Options

Scottish Runners

Comments

• Options
    elspeth fayelspeth fay ✭✭✭

Gillian - fame, good article, hope it goes well for the two of you.

Starting to get nervous about Cape Wrath, had a little run this evening and legs felt rubbish - and all those hills to come! Just checked in on the website though and Tigerspaw has completed the half successfully. Apparently wet and windy over thereimage

Ianjames - good luck to you for Sun, hope it all comes together for you. Not feeling too optimistic on my behalf!

Still the boat is booked and dinner on Fri night and it's a great place so gotta get those legs moving!

• Options

hi people. quite a nice day at work today then gym. cycling to work was a challenge in itself today - it was flipping windy!!! image 

ooooh excellent Gillian!!! image Nice artucle, good luck on the day!!! image

Aww Im so jealous of all the Edinburgh runners now image

NEED a marathon to train for.... image Was thinking Dublin in October.

Signed up for Polaroid Helensburgh10k on Thursday. Did Clydebank last year. Not planning on doing the others.

Then next will be Greaves Rouken Glen 10k on 5th June (with THAT blooming hill image) probably then the 12th its either a local (free) 5k fun run or the Urbanathlon... Id love to do that as it looks so much fun but I know you have to pay 40 quid as its a charity fundraiser, so will wait and see image... so many races, so little time image

• Options

Thanks Sheesh, Elspeth.  Just looking at it and trying to work out how the hell I'm going to get there.  And, more importantly, how I'm going to get back from that finish.  I was planning on driving but that now looks like an act of utter folly.

Good to hear TP has finished her half.  I do hope Scotland's weather improves, both up North and out East, over the next few days!  Elspeth - not feeling optimistic in terms of race time, or just generally?

Tri - cycling would be a challenge, the day after a half!  Dublin does look good.  In terms of shorter runs there is one in Mabie Forest (a 10K) that looks interesting.  Lots of hills.  I've still never done a 10K.  And there's a lovely looking campsite at Mabie Forest that I'm thinking I'd like to go to afterwards.

Anyway, Ian, one race at a time.  And really, Sunday determines where I go next race-wise, I think.  A definite treat after it will be a pair of new running shoes.

Gillian - I now feel a little dense for thinking you were on the telly.  I had one of those "local interest" slots on regional news in mind.  Well, internet fame is good too.  Just ask Paris Hilton.  Err...no, actually, don't.   

Off to fanny around on the internet instead of getting an early night, I think.

• Options

Many thanks guys. Wasn't on the teli but this will do me. So glad I'd just had my hair dyed before I got my photo taken image
    IanJames I'm gold as well. Which suits me. I want to do the first half slow ..... very very slow and maybe speed up in the second half. Well thats the plan any way.  And I'll definatly be looking for strong drink at the end.
    Tri chick what about Elgin Marathon in Sept ? Nice rural flat course.
    Think it goes with the territory Elspeth. Aches and pains and nerves the week before a big race.
    Better go and see if there's any photographers from the Mail skulking on my stair !!

• Options
    IanJames meant to say where you coming from and how ? Train the best bet for most folk I think. Start is 5 minutes from Waverly Station and you can get a LRTimage bus from Portobello where it finishes back up to town. Don't even think about marathon official buses after wards. You'd grow old and grey waiting in the line for one. Unless of course you are already old and grey ??
  • Options

Morning

Gillian: Great article all the best.

Much better morning weatherwise today for running. Dry, mild and no wind.

• Options
    Yes, I beat Tri as first poster this morningimage
  • Options

morning. looks a little drier out this morning image (and less windy!! image)

Gillian, I did want to do Moray/Elgin (same 1, yes?) but unfortunately its on the 4th September which is the same day I come back from Ghana so its not an option. image All Scottish Marathons have evaded me this year what with injury (Lochaber) and forgetting to enter Loch Ness and now its only charity places available image 

IJ, it wasnt so much the cycling that was the problem per se, it was the blooming headwind that was the problem image Luckily the wind was with me on the way home image

Back seems to be aching a bit this morning, so think it will be a light jog this morning and see how it feels.

hoping for a nice day like yesterday... hope I haven't just jinxed it image

• Options
    yep fair play BM you beat me fair and square imageimage
  • Options
    ToomaiToomai ✭✭✭
    Tri, have you seen there's a Perth marathon in September this year?
  • Options
    ToomaiToomai ✭✭✭
  • Options

Morning Tri: To be honest you are usually first on here. Thats why I savoured 'my moment of glory' ! I'm like a big wean, so I amimage

Morning Toomai.

