Options

Scottish Runners

Comments

• Options
    Hi Nessie... didn't recognise you there... wish you all the luck in Argyll.. let us know how u get on...

Jane, I was at Fettercairn and it was freezing before the race, but soon warmed up whilst running.. congrats on the PB... I was carrying a bit of an injury but it was a good race... for some reason i had it in my head that Fettercairn would be "undulating" and so was expecting hills... but got a pleasant surprise to finf there was none!

As for all those doing the marathon this weekend.. the very best of luck.. I am actually flying down to london for the weekend and will be there cheering you on.. good luck and remember to enjoy the day..

• Options
    To all the Scottish runners who are heading down to London this weekend

BEST OF LUCK & HAVE A GREAT DAY

• Options
    Hi all

Hope everyone did well at London. Can anyone tell me where I can get a gait analysis done in Scotland?
    Ta
  • Options
    did the FLM yesterday. never been involved in anything like that in my life. WHAT AN ATMOSPHERE!

The spectators were superb,the orginisation was first class and the laugh i got with the other runners was fantastic.

go for it, it's an experience that you'll never.
  • Options
    did FLM yesterday, what a good day, pb by 1m 26s, good massage from macmillan, feel great. How about posting times to find first scottish runner home, any takers? 3h 23s 05s.
  • Options
    GradgeGradge ✭✭✭
    Mrs Mac,

i got my gait analysis and custom made orthotics from the podiatry department at Glasgow Caledonian University.I think they may have moved to the national Sports injuries clinic which is based at Hampden Stadium.the guy I saw was called Bob Campbell and he really seemed to know his stuff.
  • Options
    Hi all .. well I did London .. 13 mins of my PB ... 5hrs 19:02
    didn't struggle till 19 miles (sore knee gave me enough to focus on)
    The atmosphere was great and the crowds huge, but I won't do it again, I guess everyone is different, but I enjoyed the 200 plus at Loch Ness last year just as much.. maybe more. 2000 + are expected this year, (I'm doing Chicago), but next year I'll be back, Nessie hunting !!
  • Options
    Well done to Daisy for getting a PB, and to scotjim, and to any other Scottish runners in the FLM.

Thinking of entering the East Kilbride Half, whats it like.

• Options
    I heard .. and it's all hearsay .. that it is [ahemm] .. like EK it'self, tarmac roads and roundabouts ... not a beauty of a course etc. I have decided to do Dunfermline..1st June
    been looking at the entry form for weeks .. now I cant wait ... I must be bl**dy mad.
    only 3 days ago I was telling myself 'NEVER AGAIN' oops .. quickly forgotton. today 28 miles on my bike .. fell off again .. but no broken skin this time.. so it was an OK fall !!!
    but before that is the Glasgow 10k & Irvine Race for Life, keeping myself busy ;-)
  • Options
    Hi all
    Anybody doing Balmoral in 3 weeks time - any info on the course?
  • Options
    Hi Wee Col, not doing Balmoral but have heard it has a bit of a hill.

Thanks Daisy may think of doing Dunfermline in June, can you enter online?

Any other halfs in June?
  • Options
    hi all anybody doing lochaber marathon on the 27th. my first so hopeful for running weather.we're travelling up from arbroath on the saturday(4 males) should be challenging- guess who drew the short straw to drive home straight after the race
  • Options
    Rouken Glen 10k on Thursday evening 19th June at 7.30pm. Entry forms are now out if anybody wants a midweek speed training session. £3 for the afflicted oops affiliated who pre enter.
  • Options
    Hi There Wee Col

Balmoral "has a bit of a hill", it's great and looks like the head of the Coire Cas in Cairngorm when it is covered with Snowboarders! You know how they all stop and block the piste at the top of the T Bar on the Cas? Well the hill is long and slow and people just stop in front of you without moving to the side.

The hill is long and slow but is relatively gentle and once it's behind you well it's behind you, so to speak!

Balmoral is a nice run with loads of families to cheer you on as you struggle to the finish!

T
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Daisy - well done on a succesful FLM and bike crash! I hope you are planning GSR in September too.

