Options

Radio Worcestershire

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, really don't fancy the bags/sacks/panniers/whatever thing...and it must get progressively more difficult to fuel up...
  • Options
    AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

DON'T mention the P word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

Well done Flyers on completing it.........sounds too hard, panniers/sacks....gosh its bad enough carry full bottles on the bike.image Winning a Kitten would motivate me to doing it..maybe.image

Manicosity:- In the Oxford English Non Dictionary defines a disease of the cerebral cortex, resulting in a somnolent posture. As Crashie advises, the patient must take care not to take on too many tasks that could aggravate the condition and to avoid at all costs over exercise. Plenty of nutritious food and red wine in small doses (an extra glass is permitted) will help the condition.

Morning All. image

• Options

KEEPING FIT IS FUN

I'm out at 5.30 jogging in the park,

The Sun's not up,

Am feeling rough,

And its bloody cold and dark.

My legs are really aching,

Am running very slow,

I need the Loo,

I've lost me' shoe,

With another mile to go.

When next you're energetic,

Listen to what i've said,

Stay inside at half past five,

And don't get out of bed.!!

• Options

Fly - I am ever so glad you are back in one piece image  What a star.  I even joined Twitter to 'follow' Bassy and keep tracks of your progress.  And I really don't get Twitter.  Its just pages of people's brain vomit.  Suppose I might be 'following' the wrong people?

Crashie - given that I still have to sort, wash and pack all the holiday stuff this week, as well as dealing with the fayre (I hate it when fayre is spelt like that - isn't that an olde worlde version and shouldn't it just be a fair?  Or is that reserved for those things with ferris wheels?) aftermath I anticipate getting ill almost exactly at the moment at which the plane lands at Palma airport.  Then Wickett can be in charge, while I take myself off to bed for a couple of days.  Actually... image

• Options

Nice poem Lexi image

Your = you're?

• Options
    Wotsit - when do we not win anything in the raffle?? Is that at the Fayre?
  • Options

Wotsit.........imageimage Oops!!! image

I agree, i think you will feel a sudden surge of incapability and need lots of rest on a sun lounger........image plenty of fluids and local fayre.....as in food fayre...not fair fair, i think that would be fair enough to say. image

I need to run.....but feeling non energetic......think i have caught Manicosity.image

• Options

'sup Wusses

Welcome back Flyers, oarsum stuff. But if you went via Helm's Deep you probably took the slightly tougher route (and that climb into Mordor's a real killer).

Well tried Ant - a race on less than optimal training can be a good kick back into action.

musky - I'm reading The Snowman at the moment (based on various mentions on this thread of Jones Bo, as his name always reads to me).

Hello everyone else!

Nowt much happening here, but I've been 'outed' to the whole office as running the MK Marathon next year. I was going to anyway, but now I really am. Once I've got enough money to actually enter. image

• Options
    We did take the tough route. We went over the Cairngorms, apart from anything else. I mean - do we look like Grenadier Guards?!?!
  • Options

Tricky - hope the camp was good.  We've had glorious weather this weekend, hope you're getting the same.

Mmm, we had torrential downpours on Saturday afternoon, although #1 and #2 had a great time, and I had fun too. #2 absolutely loved rafting even if it did coincide with the heaviest downpour of the afternoon. #1 was sleeping in my tent (as he's only a Beaver). #2 was in a patrol tent with 6 other cubs. He came back with 2 pairs of jeans, 1 t-shirt, 1 long sleeved top and 1 pair of socks that weren't his. I haven't yet worked out what he's come back without (although it's definately his cub scarf).

I can now say that I've heard Metallica live (albeit from a distance of 5-6 miles).

D'you know that I found a 50m outdoor swimming pool, less than 5 minutes away from work (Letchworth) last week - brilliant! I shall be making use of it until it closes in September.

Still gutted for Bradley Wiggins, and as for all those shenanigans yesterday, I think best summed up in the three letter word wtf.

