Options

Scottish Runners

Comments

• Options
    OMG I am in awe Mrs Mac 22 Miles on a dreadmill is impressive, 3 miles is about most I can hack
  • Options

I need ti figure out a more trail-y type of trail shoe that might fit me for next tear's fling. I currentyl use Brooks trail version of the adrenaline, but I doubt that is sufficient for the most dodgy bits of the WHW- although I will be walking those sections.

Anyone got any experience of a good grippy trail shoe with a simliar fit to the brooks adrenaline series? 

PS - I "may" have inadvertantly entered the Strathearn mara- entries open via entry central- OOPS!

• Options
    Ooh I did Steathearn mara last yr loved it, lots of country rds past biiiig houses.
  • Options

Tricia, I've worn brooks cascadia on the WHW and found them to be fine.  For the Fling, I plan to wear a pair of Hoka trail shoes.  Since ankle surgery a year ago, I actively seek more cushioning! 

• Options

Where is everyone? perhaps outside in the sunshine??- Did my 11 mile commute homw from work this moring,a then a 2 hour walk with my OH. Feet sore now! Could really go a beer.

Hope everyone is having a good long weekend.

• Options
    22 Mile run for me this morn, glorious blue skies and sunshine. Feet and ankle my problem. Legs feel absolutely fine but heel sore for 1st few mins when get up and ankle will b stiff and sore in the morn. Feet and ankles are what hurts on run. Especially going downhill. Thinking hokas might b way to go too.
  • Options

Jeezo, it is quiet on here eh? Had a great easter weekend up in Tyndrum with my sister and nieces. Got a couple of wee WHW runs in the sunshine tooimage

Crawley 12 hour race this weekend although slightly wishing I was doing the Fling.

• Options

Morning

Mrs B and I were in Pompei on holiday for a week. Great weather. We visited the ruins and were in a 20,000 all seated Roman Gladiator Stadium  which was an amazing place

I jogged the last 100m to the summit of Vesuvius. And I passed the legendary USSR pole valuter Sergey Bubka in Naples. If it wasn't him it was his double.

Oh and there's an Italian chocolate called 'Ovetti' ! Honestimage

• Options

Looking forwards  to hearing how the Flingers do image

Warily trying a 5k "time trial" this eveningimage

Cape Wrath otherwise next event ...image

Els's new HOKA's are on route

• Options

I am thinknig of a park run this saturday..........can't think why, since my legs feel ike lead! Hey ho.

Might try victoria park, as I need to go to a meeting at Glas univ at 11am, so should be handy.

Did a slow 10k slog this am- legs tired after spinning yesterday on top of the weekend's 22 miles,plus an interval session on monday.

I did wonder about going to see the fling go off, but it's too early in the morning- I will be interested in the reports, as I want to do it next year.

• Options

5k "time trial" got postponed by organisersimage

• Options

New parkrun trial run tomorrow at the upcoming springburn parkrun. Barcode needed hopefully a few will turn up to support this new parkrun.

• Options

Afternoon all, been having computer issues so not been on for a while...plus mega busy with the allotment now the weather is better image.

Just in to say Good Luck to all Flingers...wish I was there...(well, actually I don't cos my legs are still recovering from 55m of 'flat' imageimageimage).

Good luck MrsMac in your 12hr too image.

Balfron 10k for me this weekend, and a parental visit tomorrow so I will take them out to my plot and get them working image.

• Options

Had a blast at Balfron - very busy this year with over 700 entries, (about 600 starters), smooth organisation as usual and very pleasant waiting for the start in the early morning sun.

First 5k out very congested, got hemmed in a few times by big clusters of people, then had to sprint past to get clear when there was a gap. Slightly concerned to see all this sprint / stop / plod produce a 26.50min 5k, as I would have a lot of catching up to do on the return. All that sprinting didn't do much for the back 5k, which you then realise is mostly uphill, or it could just be the legs feeling it. Sun blazing over the last 1km, and wishing this uphill would end, clock ticking by too fast and we must nearly be there surely? Finally into the village for masses of cheering, 500metres to go sign, and over the line in about low 54. something on the Garmin. Nice day out and happy with the run overall, especially given my 55miler was only 3wks ago image.

Next up GUCR in less than 4weeks imageimageimage!!!!

• Options

Just back from an afternoon-off blast up the Kilpatrick hills- ideal weather, not too hot, and minimal greeblies at this time of year. I concluded that if I'm to convett this years "flat" ultra to a similar distance on the much more hilly fling in 1 years time I need to get working in the hoills- fun, but my legs are trashed now!!

