Options

PHAB

Comments

• Options
    Hiya all, just thought I'd check in while I'm sunning myself in 84F of glorious Florida sunshine. I did the National Kidney Research 5k in less than 30 mins, good for me, and finished 149th out of 2989 runners/walkers. So up the British!!. My run of bad luck continued and I've been laid up with the flu and a chest infection, but at least I have 3 weeks to recover. Glad to read all the positive training diaries and to those with injuries hope all goes well. My last long run is planned for Saturday (20 miles) but I understand we're still in the cold snap so may have to do the miles at the gym on the treadmill. I know its not quite the same, but given my fall before don't want to knock my confidence. Anyway catch up with you all on my return. Take care
  • Options
    Well done Lesley, sounds like you had a good 5k, better to get an infection now than on the big day, its quite mild here now, 14c today with a pleasant warmish breeze, nice to be running in something other than an Arctic blast. Have a safe journey home.
  • Options
    Hi all - well done Lesley on the great run. Off to physio this morning - have not run for 12 days.

I think that I will be able to start running this weekend if i do it slowly, but would appreciate some advice.

My last run was the fleet half, and I did 2 15 milers and a 16 miler the weekends before. I am down for the Reading half a week on sunday. So, my question is:

1/ Should I try to do a long run this weekend, given my leg is not 100% or
    2/ should I just jog this weekend and then do reading in a week
    3/ jog this weekend, skip reading and then do a long run instead of reading? (not sure that is wise with 2 weeks to go)

Am gutted that training missed as was on course for sub 4 hopefully (did fleet half in 1.49). Physically (& mentally at moment) I don't feel in good shape.

Any ideas? El C (Alex)

• Options
    Hi El C

I am in a similar boat to you. Have not done a long run for nearly 4 weeks due to piriformis trouble. Hoping to give it a try tomorrow but the physio told me to just run 1 mile and build up slowly to 5 miles, then go for it if all is OK. My longest run is also 16 miles (4 weeks ago) and also done tow 15's, a 14 and a 13, but they seem ages ago.

Any advice on how to build up the confidence as much as anything would be really appreicated. I'm seriously consiering joining the RW 'get you round' run/walkers on the day - was hoping for sub-4.30 but think that is out of the question now.

Any ideas/help?
    Kate
  • Options
    woo - hoo! possible stress fracture which needs to be x-rayed! oops!

Have been told to try 5 miles on sunday and then if can walk ok after without recurring problem, should be ok to go ahead withreading then FLM and therefore not a stress fracture. If breakdown again, likley to be a stress fracture and, either way the marathon for me will be over. Will try to arrange x-ray in meantime and pray that I don't breakdown.

Kate - I managed to run a marathon before when I had ITBS and had to stop training for 4 weeks before the race on physios advice - no running at all. I dosed up on ibruprofen before the race and on the day my legs were so relaxed - a four week taper if you like - that I really enjoyed it. Getting half way made me realise that I would get round all the way - I just started slowly and, as i realised that I was ok, i picked up speed along the way - a good tactic too, becuase then I started to overtake people which built up more confidence and, hey presto, 4 and a half hours later I was in central park a couple of miles from the finish!

I'd start at the back of the pen for your time and see how it goes - you will be pulled round by the crowd in any event!

Good luck. El C

• Options
    Thanks El C. It's good to hear that others have got round the marathon OK on much less than perfect training.

Hope its not a stress fracture and we can both be celebrating at the finish!
  • Options
    Morning everyone,
    hope everyone's training is going well? sorry Alex and Kate,i hope things improve for you both,just take it easy.

Just got final detail of Madeleine,with the wrist bands and a set of'thunder sticks', i was just wondering if anyone will have any spare security wrist bands ? i'm willing to send you a SAE ,and i'm will send you a small donation to your sponsership.(please e-mail me)

Does anyone know if there is some were we could all meet ,before the start?or if someone from Phab will be there? would be nice to see some of you:)

Safe training
    Diane

• Options
    Hello All... Diane, i'm with you on meeting up with other PHAB runners before the race... also with oyu on the crying front... i started welling up reading people's tales of their experiences of the first marathon... think i will burst into tears the minute i cross the finish line... and to a point, i don't care... i will have managed to run a marathon!! something i thought i would never be able to do!!

got oakley 20 tomorrow then taper taper taper... I am scared and excited all at the same time and making my boyfirneds life hell.... is it just me getting so stressed that the other half is getting blamed for everything??!!!

happy training... were nearly there!
    Becki x
  • Options
    Morning guys! I got all my stuff through this morning as well. Afraid i haven't got any spare wrist bands though - sorry.