• Options
    ToomaiToomai ✭✭✭
    Morning all. Just getting back into the running after a 2 month break with a knee ligament strain. Was planning to do my first marathon in Edinburgh on Sunday but that went out the window with the ligaments. Have entered for Loch Ness in October instead. Just a wee 3.5 mile run this morning...shocking how the fitness has reduced even though I swam and cycled to try to keep fit.
  • Options

BM, I will gladly step aside and allow you your moment of glory! imageimage (just for today mind! image)

Nice easy run this morning, appreciated the lack of wind, rain and the presence of daylight all at once image Back is just stiff, has been since my bike accident. image Need to fit some more yoga in somewhere but not sure where I have the time!!image

Toomai thanks for the link - that is definitely an option for me image I did Loch Ness as my 1st last year - it was amazing!!!! And that "hill" around 18 miles just blends in to the rest of them imageimage..... ok so its a really big hill but you do feel erm... better once you get to the top!! imageimage Will be sorting latter races asap (as I need to sort hols from work)...

Meant to say IJ, I think leaving my watch on Sunday probably was no bad thing. If anything it does stop you getting RSI from looking at your pace every 3 seconds image

Right, shower and work are calling... *sigh... where is that winning lottery ticket?? image

• Options
    Tri - I thought the perthshire one was in June 2012?image
  • Options

morning all.

Elspeth, there have been bad storms at Durness and yesterday's races got cancelled apparently image

Problem with the new perthshire marathon is that a) it is too close to Moray and Loch Ness. b) I do not agree with the £30 entry and a pledge of £100 (entry = £130). I am maybe a bit of a pedant here, but not everyone runs for charity and I prefer to run for charities of my choosing and which are close to my heart. (Don't get me wrong as I have raised £10k for charity through my running, make personal donations and provide my time free for charities too). I just don't like it to be mandated in that way. A bit like I would never take a charity place in an event, I would rather rather do a ballot/personal entry and then rasie for the charity independantly to ensure that all the money I got went to the charity.

Gets off orange box image

• Options
    FFB - I thought I saw the results up for yesterday in Durnessimage? What is going on!
  • Options
    Anyone entered the Polaroid 10K series? I entered the full thing and haven't got my shiny free sunglasses yet. I assuming we'll get them at teh first race then? anyone shed any light on this?
  • Options

Good morning,

Gillian - I'm coming from Glasgow.  Thinking driving would not be the smart thing on that particular day, although I have driven in Edinburgh centre and don't remember it being the nightmare I was warned about (Glasgow much more frightening, for my money).  I'll just have to get up early!  Also means a small beverage after is a possibility!  Thanks for the advice with transport.  I was thinking marathon transport looked a bit of a nightmare.  As for old and grey...well, I guess its a matter of your perspective.  36 and the odd grey hair.  And large patches of my head where hairs used to grow but no longer do image.

Tri - I'm told they do a runner's yoga class on Saturday mornings pre-Park Run.  Starts at 8 a.m., and I've thought about it a few times.  Its in the "yoga barn".  Which I think is basically Dumbreck Riding School that they've decided to posh up a bit.  Yes, I definitely think there's a different attitude to races where I'm not obsessively timing myself.  The park run where I actually remembered my Garmin was the slowest (started off the fastest, and I'm sure that was the problem).  Now, can I contemplate Edinburgh without that pace-checking?  Possibly not. 

By the way, thanks for saying I could ask you about tri-related stuff.  I was generally wondering what a "beginner's kit" would look like.  And how much it would cost.  And whether someone who can swim a lot of breast stroke but not very much crawl and who doesn't currently cycle is being a bit optimistic thinking along such lines.  Hypothetically.  I'm not sure who "someone" might be... image

FFB - pass me that orange box when you're done.  Right there with you - I'll exasperate the people in my life with another request for charity money when they've forgotten about the last one.  And not before!  In the mean time, I'd like to be able to race without having to feel guilty because I'm not raising money.  It is actually getting to the stage where I'd rather NOT run for charity - but that feels a bit mean. 

Looking at Autumn runs.  Looks like Great Scottish Run (4th Sept, I think - or is it 11th?) and Spires and Steeples (17th Oct) make doing any of the other ones awkward.  Maybe that might actually be enough, though I wouldn't mind another run late in September.  Maybe between 13 and 26.  Not a kilomathon, money grabbing barstards. 

I think I'm doing a lot of blah today.  I'm blaming the pain killers I had at morning break.  Thankfully its not my legs, its just a weekend without enough sleep and the resultant head/neck related joy.  But I wasn't going to moan today.  And this post just keeps on getting longer.  Sometimes I wonder if I'd read to one of the end of my posts.  Sometimes I feel like throwing my hands up in the air.  Not very often though. 

Anyway, have lovely times on your wonderful Tuesdays.

