Options

PHAB

Comments

• Options
    Cath the Brum (wife) is running for Phab so may bump into some of you over FLM weekend. Good luck.
  • Options
    Hi everyone

Just finished a 6 mile run and no pain in the piriformis! I think I am going to be OK!!

Planning to go for a 10 miler on Saturday and if all is well a very slow 15 miler on Monday. I know I probably shouldn't do such a long run but will help my confidence for the big day as my last long run was 5 weeks ago.

Hope everyone stays fit and well. Fingers crossed for you El C.
  • Options
    Just typical full of a cold at present, talking lemsips and all the other usual stuff to try and get rid asap. Not a happy chappy.
  • Options
    Oh Phil bad luck, keep pampering yourself.

Well my knee problems are due to inflamation of the IT Band, so hopefully after ultrasound and a massage as long as I stretch them and ice them I should be fine.Welcome Matt hope we can catch up with you and Cath after the race.

ElC, fingers still crossed.

• Options
    Morning all, just to say good luck to all the Reading runners tomorrow. Have a relaxing day today and enjoy it.

I ran three miles this morning at 10 min mile pace - painful but a real improvement. Will try another 3-4 miles tomorrow. Hopefully anoother week of rest will see an improvement. Wish I was with you tomorrow. Good luck. El C
  • Options
    Hello all
    Glad to hear you got out for a short one El C but take it easy .Just back from my shorter one today 12 mile at a nice steady pace and had a lie in also and the kids and wife have gone to tennis so can take it easy for most of the day it doesnt get much easyier.
    Welcome Brum my son realy likes the car nice picture.
    Happy Running All Rich
  • Options
    Morning everyone hope all are well.

Brilliant news on the run EL C take it easy though.

Gave myself a treat this week and have taken two days off from training. Figured that my fitness levels are not going to increase over the next couple of weeks so I'm trying to chill.

Has anyone read some of last years stories? I had to stop as I found it very emotional!
    Have had a couple of really excited days followed by a couple of scared to death days, suppose thats normal though, well as "normal" as I can be!

I have a few questions if anyone can help that'll be great.

1) Has anyone be through the showers that are on the course before? If so did you get blisters or any other negative effect from doing this?

2) Is it right that in each start you have a pen where you start from and does this include the red start? If so how do they know your time if you are on GB place?

3) Hope this isn't a stupid question but how does the supporters thing work? I have seen all the groups and the names on the threads but not sure what this is all about? Probably really simple but if you don't ask you don't know.

4) Last question for the mo. I know there are going to be thousands of other people there but I'm a bit worried about being on my own, am I likely to be able to tag along with others? Would be a good idea to ask on the forum if I could meet up with others or will it just happen? Probably another daft question but I need to get it all sorted so I have less to get stressed about.

Sorry that was a bit long, have a good weekend all.

Fi
  • Options
    bugbabe... your questions are not stupid... there what all us first timers are thinking!

Have just read those marathon stories - read the first time and heart warming ones... sat typinf this in tears! made me sob like a baby!!

am i normal??
  • Options
    Great news about ur running EL C, don't over do it, easy easy easy,......

wish u were there 2moro, thanks, am going to need all the luck 2moro, being my first half!!!!

bugbabe and crazy bee, am an emotional wreck reading all the stories of the last year's runners, we had better have a lot of tissue for the finish line, becos there r going to be buckets, i tell you!!!

WE R PERFECTLY NORMAL!!!!!!
  • Options
    Bugbabe, am in the same boat too, if u want to tag with me, i would be delighted, am freaky out now as it is only two weeks to go!!!!!
  • Options
    Hi Bugababe to answer some of your questions-
    They know your time because we wear a chip.
    I did my first marathon on my own but there is so much support on the way round you never feel alone. You will find that you keep seeing the same people because they are running at your pace, you wont feel lonely. The showers are nice if it is very hot which it usually is,(dont forget sun cream), it is a very fine spray and havent noticed them causing chaffing afterwards. I have also had a couple of days off this week, I think these 20mile runs catch up with you.
    Take it easy and dont be stressed.
  • Options
    Hi everyone
    Hey Toks what time are you hoping for I may be a little to slow for you? Good luck tomorrow you will be great I know it.
    Thanks for the answers Ruth just want less to think about on the day so thought I'd ask as many questions as I can think of now.
    Toks and Crazy Bee- I'm waiting for the family to be out then I'm going to read more so if the tears wanna flow then bring it on. I soooo excited can't think of anything else.
    Good luck to anyone running tomorrow:OD
  • Options
    Bugbabe, am just praying to get round in one piece, my mile is around 11/12, so that makes it that i would finish in around 5.30/6.00 ish!!!

but don't really care as long as i have a great time and finish in one piece!!!!

i would be over the moon with that!!!!
  • Options
    Hi Bugbabe
    There not daft questions, just things most people need to know for the big day. I will try to help.
    1) The showers are great, just enough to cool you down a little, its a very fine spray that does not soak you, just cools you down.
    2)The pens are done from the time you entered on your application all those months ago, like me last year i didn't remember putting a time down, but you probally did, I would guess you will be pen 8 or above if you're in the red start, belive me its great back there because its full of Gold Bond holders who want to complete the marathon and have fun doing so.
    3)The support groups came from a thread asking who wanted support along the way. Then they were put into groups.
    4)After a few miles the people around you won't change much throughout the day becuase you all start off in the same time zone pens. But feeling left on your own won't happen it feels as if all the spectators are there for you.
    Enjoy the day, (there no way you can't enjoy it)all the hard graft of the past few months will be worth it.
    Another thing, try not to start crying on the way round when you start to realise what you are about to acheive, save it till the end....
    Bojangles

• Options
    Well done everyone on the runs. I went swimming today - and no reaction to my foot problem so might try a short run on monday.

