Options

Sub 2:45 FLM 2006

Comments

• Options
    Shaggy.Shaggy. ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the PB and victory Dibs, another huge step forward - sub 6mm.
    When is the Singapore marathon?
    Sounds like you'll be well prepared for the heat/humidity.How many sessions per week are run in the dreaded heat chamber?
  • Options
    dec 4th, fly out on the 1st.

I have only just started training in the chamber. but plan to do 3 sessions a week and the rest in gloves and hat!! dibsx
  • Options
    Dibs - congrats on the PB and good luck for Singapore. Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately my enthusiasm to welcome in my Vets career (2 months today) overlooks the fact that the body takes longer to recover - not run since Abingdon - niggling calf still (but not too surprising given it was tightening from 19 miles) and then slipped down the stairs and jarred my back yesterday (perhaps I should fit a stairlift?). Physio today and again on Wednesday. The lack of running is worse than tapering, especially as my FLM cheque's cleared ... back to climbing the walls ...
  • Options
    Shaggy.Shaggy. ✭✭✭
    Hope you are all well.

Worksop Half today - should have stayed at home.
    Had a fuzzy head for a few days but thought I'd be ok once I got going - I wasn't.
    Seemed to be working hard the whole way and pace felt ok but every mile split showed about 6mins rather than the hoped for 5.43's - finished in 79.09.
    Oh well, I enjoyed the race anyway and I live to race another day - Keyworth here I come.

BR - I see you finishing as I was crawling back to baggage area - you're looking lean (although the drowned rat look takes a few pounds off us all) hope you enjoyed pace making duties.
  • Options
    Stu C - not a fast course I think - everyone I know was a little down on their times in the 75-80 mins bracket. Very humid as well.
  • Options
    Good to see you posting again Stu C- perfectly respectable performance for you today I would say especially given BR's comments. (of course for me it would be brilliant:-)!) Hope the job change has been positive for you btw.

Hope the training is going well Dibs- don't envy you training in that chamber though.

S3oB- Seems like you have had a hard time since Abingdon. But a bit of a break will do you no harm. You must have incredible potential if you can run as fast as you do on 35mpw.

As for me, well since Cardiff running has taken a bit of a back seat especially as I am presently involved with building an extension to my house. I am however back into some sort of daily routine with my running and I am signed up for the Bedford 1/2 marathon in December. I don't think I am going to be doing much beyond 50mpw until the new year. Just can't find the time at the moment. Am planning on doing Edinburgh in June. Am still consumed with the idea of sub 2:45 but it is a long way off as is evident from cardiff. maybe it will come in autumn 2006- In my first marathon as a vet!
  • Options
    Shaggy.Shaggy. ✭✭✭
    Agree with comment about course BR, shame the course has been changed this year, the old course used to produce so many PB's (inc mine) but can't see myself running sub 75 on the new course.

Hi BS, thanks for comments. I'm never disappointed with sub 80mins - especially when I think about my slowest HM time of 2.14.41!
    Good to hear you're back into training and already planning the next marathon, keep shooting for that sub2.45, it's surprising how many folk run marathon PB's in their early forties.
    Good luck for Bedford, December's a great month for running fast times.
  • Options
    Didn't realise this was a new course. I was trying to work out where such good times had come from in previous years!

Keyworth was my breakthrough race where I ran 74:21 2 years ago to get that elusive championship place. Won a large frozen turkey as well:-)
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Hi Stu, sorry you didn't quite get what you wewre looking for. I sounds rather as if you never quite got into it, rather than it unravelling. If that's the case it shouldn't have taken too much out of you, so you could still be in with a shout at Keyworth. I don't think that the weather was conducive to reacing today. It wasn't raining down in Wisbech today, but it was pretty breezy. I managed 62:39, which I'm reasonable happy with, coming of high miles and no taper. The lack of racing sharpness let me down a bit, but I don't seem to have suffered too much sciatic reaction. Current plan is two more big weeks, a LT paced race in the BADAC 5 mile Poppy run, a weeks taper then the Bishops Stortford 10M with a target of sub 60mins. Then its back to basics for a build up for the Bath HM.

• Options
    Good solid run that Tom- main thing is you seem to be running confidently and injury free. Sure you'll be back to last spring's form soon.
  • Options
    Shaggy.Shaggy. ✭✭✭
    Keyworth is a fast course for such a hilly race - similar to the old Worksop course - short, steep uphills followed by long gradual downhills.
    Would love to see your 74.21 at the finish BR.

Good race Tom, I'm guessing your 'high miles' means close to 100mpw which would make your time even more impressive. Hope you have a great big Eastern Counties pot on your mantelpiece.
    60 mins sounds realistic with a full taper.

Ah, the Bath HM - where Toms PB's are made.

See you at the Poppy 5.
  • Options
    Quick post for those who don't read the daily training thread. I broke 2:45 at Dublin, so posh toilets for me at FLM06!

Here comes the techy bit: 2:44:35 (2:44:26 chip time). Half in 1:22:58, so negative split. 49th overall, 3rd MV40.

See you on Apr 23rd!
  • Options
    Well done AF. Looks like you had a good consistently paced run.
  • Options
    Congrats AF. Excellent performance. What do you think made the difference?
  • Options
    Hello...

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY RUNNING !!

