Options

Nice Little Runs in Sutton Park

Comments

• Options
    PruePrue ✭✭✭
    Tumps - No fun run for me, went for a nice chatty run round there today though. Are you thinking of doing the gate run Tumps at the end of June?

MH - You'll love cader, I did the Cader Idris fell race last Saturday, was a tough run, but managed to knock just over 20 mins off my time from the last time I ran it in 2007 as my first fell race just over 2 and a half hours up and down from Dolgellau. Its a tough start from Dogellau for about 1.5 miles up a steep tarmac road, before you cross woodland and marshes to get on to the track up the mountain, quite harsh terrain at top, boulders mainly. Was dead chuffed with myself as had a great day out and fab descent.

Not sure on the LDWA, stuff malvern marathon at the end of June.
  • Options
    HI Prue..well done for the Cader race...it is a tough mountain to walk up because of the boulders. Not sure about the Round the Park run as I may be working in Italy that week. Also, I have an achilles tendon issue coupled with an ongoing back problem...maybe I am heading for the knackers yard image 
  • Options
    His all - well it was great to see TR and Caz pounding by at the fun run - TR was particularly impressive at 6 miles considering just a few months back he had a cast on!. Caz I hope you are feeling better - you did look a little *green* if I am honest. I took the time to drive to Four oaks then cycle round the park opting for where you saw me in the end - by the bloke with the hose.

I saw loads of people I know - the leading lady was a Bournville harriers runner but I don't know her name , she's been on here and weve seen her regular , some friends from Aldrige runners too as well as some old school friends running it. I hung around for and hour and by then it was pale sweating suffering people coming past walking and limping - new runners who'd over cooked the hills and still had the big one to go.

Having walked round the park with carol Sat and this cycling I decided to go for a run late afternoon and did 5 miles round here. I feel Aldridge 10K will be OK now.

Prue - thats impressive , it's bloody long way from dolgellau up that mountain. I was considering climbing from Mindford the other side as it makes for a better circular route from start to finish.

I must look up these LDWA events and persuade carol - though she still feels she'd be too slow and have the sweeper walking behind us pretending to look at the scenery!

Papa - I feel like I'm getting past it too , I've walked and cycled to help the legs but they still feel all glitchy when out running - made worse by seeing TR sprinting along on his bad ankle!
  • Options

Was great to see you yesterday Mike ,put a spring in my step just before the big one upto Four Oaks gate image. Started right at the back with Carolyn and the first miles were so crammed was up and down curbs on the grass but could not get a good run at it untill town gate and by then was a bit nackered but managed the 8.5 miles with plenty left for another few miles so quite happy and a time of 1:08  not bad after a first very slow mill close to 10 mins due to the sheer amount of people . Glad i got out of bed and had a run round, first one since the foot thing and i enjoyed running with a number on with fellow runners so will have to start looking at a few more races to try and get some speed back.

Looking forward to the gate run on Wed 29th image

Have a good run all  

• Options
    Welcome back TR & a good time as well image
  • Options
    How is the ankle now after week TR? I was delighted to see so many I recognised, I quite like supporting and get carried away. I went running round the park on Wednesday and trained on Friday in the gym , went for a walk this morning with Amy and was expecting to go for another walk with carol this afternoon but it's tipping it down.

With Aldridge 10K tomorrow it's forecast rain so that will be cold wet and miserable - I'll soon know why I haven't raced for ages!

We have a family do to go to after so I'll need to run then quickly dodge home and shower.
  • Options

Hi all image

Not been on for  a while as life has been major hectic for the last month but it's all slowing down now so, other than needing to write 58 reports, I should have some time on my hands to get on here.

MH - glad you're getting back into it and hope todays Aldridge 10k went well. Was nice to see you at the bottom of cardiac for a quick natter the other week. I was green indeed. Am suprised how well I got on considering I had been ill for the last 48 hours and had been unable to keep anything down. Was very sensible though and had a full drink at every water station. Hope to see you and Carol soon at an LDWA somewhere.

