Options

Nice Little Runs in Sutton Park

Comments

• Options
    Well I'll have comfy feet tomorrow - I had to buy some new trainers earlier , my old ones have come apart. They seemed OK last Sunday but I had run the 3 miles down the shingle beach at calshot. I didn't check them when I took them off. It was probably climbing the huge wooden barrier that is situated on the beach to seperate a private length of the beach which I was trespassing on to get back to the van. The problem is the barrier is almost un climbable and it's right by the Nudist beach so you can't hang about when climbing - it's embarrassing!

I really hope TR doesn't run too fast - he'll be waiting an awful long time for me at the end!
  • Options
    What a great morning! Thanks to Richard for taking me - it was great to have the company. Sorry I wasn't up to running round like last time but though it took me 2:04 I did enjoy it and feel not to bad now.

I have entered the Brum half this afternoon, it's going to be on C5 as well according to the website. We can't do the Canal canter - carol can't change her day off which is a shame as she was really up for it even though we have the ponton plod the week after!

We'll have to get plenty of training in for the plod - we don't want to be followed by the sweeper.
  • Options

Cheers Mike had a great time also, was nice to catch up with people i had not seen for nearly twelve months. rattled for the first nine miles then got my head down on the hilly last four miles to get in in 1:45 .Must say the medal this year was crap,bit of tin with a sticker on, Mike gave his away to a little girl, did make me smile.

Got my Birmingham half entry in also so with a bit more speed work should enjoy this one too.

Enjoy The Ponton Plod , cant do it this year. Our next run out will be Open to Offers (LDWA) .

Have a good run all and Well Done RC on her run out at Little aston 5 miler .

• Options

Good to hear you enjoyed it MH. And TR seemed to have fun as well by the sound of it.

Did a steady 9M yesterday at just under 8min/mil pace. Enjoyed it and felt strong. Not going out today but will do another speed session tomorrow then a mixture of paces for the last few runs before the race on Sunday.

• Options
    Got absolutely drenched this morning! Went out and did a good speed session but it chucked it down. Still managed 10 x quarter mile sprints with 0.1M rec jog and it felt great as long as I ignored the rain. I suspect the warm down bit was quicker than the warm up!
  • Options
    Did an easy 6M today in 52 mins, so nice and gentle. So why did I feel worse than I did yesterday after a hard speed session? Bloody body!
  • Options

Good Luck for this weekends race Peaceman  enjoy Bristol Half image.

Going for a nice steady 13 miler this afternoon over Barr Beacon then a local five in the morning before my full fry up image.

Have a good run all

• Options

Congrats to PM for a cracking time at Bristol Half  today!! image Get on here and show off PM!! image

• Options

Alright RC, if you insist!

Very, very pleased with the Bristol Half yesterday. It was hot and quite windy, blue sky and lots of sun. But managed to finish in 1.38.29, my best Half time for 5 years! I finished 1040th out of 8854 runners which I think puts me inside the top 12% - bloody hell! In my age group I was 61st out of 559. Sorry to write all this but I cant quite believe it!

Anyway, nerdy stats: 7.03, 7.08, 7.11, 7.14, 7.17, 7.06, 7.21, 7.18, 7.26, 7.30, 7.55, 7.56 with the last bit at 7.36. So I started to slow up towards the end but still didnt go over 8.00 so a tad chuffed. My garmin measured 13.3M but thats normal allowing for overtaking, moving across for drinks, etc. The 13.1M is the direct route (wish it had been painted on the road!).

Mind you, Southville's best performance was our guy who finished 80th in 1.19 and our best woman was 127th in 1.22 and was 15th lady. This training must be the right thing to be doing! 

• Options
    Forgot to say that my average pace was 7.25! Woo-hoo!
  • Options

Very quiet on here isnt it?

Club run last night was rough! It was pouring down. Went out along the towpath which was doing a very good impression of a fast-flowing stream, then went up through the woods on Nightingale Valley. That's tough enough in the dry but this was just mud, flowing water and stones. Then up to Ashton Court, round that in the long grass, then on to the track and back down through the deer park. Finally, back onto the road and back to base completely soaked and very muddy! Was a pretty good pace considering - we averaged 8.18m/m but two of us shot off ahead for the last mile. The other guy is much quicker than me and was off but I did the last mile in 6.45! Think I really wanted out of the rain and mud!

