Options

Swansea Harriers Seaside 5K Series - Race 2

Comments

• Options

WA - enjoyed reading your race report image 

Hope you didn't find the whole experience too disheartening, I think if I'd taken my shirt off the girls would have been shouting for me to put it back on.........my legs are still killing me, they've never hurt like this after a race. Today is the first time I've not reversed down the stairs, very embarassing when I had a customer meeting on Monday! Those mobility scooters look quite tempting.......

Any news from Martin's marathon adventure?

24 weeks to Snowdon.................the fun will start again soon.

• Options

legs feeling not too bad today.managed to struggle to the pool but came away after 1k as i hate it...............

A lot of it is mental Alex.there will be another dayimage

• Options

Thanks FF, I have never been quite as bad as that but it does make me laugh thinking of you backing down stairs !

No, not too disheartening. I have had a whole range of experiences running marathons, I guess it must be like a trippy drug (not that IU have ever taken illegal drugs) in that you don't know if it is going to be a good trip or a bad trip until you try !

Martin, had a similar disappointment. Have spoken to him and he found it hot : he tried to run 3:10 pace but slowed to a 3:21 finish.

It is mental too Seren, I have far more problems with that than the physical side. The days of my youth racing 1500m sort of destroyed me and I have never really recovered.
  • Options

So, back to the drawing board. Just sent my application off for GFA 2011 !
  • Options

Afternoon all

Wasn't going to do London next yearimage but its a great race and what else would I do that weekendimage. And I couldn't See you do it alone Aleximage.

FF, hope the legs get better soon, have you tried running yet?

Alex, yet another great write upimage.

• Options

FL - running has been completely out of the question, I've been walking like Douglas Bader.

I may try a short run on Friday to see if the legs still work.

Anyone running at Whitford Point next Wednesday evening?

• Options
    FF, if my knee is ok would love to give Whitford a go. Good luck with the runimage
  • Options

Afternoon all

Wasn't going to do London next yearimage but its a great race and what else would I do that weekendimage. And I couldn't See you do it alone Aleximage.

FF, hope the legs get better soon, have you tried running yet?

Alex, yet another great write upimage.

• Options

Evening.

Is there an echo in here? image

Sorry to hear you fell foul of the mind games Alex - I did hear of some anti mind game training which I think would make me want to top myself... I heard a professional marathon runner did hours of marathon training on a treadmill facing a brick wall!!

the sheer thought of that sends me potty!!

• Options

WA - always gutting not to get the time you're after, especially in a marathon after all that training, but there's always 2011!

Being such a slow poke I can't begin to imagine what it must be like to be disappointed with a 3.18 marathon! But that's the great thing about running that we all have our own goals to aim for and have a bit of pie along the way.

I actually ran today and feel much better for it. I was horrified to fill in my run log after and find that it has been a month since I ran last - where did April go?!

Anyway, I've decided I need a goal to keep me on track or, before I know it, it will be nearly June before I run again. I think I shall enter Tour of Torfaen, always enjoyed that race.

• Options

sorry to dissappoint you sweetie but Tour of Tourfaen is cancelled............trouble with policing.................which is strange as this was the one road race that got police cover because it was linked to one of their own....................

• Options

evening

Seren, the tour of torfaen is still selling entries, here and on another website. When did it get cancelled?

I've entered Cardiff today, it's the previous week, and I believe Cardiff do a nice line in post race pies

• Options

Thanks for the kind words folk. Sweetie, running is just so addictive. I started with a 4:53 marathon and have snailed my way up the rankings over the last 10 years. Everyone can do it, and don't think that you are destined never to reach faster times. There is no reason, so long as you are up for loads of self persecution, that it can't be done.

Sue, I am gutted that the tour is off. My favourite race of all time. Week before Snowdon this year too.

I ran 2.5 miles last night which was about as much shapeless running as I could manage. Legs 95% today but really didn't feel in the mood. Was going to swim but ran out of time. FF, you may be stiff but it is a glorious feeling I bet !

