Options

Sub 3:15 FLM 2006

Comments

• Options
    Well done on your PB NT. SB and me decided to concentrate on the High Wycombe half last Sunday. SB finished feeling very positive and injury free,(for once), but I had a terrible run.
    I did say SB was injury free, until we went for a cycle ride in the afternoon. She came off and now is nursing two badly bruised and cut knees and bruised ribs.

Get well soon SB!
  • Options
    Ouch, sorry to hear that TB/SB. I don't know, you active people are always getting knocks, Sunday sat with a cool beer in my back garden passed off without incident for me! ;-)
  • Options
    SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Thanks, NT and well done on your new PB! I have a lot of catching up to do...

Feeling pretty sore at the mo after mis-judging a corner on a steep downhill, but it did mean that I had an excuse to go to a very nice country pub and drink some cool beers whilst TB went off to fetch the car;-)

On the positive side, I'm definitely beginning to reap the benefits of the cycling. I treated the High Wycombe Half as an LSR - just as well considering the heat and hills - but I'm now finding that I'm overtaking runners on the inclines rather than them overtaking me.

So, this week I'm aiming to do a mixture of swimming and deep water running, then hopefully I'll be back on track next week.
  • Options
    Hello

Can I rejoin this thread? I just missed out on sub 3:15 this year, coming in at 3:15:56 after being on target for 3:10 till the 23 mile mark. Since the race though, I've been laid up with a hip injury which has refused to get better. Now, I'd like to say that I've been pursuing alternative training methods, spending hours every week in an aqua jogger, lifting weights, on the bike etc etc, but, er, I haven't. My fitness has drained away in exact proportion to the growth in my taste for fried lunches and I now find myself a stone and a half over running weight. On the plus side, my injury seems to have healed and I went out today for a five mile "run". Oh what fun (not). My legs seem to have been replaced with someone else's and my shorts are too tight.

Hello again SusieBee, seems we're both playing catch-up!

• Options
    Sim
    You may be lucky (apart from the new diet).
    I shall make assumptions based upon my situation.
    Male? Over 40? proven time of 3:15 (you can say yes), then according to LAST YEAR'S rules, you can have a London GFA place.
    When they say that you must have a time that equals or is better than 3:15, they have previously accepted 3:15:56.

Of course you may not be 40. Or they might change the rules for this coming year. Or change the time. Or something.

Your athletic base has been built. It may take a few weeks to regain, but it is easier to regain than to build it from scratch. Just do it.
  • Options
    Hello again everyone,

I havent posted for ages, this is mainly due to my lack of events and my trg totally slacking off. After FLM i did a few more races and got some decent times but since then i havent done much and I lost my way a bit. I think it was due to some of my race times. I got some very decent times (for me they were) and i was of the opinion that i would never be able to go faster, therefore it dented my ambitions, thinking they had been achieved.
    Just to let you know what i did:
    Oxford Town and Gown (10k) - 39m 48s
    Kintbury 5 (5m) - 32m 8s
    These were a while and i only started running again properly last week as some mates at work have renewed my interest. I also applied for Milton Keynes Half in 11 days. Anyway, went out and did 8 miles in 56mins yesterday so was quite chuffed with that, it has given me extra impotus as it appears i havent lost too much. And so it all begins again, and in this unbearable heat which i hate aswell!
  • Options
    Thanks for the encouragement Blisters - I have run for 3 consecutive days now and maybe, just maybe, there are signs of improvement. I am indeed male and 44! I managed to sneak in under 3.15 in Berlin last September and I hope that would get me a London GFA anyway. A lot of work to do now though!
  • Options
    praise be to blisters for finding this out

The helpful chappie was able to read the GFA qualification requirements out of the Marathon News magazine (which has yet to be distributed)

Male 18-40 ->2:45 to sub 3:00
    Male 41-59 -> sub 3:15
    Female 18-49 -> 3:15 to 3:45
    Female 50-54 -> sub 4:00
    Cut off date for receipt of application October 10th.

In other words, there is NO CHANGE in the qualifying times or age groups.
    The hard part is the cut off date. This is a Monday, the day after the Cardiff marathon, and 6 days prior to Abingdon marathon.
    If you get your GFA time at Cardiff, you will have to travel to London to deliver the paperwork, as they will only accept results by post or in person.
  • Options
    sorry again haven't posted for a while on here, been a bit pre-occupied with sorting out logistics of 1/2IM... what can i say - i was drunk when i entered. Never mind. Glad the GFAs have stayed as they are, as takes a bit of pressure off Cardiff for me. (Luckily I live in London, so the paperwork shouldn't be much hassle.)