So that's enough mud for me this week. I trust lurker and markone will go out on Friday or very early Saturday morning with hairdryers to get rid of any mud in time for the race. That would be lovely.

• Options
    Pman - It's impressive what you can do with dedication and quality training plus some real talent. As you enjoy the training the race times reflect this, it's something I've never ever been able to achieve. I see saw between too little and over training and my race results just get worse and worse. Though after my 2:04 at Wolves I might get back to some training and do better at Solent Half on the 8th Oct. But then the week before last I was just trotting along taking it easy and I had a sharp pain in my instep - with the 18 Mile LDWA Ponton Plod the end of the week to do I was worried.

After icing all week me and carol got round in one piece helped by using our walking boots which don't give in the instep - we knocked a whopping 45 mins of last years time giving us 5:54 and the weather was glorious and the food at the stops even better.

I have managed to get back to training of sorts with a good run Fri and another today, I should have liked to do the Walsall 10K today but instead went to see Amy ride her horse in a show up the Beacon - so I was able to go and see the runners as the turn from the road the the XC part of the course, good job I did as there was just one marshal ,and another OAP at the water stop. They gave me a Hi viz vest and I stood in the road to direct the runners - walsall 10K used to be a great race but it's got worse each year , there were only about 150 running if that.

So it's Solent Half and me struggling over an hour running - I shall have to wing it on the day, but this half is a very clubby event , very few non attached runners. I may be last of I can't get round in under 1:55

• Options

Grizzly 2012 sold out in under 48 hours image glad RC and myself entered on friday night.

Great weekend at the JW again and what a goody bag , must be the best ever for any race. You got a bag for your trainers,towel,drinks bottle,hat for winter running,crisps,drink,selection of creams , think that everything image bloody great.  Ohhh and Peaceman got an award for running all five years of the event a nice hand painted mug, lucky man.Was a great event again and nice to see Prue,Des and Dan put a team together  and many more friendly faces. Well done Denz on running the full 30 miles with Meg.

Glad you had a good time Mike , do like the Ponton Plod was a shame we could not join you.

Where Ravens Dare next on saturday in Wales 26 miles , hope the sun stops out image

Have a good run all

• Options

MH - best thing I did was to join a club. It made the training more structured even though I only go once a week. I know it will be a good session and help me improve. It also means that there are club members around at the weekend for a longer run which is always better if you're not on your own.

Was indeed a lovely weekend and the JW Ultra was great. Very surprised to get that mug even if the photo of me with it is bloody awful! Good to see many old friends.

• Options
    Just seen the results for JW and we were the 5th team out of 25. One better than we thought!
  • Options

Seem to be well into this running lark now! Did a nice 4M on Monday to get the legs moving again. But the club run last night was a killer - a hill session that went on forever. Very tough and the good thing was that even the top runners including the third woman in the Oxford Half and the guy who finished in the top 1% at the Bristol Half thought it was tough. That made me feel a bit better! Dont think I will be sprinting up hills for a while though.

Did a gentle 4M this morning, deliberately taking it easy and still did 34 mins. I really think the club sessions have changed my running. I used to do steady runs of 6-10M at 8 min pace and that was fine. Not too much effort. Now its more like 7.40-7.45 without it feeling like a lot of effort.

RC/TR - have you checked the water bottle from Saturday? I went to use mine but the bottom isnt sealed properly so its knackered! Oh well, it was a great goody bag with lots of other good stuff in it! 

• Options

Only TR

You will just have to run with that nice mug PM nice and steady imageMinnie RC used the bottle for football last night, no probs.Do no what you mean about club runs thoe, we had sprints and indian running tonight which gave the legs a good stretch,very good work out with the stuff you just would not do on your own.It's all good training .

Has anyone else got a place in London next year . the mag came through the post today ???

• Options
    No TR, just you. Nobody else running it at all image
  • Options

Got a  COMMISERATIONS  through the post yesterday image

• Options

Some of the Southville members got in VLM as well. For some reason they are chuffed about it too!