Chris, next year I will defo stick with you. This year I really lacked the confidence to try and not feeling the best didn't help. I can't be similarly unlucky next year : just don't get any blimmin' faster so I have a chance to catch up !
  • Options

I have entered Cardiff 10k and Half already. Also going to do Whitford next week. I was 13th last year so fingers crossed not many fast runners turn up this year either image
  • Options

Hello all

WA - don't give up.  Its all psychological on the day and you didn't have a good run up to the marathon.  You can and will do an even better time next year.  I hope you feel better soon. image

I started running seriously only ten years ago having never even done games before.  If I can do it, ANYONE can.image

I am hoping to run London next year so there will be a few of us there.

I have entered Cardiff half and the 10k.  Think there are some pie fests on the horizon.

FF - hope you are pain free soon.

Shame about Torfaen.

• Options

Still a great time Alex - well done.

Little 3 miler for me tonight.

• Options

Great to hear you are running Sweetie.

Anyone doing the 5ks?  I will be jogging them.  Hope to see some of you there.image

• Options

Well isn't that just typical!

I decide to enter a race for the first time since 2007 and the one out of hundreds I could have picked, they cancel.......perhaps the fates are trying to tell me I should take up cycling instead?

Just looking on their website it says they hope to have it back in 2011.....

• Options

Sweetie - do Cardiff half. Loads of us will be there image

I have just baked a cake. Boffin's talk of pie made me think of a Pie Fest.  Get your diaries out and let me know when you are all free as we need a gathering  image

• Options

I want to do Cardiff but go away to Henley Business School on that evening for 6 nights. So will have to think about timings, spending time with the family etc.

I had lined up the Tour of Torfean instead (fancied the downhilling and stadium finish). Dissapointed it's cancelled.

Decided now to go to our company Summer BBQ in the Celtic Manor and not stay over or even drink - meaning I can run the Llanelli 10k the next day. Yep - got this running bug bad!

Kev

• Options
    I should enter Llanelli.  Good thinking Kev.  image
  • Options

Good evening

I hope you are all well & those of you who ran are happy bunnies. 

It's really cheery in our house....my quads & knees have been locked-up since Canary Wharf & Carol tore her knee at mile 19. Today Carol has shredded her thumb in the cheese grater!

I am going to join the Gardeners World forum & leave this one!! It's safer.

Could be worse I suppose...I could be Gordon Brown!

Anyway, we had a fantastic weekend (except for the race) staying in the Civil Service club in Westminster with Rose & Terry Jones....also met some speedy TROTs staying there who were a good laugh. Train journey both ways also a great experience.....you ought to see Ann-Marie's calf damage as revealed to us on Platform 10 @ Paddington!

I have entered the 5Ks NR......at present I can barely walk though - HAPPY DAYS!

• Options
    Hello GraV - you sound as if you had a great marathon!!  I hope you are still up for a post marathon bash of some sort.  I will have to get in touch with Anne Marie. She did so well.  Rest up and see you at the 5k.  Should be a laugh image
  • Options
    I'm up for everything & anything! Thanks NR.
  • Options

Great GraV.  Rose and Terry want to come along too I think. 

Anyone fancy an Indian meal for a post marathon bash?  End of May/beginning of June? image

• Options

Morning!

I have just entered the Cardiff half, a race I vowed never to do again after the debacle with the castle finish a couple of years ago (and because Barnardo's canned the marathon) - but NR you are so persuasive!

• Options

Morning NR & Sweetie!

Indian fine NR. I just lurve heaps of egg-fried rice!

When does the training programme start Sweetie?!!!

• Options

I would be tempted to join you at cardiff but i expect its the same wekend again as Abingdon which my OH is doing.

I have to find everything i need for my aquathon at bryn bach parc for tonight.................Hopefully my wetsuit will still be in one piece and fitimage

• Options

"I have just entered the Cardiff half" - Nice one Sweetie. Thats the way.

Seren, yes, same day as Abingdon.