Speaking of LDWA, TR and I are just back from a great weekend in Hurdlow with Juicer and Dazz. Did the Baslow Bootbash yesterday (Juicer unable to as injured at the moment) but Dazz walked it with a mate from his work. TR and I ran the flats and downs in the first half but I struggled for a while between 15-20M and we walked it all for that stage really. Don't know what was going on? I was really light-headed and wobbly image Picked it up again though after that with a good stint of running and then fell apart again after the last climb at around 25M where I came over all funny again. Managed quite a lot of running in the last couple of miles and finished an undulating 27.3M in 6:59:58 which included all CP stops, photographs, scenery enjoying, lunch and navigating, so we're quite pleased all things considered. Dazz and Mick were back just 40mins after us .... so some mega-fast cracking walking going on there!!!

Hoping to be able to spend a little bit more time on me for a few weeks now and get some more running in the week done. SAT's over for little RC and work less hectic so I'm hoping to do more in the evenings as well as my swim in the mornings.

PM - well done on that race result!! We're looking at an LDWA event down Bristol way in Sep so could be chance for a meet up image

Happy running everyone!!

• Options

Well done RC.

Juicer - sorry to hear about your injury. Adductors are about the only problem Ive had over the years - touch wood!

Did the Blaise Blazer last Monday - no excuse really as I did it last year and know how bloody hard it is! Nearly died on the second long hill but finished in 29.11 which was great. Followed that up with a tough club session on the Tuesday and the Bradley Stoke 10k this morning. Rained like crazy all day and we got soaked. But its a good course with a mix of road and trail but hte mud held people up a bit. Still, managed 44.27 so I was well chuffed with that!

Next up is the Clevedon 10k on Tuesday. All these races are because the club has a summer championship where you have to take part in 7 out of 15 named races. You are given an estimated time and you get a point for every second faster you are and lose a point for every one slower. Its a good idea and adds a bit of an edge to each race.

RC - Let me know about the Bristol LWDA dates for September and we can meet up, or you can stay here.

• Options

Well done PM - Blaise woods and castle are tough terratory (sp?).

Done my 1M swim before work and am actually quite looking forward to a gentle 3/4 mile this evening and tomorrow I may even run around the park image

• Options
    Well what a wet cold Aldridge 10K !! But great to meet Prue , a shame it was so wet and cold, I had a really good race - great we started off at a reasonable pace. I kept wanting to press ahead but was sure I'd burn out and over cook the end. But as it was by the middle of the final hilly country lane (Hobs Hole Lane) I felt a cub 50 might be on the cards but I had left myself with too much to do and managed 51:44 .

Then I had to cycle home , shower and rush out to Nuneaton, I was starving but the food wasn't ready so I had a drink or two and today have felt worn out and really rough!

So all in all a cracking good weekend!
  • Options

Good running MH!

Just seen the results from Bradley Stoke and I came 57th (55th on chip time) out of 457 - blimey! So a tad pleased with that. Only problem is that it changes the target times in the club championship - so I need to get better than 44.50 at the Clevedon 10k tonight to avoid losing points. Mind you, I'll be so chuffed if I could get two sub-45s within less than 60 hours! I doubt it somehow though. 

• Options
    PruePrue ✭✭✭
    TR/Caz - Looks like you had a good weekend. image

Pman - Well done on your race, good luck for Clevedon.

MH - You did good, and you were so convinced that you wouldn't get a good time. Thats Brilliant... It was indeed wet! I had a nice run, didn't put the effort in as had a very bruised foot, but nice to race socially. Bumped into some old random friends too, which was nice.
  • Options

Well, Clevedon is a very good race. Not everyone's cup of tea as its flat and on roads but good for pbs. Over 20 from Southville ran it with about 6 pbs and several more very close. This was the first time Ive run two races so close together. So to follow up my 44.24 on Sunday with a 43.32 last night was brilliant!!!! I was sure my legs would feel heavy but I started off quite fast. I thought Id pay for it but I felt strong and just kept going. Havent checked the nerdy stats on the garmin yet but I know I got to 5k at around 21.30 so did about 22 for the 2nd half. And I think I can do it faster next year! Im more chuffed than a very chuffed thing. Now I can go to Glastonbury for 10 days and come back ready to race again knowing I can do it.

