Options

Sub 3:00 FLM 2006

Comments

• Options
    RB - Congrats on the sub-3 - I'd be very suprised should they move the goal posts now.

I guess it was you I was talking to going into Westminster tube after the FLM -not sure if you remember - first going down the stairs, just to find another staircase going back up - I'm sure they'll be playing the CCTV footage on some annoying TV program :(
  • Options
    Hail Hail

JEJ - I've got a vague memory of talking to somebody in Westminster tube, but the staircase thing aint ringing any bells. I still had on my running kit (blue vest with saltire cross underneath race no.) and a blue rucksack. Is that any help?
    The FLM website says that sub3 is good enough for FLM 06, but the phone call has put me on the back foot. I think that I'm just going to blag it, and send in my GFA entry now anyway. If they change the times in Aug (I wouldnt think by more than 5 mins), I've still got Loch Ness to try for.
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Actually, the more I think about it, the more the story about the up/down thing is coming back to me. Cant for the life of me remember owt about you though. Sorry. You must have made a huge impact on me. Either that or I was too wrapped up in my own wee world!!
  • Options
    RB - WELL DONE ! Must be such a buzz after getting so close in Paris, and chasing the goal for months.

Gutted that the GFA goal posts may be shifting. My plan of aiming for sub 3 in autumn (Cardiff) in quest of a FLM2006 GFA place may well have been blow out of the water !

I fear that sub 2:55 is probably asking too much off my current pb of 3:05.
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Crater - nothng confirmed yet. Just a wifie at FLM switchboard telling me this. Whens Cardiff? Sep I think. Still aim at sub3. I did my first in Oct in 3.06, so anything is poss for you!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    There are lots of GFA categories, my gut feeling is that the sub 3hr target for 40 or under males is tight enough as it is. They changed it to 3hrs from 3:15 only a couple of years ago!

A couple of the ladies in my club feel that the sub 3:45 qualifiying time for women is looking more than a little generous next to the men's target. My prediction (though I hope I am wrong) is that this may be tightened up.

Excellent run RB, well done indeed.
  • Options
    Well done indeed RB.
    Personally, I wondered why they stuck to intervals pegged upon the 15 minute markers. Each one's a huge jump as you get faster.
    I agree with Wardi that the 3:45 is generous for women, especially when compared to the leading female athletes. A 15 minute difference between the sexes seems to be more appropriate (IMHO).
    If anything, the male category needs spreading out a bit, as the age range bracket of 40 to 60 is somewhat unfair on 50 y/o athletes.

OK off now for a run.
  • Options
    Ouch. Only did a 5 miler but it dragged. I hated every pace of it. At least the miles are bagged. My next run will probably be a "floater"....here's hoping.
  • Options
    TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    They haven't really changed the GFA again have they?
  • Options
    There's a rumour that they're about to, but when I checked the site earlier this week it just said 2006 details will be published soon.
  • Options
    Hail Hail

I didnt see anything about that when I looked, so I'm just going to blag it an apply now with my Edinburgh sub3 and hope for the best.
    Looked at NY site last night, and their qualification time for under 40 males is 2.50!! Or a 1.21 half which is a bit more realistic. So maybe FLM are playing catch-up.
  • Options
    Running Bhoy

Well done on the sub 3. Must be a great feeling.

Coincidentally I checked the NY website over40 GFA is sub 3.05 and sub 1.28 for the half. I think it gets up to 3.15 if your over 50.

I think running sub 3.15 (GFA London) for a 40 year old is no big deal, but for someone 59 it is all but impossible so I wouldn't be surprised if that gets tidied up and falls in line with NY.

I don't think they should give limits for HM's. It is a completely different sort of race, as we all know.

I've just booked in for Cardiff 9th Oct as my next run out. It's fast, flat, with great water stations. They've even put in an extra carb station for this year. Ran 3.06 last year on a whim which got me into London, expect to to much better this time, as I will be much better prepared.

Probably will not do London next year, but that is another story I will not bore you all with.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    RB,

Excellent news. Tell us what this exclusive club is like won't you? 3 marathons in 2 months, you must feel like a break.

The London Marathon people have just called to clear something up, so as a 40 year old (41 for next FLM) I will be able to get a GFA on the strength (?) of my 3:00:57 - which is a relief

DN,

Will see you in Cardiff. Just booked up with the out of town centre Holiday Inn - the one with the pool - £54 for a family room with breakfast - a bargain.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Wardi, I agree the women's GFA of 3:45 is rather generous compared to the men's and wouldn't be surprised to see it tightened, especially as we see more and more women racing.