• Options
    Hi Elspeth - not sure what going on then. maybe they did run it but some people, including my contact chose not to do. Will try and find out.
  • Options
    Hi Elspeth, Indeed yesterday's Cape Wrath events did go ahead, but very small field. I notice from the results that quite a few runners I know that are up there decided not to run, and a couple opted for the 10k rather than the half.
  • Options

Yikes not good in the far north. Should not be like this in May.
    Ianjames I always read to the end of your posts, They make me laugh (may be that says more about me than you of course !!)
    Away to the foot dr now then a whole half hours running !!

• Options

Aw, Gillian, that's good to know... glad my ramblings entertain someone other than myself. 

Good luck with that foot Dr.  Hope it isn't too serious!

• Options
    tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

Hi- just back from a week's holiday in Spain- only ran once!- but lots of hill walking.

Went out this morning-just 4 miles recvoery to get over yesterday's travelling- OMG- I feel bad! ( the extra 1/2 stone I put on on holiday won't be helping that!).

I've entered the whole Polaroid series, but it's alway's tricky for me to get to Helensburgh in time- depends how the clinic runs- even if I make it, I get the feeling it may be more of a trundle than an attempt on a good time!- still there's always the other 3!

Good luck to all the Edinburgh folk- have fun out there!- hope the run of heat- affected edin mara's doesn't continue this year (seems unlikley at present)

INteresting to put faces to e-persona - our 2 media stars Joe and Gillian (and take it easy Joe!)

2 weeks until the LochNess trainig programme starts in earnest- I wonder if I can shift that weight before I start?

• Options
    Joe VolcanoJoe Volcano ✭✭✭
    Ian, definitely keep those posts coming, like Gillian said. And don't worry about a few hairs here or there!image
  • Options
    First run since Saturday's race this evening - easy 3 miles. Lovely.
    Ian- Great Scottish Run definitely 4th Sept. I'm doing it too.
  • Options

hey image

No GSR for me this year image Only doing Helensburgh of the Polaroid series so no idea on the glasses - I did only register at the last minute though so not sure if I have to pick up my number at the race image

Elspeth, Perthshire 2011 - 10th September - however the £100 donation is very off putting. I am the same with charity. I did my 1st ever races for Yorkhill (as I was a patient from birth until 18yrs!) and ended up contributing half the money myself as people never came forward. That put me off and I agree, I like to donate of my own accord and not be forced to donate to a specific cause. Will have to think as there arent really any others in Scotland to choose from. Dublin it might have to be image

Hope all CW-ers are bearing up with the weather and all!! image

IJ, despite the name(!) I am more of a wannabe triathlete... and tend to participate in events involving all three sports but separately lol!! However, what I will say is, breast stroke is probably fine for pool based tris and it probably depends on the event but am sure its not banned in most events. Probably best to get in some crawl practice though. I couldnt swim a stroke of crawl until a few years ago. I taught myself. Would be good to actually get some tuition on it and see how my technique is but Im pretty sure it could be worse.

Re cycling, obviously bike and helmet are a must (most races dont let you enter without a helmet!) but you dont need much more. some people have tri suits, others cycle gear under wetsuit (if required). I cant cycle without my gloves these days but thats obviously not compulsory.

Swimming obviously just requires trunks, cap  and goggles and wetsuit if outdoor! I got my wetsuit for 30 quid from a wetsuit outlet online.

right bed time for me am absolutely shattered imageimage

• Options
    Alison Great Scottish run one of my favourites. Top support. Got my half PB there (1.48) in 2006 so it will always have a place in my heart image
    Foot Dr has played with my blisters, 3 miles run with toes taped up. All ok. Last 3 miler tomorrow then thats it till the big day. And there's a BEER TENT at the end. Think I'll just have a few frothies there if weathers half decent then go home to zzzzzzzzzzzz
    Tri chick quite agree about the charity thing. Was amazed to find out how many   £hundreds London charges charitys for the places they buy and sell on to runners. Far better to do your own thing so charity gets 100% of what you raise.
    Yikes I'm supposed to be on early nights this week !!
  • Options

Morning 2 in a rowimageimage

Good run this morning.I literally stumbled across a young deer which was only about 5m (max) away. It had been eating some brekkie from leaves/long grass. It sprinted away . Another stride I could have reached out and touched it image

• Options

hey BM image

Ive had a few wee connection issues this morning - hence you beat me 2 it image All sorted now though.

Aww you are always bumping into deer... wish it was me, I love deer. Very very rarely see the odd one around here but could be as little as a couple of times a year unless I venture to Strathy park.

looks like a nice morning, another slow one I think this morning then rest tonight.

Helensburgh 10k tomorrow.

Here's to another nice day at work. Something seems to have happened with our clinic lists and the appointments are better organised. Its made a huge difference to stress levels image