• Options

Got the nerdy stats now (in miles) - 6.44, 7.00, 7.07, 7.14, 7.09, 7.00 with a sprint finish for the last 0.21 averaging 6.20! Total average: 7.01. Really cant believe I did that.

On Sunday in the cold and pouring rain, they were: 6.48, 7.33 (lot of mud), 7.01, 7.14, 7.30 (more mud!), 7.14 with a finish averaging 6.40. Total average: 7.13.

OK, enough blowing my own trumpet!

• Options
    Bloody good running mate  well done image
  • Options
    Well done PM. Gives me an impressive target to aim for. Off to Torquay this weekend for the Half Mara in aid of Help For Heroes. Was hoping to get a PB as it is a nice fast race but now have a few calf issues to just gona have a bit of a plod. Good look to all running this weekend - Boing Boing
  • Options

Albion update for Torquay Half Mara

Best half mara been too in ages. 10 times better organised than the birmingham half. Quality tech t shirt & medal at finish. Nice day and a nice quick 2 lap course apart from a couple testing hills. Got a chip time 1.36.04  ( 11 sec outside my PB ) which gave me 3rd place / prize in my age group. Prob do this one again next year as had such a great time.   Boing Boing

• Options
    PruePrue ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Great running from peaceman - could have done with you at Aldridge like a few years ago!

JA - I was just thinking of EDF half , I ought to do it just because it's huge and my poor performance won't be noticed. I note that the Wyre Half is on 10th July - remember how you dragged me round that Prue? I should have liked to do that again but I'm not up to it really plus I'll be busy that weekend.

Tomorrow 26th , there is Gate Gallop 10K in Tamworth , I always do this and seeing as I'm really only up for 10k's it seems just right. I ran 5 miles on wednesday and really enjoyed it just locally , especially round the moto cross site at the bottom of the hill. We walked on Tuesday about 4 miles , I ran weds, Gym on thurs, cycled all round the park with carol on Fri and went to the gym today. I actually feel as fit as I always thought I would but never could realise when I ran long distance and didn't do other training.

next week we are off to Leeds as Amy wants to see her friend and stay over so we are going walking in the dales - any thoughts as to where we could go? The week after we have pencilled in Cader Idris for the weekend, weather be damned!.

I have been thinking of Peaceman in the sea of mud at Glasto - he is there this year as normal isn't he? Someone I speak to regular asked if they could borrow my van for glasto some time ago - I declined!
  • Options
    Gate Run from Town Gate in Sutton Park this Wednesday evening image.
  • Options
    PruePrue ✭✭✭

Doh!  Only just looked on here, and forgot about the gate gallop, I could have done that as well today as little un was off at Drayton manor. 

Enjoy the park run Wed Caz - Am away so won't be able to make it now. 

MH - I'll be there again at Wyre forest, I love that run.  Managed a 15miler on Saturday as haven't really been doing distance, so just need to check I could still make do it.  If you need any places reconmending up north, I'd drop Juicer a line, I'm sure she'd know some fab places image

• Options
    Caz - that would be lovely but I'm working every evening , off all day but out from 4pm . Shame that would have been great.

Prue - what a pity it was a great day for it - swealtering hot , blistering sun with front runner collapsing all over the place. Again I had forgotten how hard it is in places. I got round in 55 mins or there abouts so I was delighted with that but worn out.

I'd love to do wyre but I haven't been above 10K for over 3 months, I'll never make it .

We are dropping amy off at Guisely (sp?) then off to the moors. Lots of stuff online , I just hop it isn't persisting it down!
  • Options

Enjoy your trip Mike   have fun.

