Options

Radio Worcestershire

Comments

• Options
    I have the Tour, a gallon of tea and a bag of salt & vinegar hula hoops. I may be here for some time.
  • Options

Sounds perfick to me, Flyaway!

• Options

I wonder if the peeps at work if I take tomorrow off sick? I can't watch the highlights in the evening as I'm going to a bbq.

5 x 3 min intervals with 90 sec recoveries don't get any easier do they?

And in a slightly on topic reference - I have the dentist tomorrow morning (just a check-up)

• Options

Yesterday it was tomorrow, but today it is today.  Profound. image

Tricky - that is why they invented recordable devices.  Who has a social life during Le Tour anyway?  Oh and they shouldn't get easier, but you should get faster.  I quite like 5 x 3min intervals.  Its the longer ones I don't like.

• Options
    Morning all. I have realised my dentist is not NHS after all. D'oh. Luckily there are two NHS practices nearby taking patients on, so as I don't expect to have any money for a good few years, I shall swap practices.
  • Options

Told ya so! image

Morning gentlefolk; it is now what only yesterday we were calling tomorrow.

Nice stunt-driving, Lexers!

What are these intervals of which you speak? I might start doing some in a few weeks, once I've got the mileage up a little. At the moment, I'm working on 'running' with occasional 'running a bit faster/up hills/down hills'...

I now have a craving for s+v Hula Hoops image

• Options

Regardless of what others might think, Salt & Vinegar is The Only crisp flavor.

Wotsit - did we win, did we win?!

Hmm, intervals. Fun on a bike, not so fun on your feet. I ran yesterday, first time in kin weeks, but it wasnt so bad after all. Or that could be because I only went 3.5miles. 

Tricky - can you not get the BBQ hosts to bring your cremated offering to you in front of their TV?

I thought about going to the dentist, but now i just cant be bothered. I dont have any money either, having spent it all on trains and beer.

• Options
    Trains and beer infinitely more fun than dentists, Flyaway., Except our lovely Crashie of course!
  • Options
    Flyaway- sorry, but no. K says to apologise but some of her friends won instead. Probably for the best. Thank you for the lovely card, btw. We were delighted to help, despite the madness all around!

3.5 miles is a delightful distance to run. I did 6 today, for the first time in AGES. It was ok, though I'm feeling it in my tight bits.

• Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭

Afternoon All

Had to go to collect my car from annual service/ MOT yesterday, which meant catching the 14:01 bus home. It wasn't worth going back to work , so got by hair cut and had a snooz.

Car cost £280 - needed a bit of welding and a couple of bushes in the front suspension

• Options

Musky....Did you take your car to the garden centre. image

Min....Bless You.!!

Morning All.

Yesterday i tried a Chocolate/Beetroot Cake.....mmnn for some one who doesn't normally eat cake or like beetroot... .it wasn't bad at all.! I was taking my friend,Debs who had the bike accident, out for a change of scenery. We stopped off at a cafe in Mold (Dottys Cafe), the lady who owns it was in my IT class and Debs is our tutor. So it was a nice catch up.

• Options

Wotsit - Awww. I am, of course, intensely disappointed. Can we lodge a formal complaint? Surely it was rigged? Our odds were so gooood......
    I ran 6 miles yesterday too. Until today I had every intention of swimming. Now it comes to the crunch, I may have lost the drive.

Did Wotsit not make chocolate/beetroot cake last year? Apparently its quite nice. But it has chocolate in, so I wont be first in the queue.

• Options

Bless you, Min.

Morning gentlefolk!

Musky, ouch, but I guess it can't be helped; motoring is a mug's game (and I'll be spending £70-odd on a tank of diesel later image)

I ran 10 then another 3.6 yesterday; I didn't find the 3.6 at all easy image

• Options

Ah - that pesky last 3.6, eh?

I've just been to the factory shop and stocked up on E Numbers - Teddy is coming for a sleepover tonight - we are going to camp in the back garden. Should be a fun. He's never camped before and is most excited. image

• Options

So I went to the dentist yesterday and got told I need a filling. Bah.

BBQ was good, and I watched the tour live via the internet. Apparently G didn't realise he'd have won 5K if he'd gone over the Tourmalet first. Shame Hoogerland lost his jersey, but good that Cav kept his.

