Options

Amsterdam - Marathon, Half n 10K

Comments

• Options
    Capricorn well done on your race and absolutely spot pacing. How did you find it or did I miss your report somehow?

• Options
    Apparently Haile had troubles with wind in the second half of the race too (off the Amstel, I mean). He reached halfway in a mere 62.03, a full minute ahead of Paul Tergat's Berlin WR pace, and was still ahead of schedule when pulling away at 30K and also at 35K, but the wind had taken too much out of him. Typical runner-full of excuses!

He also suggested the race would be better to be run at 9.00 rather than 11.00.

Still ran the fastest time in the world this year though.
  • Options
    9:00 start, that's what I said from the beginning!! 11:00 is much too late, causes food concerns/problems for me and it gets too WARM!! Obviously all US elite athletes think in the same way ;-)

Well done, some cracking runs, glad it's not all disappointment :-)
  • Options
    Thanks Jane. I had a very good run (my report a few pages back) and thoroughly enjoyed the whole event - route (some of the long stretches of road were a bit boring), crowds, stadium, weather, the lot.
    My first visit to Amsterdam too - a great city.
    We saw Sue Harrison (who came 3rd) on the same flight as us last night and the pilot congratulated her during the flight.

Very Cheeky Spider - I'll try harder next time :-)
  • Options
    Pleased to hear it Capricorn :-) Seriously though, well done on your split times-amazing to hit them spot on.Even the elite runners don't manage that!
  • Options
    What i could not understand was that the half had to start at 2.30pm, yet all other races were in the morning. In fact Haille nearly finished his marathon with the last 10k runner. How is it they allow a 10k runner over 2 hours to complete, yet half marathoners have limit of 2 and half?! Surely they could cap the 10k time and start the half in morning.
    There was shambles when kids race and 10k runners were finishing same time, but different funnels too!
  • Options
    Hi guys .What a great weekend .well done to those running the marathon.
    Bit of a poor performance running wise by myself and shame about the flight being cancelled on the way home ,but the rest of the weekend was fabulous.Thought everyone was so friendly and the races seemed well organised.I have been sent my results through for the half already.
    Nice to see some of you in the restaurant and afterwards at the Tara bar.
    Hope that you have recovered well Nigel,sorry you didn't get the time you were after but best of luck with your future marathons.
    Cracking time notpete,are you still grinning??
    Nice to meet you slow coach bill,hope you got back safely,I think you vanished somewhere on route.
  • Options
    what a great race. fantastic organisation.
    Does anyone know of any other European city that hosts a marathon and half on the same day?
  • Options
    Tequila - if the full and half had overlapped any more, the congestion would have been worse. The 10K could be got out of the way before the marathon finish without any overlap and there was no reason for a strict cut-off, whereas for the half/full, they needed to get the roads open. I'm not sure how the kids' run worked, but full marks to the organisers for putting one on.

I don't think they could have scheduled the relative times any better, though maybe they could all have started a couple of hours earlier for the sake of the marathoners. It was cool enough for the half-ers, and as I'd got my hydration right I didn't need a drink, but in the marathon such things are crucial.
  • Options
    Swerve, the kids run and 10k was shambles at finish was pretty chaotic, plus marathoners were coming into stadium on the 1st loop with 10k and kids too all pretty chaotic.
    I think the marathoners should have started about 9am, then half runners could have started about 11. I didn't find it too congested on the half once out of the start area. If the half was started earlier and still with cut off then roads would be able to open earlier allowing people to get home. We had about 2 mile walk to and from race. On the whole it was well organised, just not used to running in the afternoon, so eating plan was a bit hit and miss!
  • Options
    Julia - Reims in France has marathon, half and 10k same day. approx 16,000 runners in mid late October.
  • Options
    Ooh, didn't know that about the stadium chaos thing, Tequila - I'd be seething if I'd ended up going the wrong way. But I think we're agreed on the 9am/11am thing - marathon people, are you listening? ;-)

I was dodging round people continually until the last 5K - next time I'll learn the Dutch for "excuse me", "coming through", "sorry" and "thanks"! As I said, it was probably a good thing as it distracted me from any suffering, but I don't think I'd like to dodge any more marathoners.
  • Options
    Well done to all runners. Sorry to here about your mishaps RA and WP.
    Godd to meet up with some of you for the meal the night before.
    Started off in the 1.55 pacing group (was that you I was with Chubbycheeks?) and was ok up to about 13k but I got boxed in coming up to the turning point and couldn't fight my way back to the group. I knew it wasn't good when the 2.00 pacing group overtook me at about 15k and couldn't keep up with them either. Finally got in in 2.06.30 and a tear in my eye as I crossed the line
  • Options
    A few comments on the organisation.
    14.30 was a bit too late to start the half.
    I thought that there was water every 5k but there was too big a gap from the third one at 12.5 and the last one at 19.5.
    The water stations were a bit chaotic.
    Great to be able to get a shower at the end (and the water was hot)
    Pity that the T shirt doesn't say Half marathon as well - I was being congratulated in my local last night for doing the marathon and I got a bit fed up explaining that I'd only done a half.

overall though I enjoyed(??) it and hope to be back next year.
  • Options
    Hi Musketeer sorry to have lost you ,glad you finished ok though well done,another medal to add to the collection.
    I lost the pacer at a chaotic water station too around the same time .Did 2:02 (after having to walk around 16k for a km ot 2) which i was disappointed with but I think the weaving in and out of peeps and then having to sprint to find the pacer coupled with dehydration caused this .Remind me which half is next for you?
  • Options
    CC - great to meet you and DG Sat. eve. I didn't see the pacers until they went past me at one point and although it was the 2 hour one it was going far too quick for me. Having said that i still managed to finish only 10 mins behind!
    Very well done on your time, what did DG do? She is practically elite with her times, can't believe she's only been running about a year!
    Maybe we'll see you in prague next spring then?!

