Options

PHAB

Comments

• Options
    Will keep everything crossed Elc

Lesley definetely won't miss me lol. (Me and my big mouth)

Take care
  • Options
    Ruth

I hope the foot will be ok. Basically from what the physio says i havent been running in-line withmy knee so everytime i run the muscle under my ankle is being stretched across as my leg is colapsinmg inwards. Anyway... i think thats the situation. He just said rest it so i am.

Jut a bit worried that i might not be able to run for another week. That'll be two weeks without any exercise! Not ideal!
  • Options
    Ricahrd B

You mentioned that your sisiter in law had four weeks off prior to the marathan? I might end up being in a similar situation becuase i havent run since March 26th and cant see mtself running until at least next Sunday at best. Maybe the Sunday after. That'll be three weeks without any running and only a week to go until the big day!

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Alastair Did the physio not mention orthotics to you. You can buy a very basic one in boots which supports the foot preventing over pronation, (rolling over). Made to measure ones takes weeks to get organised.
  • Options
    I was talking to a clubmate on saturday about my enforced 2 weeks off and [possibly another 3 weeks now - she said that you don't get any benefit or lose any significant fitness in the last 3 weeks, so if you're okish now you'll be fine on 23rd.

I'm just going to ride my bike to keep turning over and see how it goes. i still feel fine about FLM - so should you, Alistair.

And stick with it, El C - you'll be reet.
  • Options
    Thanks Ruth and 'andy from embsay' that makes me feel slightly better. I'm seeing the physio again tomorrow so i'll ask him about orthotics and see what he says.

I'll just keep myself ticking over on the bike and in the pool then.

Thanks very much

Alistair
  • Options
    Alistair my sister in law was told to rest untill the day and she ran like the wind and got a realy good time said the same as andy that she didnt lose fitness and realy felt fresh and ready to go on the big day so relax.I know its hard to sit back and not go out for a short one but think to rest is best option to get to the start line ,just see how it goes .Best of luck Rich
  • Options
    Thanks Rich

Thats helps a lot

All the best with your training

Alistair
  • Options
    oh no paula is out of FLM, maybe i might have a chance, not!!!!!
  • Options
    Hi All

have been reading the PHAB thread for months and just thought I would pop in and say hello to eveyone. I am running for PHAB this year and the 23rd can't come soon enough (sorry, I know some would disagree) hope all your injuries and set backs sort themselves out before the big day.

Bojangles
  • Options
    Morning all and welcome Mr Bojangles.

Just checked the FLM website and oh my god only 19 days 20 minutes and 53 seconds until the day!

I have made a conscious decision that from this day on I will push any negative thoughts out of my mind when they appear, and will not read or enter into any negative conversations. My brother-in-law was very negative about my mara debut at the weekend and I ended up crying in the bath. Have come to the conclusion that he obviously wishes it was him but he didn't put in the time or effort!

<sitting in a yoga pose chanting>

I am sending out happy positive thoughts to all PHAB runners please feel free to chant with me.
  • Options
    Bugbabe, I'm getting some funny looks here at the office, sat in my yoga pose chanting and trying to type, multi tasking hey!

Brother-in-law is obviously jealous of your dedication, hard work and 100 % commitment, not to mention that wonderful medal when YOU cross the finish line.

Welcome Mr Bojangles
  • Options
    Yes am joining in the chanting too, bugbabe and lesley!!!

The power of visualization works wonders too, just "see" yourself running through all the fantastic landmarks and see urself cross the finish line, it is magic and it will happen for real on the 23rd!!!!!
  • Options
    Ok guys now got the insense burners going and chanting:

I can do it

I can do it

I can do it

I can do it

Hhhhhuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!
  • Options
    Hhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!
  • Options
    Hhhhuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! now i know i've lost the plot:)

Need de stressing (school hoildays)
  • Options
    Toks, you are absolutely right about visualisation, although I generally visualise on crisp packets as they are fluttering along the road at 24 miles - as soon as i see one i want to stop and curl up under it!

Bugbabe - your bro-in-law can always buy himself a medal on eBay the next day - believe me - they go on sale !!!

Just had physio - swelling receeding for first time. Positive vibes overflowing. Go go gadget legs. Please go!

Om Mani Padme Hum.

El C
  • Options
    I cant imagine wanting to sell my medal, I have worked too hard to get it! Fingers crossed EC rest them legs.
  • Options
    EL C good news lets hope your recovery continues. Nice to see your entering in the spirit of things am sending you over a waft of perfume from my insense sticks.

As for selling my medal well it will be superglued on my neck for the next year believe me!

Diane opposite thing for me regarding school holidays as I work in a school. But as you can probably tell I'm rather chilled out right now. Although I do have 5 kids (only 3 at home) it's still less stress right now.
  • Options
    Cant see why anyone would want to buy a medal. They have not done any of the training, fundraising or done the run. They may buy a medal but they can never feel like they earned it or deserve it.
    Wear your medal with pride.
  • Options
    Bugbabe,don't chill to much youv,e got a race to do on the 23rd:) and i bet your kids will need their dinner tonight.

I'm with you on the medal,i'm going to have mine framed ,and the finishers t-shirt ,i'm going to wear it, till it falls of my back!!
    Well with a t shirt and a medal at the end,i'll be over that line faster than a robbers dog(well i hope so)

• Options
    El cap hope things go well. I'm struggling with jet lag, I think?, feeling hung over and not even had a drink, but going out for a run tonight and have the reading 1/2 on sunday. Anyone else doing this race?
  • Options
    Lesley K, i should be doing Reading as long as knee is better, picked up a niggle after the last 2 long runs. If doing will be wearing the Phab vest. I think Toks is doing it as well.

I shall speak to anyone in a Phab vest.
  • Options
    Yes am doing reading, lesley and dean, hope to see u there!!!!
  • Options
    Hi is everyone doing another long run this weekend 17/18 miles or are you starting wind down. Bit aprehensive about doing another long one and was thinking of 10-13instead.
  • Options
    Hi Ruth, I am doing 15 this weekend then 10 on the last weekend prior to FLM, that should be enough I would think.
  • Options
    I am doing 15 ... minutes of icing, three times a day! Good luck to the Reading runners - had to drop out as the big day is more important. Gonna try a very small and very slow run on saturday instead. El C
  • Options
    Hi Ruth I'm doing about 10 this weekend can't face another 17/18 miler but my plan says 10 so thats what I'm doing. Do have to say that this is my first mara so time is not so important to me, so think I should be fine on the training already done.
    Have to say that after my long run on Friday I tried a 5 miler on Monday as was totally knackered, did 8 last night plus 30 mins on cross trainer and 15 rowing and felt great!

Keep up with the icing EL C we wanna see you on the big day!

Good luck with Reading if your running.
  • Options
    EL C, take it easy as we all want you there.

After Reading i am getting the big roll of cotton-wool out and wrapping myself in it till the big day. It seems that doors and kids toys keep on jumping out at me!
  • Options
    Hi all. I did 5 miles yesterday, but had a problem with the back of my knees, hurt for the first 1 mile, it calmed down only to return on the incline of the last 1/2 mile.
    Its the outside of the back of my knees. Not sure what it it. Anyone any ideas please???