If anyone follows cricket you might be interested to know I was in an Indian Restaurant with Derek Underwood's daughter and grandchildren last night (I can't remember if I've shared with listeners that our new vicar's FiL is Derek Underwood).

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Hello!

Sorry I'm still not saying much, I'm still shellshocked after the race and getting back into the routine of things.

Flyers, I posted your parcel this afternoon, sorry I forgot.  How are you feeling?  Any way towards recovered yet?  The race went really well but I found being the RD stationed in Event Control on a radio very stressful and had really bad emotional highs and lows last week while trying to get used to eating and sleeping again.  We've had lots of positive feedback via our facebook page,. Twitter, e-mails.  It's very lovely to read those messages and makes all the stress and tears worthwhile.

I did a 100 miler for the IM training yesterday with some chums and crashed at 48 miles.  Fortunately I took no one else down with me.  Unfortunately there was no quick way home so I did the rest of the ride anyway.  Today my arm aches.  I have accumulated lots of HTFU points with my friends.

Wotsit - did you get the job?

• Options

Oooh - I did, yes.  Thank you for asking image  I've asked to work 3 full days, which gives me a bit of leeway so that either if there is some teaching I can squeeze it in and if there isn't, I can ask for another day later in the year.  Or be a 2 day lady wot lunches.

Mouse - we know you are well hard.  Well rid.

• Options

Afternoon all!

flyaway - what can I say - amazing stuff image  Welcome back and I hope that you are recovering well and basking in the glory of a job well done
    Mouse - ouch re the fall but well done on just getting on with it
    Wotsit - congrats on the job and on the summer fayre - good stuff

Re PE/sport in schools - your children should be having 2 hours of curriculum PE a week but in my experience, especially in KS1 this equates to (at least) 15 minutes changing time, 30 mins of PE and 15 mins of changing - they do get quicker so KS2 children probably get 45 mins each time.  They should also get swimming in KS2 - although our school only offers each class 1 term's worth of swimming (and that is instead of rather than on top of PE).

I would ask for more extra-curricular clubs - dependent on the staff being willing or on parents paying - we offer cheerleading, tennis and one football club (for all ages) which are to be paid for (normally £2 a session which, for tennis at least, is much cheaper than you pay elsewhere).  We also offer football, netball, rounders, cricket and tag rugby - although that is all to KS2.  Make sure that the PE co-ordinator is making the most of all cluster/district events - however, my experience is that most activitiesare arranged for year 4 upwards - although there should be some KS1/Year 3 events.  With the demise of SSCOs in the High Schools, this may become more difficult but there are things going on if the school engages - e.g. Lloyds TSB national school sports week.  Schools tennis membership costs a primary school £15 a year and comes with resources, the opportunity to ask for a grant for equipments (I have applied the last 2 years and been successful) and the opportunity to apply for Wimbledon tickets in the schools ballot (I have applied on behalf of the school the last 2 years and been successful).  There will be other local initiatives - the girls football is very active in Herefordshireand badminton and netball regularly send flyers to the school.  The local high school may have links and we have had the opportunity to have young keen coaches help out clubs (which has meant we have been able to open up clubs to years 3&4 as well as 5&6).   Let me know if I can provide any more info image

Oh and the PTA - and I think you may have a way in there image - can help by offering to pay for equipment, training, coaches etc. etc.

For everyone else, ooh look there goes a squirrel.......

• Options
    HL - that is brilliant, thank you image
  • Options

Morning all.

Well done Mouse - RD is an underestimate role, isn't it? Very stressful indeed. Not quite sure why I want to make my career in it, sometimes!

I am £82 worse off after a visit to the dentist for a replacement filling. With apologies to Crashie, why so expensive?? This means I can put petrol in the car or eat this week. Great.

