Scottish Runners

Comments

• Thanks tricialitt. Training is going well at the moment so hopefully continues that way. I've got nothing planned at the moment but I'll need to look into it 
  • Hey Rossi
    Good to know there is someone else out there training for 26 miles, I'm training for Stirling in May (mentioned on the Old Forum, before it became unaccessable.) 
    So i doff my cap at you being ready for April.
  • Thanks Steven all the best to you too for your training for Stirling. Is it your first marathon or you done one before?
  • Stirling will be my first, run 4 or 5 halfs was always pretty happy that they were far enough, been dragged up to the full by enthusiastic brother in law.
    Probably for the best, I've had it on my mind to tackle the full distance for years but ive always found a good excuse not to lol.
    And you, will London be your first? 
  • Nice one. London will be my 2nd. Done Edinburgh 3 years ago and felt this was the right time to go again. I got back into running last year and done the GSR half marathon and quite a few 10ks and then the opportunity of London came up which I thought I should take :-)
  • Yeah, it would seem churlish to turn down the opportunity when so many don't manage to get through the annual lottery.

I did the GSR Almost-Half Marathon last year as well, but I'm still trying to forget that one ;)

Did my Sat&Sun (5&17) felt pretty good at the end of Sunday - just goes to show, you don't know how your week can end - however sluggish it starts. I'm on course for my biggest ever monthly mileage, previously it was 117 miles - but I'll be through that on Thursday ... Marathon training is nuts (but I'm enjoying it - I wonder what that says about me).

I hope everyone had a good weekend whether you were running or not.
  • Kilmarnock 10k on 11th June 2017 anyone doing?
    I did a search and this the (old) thread that came up on forum. Race not listed in 'events' and it wont let me add race to events website.

I heard Kilmarnock Roon The Toon is a fast flat 10k so looking forward to it as a new runner.
  • Well good luck lanarkshire, I hope it's as enjoyable and fast as you hope. Always nice to hear from a new runner; just be careful what you are becoming - we runners are strange creatures ;)
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    The events section on here is pants now, Lanarkshire.  I think ROs have to pay to be listed, and have to use eventbrite for online registration, which has all sorts of odd T&Cs, so I think they've shot themselves in the foot a bit. I can see it listed on Scottish Running Guide though.  Enjoy it!
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Anyone preparing for Loch Ness (September)? It'll be my first, and 16 week training plans will be kicking off around about now. Would be great to hear from any other first-timers 'on the plan'....
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I'm doing Loch Ness, but my plan is a bit variable as I ran Stirling on the 21st and am running Fort William on 30th July (well, when I say running, it'll probably be run-walk due to the lumpy course).

Loch Ness is a fab marathon (well, I am biased) - great choice for a first one.
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Kinda want it to come sooner, if I'm honest, as it's still four months away and I worry I'll peak before then :neutral:
  • tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭
    Another Loch Ness fan here- I've done it 4 or 5 times, but not this year, I have a 24 hour race in Sept, and am planning to take the rest of the autumn off after that. It is a great course, - just remeber not to hare off at the start, as it is very tempting, being downhill, but it will catch up with you later- practice some DOWN hill running!
  • I had completely forgotten about this forum. And now it all looks so different...
  • Looks very quiet in here now :-( 

I've not been here for ages, took a break from fitness after 2010 however 'attempted' the braveheart tri this year. Turned round at the redburn as the weather was closing and I was knackered!!

However I seem to have just signed up for loch ness next year (how did that happen... lol )

I'll call back and see if anyone is still here.

Adbru
  • As say, gone quiet on here.
    Glencoe ("Mamores") half recently done. Glen Ogle 33 on 4 November.
  • Recommendations for half marathon in central Scotland 2018?

Edinburgh half in May not feasible as starts at 8am!!

Alloa half in March getting bad reviews.  2017 they ran out of water and volunteers picking use bottles off floor to hand out!   No road closures so runners dodging cars too.

Inverness March18 meant to be good, but i looking for something nearer Glasgow. 

Loch Leven I heard good. Cantyfind a date in 2018 yet for this.

Great Scottish Run Oct18 I'll do, but looking for a spring and summer half option.  
    Open to suggestions please.
  • Hi- Looks like this thread has almost ceased to exist! Loch KAtrine is a great option- you can do 10k, half, or full marathon- on tarmac, but traffic- free ( and hilly). I am planning Glentress mara in feb, LK in march, then the Fling in april, not sure  what after that, except that I'm in for G 24 again.
  • Stirling have announced  a half marathon  for first time for April 2018.
    Guessing a nice city to run about it!

It's quite steep though - not the gradient but the price :-)  £36 a bit pricy?
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Anyone doing Fort William and/or Strathearn?  Two nice hilly marathons booked for 2018 :)
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Loch Katrine seconded (although I've only done the marathon)
  • Have done Fort William(2016) and Strathearn (2017) but not committed to either for 2018. Strathearn is great but clashes with local Hoy HM and Lochalsh Dirty 30 (and Skye HM)
  • Loch Katrine 18March
    Glen Lyon 5 May
    Cape Wrath Challenge 13-19 May

What''s everyone else signed up for or intending to sign up for in 2018?
  • I'm from Glasgow! Only been running since April of last year though. Currently only signed up for Race for Life 10k in May, planning the women's 10k in June and hoping for Glasgow half in October. I'll see what else I feel like signing up for as it comes up. Always seem to miss things though, definitely very little information out there about runs in Scotland.
  • xKerry - only been running since April, ach you're a veteran - well done for keeping it going.

AOH - I'm currently only signed up for Stirling Mara 29 April
    I will probably will run;
    Balloch to Clydebank Half - 11 Mar (it was cancelled last year)
    Vale 10K - 02 Jun
    Mens 10K Glasgow - 16 Jun
    GSR Half Glasgow - 30 Sep

My Brother in law will likely encourage me to do a few others as well after he caught the running bug pretty heavily last year.

How is everyone else finding running this January - it's been cold but thankfully pretty dry for most of my runs - long may THAT continue.
  • xKerry - try the Scottish Athletics events calendar: http://events.scottishathletics.org.uk/events
  • I hope everyone is keeping safe no turned ankles or falls?

It's been very treacherous out there last couple of days, I wasn't channeling running idols whilst pounding out the miles ... I was thinking about Torvill and Dean doing the Bolero.

I even contemplated doing the big dramatic finish at the end of my run, but would anyone have believed the fall was intentional?
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    It's been way too slippy here to even think about running this week.  Seems to be thawing today though, so hopefully get a few miles in soon! 

xKerry - the Glasgow half is great.  I've not run it for a few years (since the kids came along) but I still rank it as one of my favourites.  Plenty of races in the central belt - you could try popping in to Achilles Heel on Great Western Road or Run4It on Bothwell Street as they are staffed by runners who will know what's going on locally.