District Scouts swimming Gala tonight - I guess I'll have to do the leaders race. Again. I do have a good track record in it though image

I'm at our Welwyn Garden City offices today, so I shall be doing a route, part of which involves running alongside Welwyn Garden City golf club (4th hole I think). It's imaginitively titled 'route 1' and is mainly inside Sherrardspark woods, although the fact it involves the golf club is kinda topical.

PS #1 is doing a triathlon on Sunday.

• Options

I'll be spending £70-odd on a tank of diesel later

I spent £68 doing that this morning (and the warning light hadn't even come on). I feel violated.

• Options

I decided that a good definition of getting old was the first time you spent more on a tank of juice than you took home in a week in your first job; I cleaned riverts for a year for £45 a week when I was 18, but this mark has been blown out of the water with recent fuel priice rises...

Good luck in the race image

• Options

Afternoon all

Well RD'd and HTFU'd Mouse and well jobbed Wotsit!

Good luck to #1.

I get round the fuel costs by only ever putting around £20 in each week (which means I'm normally on the warning light for a couple of days).  I like it when I'm doing business mileage and I get the illusion of a full tank for free, even though I'll end up using most of it for work. image

Proud uncle link...

• Options

OH wow SVT - that's fantastic! A very very proud uncle, I should think! Do you think she could give us some swimming hints?

My car is in the garage so I have my nephew's rather beaten up old Ford Fiesta (Y reg) van. It shakes like crazy if you go over 50 mph, so as a consequence I have tootled around all week - including hiking up and down the motorway to work. So far £30 has lasted me nearly 300 miles. I pay £56 (ish) to fill my car and get about 400 miles. I shall be employing the 50 mph method when I get that back to see if it makes a difference. It's also quite fun tootalling along the M53 and knowing you are bugging people - haha!  I especially like it when they go roaring past me on the A40 and then I tootle up behind them at one of 9 sets of traffic lights I go through!

• Options

Min - only for super-super-sprints, she's a 50m swimmer!

And thumbs up to dropping the speed (if time allows).  I've trained myself not to race up to the speed limit when driving around MK, as constantly accelerating to 60 or 70 then slamming the brakes on at each roundabout does tend to cost a lot in fuel and brake pads.  And I just tootle along at no more than the speed limit on the motorway, less sometimes.  The fuel efficiency I get in a 50mph roadwork zone is fantastic.  And it is amazing how you don't seem to get places any slower, which makes little sense. Maybe it's just that when you drive slow, you're much more relaxed about everything and don't notice the time fly by. image

• Options

Driving faster often doesn't help! When I had my flash car, I used to catch up with slow-moving traffic very quickly, then spend ages following them at their speed; now I have a slower car, I get more driving fun as it takes longer to catch up with the slower traffic image

I find driving slowly on the motorway to be terribly hard work, though; it's quite hard to overtake something as just about everything else is overtaking you.

Nice proud uncle moment; sounds like she's damn good! image

• Options
    Well, I just called the garage. The man there is a star and has kept my car going far longer than many would. It will cost me £127 now, but he has, as he put it, patched it up for now. The cylinder head is on the way out and he advises me that the cost of fixinf that outweighs the car. Talk about stuck in a rock and a hard place. Can't afford to fix it. Not worth fixing it anyway. But can't afford to buy another one and all the usual avenues of finance etc are shut to me because of this situation with my brother. But if I don't drive I can't work... and round and round in circles we go.
  • Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭

afternoon all

Since the weather has got hotter my MPG has dropped back to about 39 due to ac.

great reading, Proud Uncle

Happy camping Min, bad news about the car.

Did 4 mile lunchtime and am on a bit  of a high still

Lexi, I thought that there was joke in there about bushes, but couldn't find one

• Options
    Hello

I'm doing a minimum of 460miles/week to get to this new job so am having to fill my tank up twice a week!! Driving on the M-way instead of country lanes has increased my mpg by 10-20% though.

I have used my early Friday finish to go swimming at Cheltenham Lido. It's a 50m pool but is a bit chilly at the moment. 50m seems a lot further than 2*25m, I must get a lot of distance of my push-offs in a normal pool.
  • Options

Musky.......i thought others would pick it up, guess i was hedging my bets. image

Good luck to those who are racing this weekend. I shall be standing in the pouring rain on Sunday at Llandudno Tri directing traffic with a policeman...nice.!!