• Options
    Because privately, dentists can charge what they like! (and that's not an NHS fee) In defence of dentists, you should see the additional costs that get piled on on a regular basis eg when I qualified, it was £45 to register with the General Dental Council (a requirement) ; it's now 10x that; indemnity insurance (required) is now over £2k a year, it's £130 to register every nurse and receptionist (now a requirement), dental materials go up by 5.4% a year etc Next year we'll have to fork out an additional £2k to register with the CQC, who are now doing a job with general nurses that the local PCTs used to do, for nothing, with dentists. It still ain't cheap for a filling though image
  • Options
    BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Morning all!

Finally I get some time off - can't believe how busy I am at the mo.. but I have time tomorrow afters so intending getting out and about on Selina. Fingers crossed for the weather.
  • Options

Cloudy but OK here, Mr B...

So you gave up the busy job and took on... image

Mousers, hope you're not too sore today.

Wotsers, good news on the job image

Deadly Derek, eh, Trickers? He was damn good...

HL, nice squirrel!

• Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭

Ouch, Mouse - really enjoyed spectating at the Tri (a bit curious about a few DQs)

Congrats Wotsit

Well done Flyers. There was rumour that there was going to be a proposal at JoG when my friends got there last wedneday, but I haven't heard anything

There was nearly an inch of rain in Bristol On friday night, most of which fell between 19:30 and 20:30 when I was marshalling the Towpath race (Mouse I took down a laminated Tri Bristol sign from the bridge over the railway on the Towpath)

Car is bring serviced and MOT'ed today/ tomorrow, so caught the bus in this morning. Bus driver got off in Broadmead to get something to eat(?) from McDonalds and it wouldn't start up. Had to change buses and then get a taxi from Kingswood to the office

• Options
    Sorry Crashie - wasn;t getting at you, just life in general!
  • Options
    In Jones Bo news, Waterstones have them on 3 for 2 at the mo and if you buy The Times today, you can buy the new one (The Leopard?) for £2.99 in WHSmiths.  We now have 4 books for our holidays.  Hurrah!
  • Options

I know you're not, Min (and I think he's a bit pricey too) but that's the standard justification image Part of the problem is the 'professionalisation' of jobs; once upon a time, you could be apprenticed to a dentist and become one a few years down the line; now it's 5 years at university and a year afterwards as a vocational trainee; now dental nurses have to be qualified and registered too.

As with a lot of jobs, the relevant professional body squawks about their members' skills being recognised and that they deserve adequate payment, which comes from a progressively more closed shop. You see it to some extent in all professions.

Of course, there's then a modern urge to over-regulate, which adds costs too. I give you OFSTED, CQC, etc.

• Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    Wotsit wrote (see)
    In Jones Bo news, Waterstones have them on 3 for 2 at the mo and if you buy The Times today, you can buy the new one (The Leopard?) for £2.99 in WHSmiths.  We now have 4 books for our holidays.  Hurrah!
    Mmm that means buying the Times, but I suppose I can leave it behindimage
  • Options

Not sure what happened to our sun today, apparently it was roasting in Edinburgh, but overcast and a bit ordinary down here. Still, I have been moderately productive.

musky - we had a wedding when we got to Gretna Green, does that count?

Mouse - yes, I feel great. Mind you, I havent done anything remotely resembling exercise yet, so I guess you never know. I really really ought to go swimming before this tri, as it is, no word of a lie, a year since I last went, but I wouldnt hold my breath for it if I were you. I found that with the feedback thing when I did 24-7 - suddenly it makes it much more worth while all the hours you put in, when you realise what people have got out of it. Do keep those messages, as I also felt a bit flat when it was over. Although, I countered that by cycling 950-or-whatever miles in 11 days.... 

Wotsit - excellent news, well done! When do I cross my fingers for a raffle prize?

Crashie - Boo to regulation. I think you ought to be able to just walk down the street with a set of pliers, but then I think thats a good enough reason not to put me in charge.