Well done the flingers, and fast 10k-ers!

• Options

Tricia - you will have no problem completing the Fling, and if you go with the attitude of 'enjoy it' you will have all the better experience image.

• Options

Slow recovery run this morning - the Summer must be here - for one day at least.

Doing some early stocking up on supplies for May racing, sis gels, nuun tabs, couple of packs of batteries image...easy to spend money eh? image I reckon 3 sets of batteries should do it for potentially two nights out, as it stays light later, so...best part is I don't have to carry it all for two days, as they do a bag shuttle image.

• Options

Morning

30mins Steadily done again. Okay run.

It turned out to be a cracking sunny and warm day yesterdayimage

Some good training going on. Well done collectively to all those concernedimage

Need to catch up soon

• Options

Saw a cyclist nearly being in an accident at a roundabout near to our house at about 6.30pm  last night. The car driver never gave way !image Fortunately the cyclist has slowed right down and he had the right of way. Don't know if the sun was in the drivers eyes, but it was a close one for the cyclist.

• Options

Morning BM image.

Eeeek to near misses with cars! Friend of mine came off the bike the other week - she had right of way / green light at a T junction near the motorway, was about to cross when a massive truck went straight through the red light in the other direction, she braked and swerved to avoid but the front wheel skidded, she landed in cycle track with bike on top of her, handlebar to sternum, fractured upper rib...but as she said luckily not under the truck image!! Most shocking part was probably not the truck but the fact that about 5 car drivers just drove on past her whilst she was lying in the road...image not one person who witnessed stopped to help...

I see they are talking about a bike hire scheme for visitors coming to the Commonwealth imageimage.....hmmmmm, tourists who don't know the roads + Glasgow drivers, I can see that being a 'winning' combination image.

• Options

A'noon TP

A bike hire scheme for CG visitors ? No I can't see that being a 'winning combination' either.

• Options

A cold, wet and windy start to today. Think the rain has just gone off !

• Options

Fine Scottish summer weather in Texas this week, and glad to be west of the tornados and wind. Marathon day in Boston was the warmest of the trip other than the day I got into Dallas. Will be glad to get back to my highland trails though, too much concrete and tarmac here even on the river trail system.

• Options

Morning

A 35mns Steady off road earlier with a wee extra wee 5mins todayimage

Suns outimage

• Options

Morning all

Dry but feels very chilly out - had a couple of hours at the allotment yesterday lunch time, freezing! Nobody there but me, 3 cats, a fox and lots of birdies! Felt like winter again!

57.5 - nice holiday image.

Was sorting through some old wood and slabs yesterday, and managed to tread on a piece of wood that someone had left a long nail sticking out of image. Luckily I had my work boots on and managed to pull it out before it got in too deep.

Canal run info and number arrived in post this morning image! OMG!!! I have been thinking about doing this race since I first heard about it 5yrs ago....back then it was just a passing 'hmmmm, maybe one day... I might be able to have a shot at that.' and now it is only 3wks away imageimageimage. Bloody Hell's Teeth!!!

Off for a plod to start the taper image.

• Options
    Was all ready for a lovely long run in the sunshine today boo, 1 st 10 miles was dreich and drizzly, improved for the next 10 Miles but wind was freezing
  • Options

Hi all

Was looking forward to running the Helensburgh Half this year as its my local race but its been replaced by a 7 mile run (presume its because of the roadworks - why it couldn't have been re rooted I have no idea)

Anyone know of another in August within 20 miles of Helensburgh ?

• Options

Morning

I need to catch up

Coffee calling

Working later today.

• Options

Boing image Afternoon all image

Been a bit distracted recently, but finally got a moment to pop in.

I finished the fling last weekend with a PB imageimage 14 hours and 2 seconds, so a PB of 1.03 image Whilst I am very happy with the result I did have a few issues, mainly gastric distress image which resulted in me not being able to eat as much as I had hoped so I was in bad shape at Beinglas. Also managed to repeatedly stub my toes and mashed my big toes image.

Here is the race report .

Full rest this week mainly because I could not get shoes on until Wednesday image

Finally got a new contract and start on the 12th. It is in Edinburgh and I did not really want it and had hoped I would not get it. Turned down the offer, but they were keen and came back with a revised offer (2 days per week based in Glasgow), so I could not find a good reason to say no. Anyway, need to get some income coming in so have accepted and will keep looking for something closer to home.

Next big one for me is the Great Glen in 8 weeks image

• Options

Meant to say, have now completed 3 motivation speaking sessions and am loving it. No more lined up, so if you know of any organisations/groups that might be interested let me know.