Options

Sub 2:45 FLM 2006

Comments

• Options
    Hey Marcel - good to see you made it here!

MikeB - you'll recognise Marcel as sporting the famous turquoise vest of Barnsley AC.

Another happy recruit:-))

• Options
    what country is Marcel from BR (or Marcel for that matter!) If Mayock had been up for a shot at it you never know about team medals!
  • Options
    Mike - he's a good Barnsley lad:-)

If you look at his last marathon result (he was 14th) you'll clearly see his from Barnsley AC

:-))

http://www.tiberias-marathon.co.il/extra/results/marathon_results.htm
  • Options
    Or even `he's'

Grammar violation:-(
  • Options
    BR: Haven't the government just introduced legislation to prevent abuse of the elderly?

Sorry! Taper madness!
  • Options
    Best of luck to everyone. Stick to your plans, and enjoy the closing miles whatever state you're in.

Dibs - The very best of luck on the day - the work is done and I'm confident a sub 2h40 awaits you, sorry i can't be there (though i suspect i couldn't stick with the pace anyway!)

BR sorry to hear you're not running. It's my son's 5th birthday so i'm missing this one but will be back for sub 2h30 next year.
  • Options
    Dibs: You get a good write up in this weeks AW.

• Options
    AF - I know I had an e mail from the guy who wrote the article saying 'i hope you dont mind me suggesting you could be in line for 2nd Brit?'. At that point i didnt know the article had already been printed. Picked it up yesterday, I am now even more terrified!! No pressure or anything!!

I do think he is being very complimentary, if not a little mad!

Such a lot has happended in the last 12 months, I never dreamt I would have got this far, so acheiving a P.B has always been the aim, by how much all depends on the day..as we all know anything can happen.

To think 18 months ago I hadnt broken 3 hours (3.06) and was thinking about taking up badminton. I was hardly running at all, perhaps 3 or 4 times a week at about 8 min miling. Just shows what a bit of Structured and consistant training can do.

However, I know there are alot of lifestyle issues I will be addressing after the marathon, which I think can only improve my times......namely NUTRITION. I have developed the biggest suger addiction. Cakes, muffins and more cake, not good! Has anyone else found they crave sweet things inbetween training sessions?

Dibs x
  • Options
    Dibs, I find I crave sweet things after short races. Freshly baked triple chocolate chip cookies are my favourites.

Other than that I'm quite good at sticking to boring carby stuff of a lower GI nature. And pizza once a week, apart from the 4 weeks leading up to the marathon.

Nice talking about food in one of the 3 days we need to eat just about all the carbs we can!
  • Options
    I definately crave sweet food more than I used to.

Should I be carbo loading today? I was going to wait until tomorrow.
  • Options
    Matt - yes yes yes.

hot cross buns are the way forward i think!

I have just consulted Jamie Olivers Italian cookbook, for inspirational thoughts re; tonights dinner.

God, I hope i can fit into my crop top on Sunday!

Dibs x

p.s JEJ - mm I do love double choc chunk 'ben's cookies' in Bath, they are huge! washed down with a large cup of tea!
  • Options
    Are people using the 10g per kg of bodyweight per day rule? I'm worried this is going to be too much and leave me bloated. How are people taking in their carbs - in drinks, pasta, toast? I suppose a mixture is probably best, to stave off boredom if nothing else.
  • Options
    I'll be taking on mostly bread & pasta for my carbs - my body seems to handle it well, but nutritionists would probably favour other sources.

Not sure about any g/kg rules, but I'll be eating carby stuff throughout the day, but never too much at once. Low GI carbs today, and low residual stuff for tomorrow lunch. To avoid being bloated on the start line, I will have my last big meal tomorrow lunchtime, and a very light evening meal.

Also increasing water intake as the body needs 4g of water to store every 1g of carbs.

Matt - today is the key day for carbo loading so start ASAP.

Dibs - only double choc? You should check out Sainsburys taste the difference triple!

Best of luck to all - and maybe see some of you at the green start / during the race.
  • Options
    Is that 10g of carbs?
    I had 100g of carbs in my pasta lunch, not sure I could face eating 6 1/2 times that amount in one day.I guess drinks must be part of the answer.

