Options

Sub 3:00 FLM 2006

Comments

• Options
    andy watsonandy watson ✭✭✭
    OK Guys can i have an honest opinion.
    26 year old male, ran this years FLM in 3.38 on the back of a total of 250 miles from Xmas onwards. If i train properly do i have a chance of a sub 3 this year or FLM '06

Andy
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I'm a FV40 and my age grading for races done this year are:

5km 77%
    10km 76%
    10 miles 77%
    1/2m 77%
    marathon 77%
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    What times do you do for shorter distance races Andy?
  • Options
    andy watsonandy watson ✭✭✭
    i have not run many this or last year, I am at a 10k tomorrow, aimong for around 42mins i think
  • Options
    I'd think that for sub 3 your 10k needs to be near 38min, and HM 1:25 or less. That doesn't lay it on a plate, as you will need lots of loooong runs bagged the up the stamina. However, youth does have certain advantages, and the rate of improvement is certainly one.
    "Proper training" for me meant 620 miles twixt Christmas and FLM, I guess Hilly exceeded 1000 in the same period.

(Mind you I was talking to a chap recently who is 15+ minutes faster than me at the HM, and does it off 25 mpw. The toad.)
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I tend to have more stamina over the longer distances than speed over the shorter ones.

I think blisters is right though in that you should try and get your 10k and half marathon times down to sub 40 and 1:24. I live in hope!:o)

First 10k PB attempt for me this coming Wed evening. Haven't got a clue what to expect, as I've done no real speed work apart from a few strides since London. Will just have to be patient and see how I feel.
  • Options
    Sorry to bring up that calculator again [but I love it ... ;-) ]

Andy, here are some race time predictions for M26 2:59:59.

I don't see why you can't do it. You'll need to put in lots of miles to realise your potential. My suggestion is to build a solid base from now. Lots of steady miles. If you try to hit your 10k and HM targets too soon you may find your training won't translate into your goal marathon performance.

Just my thoughts anyway. I'm no expert and somebody with more experience may come along with some better advice.

Good luck!
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    RA,
    aaaarrrghhh......i've just put my 5k time trial (3 weeks before flm) into the calculator and i should easily have broken 3hours!!!

my conclusion is that peaking at 7 weeks of 65 miles is not sufficient endurance training...back to the drawing board
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    aw,

if only i was 26 again....plan endurance training early and avoid injury....significant progress will happen....aim for 38 minutes 10k or 84 minutes hm by october.....good luck!
  • Options
    have a dilemma

I know that my best event will be the marathon and I want to run one. Current pb for 10 miles is 1:00:42, which was my first 10 miler and since then my endurance is far stronger. I'm a 17 year old male but will be 18 in December. I want to run that marathon and think I can deal with the training for it, run a few weeks at 70-80 miles and found them fairly easy. However my coach strongly recommends that I don't, he wants me to leave it alone and only start running marathons aged 25 or older. Put in some of my recent times and they came up with a VO2 max of 63.2 and age graded 81.4%. Would i likely break 3 hours next year with the right training and would it be a good idea to try?

Any advice would be much appreciated
  • Options
    Bryn, I've no idea what to advise, but maybe you could ask the question on the Hard Training with Mike Gratton , and see what MG has to say.
  • Options
    nichs2, one thing I've noticed with the race time predictors is that amongst most of the inexperienced runners I know (not suggesting you are) the predictions are not too far out for distances up to HM. Most people blow out on the marathon because they've failed to train appropriately. From what I've seen of MG's schedule, that means lots of miles, mostly at steady pace (is that right, Hilly?).

My first marathon is in 23 weeks, and I'm hoping my buildup will be right and I'll hit my target of 3:20 - errm sorry, just realised I shouldn't be on this thread, should I? ;-)

In my defence, if I do hit my target, my next target will only be 5 minutes or so more than 3 hours in Paris next year ...
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    RA, I agree that lots of steady miles in training builds the endurance needed to keep the pace over the marathon.

I've gone from a 3:26, to 3:14 to 3:06 by building up to 70+ miles of easy running over 18 weeks from a base of 40 miles previous to this. That got me 3:14, then for 3:06 I already had my base at 70 miles so was able to maintain that mileage for the full 18 weeks with specific marathon speed sessions in the final 4 weeks of the training.

I personally feel anyone who follows MG's training plan won't go far wrong. It's worked for me twice and what he's told me has been pretty much spot on!

Bryn, personally I'd say your coach is right telling you to wait a few more years. I'm sure you've got more to come in the shorter distances and the extra speed you gain will be an advantage when you eventually take up the marathon. I'm no expert either!

Go ask Mike G as suggested by RA, he's very helpful and has the experience with a past of elite running.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I've just posted a question to Mike as I'd be interested to what he thinks about running marathons at 18:o)
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    RA,

thanks for the comments. i am absolutely clear that lots of steady miles are crucial. my problem in the past has been a very gradual build up without getting injured (previously peaking at 55 miles), which is why this year i am trying to focus as early as possible on flm 2006...

bryn, enjoy the speed of youth!!...endurance is all i have to hang on to...
  • Options
    Okay, I'm going to have a pop at this.