Need to look at my stamina I think, best way to improve at the moment. Did a good run yesterday, started off slow/steady (8.21), then increased the pace for the next 3M (7.45, 7.40, 7.10) then relaxed a bit for the 5th mile (7.56) then put the effort in again for the last mile (7.21). Quite like those changes of pace runs.

No more races until I get a job now but I've already had an email about the Tough Ten for next year.

• Options
    PruePrue ✭✭✭

I got my VLM place too TR image  Dead chuffed, as would be intersting to see what I can do now I've got a bit faster.. Roll on winter training hey!

Well I'm well and truly trashed, completed my first 50 mile fell race Sat/Sun, a fantastic event but the toughest I've ever completed, especailly in the heat!

Good to see you all at the JW the other weekend, as lovely to see so many of us there!

• Options
    Prue - well done on the 50 miler. Cant imagine what it was like. I only did 10M yesterday in the heat and that was enough!
  • Options

Well done Prue on your 50 miler.

Had a nice run round the park last night from Banners full loope of 7.37 miles in 56:18 fastest in about two years i think and into a head wind and rain in the final two miles image.was nice to get a hot shower at home afterwards.

Have a good run all

• Options
    Hi all !

Been busy but got some decent running in , a good ten miler last week in the heat and some midweek runs. Carol was off last week so we got lots of walking in and I feel better for it.

Impressive stuff Prue - I always fancied the Round Rotherham 50 when I was up to it but never got there. To think there was a time when I considered it! I never got to the JW ultra either - a flat 30 would have been easy whne I was upto the killer Doyen of the downs 30 with it's deep mud and towering hills.

Tonight we are off in the van to Calshot in the New Forest for the Solent Half on sunday, I feel fit for it but it's the clubbiest run I've ever seen I'll be one of just a handful in non club colours/ In the past a 1;5o + time would see me at the back , on sunday a near 2 hour time will see me last.

Off now - we go tonight so we can have a full day there tomorrow by the sea!
  • Options

Just as things were going well running-wise, I get a sore throat, cold symptoms and feel crap. Had it for a week or so and havent run since last Sunday. Oh well, I'm fighting it off and will be at hte club tomorrow.

Good luck all.

• Options
    Didnt make it to the club after all. But went out and did a gentle 4M yesterday and a quick 6M today (sub 45 mins!). So getting there.
  • Options

This is starting to look like my own personal training diaryimage. Anyway, I did a really good 10M yesterday. It was a bit warmer than I thought but ran it in 1.15.54 which was great. Did first 5M in 37.46, second 5M in 38.08 for an average pace of 7.35. And didnt feel that I wasa really pushing it.

Hope everyone was running at the weekend and had good uns!

• Options
    Hi all! Pman - you were saying about colds , it's that time of year again , I go into peoples houses and they are sneezing , Carol spends all day in houses, doctors surgeries and the hospital. I feel like wearing a space helmet against it all. I use that alcohol gel after each visit to wash my hands.

I enjoyed the Solent half getting round in a comfortable 1:58 for me given how hilly it gets, I felt fine all the way. The only downside was having to quickly change drink some water then drive 4 hours to get home to pick up Amy , Carol and her were then going to the horse of the year show at the NEC. I was shattered after.

I would have liked to do Bells of Pattingham , done it every year for ages but I didn't enter and it was £20 on the day, given the fuel to get there I just couldn't be bothered getting up early to drive there, I've been driving to Stoke and newcastle under lyme every day of the week and I'm knackered. I ran 11 miles round the canals and woods here instead,

I'm inspired by Pmans training to be honest - I can't really join a club as I work every evening, but having most mornings I have been running 6 mile in the week and a10 mile or less at the weekend and I feel better for it. With Brum Half coming up next week - the number has my name on it and everything! - I feel more prepared than before.

If I was to really commit I think I could do much better , I go to the gym to do core work as well twice a week.
  • Options

Well done MH. It sounds like you're enjoying your running - which is what it's all about really!

Did another tough club session last night. Stamina this week so the sprint/recovery stuff again. In minutes it was 1/1, 2/2, 3/3, 2/2, 1/1, 2/2, 3/3, 2/2, 1/1. So two pyramids running in a loop round Millennium Square, Anchor Road and the Harbourside. Bloody knackering! But it will do me good as stamina is what I'm lacking a bit of in races.