• Options
    Hi CC
    Next one is Stroud this Sunday.
    Got to Tara at about 18.10 but didn't recognise any one so left and went to the Ij (sp?) brewery. It is out by windmill thta we ran past near the turning point and as it is closed on Mondays it was my only chance to getb there.
  • Options
    Anyone intrested in Reims next year we will be running a trip from the midlands next year details on www.staffordshirerunning.co.uk later tonite or give me a e-mail at micktherunner@aol.com
  • Options
    Well done everyone on your dedication and perseverance and some great times! - I hope you all enjoyed the weekend as much as CC and me - I just want to go back and do it all again - even the second half of that marathon -even though it was tough at the time!
    WP and RA - sorry to hear that it wasn't your day - hopefully it will make your next sucesses all the more pleasurable!
    Great to meet everyone at the restaurant and at the Tara Bar -the excellent company deffinetly helped make the weekend - nice to know there are other crazy people out there ! ;-)
  • Options
    Nigel from the block and Tequilla - you have both made very flattering comments - but I can assure you I am far from elite !!

Pseudo -thanks for organising the restaurant etc. great choice - sorry we missed you at the Tara bar - we were late again!Good luck with your next two mara's - your poor legs! After running two mara's a month apart - I am totally in awe of your determination to still go ahead with all four !

Tequilla I hope you enjoyed your race - unfortunatley I went out to quickly - did my first half in 1.43.14 - but then my quads really tightened(memories of the New Forest mara) and I stopped about 5 times -but luckily I met a very supportive Irish guy who helped me keep going over the last 12k so I managed a pb of 3.34 - not quite the 3.30 I was hoping for still thrilled though - guess it gives me something to aim for at FLM 06.

So what's next for everyone?
  • Options
    Hi DG. Good to meet you and CC Saturday night. And well done on your crackin' time - you should be pleased with that :-)

Can you believe I think me and Prue are thinking of following your example and having another go in a month or two? We didn't get the times we hoped for, and it seems to make more sense to try - on the back of all the training we've just put in. What running did you do between your 2? Do you think one month was too soon?

Can't believe I'm asking these questions. For the entire Sunday we were adamant that we were NEVER running a marathon again. By the Monday we were just going to wait a year or 2. And now we're thinking of doing it before the end of the year!!

That is, unless Prue is having me on :-)
  • Options
    Hi Juicer- the insanity is catching! I think 4 weeks may have been a little soon personally - reason being once I got past half way mark my legs felt it -as my longest run for the 3 weeks before had been 12 miles - I think 6 weeks should be about ideal - gives you a chance to build back up the long runs a little between recovery and taper. I'll e-mail you through schedule I followed later
  • Options
    So wish we could have joined you in tara bar, after lovely meal with my parents we went back and packed, by 10.30 were asleep. It's an age thing - once you're tagged a vet you start to think you really are old!!!
  • Options
    Cheers DG. Yeh, instinctively I agree with you. I was thinking in terms of 6 - 8 weeks maybe. 4 weeks to take it easy and recover, a 20 miler and then another taper.

Look forward to seeing the schedule you send through.
  • Options
    I'm just back in as we took a few days holiday after the marathon.

I enjoyed it and set a PB of 31 seconds! I had been hoping for 4:15 but came in at 4:22:23. I felt very thirsty at about 33k and walked thru the remaining water stations taking at least 2 cups of water. I've never had to do that before in eitehr training or a run.

Overall, i enjoyed it. the bit down the Amstel was very pretty. I think I even saw the Ajax stadium. Sorry I didn't meet up with anyone - maybe next time?
    I was very impressed by the RW pacers. I stuck with tem till clsoe to 30k. Steady as could be on the pacing.

Sue
  • Options
    SueW well done your PB and glad to hear you enjoyed your race.
  • Options
    There's a little bit of information on the training pages about this [i.e. running another marathon]. It says "All you need is 2 - 3 weeks of recovery, 2 weeks of normal marathon training and 2 weeks to taper again". Simple! No problem! Where's the marathon on the 11th December?
  • Options
    My first and last marathon. I really enjoyed it but was so focused i didn't realise I had run in the stadium three times until someone told me two days later. I hoped to run a 3:15 but wouold have been happy with a 3:30. Managed to sneak a 3:14 so at least I never have to run another one again. The last 10Km was very grim. I passed about 2 people per Km screaming at the side of the road whilst trying to stretch. I ran with a 3:15 pacing group which became me and one of the pacers as there were 2 other guys who wanted to press on at 38Km so the other pacer wnet with them. The pacing was fantastic as I was only passed by a handful of people in the last 10K but managing to pass people all the time throu the park and on to the finish.
    No more targets now.... maybe a sub-1:20 half.
  • Options
    Hi Nigel,Notpete,DG & CC had a great time at Taras bar.
    Have decided to enter Majorca marathon on Dec 11 to try and get under 4.30 ,dont want to let all the training go to waste.