Managed Denzils holly half marathon at the weekend was a little warm and its a bloody hard half  with lots of hills and all on gravel tracks through the woods by his house. 16 and a bit laps talk about running round in circles image but enjoyed and happy how it went  then spent the rest of the weekend drinking beer in the sun   head hurts today still image.

Have a good run all, good going Prue, des on your long one in the park. See some of you soon.

• Options
    Tarmac - lots of hills? no the same one 16 times surely - that distance is like running round the block here till you do a half. You may as well have done the Brum Black country half down the canal - I should have liked to do that as I've done it since it's inception when there was just 30 of us.

Instead we went to the yorkshire dales and had a lovely weekend - the weather was utterly perfect , we went to Gordale scar and camped in the van, we walked from there through the waterfall which took some climbing to Malham Tarn , round there via the wonderful wetland bog with it's walkway back through Malham Cove with the limestone formation that was featured on Harry Potter.

The next day we walked down the river through the lovely local villages the back to malham for luch , in the afternoon we went to Victoria Cave and didn't leave the area till 5pm so it was really late home. This weekend coming we hope to climb Cader idris.

This weekend is Wyre Forest half that I struggled with last year but I couldn't even imagine doing now - I'm sure it's Trentham 10 miler too , there is a 10K in Wolverhampton the Midsummer but I'm not decided yet , either go there or just go to Sutton Park for a nice run for an hour or so saving the fuel and entrance fee.
  • Options
    PruePrue ✭✭✭

MH - Sounds like you had a fab weekend, well timed for the weather.

I had a great run yesterday at the Wyre forest half, had been training hard all week, so was suprised to knock off over 4 mins from my time last year and bag a bottle of wine for the ladies team at my club image Very warm, but managed to run most of the hills,  must be the training at Cobra I've been doin! As felt very comfy all the way round image

Lets hope it lasts, as have Snowdon international race next week image!  

• Options
    Well done at Wyre Prue - I just couldn't have done it, in the end I opted for a run round the park and did about 7 miles and was pleased with it but couldn't have gone further - if I'd have tried Wyre you'd have had to carry me rather than drag me like last year.

Good Luck at snowden - I hope the weather holds though as we are doing cader I doubt it , I've never been there in the sun. After last weeks lovely weekend in the dales I'll be greedy if I expect nice weather again. Going off late this afternoon and camping on the carpark to start climbing early.
  • Options
    Have a good run/hike this weekend allimagejust off over Barr Beacon for me then down the canal. Enjoy.
  • Options
    I hope you got on OK Prue - as usual on Cader idris it hammered it down most of the day. We camped on the carpark at Minnfordd - it chucked it down all night and was midge hell. It cleared for the first hour but once above the tree line it just blew and thrashed it down for the next four hours. It tried to clear in the afternoon which was a help getting down on the far side using the minnfordd path as it's damn near vertical.

To be honest we had leg ache till Wednesday which was unusual - it's a tougher climb than I had remembered.

I would have liked to go to the gym this morning but I have a crick in my neck which I made worse in the gym on Wednesday. I'm off for a run now in the park and hope to get out cycling with the girls this weekend. There is a 10K in Cannock Chase but at £16 I'm not sure.
  • Options

Only TR

Have a good run Prue. Good weather for it this weekend.  Enjoy

Sent off my entry today for Wolves half just to have a  local run out with a large group and only cost me £14  have fond mem's of this race over the years with some nice peopleimage. 3rd Sept i think.

Have a good run all, see you soon.

• Options
    PruePrue ✭✭✭

Thanx TR and MH

The weekend was fantastic, had a great run and managed to knock over 10mins off my Snowdon Race PB image  So chuffed.  Legs were great after too, and managed to race a fell race up north 3 days later, that went well too image 

Lets hope its lasts hey!

MH - Shame about the weather, as the views are just beautiful up there.  I walked it in the winter and could see for miles on a snowy clear day, just a bit hairy on the top! 

Anyone else racing soon?  Staffs knott is soon....