In other news, I went to the bike shop, but managed to leave without actually spending any money. Only cos everything I need was out of stock though, so I shant be so lucky on Thursday.

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

By contrast I didn't go to the bike shop and managed to spend a fortune simply by dropping my bike off there yesterday.  One new tyre, cassette, chain and cables.  I'm going to see where I can not go shopping next.

I have reached that bi-polar stage of training where the chemical highs of the exercise leave you feeling great but about half an hour after you get home you are shattered again, with a huge pile of stinking kit, your belly feeling like your throat has been cut and a stark reminder that the hard weeks mean the housework hasn't been done.

It's at times like these I have to really concentrate not to think I have depression.

I think the answer is to microping my leftovers and go to bed with my trashy magazine.  All the shit will still be there in the morning.

Musky - there were only a 'few' DQs/penalties - mainly for drafting, one for abuse of an official.

• Options

Flyaway - tomorrow.  K is very excited at the idea that you and Bassy might have to come and visit again, in order for you to take her and C to the Lido with your winning ticket.  I'll cross that particular bridge when we come to it...

I have invested in short shorts and more than one item of swimwear, which is the direct result of my 'run every day' strategy making me feel much fitter and more streamlined (I've stopped looking at the scales) I really recommend this low volume training, over the high volume stuff for making you feel all powerful.  This is probably a bad time to mention that, right?

Mouse - it will.  Why not schedule in cleaning, in the same way you would training and don't think about it the rest of the time?  I find that when I've got lots of work on that is the only way I can not lose my mind.

• Options

*peers down back of sofa and locates two minds and a mojo*

Morning gentlefolk.

Mousers, don't worry 'bout the cleaning and stuff; one job at a time; sometimes, multitasking sucks.

Wotsers, I am trying something similar with running 5 days a week; I'd like to think it's helping me...

• Options

Morning All.

Agree re Dentists, mine has the same problems and at one point was considering going private (OMG NO), but for some reason they didn't..... Phew!! Instead of the NHS throwing money at IVF, Liposuction?Gastric bypasses, they should have properly invested in Dentistry, which as i have proved, is a dam site more important then bigger tits/smaller bums.!!

Well done on the regular running peeps.

Wotsit i still have two books i have not read yet . Lucky the guy who gave me them has not asked for them back, instead he said pass on , by the time i have read them they will be a classics not a new read.!!image

Last night was SOoo funny/scary and i had to do some pretty neat driving. I went running round Chester walls with young Sam (who's practicing running barefoot). We parked in the Park and Ride...and Ran!! After 2 mile Sam was gasping, the pace i thought was fast and I worried i wouldn't keep up ( i trained hard Monday nightimage). Then Sam said could we walk his tummy was playing up...phew yes.!! We spent the rest of the time jog walking (suits me). Getting back to the Park&Ride Carpark at 7.20pm, the gates were locked.image Sam goes into panic mode "Lex am sorry i didn't know, what are we going to do". I noticed a gap too the left of the gate, up a grassy banking, it would mean getting the car up the banking, far enough to miss the gate post, then quickly turn down through a gap to miss the lamp post on the other side and gently drop the wheels off the curb, minding the low suspension. I managed to get the car up the curb and onto the banking, revs low, the car was at an angle(crikey) slowly crawled past the post dreading the car would slide down, then quickly i turned the wheel and straightened it up to just miss the lamp post. Sam was like " WoW....i should have filmed it for YouTube that was awesome driving skills".image All i could think was 'Oh Man' my Car!!!!!! Think we will park somewhere else in future.image

• Options

Is that today or tomorrow then Wotsit? I am losing track!

As my Grandma said, Mouse - the house won't fall down for a bit of dust. But I do know what / how you feel. being much the same!

My Garmin appears to be dead, but I have to say it is a joy talking to customer services at Garmin - they are so helpful. Problem not yet solved, but almost within my putting the phone down he had emailed me a list of options and instructions.