Think it would be really good to meet up at the start so if anyone has a location in mind then keep me informed!

I haven't run since doing 20 miles last Sunday and although my foot feels better i still can't run on it. I'm hoping that when i go and see the physio on Weds he'll say start training again.

Basically i'm going to do the narathan though - whatever it takes! I've got a whole class of children waiting to see the medal so i cant let them down!
  • Options
    Morning all
    Just back from my last long one,managed to repeat my previous longest run of 22 mile legs feel ok now after an hours rest and stretching.My taper starts now quite looking forward to a lie in next weekend and a steady mid day run,my knee problem has finaly passed with having a straight five day rest.Hope you all have good runs this weekend.
    Happy Running Rich

• Options
    Well done Richard! Enjoy the rest!
  • Options
    YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!

I've done it! My last long run out of the way and do I feel relieved. A huge weight as been lifted off my shoulders. Hey I'm not gonna win a medal for speed but deserve one for all the blood, sweat, tears, injury, mood swings, worry and blisters that I have gone through. Good luck if your doing yours this weekend the end is in sight.

Like the idea of all the PHAB guys and gals meeting sounds a cool idea.

All those that are not sure if they will be running or not yet, I'm send all my positive thoughts to you. Good Luck.

Fi

• Options
    Done my big run this morning 20 miles in 3 hr 16 mins got soaked part way round but kept going got very strange looks off people in cars bet they were thinking look at that idiot. Knee is quite sore now but the feeling of having run 20 miles more than makes up for it.
    Good luck to everyone.
  • Options
    Well done, bugbabe and phil on ur long run!!!

u can start ur taper now and well deserved rest towards the big day!!!

am collecting my running number on the 19th, when is everyone collecting theirs??

• Options
    Hi there - hope everyone ok. I broke down again running today - the leg is useless, i just cannot put any weight on it. It all seems to be pointing towards a stress fracture and if so, there is no hope of me doing the race on 23rd. I have a swollen spot on the side of the bone which hasn't receded and i couldn't even run 50 yards without having to stop.

Have X ray tomorrow but i have now missed 14 days of training and there no prospect of me starting again in short term.

Reluctantly I have decided to pull out now and just rest my legs for the next couple of months. Anyhow, I can now concentrate on looking after my wife, but I was so looking forward to London this year and feel very down.

I wish you guys all the very best for the big day and your taper - will look out for you on the streets of London as I will get down there to watch it.

Hopefully I will be fit for New York in November and then London again in April 2007. Some of you will no doubt be back for that as well!

Good luck and all the best,

El C (Alex)

• Options
    Hi everyone

Diane - I will have some spare wrist bands if you need them - lesley_thornton2000@yahoo.com - if you want to send me your address.

El C - so sorry to hear you still having problems - see what the x-ray says tomorrow - fingers crossed.

Long runners - well done - its nice to know that you can now taper - last long run tomorrow - hoping for cool and dry start.

Lesley K - good to hear you - you sound as if your having a good time - hope all is well.

Time is going to pass really quickly now so hope to see all of you at some point during marathon - Ruth and I are travelling down on Friday 21st to collect numbers - will probably be and the excel for around 3pm ish. Will also have the pasta meal £5 per head - good value for money. rest some of Saturday.

All take care.
  • Options
    El C, sorry to hear that u r pulling out of FLM, i feel for, knew how much u have been looking 4ward to it!!!

i hope it is good news with the x-rays!!!

all the best with ur wife and the whole family, stay strong and we will be praying for you!!!

hope to see you next year FLM, take care of urself!!!
  • Options
    Alex so sorry to hear the news, you take care.

Despite the illness I did have a great time and got plenty of rest, which has been a plus. As I was pretty stressed with everything going on at work, I get to put my case for saving some of my teams jobs to the corporate board on Tuesday, so fingers crossed. (although it won't save my job, even if I am successful)I've accepted that come the end of September I will be finishing.

Well I managed 14 miles today, not the 20 I had planned, but my cough was a problem so I decided at 14 to be sensible and call it a day. Not too worried as I've done 20 twice before the holiday. So I'm tapering now. Hot footing it to the doctors Monday for some anti-biotics, to try and get rid of this cough. Realistically I'm aiming to finish in around 6 hours, not the 4 hours 59 mins I had hoped for, but hey you never know next year.

I'm planning to be at excel on the Friday too so perhaps we can meet up?

My fancy dress is nearly finished, I brought some lovely white lightweight cotton with pink polka dots to make the tutu, from Walmart in Orlando, the stuff you can buy in these stores! They also had iron on letters so will have my name on the front and phab kids on the back. Just need to now practise running wearing it all. I think I'll go out in the dark, so as not to frighten the neighbours!