Dibs - def hot cross buns, could eat loads of them - but what about all that butter??

Last run this morning 5 at marathon pace, fingers crossed now.
  • Options
    Thanks JEJ - didn't know that about the water.
  • Options
    Learned people say that saturday is too late, you should be easing off loading saturday, and stop eating by 6pm.

The idea is that you dont run with a gut full of digesting pasta, and only carry your breakfast + a bit extra.

Im trying this approach this time, so im filling my face all day today!

I WISH I COULD EAT PASTRY AND FLAPJACKS :(
  • Options
    Sick of porridge and pasta, shall give that up for a few weeks after Sunday.
  • Options
    The problem with eating lots of fruit, is that it makes me fart.

I would avoid the guy in the dewsbury vest on the green start...
  • Options
    I dont know about everyone else, but im eating a lot of cheese next week.

and chocolate eggs
  • Options
    Bring on Monday:

http://londonrunning.co.uk/chocolate.jpg

That's my drawer at work. Been collecting chocolate but not eating it for a while now. And yes, they are in alphabetical order.

Look out for me in the 'run-walk' forum next year!
  • Options
    I went for a monster Sloppy Guiseppe pizza. Obviously far too much fat and salt but what the hey.

Picked up my number from the expo today. Unremarkable really - although Start Fitness are knocking out Asics Nimbus (old colourway, current shoe) for £50 quid.

I'll have Chariots on the vid tomorrow for the motivation although it didn't work last year!
  • Options
    And yes, I should be in bed.
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Dibs, your progress over the past eighteen months has been remarkable. However it's a just return for your commitment and hard training. I'm sure you're now a role model for a lot of people who post on the forum. Although my days of rapid improvement are long gone I'm still thrilled to see it in others.

So on Sunday, run well and run strong, and bring a smile to all our faces.
  • Options
    ahhh I feel all emotional. Thanks Tom.x

Just packed my bag, leave at 12 for the team hotel, absolutely petrified of all the eliteness of it all. However, it does give me a chance to get Haile's autograph.

This will be my last post, so i truly hope my next one is a happy one, I will be crossing everything for you all tomorrow, so a BIG good luck. Keep calm and confidient in all your hard training over the last hard few months. I cannot wait for my 2 week slob out!

Rundown - oh ye butter not marg, and toasted!!

Take care everyone. Dibs x

• Options
    Good luck Dibs and get his book - very inspirational. Good luck all for tomorrow.

• Options
    How did we all get on? I am chuffed to bits with my 2.42.24.

Hope everybody else went ok.
  • Options
    2.41.38.....pb but gutted to miss 2.40 barrier which was my target. Bang on 6min/,miles to 20m then slowly started to tie up, last 2m very hard but hung in there. Oh well...just bought P&D Advanced Marathoning and I will break 2.40 in autumn or next yr !!!! well run everyone
  • Options
    I did 2:42:14, so looks like we were all pretty close together. 8 minute pb for me so very happy. I reckon the chaos that was the green start cost me at least half a minute as well. I'll never start from there again.

I'll let others post their own times but I think there will be at least two very happy runners this morning.
  • Options
    Well done all!

2:44:20

A spot over 2:02 at 20M, but I was slowing and mentally lost the will to go for sub 2:40. As it happened I only just made it over the line - collapsing on my last stride and possibly winning the prize of being first into the medical tent. I'll have to remember that trick, as all the physios appear to be beautiful ladies - they had nothing else to do so I had one on each leg and a third chatting to me!

At least I'll have a AAA's start for next time, but I'm switching to middle distance mode for the summer, then ideally trying to get into sub 2:30 shape for next year - will have to wait and see on that front.
  • Options
    JEJ - having read your post on the sub 3 thread I realise that I ran with (or near) you for a couple of miles at about 9 - 10. At least I think it was you - our splits match at that point, and the person I was running with was wearing red white and blue mayflys... I was going to ask you at the time whether you were JEJ, but it sounds like you had enough people doing that as it was!