NOT).
  • Options
    My advice is stay where you are, If people want to overtake you, let them. With the championchip system your time wouldn't start until you had crossed the line anyway.My first london marathon took me about 15 minutes to cross the line and your time started when the cannon fired.I was always playing catch up, which isn't an ideal situation when running 26.2 miles.
  • Options
    Alex - i know why you want your personal trainer to go into the cwl venue so you can have a personal 'rub(down)' yourself!

I think I'd rather go for female rubdown myself, hopefully with swedish twins!
  • Options
    You have got to be joking, Ed.

Last time I let him anywhere near me (when my left ibt band was playing up) I ended up with blue/purple bruising over a 24 by 6 inch area on my hip and leg - NO KIDDING. This is strictly survival. I have a 7ams session on Monday 18th April after all! So if you want two "physios" doing that to you, carry right on!!

(Has anyone else noticed how the tone of this thread drops right off when Ed arrives?!)
  • Options
    Thanks Rick D, i'll look later see what start I'm on sure I remember my No was very high.( hoping to make the blue start next year if not def the year after!!) I have been training hard just not been motivated this week body's aching going out later see how it goes.
    Black Cat I'd stay in the same place you'll be fine :)
  • Options
    Lucinda, unfortunately aches & pains are all part of the territory, as blisters said, training for and running a marathon are serious undertakings that will test you mentally and physically. If there was an easy way round it there would be far more runners than there are arm chair fans who just sit there and watch it on BBC1.
  • Options
    smg2975smg2975 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Rick and Lucinda, I've decided to stick put.
  • Options
    Alex - thanks for the nutrition guide - very helpful!
    I have just been to my running shop and stocked up on carbo gels for my half marathon on Sunday.
    Good luck everyone with all the training.
  • Options
    Natalie - good luck with the half marathon! Just watch those gels - the lucozade orange ones make me feel right funny if I have more than one about every 7 miles...bleaugh!

Mine's a 16 on Sunday but I might go and do 2-3 miles to see how I am tomorrow ..in which case i will have been following the sub-4.30 schedule properly for once - YAY!!!

Lucinda - hang in there and go and have a gentle one then a hot bath and a glass of red wine (good for heart!! medicinal!!) and a long sleep. PROMISE you'll feel better...

I'm starting to pop loads of vitamin supplements now - glucosamine for joints, pharmaton for fatigue, multivits for cold avoidance and omega 3 oils and folic acid for mental strength. I am throwing the book at my body and hoping some of it helps!!
  • Options
    Echinacea is supposed to be good for boosting the immune system. Holland & barrett is also having a sale,which is nice!
  • Options
    rick - they'll have seen us coming!!!

am holding of fthe echinacea until i taper because you're not meant to use it constantly , apparently...?

right, I'm off. Good weekend, folks...
  • Options
    Thanks for your support guys.
    I have good news. Although the pain started in my hamstring its the tendons behind my knee which were still affected. The hamstring has healed sucessfully.
    The physio took a look at my shoes and given how few miles Ive done, he was appalled and said I should send them to asics pronto and demand action becuase the heel has collapsed ( its density and give is gone) and he said thats what had more than likely injured me.
    Ive bought some brookes beasts and he said they would have been what he would have recommended so he was glad I'd got in and done it anyway.

After some treatment with some electric impulses and heat and massge Im allowed to go for a four to five mile run on sunday ( HOOORAH) and hes going to see me again on monday
    Im glad I did rest but the treatment has taken away all the tightness and had I carried on resting without treatment I would have caused more damage as it tightened.
    Im so glad Im still in for the marathon and one of the managers at a centre where I work has said he will get a load of sponsors for me too :-) If I help him train for the Cardiff 1/2 marathon
  • Options
    Natalie: good luck with the HM on Sunday. Just try not to get caught up with racing - suggest starting well towards the rear 3/4 and go at your own pace. Different gels suit different people, and some not at all.

My current fave is Maxim from Holland & Barrett as it's mildly flavoured and not too sticky. There is also a chocolate flavoured Hi5 one that is hedonistic for a runner!

I would strongly suggest that all first timers have the services of a sports physio on tap right now. Bruising a thigh instead of massaging an ITB sounds a bit heavy handed to me. Then again I've got a masseuse. My wife bruises easily, so I can understand where you are coming from. (That could be misunderstood: perhaps I should hit her less often?)
  • Options
    hi guys just got back from playing 5 a-side footie and then my run home from work (4 miles).

Good luck to everyone this weekend on their long runs on sunday or saturday depending which day you prefer.

Alex, sorry! (in future i'll stop thinking about those swedish twins, i don't mean to lower the tone, it just comes naturaly must be because of being a P.E. teacher - mental note I must try harder not to, I must try harder not to!) and why aren't you meant to use echinacea all the time?

