Options

Scottish Runners

Comments

• Options

Thanks 57.5 image.

Good luck everyone running, and look forward to seeing at least one of you tomorrow imageimage.

A gentle morning shopping and watering the greenhouse plants at the allotment - tomato plants have gone massive all of a sudden image. Some amount of rain last night - my rain bucket had about 3inches in it image!

Gonna be a muddy canal path!!!!

• Options
    It is a very muddy canal path, I ran from Auchinstarry to Kirkintilloch today and it was mingin. Lots of puddles, lots of muddy bits churned up by cyclists. Nearly slipped into canal once and nearly fell on backside in the mud a few times. Trainers, gaiters and leggings were caked in the stuff.
  • Options

Gaiters and trail shoes for definite then.............need to take several pairs of socks too!

• Options

Good luck G to E ersimage

Oooh FFB, exciting!!

Off to Tyndrum tomorrow for some trail milesimage

• Options

Hope the G2E weather is similar to that up here. Absolutely perfect for running. Nice bit of 20 min pacing at parkrun followed by some miles on the Dava moor in a fairly gentle taper intro.

• Options

G2E a bit damp underfoot! Weather was fine once it stopped drizzling- bit chilly up until that point.

I finished- better time than last year, Don't know my actual time, as I messed up my Garmin at some point, but I arrived at the finish at 8:40pm, and the race started a minute or 2 after 9am- so definately beat 11:49 , which was my time last year- and I was able to run past 4 people in the last mile or so.

Mud on the path was slippy/ suck-your -shoe off type. Managed to keep feet reasonalby dry with the aid of 2 changes of sock, but the sideways slippage all the time was tiring- I have ended up with a blister on the ball of one foot, and I also have a completely knackered toenal- I could feel the blister building up under the nail, and the only way I could run on it was to pop the blister, and stick a plaster on- still had 12 miles to go at that point!

THe state of my toe this morinig is alarming even to me- and I'm a surgeon!

Apart from that, I'm not too bad!= managed to walk down stairs sideways this moring, without too much trouble!

Anyway- all in all I'm happy, Fling next year?

• Options

Well persevered Tricia

Hope you don't end up in the hands of the general surgeons imageimage

• Options

Well done Tricia image.

I enjoyed the run and had a nice steady plod.

Bloody hell its flat though imageimage!!! Strains on muscles in ways very different to hill running!!

Who knew there were so many scary aqueducts going over roads in Edinburgh? image But I was slightly more freaked by the long dark tunnel at Polmont image! Still I suppose the fear relieved the boredom image!

Ran on and off with the same guy from the Falkirk Wheel onward, then when we got to the outskirts of Edinburgh and it started to get dark, he was slowing down quite a lot, but also a bit freaked by some of the people hanging about on the canal going through the schemey bit...and he had no headtorch image. So we agreed to buddy up and finish together, which was just as well as just after that 3 dodgy looking blokes appeared out of nowhere from behind a hedge and loomed toward us image! They got my head torch in their eyes and that seemed to deter them image! He was going quite slow and I could have just run ahead but it didn't feel right to leave him. So I probably sacrificed about 20mins of time, but worth it to finish with a new pal image. Who then announced, 'that is my first and last ultra' image yeah but they / we all say that image.

• Options

Well done guys! I would really not fancy the run into Embra on my own in the dark so it sounds like you did the right thing. The year I did it I was glad to have a friend running the final 10m with me on a fine, light, late afternoon just to help clear people out of the way (a bike bell did the trick, he was an old hand at running in the Capital).

• Options

This year the dodgy Embra bit didn't bother me so much- It was still vaguely light through that bit, and I felt alert enough to keep a good wary eye out, and enough in my legs to go past anybody at a run ( however brief). I did the same last year though- bufddying up after dark is definitely a good idea- I just didn't see anyone nearby before that stretch, so I had no choice ( standing around waiting for a buudy wouldn't have worked)

• Options

Well done Tricialitt and TP image Great effort and perseverance.

I never really fancied G2E because it is so flat and there is that dodgy/schemy bit.

Bit of a tired and lazy weekend for me. Heavy legged 12 miles on Saturday, so swapped my planned run on Sunday for a bike session. Hoping to get out later this afternoon for a bit of a plod. Done some abs work this morning.