• Options
    I'm sat down, sulking, with my knee iced up - my self-diagnosis is a meniscal tear, possibly related to the problems which converted me from a Team GB swimmer to student-layabout over the past 7 or so years.

Planning to hold off on running and cycling for a week, concentrate on swimming for a change (first triathlon of the year next month anyway so no bad thing) and see how I feel for the Runnymede Relays on the 25th - don't fancy doing a 20 miler tomorrow if the weather is similar to today so it may be a good plan anyway - Actually felt light headed from dehydration after 12 or so hill reps this morning - and that was before 9am!
  • Options
    Ouch Ouch

Thanks for the tip on the Holiday Inn. Sounds a great deal, as I'm bringing the wife and kids, like I did last year.

JEJ

Sorry to hear about the injury. I hope it's nothing to serious and clears up before Berlin.
  • Options
    I think I love my physio... The problem is with my over pronation twisting my kneecap - possibly related to smashing my knee when I came off my bike a few months back.

I had a serious amount of tension along the outside of my right leg (amazed a sports masseur couldn't spot this) and am seriously lacking in core stability.

A couple of rest days, modification to my streches and some more core work should do the trick. Suddenly I'm the happiest person in the office!!
  • Options
    I'll be a bit frustrated if they make the qualifying standard lower again, but assuming the date for receipt of GFA letters is unchanged I should at least have Berlin to have a crack at the time.

RB - good luck with the half at the weekend - I've still not run since Edinburgh - enjoying the break but starting to feel the need for hard training again!
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Wa-aay mate. Good to see the new photo up. Started training again on th Tues after Edinburgh. Gentle 5k followed by a couple of 10ks then a 10M. Speedwork this week in prep for EK half.
    How was the Prague break? Lots of cheap beer I hope! Back on wagon til 3rd July (half in Brittany), then gallons of cidre fermier. Maybe! Will email photos to you asap.
  • Options
    Hail Hail

New half pb of 1.22.50 after today at East Kilbride. Good race. Reccommended.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done RB, that's a great time!
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Cheers Hilly. Was looking for 1.21 to qualify for NY but legs still heavy after Edinburgh. Still.....next time.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    That's the spirit! I can only dream of that kind of time!

Was that Edinburgh marathon? How many marathons do you do a year?
  • Options
    New shorter distance PB to report:

5.3 miles in 30:29, passing 5 miles in 28:40.

Very chuffed by the fact I did it in a club handicap race whilst still carrying a knee injury.

Now for some endurace before the Berlin marathon...
  • Options
    Training for the sub 3 has commenced properly now that I've got a 20 miler under my belt again.
  • Options
    Am i alone (again)?
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    blisters,

No!!...you are not alone....

Pleae keep updating how things are going.
    I have not been posting, because I've been ticking over with some base training (35- 40 mpw)

Also, I am going into hostpital on Monday for an ear operation. They are going to remove one of the bones. It's fairly serious and I know I will be out of action for weeks/months (my right ear was done for years ago)...you lose all sense of balance after the op.

Anyway, keep up the training and keep us posted......onwards and upwards.....
  • Options
    nichs - really sorry to hear about your operation - can imagine you're not looking forward to it...

I have no updates worthy of note, except for a 20 miler on Sat, 120 mile cycle on Sun, 14 miles on Mon and Tues (4 sessions) and a slow 9 miler yesterday. Ver pleased with the running this week as on Mon and Tues I passed HM distance in well under 90mins on both occasions - I never used to be able to motivate myself like that in training. I think my 2 easy weeks forced by injury may have been what my body needed - the pace is coming along very nicely now.

I have a league 5km race tonight, but am planning a steady 5 at lunch and will run 3 - 4 miles to the start so not anticipating anything special - anything around (hopfully under) 18 mins will please me given a heavy training week.

I'm now a regular on the Berlin Marathon forum in the events section - there are several sub 3 hopefuls on there too.
    JEJ
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Nichs - Best wishes and think that your 'ticking over' statement is the right phrase for me now.

blisters - 20 miles, I'm impressed.

Somehow did 60+ miles last week but no 20 milers yet, did touch 18 last week. Need to do some soon for Cardiff in Oct. My priority is to increase my average mpw to 60, up by 10 from my pre-London average, to get under the time, this years main running aim. Probably time for a 20 miler this w/e.
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    ouchouch,

I had wanted to do some faster work over the summer, but that will not now be possible. this may be good news, because I should be totally rested and injury free in my marathon build up.

My target is to build up to be running 70 mpw as a base by the start of november...then follow the p-doug 24 week programme to london.

The key will be recovering from the ear op and running decent miles again by August (fingers crossed).