Take care everyone and thank you all so much for your support over the months, its been really helpful and stopped me dropping out.
  • Options
    EL C
    My sister in law pulled something in her leg last year stopping her from running for four weeks from last week of March till marathon day her training before was only about 10 weeks and she managed 4 hours 18 mins so maybee try two weeks off then see how you feel,nothing to loose hope you can join us be nice to all meet up at the
    start
    Well done phil good time

YOu seem a little happy Bugbabe weel done
  • Options
    EL C(ALEX) i'm so sorry you have decided to pull out of the marathon,could you not just wait and see what the x-ray shows ,before you make your mind, it would be a real shame if you couldn't join us.
    I know you've had a lot of other things on your mind, please keep positive and the best of luck, to you and your family.
    If you don't run ,remember your PHAB team mates,will do you PROUD!!!

I'm going to collect my number on friday,might be round 4 ish and i'll visit to the PHAB stand.
    Well done everyone on your long run, not long now!
  • Options
    Morning all,
    so sorry to hear your news EL C, hey the x-ray may be ok I'll keep everything crossed for you.

I can't get my number until the Saturday as I'm working all week but hope to catch up with PHAB runners on the day.

Have a good day everyone I'm off to the gym for a bit of core work and a soak in the hot tub!
  • Options
    Hi everyone. Just got back from last 20 mile run, what a good feeling that is. Then I am told we still should do a 17/18 miler next weekend! Never mind its less than 20!
    Hi Diane, Lesley and I are going to be at exhibition at same time as you and we plan to have pasta there. We did this last year and it was ok but bit bland, so am packing some black pepper and parmesan this time. Maybe see you there. Its good value and you get a T-shirt. Us runners will do anything for a free T-shirt!
  • Options
    Free t-shirt! I'll be there!

Well done everyone on their long runs. I'm sitting with my lap top on my knee, ankle packed in ice! Foot feeling better so hopefully i'll be able to run this week. At the moment i've only missed 7 days of training so not too worried but could do without anymore problems!

Keep it goign everyone!
  • Options
    alistair fingers crossed your foot holds out. Whats the matter with it, I have had lots of foot problems. 7 days training isnt anything to worry about at this stage, good luck.
  • Options
    Toughie yesterday - Coniston 14 mile race - round the lake of that name in Cumbria. was unsure how it'd go as I've not run for a fortnight with my dodgy shin - it was a little bit sore early on then eased, but started to hurt after about 12 miles - and today it's really very sore indeed. Need to rest it again, I think, but getting round yesterday in 1:39:14 (which is a good 30 secs a mile quicker than marathon pace) makes me feel that with adrenalin and drugs I should be ok at london - as long as it recovers as it did last time.

Well done on getting this far, everyone - it's taper time now! Enjoy...
  • Options
    Hi all - I will wait til the x-ray but it is not promising. I really want to throw all of my toys out of the pram but can't really do that. Would bve great if i could make it - even if i can't run anymore til FLM I know I could get round as long as teh leg was ok. We'll see what happens later today.

enjoy your lovely taper! El C
  • Options
    Hi everyone - sounds like everyone is coming along nicely - long runs coming to and end and looking forward to the taper....

El C - fingers crossed.

Alex - keep the ice packs going.

Lesley K - so, you'll be the one in the tutu with pink dots on - I am sure we will find you. ;-)))

Did our long run yesterday morning - ruth's husband kindly dropped us in Southport and we ran back - it rained all the way home - woke up with running nose and feeling really sorry for myself - I cannot remember the last time I had a cold - oh well, compared to some of your I am in good health so nothing to complain about. Will rest today.

We have Easter fast approaching another reason to relax and enjoy before the main event.

Happy running everyone..........

• Options
    Hi everyone

Well done everyone who did their last long run at the weekend.

El C & Alex - fingers crossed for you both.

I managed to run a mile on Saturday with no pain - only 25.2 to go! Yesterday did 2 miles which was fine also, although later in the evening my hip was feeling a bit achy. So resting today and going to try 3 miles tomorrow. Just concerned now that if it feels achy after 2 miles....
  • Options
    I'm back - okay so not gonna bore you all about this any more after this post. Any how, not fractured which is good. Can't run which is bad. So, have rung Madeleine and agreed to keep my name in the hat for April 23rd and will make the final decision on the thursday before. Lots of icing, sleep and no running for 2 weeks and see how we go. Am resigned to no sub four but would happily accept any time if I could still do it. Fingers crossed. El c