2004 - 2005 I was on a roll with two
    sub 3 hr marathons. (2:56 and then 2:53)

Then got married, honeymoon..(Put on a stone in weight which I cant shift)

To top it ALL my achilles is playing up.

I am doing the FLM 06 and was initially heading for a 2:45

Most decent schedules are around 20 weeks with about 4 weeks pre training @about 45 miles.

Have I left it too late?
  • Options
    Coming to think of it I did Dublin last year and I don't think it is the quickest of courses- even more impressive therefore.
  • Options
    BS: I missed FLM last year through injury and resumed my trusty Pfitzinger and Douglas schedule for dublin this year. I think it's just a general improvement due to running higer milage for the last year (injury permitting!)
  • Options
    AF-Just as a matter of interest what is your 1/2 marathon pb? Mine is only 1:19:12 although I know I would be a little quicker if I concentrated on getting that PB down. Nevertheless it is still pretty slow and I have never come across any one break 2:45 with that kind of 1/2 marathon time.
  • Options
    Sh*t. I missed posh loos by 50 secs? Note to self - must push harder. Next you'll make me really jealous by saying they have soft 4-ply paper in them too!

Seriously - good result AF, well done.

Received the official results from Abingdon yesterday which included 1/2 way splits. Considering how badly I felt from 19 onwards, I was amazed to find that I actually ran the 8th fastest 2nd half (finished 9th overall). Ran slightly quicker than the 3rd and 4th placed finishers so I guess the conditions were tougher at the end than I realised which is a plus. Back is pretty good now, I get nerve-related discomfort when I do some of the neural stretches that the physio recommended, but doesn't seem to impact the running which is the main thing.XC at the weekend was harder than expected but at least I'm getting back into some sort of regular training now.

BS - I'm not much quicker than you 1:18:24 (2:45:50 full0.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Well done AF!

S3oB - as long as you're in Pen 1, you can easily duck into the posh loos anyway. There's a little entrance right up the front of Pen 1 (blue start only I expect). This proved very handy this year as amongst many others I had that sudden urge at the 5 mins to go point!

Badger - with a 20 week schedule presumably you have a little time left to sort the achilles? I'd have thought a combination of Walt's achilles strengtheners ( http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0125.htm ) and most importantly doing the following as often as poss:-

Get two buckets of water, one icy & one as hot as you can bear, both deep enough to cover your achilles. Then stick your foot in the cold for 5 mins to chill it and then in the hot for 5 and repeat twice more. Do this several times a day if possible. It really seems to stimulate tendon growth as they don't always get enough blood flow for the natural healing process to occur after hard training. The hot/cold gets the blood flowing there without the aggravation of massage.

It worked for me anyway!
  • Options
    BS: My half PB is 1:19 too, but I haven't raced one in donkey's years. One of my aims for next year after FLM is to concentrate on getting my 5k to HM times in line with my marathon.
  • Options
    thanks chaos ... very helpful

• Options
    hi folks,
    started a thread for sub 2-45 wananbees, before banana split informed me of this one.

I did my first marathon this year, and was disappointed with my finishing time of 2:59:05, felt as though i was in much better shape than this. but really died over the last few miles.
    so looking to have another crack at breaking 2:45 next year.
  • Options
    Hi morgrunning. Do you have any other race pbs to indicate what sort of marathon time is feasible? Which marathon did you do your 2:59 in? Pretty decent debut I'd say.

Has anyone sent off their championship applications and got the entry form back yet?
  • Options
    Hi BR
    Have spoken to you before under previous name stacey morgan , changed it because people assumed i was female. :-)

Debut marathon was in London, couldn't get into any rhythm. Pace was all over the place.

With the exception of the 20 miler, none of my other PB's were run when i was doing higher milage.
    I only used to run 30 ish miles a week, built up to around 50, max 60 before london.

5k 17:04 (2004)
    5m 27:09 (2004)
    10k 36:08 (2004)
    10m 61:40 (2004)
    1/2 1:19:07 (2004)
    20m 2:05:35 (2005)
    Mar 2:59:05 (2005)

was looking forward to smashing all my pbs after london, but made the mistake of running when injured, have only just started back running again after four very long months out. Learned my lesson though.

• Options
    Hi again:-)

Your first marathon is always a learning experience as it's like no other race. I did my 8th marathon at FLM 2005 and it was my worst executed race so you never stop learning.

• Options
    Yes i agree, hopefully get it right next time.
    All the races that i have done have been a bit hit and miss. somedays it is just not there, and there is nothing you can do about it.
  • Options
    There is something you can do about it with good preparation - avoiding work and life stress in the build up, fuelling and hydrating properly, resting up well etc.

There's not been a poor performance I've had where I've not looked for a specific reason or reason(s) for it and tried to learn from it.

That's the great (and infuriating) thing about this. You never stop learning but there's also so many little details to get right to make the most of your training in a race situation.
  • Options
    My best races have always been when i have least expected them, ie last minute decision to turn up and run. running whilst ill etc..
  • Options
    Maybe because you're not heaping the stress of expectation on yourself by wanting pbs / time goals etc. I always find my best races are XCs as I just go into them to have fun and run hard, whereas I find on flat fast courses I put pressure on myself to run pbs.

Did you get hyped in the days leading up to FLM 2005, or were you relaxed and confident?