Good luck to everyone doing reading.
  • Options
    Thanks Mr B think you covered everything very well.

Sorry thought of another question regarding identification. My drivers licence is at my old address and an paper one so I can't use that and my passport is currently being renewed(praying that it will be here in time) what form of identification will be acceptable for me to be able to pick up my number etc?

Toks I'm hoping to finish in 5 hours but am very very flexiable with that time, will be pleased if I managed it but not heart broken if I don't. So maybe meeting up will be possible? I won't know my pen number until the Saturday as this is the only time I can get up to London to pick up my number. What day are you thinking of getting yours?

Oh and I am in no doubt that the tears will flow very freely at the end!
  • Options
    bugbabe, am collecting my no on wed!!!!
  • Options
    Oh great so you'll know which pen you are in at least then I may be able to move if poss.
  • Options
    Good luck everyone this weekend with your training.
    Toks,and Bugbabe you are both running round my time,will it be ok to tag along if i see you? my running partner is at the Green start,he says he will try to wait for me at three miles ,but as you know this might not be possible.What are your names on your running vest or i won't be able to see you ?
    Iknow it sounds silly ,but what bothers me is being at the start on my own and not knowing a soul, does that sound daft?
  • Options
    Hi Diane you dont have to be at the start on your own, last year I wanted to start with my friends and asked at the exhibition if it was possible to change starts, and he winked and said no you shouldnt. I did start with my friends no-one noticed. I think there must be lots of people that swap about, dont worry. Its nice to start with someone you know even if you loose them later.
  • Options
    Hi all good news EL C. My knees are still sore and I have a mild shin splint but I will be at Reading tomorrow, going to give it my best. I am hoping to finish before the sweep, or at the very latest before it gets dark lol. Good luck everyone.

Take care
  • Options
    Hi Diane, i would have "TOKS" on the front of my running turqoise vest and "VICTA" on the back!!!

if u want to meet up on the day of the race u can email me, i live just couple of bus stops to the red start, so am going to walk there!!!

am running for victa, visually impaired children taking action!!!

u might ask me why am i always posting in this thread, it is becos there is a lot of PHAB supportive runners and feel at ease with everyone!!!

PHAB and VICTA, r both children's charity and feel very proud to be running for victa!!!

Lesley, hope to see u at reading 2moro!!!!
  • Options
    Hi Diane I'd love to run with you too so meeting up sounds a cool idea. I will have Fiona in big red letters on my PHAB vest and as all the other PHAB runners know you really can't miss our running vests they are very colourful. I actually like to be called Fi pronounced Fee but thought I'd put my full name on my vest.

Hope everyone had a good run at Reading today!

• Options
    I DID IT, I DID IT, I DID IT. I'D be running round in circles except I have a huge blister on the pad of my foot. But I DID IT, I took it steady, a steady 12 min per mile rate and it took me 2 hours 38, taking out the wait for the loos. My knees and shins were fine.

Hope everyone else had a good day, sorry I didn't spot any other PHAB runners.

Take care

Just going to read up on whats best to do with this blister.
  • Options
    Hi all,

Haven't posted for ages, but have been keeping up with the threads. Am beginning to get nervous now, but also very excited.

Training has had its ups and downs, like many of you on here, but I'm at the taper now thank goodness!

I'm sure we'll bump into lots of other PHAB runners on the day, and I know we can be easily spotted in our vests, but does anybody have any good ideas about how to get noticed in the crowd? i.e. head wear etc. Lots of my children are coming to see me run (I'm a teacher!!) and I know they will find it difficult to spot me otherwise.

Thanks - and hope you are all enjoying a relaxing taper! X
  • Options
    Well done Lesley, I bet you are feeling pleased with yourself. I find it best to pop blisters, they heal quicker. Then cover it with compeed or something similar.
  • Options
    The best thing I find for blisters is (sounds silly) popping them and then applying Pile cream and massage it in well, as it heals from the outside in. I only know this because its used for healing new tattoos and it heals them as quick as anything.
  • Options
    Well done Lesley, i also had a good run, knee was sore from 3-8 but then them dolphins kicked in.
    Didnt see you or Toks (hope you had a good one Toks)
    The run into the stadium was great, good prep for the finish line in 2 weeks.
    Michelle from Run for Glory passed my Wife and kids (clapping not running) at 1.5 miles.
    Hope everyone else had a good weekend and now looking forward to a serious taper, (bottle of wine tonight as reward)
    Good luck over the next 2 weeks, take care, and those who have injuries, i hope they are better for the big day.
  • Options
    Well done Lesley and well done everyone else who has been out today. I managed another swim but still not risking a run.

Take care
  • Options
    Well done Lesley and Dean enjoy your taper.

Come on Toks where are you?
    How did you get on?

Went for a easy 1hr today no problem, made sure I wore everything I would on the day to check any chaffing, all was fine. Went for a swim and then sat in the spa for half an hour, heaven!

Had a problem with eating two weeks ago but am now eating like a horse, my shopping bill is horrendous.

Have a good week everyone.