Torq Energy have agreed to continue to support me through 2014 image and they may consider sponsoring Loch Katrine image

I did my 2nd motivational speaking session on Saturday evening. Enjoyed it and managed not to send anyone to sleep. Still over ran a bit, but I am coming to the conclusion that the 'story' need 40 - 45 mins. I can pare it down a bit more and get a bit more disciplined about not going off script, but that would only shave a few minutes off it.

• Options

Well done Tricialitt and TP image Great effort and perseverance.

I never really fancied G2E because it is so flat and there is that dodgy/schemy bit.

Bit of a tired and lazy weekend for me. Heavy legged 12 miles on Saturday, so swapped my planned run on Sunday for a bike session. Hoping to get out later this afternoon for a bit of a plod. Done some abs work this morning.

Torq Energy have agreed to continue to support me through 2014 image and they may consider sponsoring Loch Katrine image

I did my 2nd motivational speaking session on Saturday evening. Enjoyed it and managed not to send anyone to sleep. Still over ran a bit, but I am coming to the conclusion that the 'story' need 40 - 45 mins. I can pare it down a bit more and get a bit more disciplined about not going off script, but that would only shave a few minutes off it.

• Options

14.5 done today (so far) - longest since LK image

• Options

G2E fitted really well timing wise for me this year, (and good practice for running that far on the flat image), but otherwise I would have probably done the Fling again. It might not have the glamour of the WHW but there is something quite satisfying about running between two Cities image. It was really well organised and very friendly, relaxed, and good discipline-wise for pacing run/walk, so it ticked the right boxes. Doing it once is probably enough though image.

The guy I ran most of the last 30m with had done lots of endurance 'challenge' type events, 24hr kayaking, cycling around Europe etc, but no ultra running, so I had quite an entertaining afternoon, a) keeping him running, b) comparing insane distances and c) getting ideas for doing events I probably shouldn't imageimage.

Well done on the sponsorship FFB image.

Couple of hours pottering at the allotment this morning, because tomato plants  do not care if you have sore legs image.

• Options

Well done TP and Triciaimage It is a tough race with being so flat but I know what you mean TP, I like the idea of travelling between two cities on footimage

That's great news on the sponsorship FFBimage

That's good you're getting the miles in after LK OH, is Cape Wrath next? How's my wee pal? Is she behaving?!image

Had a nice 20 miler on the WHW on Saturday, Tyndrum to Victoria Bridge and back.

• Options

Not as many miles as you, MrsMac! Cape Wrath next, uncertain of how much (put my name down for whole week as I then get lunches thrown in!)

LSRs could be fun this weekend - 30-40 mph winds forecast again. Still at least they'll be no indecision between running and kayaking!

Els still on sick bench and not happy - but managing cycling and swimming.

• Options

Short run today, legs okay, just took it easy, nice day image.

Get well soon Elspeth!

• Options

Legs recovering well but can't run because of persistenly "half -on/ half- off" toenail- I know, I'm a surgeon, I should just rip it off, but havn't been able to get a quiet moment at work to hide in a treatment room and get it sorted- perhaps tomorrow?

Will watch VLM from the sofa this year0 although I do enjoy running "with " them on the tready in the gym- not that long a run, as you only get about 2hr 30 of elite comverage, then it's "the masses"- don't usually bother watching that bit.

Have been eating like a horse all week- will need to stop soon, as my metabolism must be back to normal by now? 

• Options
    Having toenail issue here too. My big toenail got bruised way back beginning of last yr and altho it never gave me any pain or problems it wasn't attached to nail bed til about halfway dwn, but was still attached at sides so wasn't raised or flapping about. Anyway about 5 months ago it got infected, I reckoned it was just dirt had gotten trapped under nail from muddy trail runs. Doc gave me antibiotic and I cut nail right back to where it was attached so it would reattach as it grew back. Problem is even after the antibiotics the toe was still a bit red and itchy, so I was putting fucidin cream on it that I had for infected blister before. But everytime I stop putting the fucidin cream on it it starts to get redder, itchier and sorer. Keep putting off going to doc again, partly cos worried they'll say I need to have it removed and that not happening til I have run EMF and Dirty 30. Or keep convincing myself it's nothing and will clear up itself hmmmmmmm. But don't really believe that. Need a kick up the arse.
  • Options

Ouch to all the nail issues image!

