Options

Sub 3:15 FLM 2006

Comments

• Options
    Hi All

Great to get back into a Flora thread again. Joined the sub 3'30 for this years run and finished in 3'16'42. Shame about the porta loo stop and a St Johns ambulance guy who stepped infront of me at Westminster! Might have got into 2006 atomatically had they not delayed me!

Running a base of 35/40 miles a week with some hills and reps on Club nights. Going across to mid Wales to Race the Train 20th August. See how a tough 14+ miler feels. Madness or what?
  • Options
    Hi gang
    It's been quiet here. Have you all been on holiday or something? [Blisters ducks the flying brickbats].

Swanny: glad to hear it. Please say that you're keeping it up. I got some feedback from teh Quack's that says that even if you have smoked for 20 years, quitting will make for significant health improvements from that point forwards. I guess it's cumulative.

Ergo: Remember that running is fun. Especially afterwards! You have worked out that there are 3 more sessions that could be developed from the one you did.
    1) Do the 3 x 1 mile at a faster, but still consistent pace. 6:10? 6:05?
    2) Make it 5 x 1 mile reps. If the pace drops off noticably, then you're not getting max benefit.
    3) Make it 3x 1.5 reps at same pace.
    Personally I'd go for 1 and/or 2.
    Option 3 sounds like a variation on a 5 k race. Shall we call that option 4?

4) Tinpot 5k, 3 mile, 4 mile, 5 mile, 10k races. Absolutely fantastic training.

David L
    Racing the Train? See you there! I'll be number 230, wearing a Severn AC vest, and my trademark white headband. I'm nervous.
  • Options
    David and Blisters

I'm racing the train too.

Number 227. Green Reading Road Runners top.

See you there.
  • Options
    not had much to comment on really due to fact this is only the start of my 4th week back after 6 weeks off
    started to take the wife out in the evenings on a very easy run as I am able to run in the morning
    just got upto to 12m on my long run with total mileage of 35m looking to get to 15m long run by end of month and sustain that and then work on some speed aiming for 50m weekly total by end of October to start using as a base for London
    anyone in GFA had a reply yet?
  • Options
    Hi all,

Been away on holiday for 2 weeks so knuckling back down to it now that the entry form has been sent off.

I've been holding an average 40+ mpw, with a lot of off road in preparation for the Essex Way Relay (an 81 mile team trail race) on 4th September where I have a 10.5m undulating leg starting at 11:30 so hope it is not too hot.

Glad to see Paul and Susie back in training. Good luck to all the train racers, sounds like fun ;-)
  • Options
    Hi All

Variable trail run yesterday, 14/15 miles, few testing hills, oh the glories of the Chilterns! Club night tonight but think I shall take it easy.

Don/Blisters, great that you are Racing the Train. I'm number 495, green Chiltern Harriers vest. Have you run it before? I did the 10k couple of years ago having not run for years. It's that got me started again. Are you going to the evening bash?I'll look out for you guys.

Run well and enjoy, it's why we do it!

• Options
    running-blade,

I was also waiting on a reply to my GFA letter that I sent off on 21st July. So, being the impatient person that I am, I phoned FLM yesterday; the very helpful chap there checked all of my details, went in search of my letter to be sure they'd received it, & then called me back to confirm that FLM will be writing to me, (& all GFA's as well I suppose), sometime during October.

I hope this info. helps you,

Regards,

TTT.
  • Options
    TTT whats the number so I can call to confirm thanks for the info
  • Options
    running-blade,

The FLM No. I called is: 0207 902 0200. Initially you'll here a pre-recorded message, then you'll be asked to select one of the stated options!!

But it's really not as bad as it may sound, I wasn't kept on hold at all & the entire call was no longer than 5 mins.

Hope that it's the same for you & that you can get things sorted out.

Regards,

TTT.
  • Options
    I'd say that it's not worth bothering them at the moment. They have a job to do, and we're not speeding that job up by interfering.

I'm a GFA Certainty, and I've heard nowt. But I'm not expecting it either.

I'll be there in the evening of Train W/e. I trust that one can get tickets/access readily on the day prior, as I don't appear to have got that bit sorted yet.
    Race entry= tick
    Train ticket= tick
    Pi55up = ermmmmmm
  • Options
    thing is blisters I am lacking a bit of motivation at the moment and think that news for London will do the trick
    I know its 8 months away but thats only twice as far month wise from when I ran it last and they have flown by
  • Options
    RB
    If you realy want to run London [[[Waves Fairy Wand]]] then you shall.

Here's what you need to do...
    Believe in yourself.
    Set out your stall.
    Choose your charity.
    Formulate a fundraising plan, and go for it full tilt. Don't *iss about, it needs to be professional. Identify what you could get , and from where, and when. Work out who to approach, and how. Break it down into smaller chunks. £1700? No. It's £200/month. No, it's £50/week. That's relatively simple.

Now when you tell your chosen charity that you want a Golden Bond place, and that you are already halfway there, the ticket's in the bag. In fact, if you are nervous, you could fundraise up front for 2 charities, and keep the options open.

PS, my consultancy fees are really quite reasonable.....

• Options
    blisters thanks for the advice
    now about that fairy wand does it do lottery numbers
  • Options
    I know Ive been saying that im lacking in a bit of motivation but it is coming back thanks mainly to the wife the reason being she has just started running over the last few weeks took her on a short little hill run the effort and the commitment she showed just to complete it made me so proud of her makes me realise what you need to succeed grit determination and a loving family
  • Options
    SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone.