I've got 6 miler tomorrow then an 18 miler on Sunday, then 180 school reports, P.E. and Geography at some point - mmmm nice!

Blisters you are meant to do it the places it doesn't show, so they say!

Take care all, chin up Jenny you be careful on Sunday and everyone have a good weekend!

Have good one ;-)
  • Options
    Jenny, that is SUCH good news!! What a relief!! Hope all goes well for you..

Blisters - I do bruise extremely easily. Always have. And it did sort the band out. Yes, I was more than a bit shocked but it went away pretty quickly after a few days and I asked around and was told that it could happen..

Ed. You teach female 14 year olds? Hmmmm!!!

Still, to make your life easier I have composed the following pro forma report, which can be used for PE or geography. Simply delete as applicable:

[Name of pupil]
    [Year]

Little [ ] has made good/solid/no progress this term. His/her team/dribbling/racquet/tactical/social/ analytical/orienteering skills have improved/worsened greatly, particularly on the [hockey/soccer/rugby/cricket] pitch/ recent field trip. His/her eye-hand co-cordination/cartography/personal hygiene still require/s some work however and once he/she can successfully distinguish hi/hers @rse/rivers from his/her elbow/borders, little [ ] will/may have some hope of reap/ing rich rewards. A pleasing/pitiful performance.

I'm REALLY going now.

byeee!
  • Options
    Little [ ] has made good/solid/no progress this term. His/her team/dribbling/racquet/tactical/social/ analytical/orienteering skills have improved/worsened greatly, particularly on the [hockey/soccer/rugby/cricket] pitch/ recent field trip. His/her eye-hand co-cordination/cartography/personal hygiene still require/s some work however and once he/she can successfully distinguish hi/hers @rse/rivers from his/her elbow/borders, little [ ] will/may have some hope of reap/ing rich rewards. A pleasing/pitiful performance.

Hahahahaha where did you get my school report?
    and i turned out to be a coach myself signing someones GCSE exam sheet this week
    So sod anyone who thinks being bad at PE means you are crap at sport. I get paid to teach it
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA to all those snotty girls who were good at netball and made me feel like crap, bet they couldnt run to the end of the street these days without wetting themselves and collapsing
  • Options
    Alex- thanks for that, I like the personal hygiene bit!

LOL I'm gonna use it today after work! Yes I do teach on a saturday its on boarding school long hours, long working week but equally long holidays (i only work work 2 thirds of a year, i get 2 months in the summer and a month at xmas and easter! Woo Hoo!)

I don't mind writing P.E. reports (easy) it's the Geography ones I hate, boring!

I teach P.E. from 4 year olds to 14 its ok but sometimes i do get a little bored and 14 years olds aren't for me, as I said I would prefer swedish twins in their early 20s for a rubdown!
  • Options
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA to all those snotty girls who were good at netball and made me feel like crap, bet they couldnt run to the end of the street these days without wetting themselves and collapsing

LOL!! YES, we're striking a blow for all the girls who were rubbish at PE at school...!

Ed, you're in detention!!!
  • Options
    Make that a Friday detention. Cleaning the boys' loos with a toothbrush. Your toothbrush.

Incorrigible. Looking forward to being introduced to the future Mrs H at the CwL party, raising the subject of swedish twins, and watching you squirm..

Just done a really nice 3M. Didn't bother taking any paraphernalia or even a watch, just went out for a bit of a dander. So nice...and just as I got in it started to snow. That's timing!!! So am now cosied up for the day in my brand new enormous FLM fleece (should have asked for a M; the L comes halfway down to my knees).
  • Options
    Alex - she reads the threads with me and just says 'in your dreams!'

At my school the worst detention is a saturday one instead of games, however the weather pretty pants here today so I think it would be better to have a detention than to go out in the cold rain/snow!

Right i'm off to lunch then to teach some rugby speak later!
  • Options
    Just did my longest run EVER. 17.5 miles in 3hrs 20 WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!

..could have gone further but it was beginning to get REALLY cold and I was STARVING. Ran all the way too!!!! BRING IT ON!!!!

Natalie, how did your half marathon go?

Jenny, how is your knee??

Ed, when are you getting married? MrsHtobe sounds brilliant!
  • Options
    Just done an 11.3mile run this morning. Thats the longest that i have ever run. Did the 10mile mark in 1hr 45min. Felt crap as i was running.
    At 8 mile i felt hungry so tried a Gel which turned out to be OK. Dont think i will get up to 26.2 miles in this short time. But i will do my best.
    I run on my own but now the runs are getting longer they are also getting harder.
    I dont know if it was because i always run in the afternoon or evening but i got up at 06:30 had breakfast then running 08:00 for my long run in prep for the FLM. I will be doing this now every sunday.

Bought some new trainers last week and today i started to feel a blister coming after the 11mile mark. Is through the new shoes or what ??

Alex,well done on your long run. How did you feel later on ??