Once again silly me has left her MP3 player in the changing room at the gym. I had gone for a coffee before continuing my training (which i ended up not doing coz i was looking for the MP3 player) I didn't realise i had left it on the bench. 2 ladies noticed it, but didn't pick it up. (someone has) .it still hasn't been handed in.......this one is SOooo expensive as it is waterproof. Silly really, because without the adapter for the computer it wont re charge, and the headphone extension lead is needed if it is to be used for running/gym. Arrh well teach me not to put things down !!!! imageimage

• Options

Arrgh, Lexi! We'll helpfully staple the next one to your head if you like image Hope it turns up soon! Tree-mendous pun though <groan>

Unlucky, Min! What a pain in the proverbial! Damn cars.

Ant, you need a diesel...
    Pushing off is cheating BTW image

Nice lunchtime run, Musky

I've just been out running for a loop; in strange goings-on, I spotted a document wallet (A4 size, built-in calculator) and a cheque book, plus some other documents, discarded in the hedge. it took me 20 min to get home then 20 min to shower and go back out to the spot in the car; when I got there, it had gone <plays Twilight Zone music> I mean, if I were hallucinating, I'd have hallucinated Mila Kunis, right?

• Options

Hello.

If you fed and watered me and discussed crap cd collections and saddle sores I thank you.

If however you deliberately went on your holiday to avoid me.......

Just nipping in to thank you for the support, texts, tweets, food, drink, laughs (delete as applicable) whilst we were away. Twas fun. Highlights for me included

flyaway falling down the stairs, flyaway falling off her bike cycling out a carpark, flyaway tripping and nearly falling in a canal, flyaway trying to attack me on the col de small hillock outside Carlisle, that lasted 2 seconds!, flyaway being just as smelly as me, flyaway making me laugh as the buffet cart man on the train explained to his mate he would get past my bike by ramming it, flyaway picking the dodgiest holes in scotland to stay in, flyaway chicking a load of grenadier guards, flyaway becoming an asthmatic once she discovered ventolin, flyaway noticing how kin great my calves look, flyaway taking me to lunch in a costcutter carpark (Dr peppers not a good seller in Scotland) flyaway revealing that if the choice is me or Nicole Kidman shes going gay, flyaway locked on my wheel as we TTd across some dale in the lakes, passing some local riders at about 25mph, for a 30 mile stretch we must have looked vaguely competent and flyaway for being almost as bigger flirt as I am.

I would also like to thank her for sharing the load on the last day. I would like to, but I cant cos she didn't! lol but on the plus side I pretended to be Jens Voight super domestique. I actually felt good about myself for getting you there, despite your screaming like some primitive cavewoman!

I will write a report one day, but to precis. Its a tough job, but fun, Dont carry your stuff unless you have to, wear bib shorts to do Freddie Mercury impressions (hammer to fall is best song to murder)and if you want our gpx files of the route, ask. Oh and dont stop in the cycle tea rooms in Audlem, as a geezer in a wheelchair will say you are rubbish, and pc says you cant retort, "yes but better than you stumpy"

Oh and Im a cycling God, and my bike is better than yours, whatever you own. That is a cast iron 100 percent fact.

To Helms Deep- We Ride! (well it was Helmsdale but it was kin hilly ,kin rainy, kin windy and kin desolate!) 

thks again

bassy

xxxx

• Options

So, to sum it up, highlights were... ME!!!

Yeah, that sounds about right.

I forgot about opinionated-wheelchair man. But you forgot the most important piece of advice - stay the hell away from Lochmaben!

Highlights I would add include: bassy making me laugh so hard I nearly couldnt overtake a a 70 year old man on a mountain bike ("A kills a kill"), bassy's calves, bassy high on codydromol ("it was a lovely dead badger!"), bassy stealing the win in several races I was unaware we were participating in, bassy's calves, bassy becoming my personal pharmacy, bassy drowning under scatter cushions, bassy's look of utter incomprehension when it was suggested his bike would be fine outside, bassy's calves, bassy doing Rocky Horror Show or Mr Mercury impressions, bassy being converted to the best card game invented since time immemorial...

I started to write a report, and then got distracted and wrote something else. Or watched the Tour. Whichever.

The making or breaking of cycling from one end of the country to the other is the company you choose. As such, this was an unequivocal success. Bank.

• Options
    That card game was the biggest pile of do do ever!