I was training for FLM2005 for 3:15 and was well on target, including a hilly and snowy half in 1:25:51 (my 10K PB is 37:40). Then my knee went to buggery, perhaps due to overaccelerated training.

I'm back on the road now, with no ill effects. I'm running the Leeds Half this weekend, although it'll probably just be as a training run. The plan is to increase the mileage very gradually for the next few months and really nail my base strength. Then I can reintroduce some speed when it's necessary, or train for specific shorter races while keeping a weekend long run.

If all goes well I may enter Abingdon and aim for a GFA place, failing that I have a Golden Bond place left over from last year.

Does this sound sensible to the more experienced among you?
  • Options
    You won't get a GFA place via Abingdon. If I remember rightly, Abingdon is traditionally run on the Sunday AFTER FLM entries close (on the preceding Friday). That was certainly the case last year. If you want to get a GFA place from an autumn marathon, Cardiff or Nottingham (Robin Hood) are usually the popular choices.
  • Options
    They haven't announced the GFA cutoff dates yet for next year (as far as I'm aware), but Cardiff is a week later this year than it was last year. So assuming the GFA date doesn't change much, Cardiff won't be any good this year either. Makes it very difficult to find a good autumn marathon!
  • Options
    What does anyone know about Leicester? That's just a fortnight before Abingdon.
  • Options
    Bryn, have you seen MG's response? It seems to be consistent with the general consensus out there, including your coach.

You're hanging out on this forum where everybody's lots older than you. Most of us are past it, in running terms. We compete for ourselves. You're a much better runner than most people here on the RW forums, and you've still got lots of time. Be patient - it's hard, I'm sure.

Why don't you set yourself some aggressive goals to achieve over the next few years? Say, 32:00 10k, 52:00 10m, and 70:00 HM? You might even start winning some local races. They would be fantastic times, and if you can get close to them then forget sub-3, go for 2:30!

• Options
    Bryn, just saw your response over on the other thread. I'll be interested in hearing the response. Good luck with it all. I'm sure we'll be seeing you on the elite starting line over the coming years.
  • Options
    What races are people targetting over the summer & autumn? I'm just formulating my own plans, including several insignificant pot hunting ones...!
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    blisters,

gaddesby this weekend....then southend, borehamwood, dorking, dartford

these are all half marathons and should keep things ticking over...i still haven't refocused my training properly yet

base training building for high milage for abingdon and then flm 2006....or a bit of speed and strength work???....motivation is low at the moment and i still have a couple of niggles after the flm
  • Options
    I'm doing Leeds this weekend, but taking it pretty easy; no PB assaults planned. The next race I've got planned after that is a 5k, because I've never done one before. Then it's base training over the summer, with occasional races whenever they're handy. Nothing above half til Abingdon.
  • Options
    I've got a 10k set up for 23 May, and RACE THE TRAIN in late August (desired). A pre-Cardiff HM is needed 4 weeks out.

Family situations may change plans at short notice though... we await. :-(
  • Options
    Just had a very enjoyable Canterbury half. Just paced a friend round who wanted a sub 1:30 and eneded up with a 1:28:10 - felt like jogging having done much of the last 4 weeks at sub-6 minute mile pace for shorter races and speed sessions.

It wan't a PB course, but I'm confident that in my current form I could have pushed for a very low 1:2x - as it was I'm happy to treat half marathons as my long, slow runs to last me until July, when I'll commence my Berlin marathon preperations...
  • Options
    I plodded round the Leeds half, all out of form, yesterday. I'm suffering for it a bit now, but it's nice to get back out there again. My endlessly troublesome knee seems to have survived: time to get fit again.
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    gaddesby 1/2 at 5pm on saturday. i achieved just under 88'on an undulating (hilly!) course. i ran steady to hard, but not eyeballs out; so overall i feel ok.

i may use half marathons to maintain/ gauge my fitness over the summer, but i keep changing my plans every other day...

motivation is returning!!
  • Options
    I'm off to run the Vienna City Marathon this weekend, 5 weeks after my 3.05 PB at London so keep an eye out for me in the results when they come out.

There are 6,500 runners and only about 1% are British, so you should be able to find me.

If you still can't spot me then as an extra clue, Dull Napoleon is an anagram of my real name.

I hope to target sub 3 but the weather forecast is looking horrendously hot, so anything better than 3.15 will keep me happy.

It's a real pity, because I think I'm in better nick now than I was for the FLM. Such is life!
  • Options
    Best of luck in Vienna Naps.

I have been out for a '4-week party' since FLM; a shocking 35 miles in the bag over the past 4 weeks.

Went out to cheer some friends in the Halstead Marathon yesterday and was itching to get out there again. Will start building things up this week in anticipation of an 18 week 70mpw Pfitzinger & Douglas programme and an autumn sub-3 attempt.

In the meantime will target those 10k and Half pb's.

Happy running all ...