Short run today, it lured me out in the sun, only to get 5mins in and then it pished it down image. Good Easter weather!

I have to go to a 50th wedding Aniv on Sunday, so need to make sure I get a run in before, as its gonna be stressful I can sense it image. Too many family shenanigans and last minute planning going on as the 'recipients' insisted they didn't want anything, no fuss, just a quiet lunch with a couple of folk, and then yesterday the feckers announced they want the all singing all dancing family party  image!!! Yes because that is really easy to organise with 3 days notice!!!

• Options

Argh- families! Don't you wish they'd say what they want....rather than "we don't want any fuss".................. but if you don't organise the biggest party in the world we will be really disappointed.

The story of the toenail troubles above is tempting me to attack this toenail and get rid of it- the idea of getting dirt trapped in it is a worry, to be sure.

• Options
    In my experience if u don't chop toenail right back to where it is attached to nail bed it never reattaches, just continues to grow unattached. But if u cut it back it grows in normally.
  • Options

***Look away now if you're squeamish***

I've just taken the entire nail off- ( got some local injected first). The nail beed had avulsed anyway, I don't know if it will regrow or not, but at least its nice and clean now- not a moment too soon, I think ,as it was looking a bit grotty underthe residual nail, and now I can clean and dress it properly- I reckon I'll be back running within a week, but it will need time to toughtn it up.

• Options

Braver than me Tricia image! Hope it all heels up nicely now, sounds like you did the right thing.

I have been hiding out at the allotment all afternoon image. My scaffold boards got delivered that I have been waiting for, straight up to the site, so I can build my raised beds now properly. Had a good weeding session, planted some peas out, and then carried 5x 4m long planks down to the plot image. Arms knackered now, but very happy, next job - build the beds image.

Hope everyone is enjoying this bit of sun, even if it is blowing a gale!

• Options

I had a great run in the sun, but boy is it wild up here. Ran downwind on Lossiemouth East Beach and back in the shelter of the woods. Some very cool WWII defensive positions out there which I did not know existed. Reminded me of a run in Orkney if not for the trees.

Luckily the inevitable dust storms that accompany dry windy weather here between dressing the fields and the crops gettinv big enough are not enveloping the house ... yet.

• Options

Certainly windy in Orkney too!

but have been across 3 of the Churchill Barriers 4 times today, twice on foot, twice in car. 

• Options

Toe feels perfect today- I could run on it! Might go out after watching the VLM, we'll see. Blustery here too. Settled infront of tele for the next 3 hours or so. Go Mo!

• Options

Morning all. A bad running week for me, as in not a lot of running. Currently in front of the TV watching the marathon, but will do some weights and abs whilst watching. I have had a very tight right calf and heavy quads this week so just ditched all the runs in favour of bike sessions.

Toenail issues for me too. I removed 2 a few weeks back. First time ever. Not sure what the situation was re growing back. They got blisters under them in Antarctica and the docs would not let me burst the blisters, although eventually I did as it was too sore. But it was not soon enough to save the nails. They looked like they were just growing out and then one day I somehow ended up removing one and then just took the other one off too.

• Options
    Blisters under nail that caused loss of my small toenails in the past, both have grown back fine now. One was a bit dodgy for 1st yr, kept growing halfway up toe then sticking up a bit so it was getting damaged all the time. But eventually after cutting it back several times it now grows flat and normal. The bug toe was different it was just constant bruising from my Asics during marathon training that caused problem. Don't wear them anymore, altho I had bruising to same flaming toenail after 20 miles in my Brooks last wk image. Going to try innov8s for my 22 Miler this wk. So annoying that u can run in a shoe up to 18 Miles with no problem but then once u get up to 20+ Miles u start getting flaming issues.
  • Options

Toenails are overrated anywayimage

Very windy here all weekend (albeit not by Orkney standardsimage) so had a tready weekend. 22 miles on Saturday and 15 miles today!