Sorry to hear about injuries. Hopefully things will heal soon. And well done on those PBs. Impressive. I have a long way to go before getting near 3:15 but one step at a time...first thing is GFA place and seem to be well on the way. It's not the endurance that bothers me (can happily chug out 9 min miles for 3 and a half hours in training on own), but I struggle with the speed-endurance. Doing Yasso 800s at 3:20 - hard but do-able, but was very happy to be doing mile reps at 7:20 the other day! I suspect this means that I need to spend more time doing the longer reps, which is fine...<desparately tries to convince self>...
  • Options
    Ergo
    Mike G had some good sessions that were focussed on speed endurance. The aim being to get you into the later stages of the event without the former half.
    15 mile run, formed in 3 equal parts ( a loop circuit is best)
    0-5, easy, say 8:30 m/m
    5-10 up a gear 8m/m
    10-15, Goal mara pace 7:26
    It sounds like a cruising sort of session. Give it a try.
    These spped increase sessions are all about training your body to run on lactic filled legs.

PS the mile reps at 7:20 should feel easy. Try them at 6:20 off 2 min rest. Have a mile or so warm up and warm down. If they are still easy, go faster.
  • Options
    Thanks blisters, that 15M session sounds good. Having a down week next week (w swim and cycle last week was 5M swim/120M bike/56M run, and really feeling it) but will try it after that.

As for the mile reps, thing is, I don't find the really short intervals (under a km) or long slow runs, or even say 5 - 10 miles at 7:45s or something, but I find anything in between a bit of a mission. So 7:20 is an effort but not hard hard - i don't think I can hold 6:20 pace for more than 1 or maybe 2 reps...
  • Options
    Ergo - that's exactly the point with the reps. Besides which, I am sure that you will surprise yourself. I believe that they helped me to up my pace significantly.
    Try this:
    1.5m jog warm up (to your start line)
    1 min rest
    1 measured mile as fast as you can
    2 min rest
    1 mile return journey to start line
    2 min rest
    1 mile eyeballs-out-this-is-the-last-lap-so-try-hard
    2 min rest
    1.5 mile jog home

Make a note of your times, trying to get them all to be even. Remember that you will have clocked up a respectable 6 mile tally.

Maybe you could try the same 1600m on the track if there is one handy.

This is a very good midweek session, and I must get back into them!

• Options
    weeeelll...since you put it so persuasively, i'll have a crack!

suspect a lot of it's in my head as well...

i'll let you know how i get on. (if i never post again, it's either because they came out at 9:30 and i felt embarrassed, or that the 1st 2 were 4:50 or something and i'm still in a heap somewhere along the mile)...
  • Options
    Marathon News arrived yesterday, as i have sacked the idea of doing Cardiff and going for a GFA entry i have already sent out my official ballot entry. Unfortunately i have let my trg slip and dont think a sub 3hr at Cardiff is achievable so it would be pointless anyway.

So, here we go again for FLM '06. This time i have a slight head start so i'm sure a sub 3.15 is achievable.

PS Milton Keynes NSPCC half marathon this weekend.
  • Options
    As I have thought for a long time, Cardiff appears to be too late for a GFA attempt. The magazine says you have to apply for the GFA entry with proof of the Marathon time by the 7th October. Cardiff is on the 9th?

I am aiming for an attempt at a GFA at the Kent Coastal Marathon in September. Training is going OK at present. My achilles heel is my achilles tendon. It is a problem, but I think I have just about got it under control at present. (Not getting any worst, or if it is only very slowly).

I have now done 4 long runs, the longest of 3:20 at about 9 minute mile pace. Currently trying to exceed 50 miles per week, but with work keeping getting in the way I averaging nearly 40 (over the last 10 weeks). However I have managed to do a number of consequative 50 mile weeks.

Touch wood, not looking too bad at present. In fact going so well I have put my name on the 2006 pirates ironman! Maybe by achilles problem has spread to my head?
  • Options
    Don One- IM2006? How are you going to fit in the training if 50 mpw is a struggle? You've got a 112 mile bike and a 2.4 mile swim to get on as well. That's why I've not even let it enter my head.

But good luck if you do wind yourself up to full commitment for it.
  • Options
    Well, a poor Half marathon today (1hr 36m 47sec). Lack of trg really showed. It felt a real struggle. This was 2 minutes slower than the first half of FLM '05.

I have a lot of very hard work to do. Luckily i have 3 weeks off at the start of August so i can kick back in to it. Im even thinking of giving up smoking. For a 20 a day bloke who has smoked for 16 years its going to be tough and is quite daunting.

Im going to try and find another local half m in Sep or Oct that i can aim for to check on my progress.
  • Options
    Swanny, I think that there's a quit smoking thread on General, or you can start your own. From what I've seen, the support is enormous.

PS, you are going to be rich.....to the tune of £5 per day, £35 per week, £1825 per year. You have got to WANT to do it.
    Decision day will be tough.
    Day 2/3 will be Hell.
    Then there will be the day that The Devil comes to tempt you back...