Good to hear that things are going well for most of you . Well done on retrieving your motivation, r-b and congratulations to Blisters for spectacularly beating the train the other day. I was gutted to have to withdraw from the event but aim to be there next year, albeit I still expect the train will beat me!

My injury appears to be healing at last, and it looks as though a few trips to the physio may be all that’s now required (as opposed to the worst-case scenario of a key-hole op). I’m gradually building up the miles again but have decided to give Berlin a miss. It’s disappointing, but I didn’t want to risk injury again simply by jogging round, so I shall have to be content to spectate. – the b/f is hoping for a time around 2:30 and another friend is going for a sub-2:40 Commonwealth Games qualifying time for Scotland.

Anyway, I ran 6 miles the other night without pain and post-run inflammation in my knee, and will do similar tomorrow. I’m hoping to be race-fit by mid October, the plan being to run my club’s 10k at tempo pace in early October, and then have a crack at the Cabbage Patch 10 – hopefully see you at both, Paul!
  • Options
    Hi All

Back from racing the train although unlike Blisters and Don One, it beat me by about 2 mins. Well done you guys, great running, I know how tough it was! Think I was 4th in my age group but still waiting for the results to be put up on the web site. Sorry to have missed you both at the start and evening. Got a birthday and family visiting this week so easy training runs before getting back to more serious stuff!!

Good to be back.

• Options
    I'm still on a high :-)))))
  • Options
    My legs still ache!

Still its taper time :)
  • Options
    10k race tonight...funny, the legs were missing a bit of zip. Nearly a minute off pb, but 39:27 on the track is not a bad training session. It got me a County age group medal though. (They give them away down here)
  • Options
    SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Well done, Blisters - if I'd tried to beat that train I think I'd still be having difficulty in trying to walk....
  • Options
    Hi SB,

I'm up for both races :-) I've signed up for Cabbage Patch 10 and will definitely be at the club 10k on first weekend, not to mention the XC series ! :-)

See you at the club soon (should be there the week after next, if not before :-) )

• Options
    hi all

I've taken the plunge again and sent off the form, just need to keep going until december and wait for the cheque cashing thread to start.

if I dont get in I intend to run Paris, is anybody else considering this ?
  • Options
    hi all well its 6 weeks running now from a 6 week layoff
    just started back on the track today with
    6 x 400 (1min 30 sec each) and 3 x 800(3min 30s)forgot how hard they where 15 -20 secs slower on my 400 and 800 from earlier in the year so plenty of room for improvement
    not going to beat myself up about them as I know it will take a few weeks to get back in to the swing
    planning Retford half on 25th
    anyone heard yet re GFA
  • Options
    This thread is dead, Zed.

Boing.
  • Options
    swanny u appear to be right, not much activity.

FLM base training starts as soon as I recover from the GNR, I knocked over 3 minutes of my best crossing the line at 1:34:22.

I believe that gives me a FLM time of 3:16 if all goes to plan or a bit faster.

Hope everyone elses training has been going well:)
  • Options
    There must be more people hoping for <3.15 than this? Where are you? I am posting on the sub 3 board aswell but at the moment this is my rightful place.

Am running abingdon next month and hoping for sub 3.15 but have an achilles problem at the moment so havent run for 5 days. How is everyone else?

Echo, echo, echo
  • Options
    Posted the entry, I'll now just have to sit and wait.

I've started doing a bit more running now. After a summer of training for race walking I've a fair level of fitness but it's got to be sport specific.

I did a fitness test over my usual hilly 4,5 mile course and came in 32.12 with an average HR of 158. Back in Feb it was 31.00 with a HR of 156. So a bit of work to do.

I've a few races to before Christmas, The Gold Hill run, The Sticler and 3 Chiltern League meetings.

Good luck with the Achilies "Swanny". If I can help at all just ask (I'm a Sports Therapist)
  • Options
    Hello all,

Not dead, just resting zzzzzzzzzzzz......

A few recent niggles and a family holiday led to August & September being step back/easier months for me.

In the circumstances 2 surprisingly good runs in the last 2 weeks in the Essex Way relay (despite 28c and strong sunshine) to finish my leg of 10.1 hilly miles in 4th place in about 73 mins and then at Ingatestone 5m where I was within a second or 2 of my PB, 32:15, on another hilly course.

Saffron Walden 10k this week with club championship points at stake, one more 10 miler in mid Oct and then start to build base and wait for the dreaded magazine to drop on the doormat.
  • Options
    Ran just inside 1:27 at New Forest Half last Sunday

According to the RW's Race Time Predictor, I'm on for 3:01:15

On target at the moment
  • Options
    Good on you Cookie. Get yourself on the sub 3 forum! Well done. Was that a PB?

Good Luck NT in your 10k.

The wait for the magazine is agonising isnt it? What annoys me is the acceptance ones come out much earlier than the rejections and having been rejected the last 4 years im used to various work colleagues coming in to say they have got in whilst i wait by the letterbox for the next few days, gradually realising i have failed in my ballot entry again. If i fail this year that will be 5 on the trot and i will get guaranteed entry for '07!
    Still managed to run this year though through a charity.

Pizza Man - It wont take long to get back into it. Excellent to hear about your profession. Thanks for your offer of assistance, i will e-mail you later!