Dougie - there's a thread on Events about the Lochaber Marathon - I think there are a few doing it. The weather's always a lottery in Fort William - it rains a lot but with the weather we've been having over the last couple of months, you never know. Last year's race was really wet, but I think it was lovely the year before. I'm not doing it, but if the weather's good, I may go down and do some cheering.

Jane - the Isle of Skye Half is on 14th June - but I think it's "undulating". I'd consider it if it wasn't a week before the Highland Cross. Should be nice and scenic though.
  • Options
    Nessie

How do you get a place on the Highland Cross? Did you sell your sister on a recent holiday to North Africa or have you mortgaged your Grannie's Hielan' Hame to buy your way in?

T
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    It's not what you know, it's who you know.

<<taps finger on side of nose>>

Thanks Speedie G!

I take it that if I hear of anyone with a spare place on a team, you would like to know about it?
  • Options
    greyhoundgreyhound ✭✭✭
    Nessie

Yes please!
  • Options
    greyhoundgreyhound ✭✭✭
    I am actually trying to get a team together at work to do the Corrieyairack Challenge, but having only limited success so far. I'd far rather these events had an individual entry section too - does anyone know of similar events that do?
  • Options
    There is a race (well there was last year) called the Nairnshire Challenge, I cant remember much about it but I know a couple of guys who did it and they enjoyed it (individual).
    Also if memory serves me correct there was a Glen Clova Challenge last year also (I think Fraser Clyne was involved in running it).
    Anyway I have been posted to flat and very flat East Anglia so no more Hill racing (sob, sob), if you want a decent run the Lairig Ghru race is on June 29th my one hill race for the year.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    The Nairnshire is an annual event, and tends to be used by a lot of the serious Highland Crossers as a training run, as it's in May. I think it's 13m run 13m bike or vice versa.

There's also the Speyside Way 50k, but I think it may be a team event too. I'll do a bit of research and see if I can find any more out about any of the runs.

B/f and I are planning to M/bike the Great Glen Way this summer. The rather sketchy plan at the moment is to take the train from Inverness to Kyle of Lochash, cross over to Skye, cycle down to the south of Skye, get the ferry to Mallaig, the train to Fort William then cycle back North through the Glen to Inverness.
  • Options
    I enjoyed the Great Glen Relay race last year - fantastic event with the minimum of fuss, just get your team from Fort W to Inverness ASAP by running the designated route.
    That sounds like an awesome MTB wish there was more hills and less people down here, mind you the weather is one compensation!
  • Options
    Nessie

Yes please. The Highland Cross is one of the things on my list along with learning to Telemark properly and skiing AND cycling the Sella Massif.

Sorry for the tardy response but I've been at the dentist having 2 fillings replaced!

T
  • Options
    Just got back yesterday from an extended stay 'down south' after FLM...amazing experience! i finished in 4h17m so as this was my 1st marathon I'm pleased.. Am now planning 'what next'... so can folks help me with dates/details of:
    Dunfermline 1/2; Lochness marathon...
    Cheers!!
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    mountaingoat - sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but the weather has been fantastic up here for weeks. I quite fancy the relay - maybe by next year I'll have joined the local club - I think they enter a few teams.

Teflon - Skiing is one thing I've never tried - but one day..... Sympathy on the dental front - I had a tooth removed a couple of weeks ago - ouch!

I'll keep an ear open for HC places for both of you.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    mands - Loch Ness is on 28th Sept.

Well done on your time - brilliant!
  • Options
    The Nairnshire Challenge is a 13m run and 18m bike for teams of three. I have a team entry but the rest of the team have pulled out and I'm having trouble finding replacements. Mainly because it clashes with the Aberdeen 10K on the 25th of May.

If anyone is interested let me know.
  • Options
    Nessie

Do you not come from the Queen of the Highland fleshpots? Yet you've never tried skiing? It's the best thing ever, even better than running(dare I say it here?) and you can sneak off in the middle of the winter and have one of the best holidays ever.

If you ever fancy it I have some friends in Aviemore who are instructors and can give you a good day out. Trouble is trying to find a reasonable day with good snow cover in the scottish winter.

T
  • Options
    for mands:

firstly well done in the flm
    the dunfermline half is on june 1st
    they have a site up for it
    http://www.andrew-carnegie.com/index.html

nick
  • Options
    Thanks.. will go take a look.