Here's the alternates:
    1)Gordon Brown doesn't actually want you to smoke, your tax burden doesn't cover the NHS added costs.
    2)Nobody wants to kiss an ashtray.
    3)Did you know that food has a taste and a smell?
    4)Go to the bike shop or hifi store and choose something that you really fancy that costs £1800 but would never ever consider affording. Get a 12 month loan and take that giant leap of confidence. Then when Mr Temptation comes a-calling you can look at this Lance Armstrong bike/ plasma TV and think - nope, I've just got to keep paying for that...

Wishing you best of luck.
  • Options
    Hello everyone

Just sent the app off for FLM 2006 so motivation as high as it could be.

Last year I ran 3.23 off three runs per week, average about 30 miles/week, so am hoping that with a bit more input I can crack 3.15.

At the moment I am doing one interval session, one tempo session and one long-ish run per week, and am about to add in a few hills for good measure.

The plan is to get up to a fortnightly long (18 ish) run by Christmas, as the last three years I have only started training in September.

This all subject to revision, amendment, change, alteration or abandonment at any time.
  • Options
    FBF, sounds suitably non-commital! although you did very well off limited training this year.

For may part I took advantage of a long weekend without the kids and managed an undulating off road 20m on Friday, a horrible 5m recovery (after 3 hours shopping!) Saturday and a solid 12m off roader yesterday.

Main focus for next 6 weeks remains aerobic condition and weight loss, then I have a series of races between 5 & 10 miles through September and October including a serios PB attempt at 10m, before looking to ramp up again for a spring marathon, hopefully FLM but subject to enry as ever.
  • Options
    Always non-commital.

Well - not always, obviously wouldn't commit to that.

Impressed with a 20 miler at this stage. I'm going to try for 15 next weekend, hangovers permitting.
  • Options
    Morning All:

I have sent off my application as well on Saturday.

Things are goin welll with my training at the moment focussing on getting the milage around the 45 mile mark a week a the moment. Have managed this for the last 6 weeks.

It is definitely paying off, I feel much fitter and my race times are starting to get back to what they were before I had three months off at the start of the year with injury.

I did a Half marathon on 17th July on a very tough course and in 29 degree heat and managed a 1:41 but importantly I felt confortable at the end.

Target for the next few months up to october is the New Forest Half marathon which is another tough course and I am trying to break my ten mile PB on October 9th, which currently stands at 67 minutes.

Longest run so far in training has been 17 miles.

Good luck with your training everyone and I hope we all get in.

LL
  • Options
    blisters

Thanks for the words of encouragement on the smoking front. The financial benefits are the obvious ones, the health ones are a little less visible but im sure they will be reflected in my training. I also have 2 young kids to think about too which gives me possibly the greatest incentive.
    I will check out the thread you mentioned too.

As for the Plasma TV, i bought a new telly recently so hows about a Garmin Forerunner 301. Thats about 36 days worth of savings i think (180?), not quite the years incentive but its something i want.
  • Options
    Hi all,

I was on the 2005 sub 3.15 thread and think that this is again the thread for my FLM 2006 ambitions ! :-)

2005 was my first FLM and even though I didn't break 3.15 I was pleased with my time.

Anyway, I hope nobody objects to me being on this thread :-)

Just about to send my 2006 entry off, so I'll see you all later !
  • Options
    First time for entering

Form went off yesterday

3:15 is my target but... who knows?

• Options
    Blisters, i tried those 3 x 1M reps at 6:20 pace and it was fine! (well, the last one hurt, but that's kind of the point). Not sure what this means, as I felt I could even have pushed them a bit harder, but that speed doens't translate into tempo runs. Probably i just need to do more of them!!

I haven't tried the 15M session yet, as lots of tri stuff happening too, but will do in next few weeks. What would you suggest re. the M reps - increasing the speed or holding that speed and making it maybe 3 x 1.5M reps?
  • Options
    SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone and welcome newcomers. It looks like there's some great training going on here already, and there's still eight months to go. Well, it was meant to be 2 months for me, as I'm Berlin bound, but my cycling injury has put to bed a realistic chance of me getting sub-3:15 on this occasion.

The good news is that I'm on the mend after my cycling accident (I was able to cross-train on the bike, ironically, and swim a litle, but SFA running). I shall be making my post-injury debut at the London Tri on Sunday. I'm bricking myself over the swim as I'm an open-water novice, but I'm really looking forward to the bike as it's the discipline I've made huge leaps and bounds in over the past couple of months. As for the 10k, no records will be set but will just be happy to finish comfortably....
  • Options
    Hi SB,

Glad to see that you are on the mend - your cycling accident sounded pretty nasty !

Good luck for the Tri on Sunday !

• Options
    SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Cheers, Paul! Delighted that you're back on board. Hope to see you at one of the club runs sometime soon...
  • Options
    SB,

Definitely, I raced a 5 miler on Sunday. Am gradually getting back to my usual fitness :-)

I will be running on a Tues and Thurs (on a regular basis) from end of August, so I'll see you at the club !