Options

Tuesday 18th October 2005

Comments

• Options
    Morning all

I get up at 6.00am, pull on running gear (fumbling blindly in the dark..running pants inside out etc) have adrink of water then out the door....don't usually have any problem doing 6-9m...then put porridge on as soon as I return....

what: 6.5m @145-150
    why: faster (relatively speaking) day on Hadd schedule
    last hard: Today is as hard as it gets at the moment
    last rest: 30 september

next run will be a Hadd test tomorrow eve...combined with a calibration of my Polar footpod.....strange thing, before I put a new battery in it, it was measuring slightly longer than web based map, after new battery, it is measuring slightly shorter....go figure!!
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    FFG: Fantastic!
  • Options
    I usually get up 5:45am, have my breakfast, bran flakes, toast and fruit juice, do some stretching and sit-ups, then go and do either a 4 or 5mile run!

I know I should not eat that close to training, but it has never effected me and Im not one for running on an empty stomach, but then again, im pretty oddball compared to most runners on the thread! :)

Intresting debate for the day to make the posts go over 100!

Do you eat before your morning run, or are you the runner who trains first and eats after?

• Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    FFG, great run. Well done!

During the week I run before breakfast, but have porridge as soon as I get back. Long runs I will eat first.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

I'm with MelissaP and SGQ - I HATE running early in the morning. So I don't. Unless there's absolutely no way I can fit my intended run in at any other point during the day. I also find early morning running tends to stimulate a bowel movement which, in the early morning in London when pubs with toilet facilities are closed, adds a whole extra set of problems!

WP, Big Tim and BR were brave enough to articulate what I wanted to say. It's what I have thought for a long time but have not wanted to say so because I didn't want to interfere with your training for Amsterdam. Seriously consider changing your coach. Nearly every one of your 'daily training' posts mentions the word 'hard' for at least part of your run. There seemed to me to be far too much focus in your recent preparation on hard and marathon paced running. IMHO you'd get the results you really want by swapping almost all the hard running for easy aerobic sessions. Just my opinion, but I ran the sort of time you're after at FLM and you have seen my training schedule. Compare and consider.

What: 5 miles easy.
    Why: Practising what I preach, and a 10K PB still in my legs.
    Last hard: Nike 10K.
    Last rest: Yesterday - even treated myself to a nice bubble bath last night!

Have a good day out there.
  • Options
    FFG - wow.

Interesting comments on the early morning runs. I have no problem with the early part - am usually awake at the crack of dawn anyway. It's the empty stomach part that's the problem, and unlike Micksta I need a couple of hours between eating and running. I could set the alarm for five, eat porrige, back to bed and up at 7 again to run... but will try Lizzy's squash trick first!
  • Options
    WP - I know you are fiercely loyal to your coach, but many have hinted in the past that the schedule is wrong for your level of running experience, your health and your goals, and BT BR and Minks have been brave enough to articulate it this time round. I do wonder if you were just knackered at the startline of Amseterdam, what with a fast half mara and a 10 mile run in the previous week. Also, I'm really worred about comments like "coach will be pleased" "coach will be cross" - hell, it's about you, not about the coach! You should run for you! I firmly believe that consistency is the key to good marathon training, not hard runs and70 mile weeks followed by weeks for feeling rough. If you can do three solid months of 40-55 mpw, that will help you to reach your goals more than than months of highs and lows ever will. Believe me.
  • Options
    FFG - Fanastic running there!

I run very early in the morning,get up around 04:30 and usually hit the road by 05:00 latest. Later on weekends,between 5 and 5:45.

I dont eat before I run,not even before my long run on Saturdays. I do have a small glass of coke before my run though. Did 20 miles the other day and had my first sip of water after 2 hours. I eat late in the evenings though (8 or 9pm) and I am sure the beer or three I have in evenings help as well. :o)
  • Options
    Melissa - Great to hear you're running again

WP & Mava - Nice to hear you being more positive (Mava - good to see you on the BT thread as well, hope to meet you at Cheddar next month)

FFG - Great race!

I'm planning 90 minutes or so at 70%MHR in the rain this evening, will post later.
  • Options
    Excellent time FFG!

I sometimes eat before morning run, sometimes after. As it's only an easy run anyway it doesn't matter if I need to toilet during the run. I know every bush and pit path:-))
  • Options
    Beanz52Beanz52 ✭✭✭
    afternoon

more results rolling in! FFG - well done!

MelissaP - much prefer to run first thing - otherwise it's too easy for life to get in the way - and I might have meusli or porage for supper and then just some water in the morning - but run for at most an hour

what: gym session followed by Phyzz
    why: trying to sort out tight legs
  • Options
    Well said Lizzy.

WP,I havent run a marathon as yet and am thus not qualified to comment,but I do know this much. I have been running 40-50 miles every week since the beginning of July. I run the majority of my runs easy the way BR and Pantman advocate. Did 20 miles for the first time ever two weeks ago and was feeling strong,then ran a half marathon PB the following weekend without any speedwork or interval sessions at all. Just easy running with the odd tempo run thrown in.

I am not going to kill myself,I have to enjoy my running or I will stop. I guess what we are trying to say is,do it for yourself. Enjoy your running and dont put too much pressure on yourself.

That said,you did great and I am sure you will do what is best for you.
  • Options
    Afternoon,
    What: 1.75 km swim am, not sure what pm
    Why: ?
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: 8 days
  • Options
    I agree with minks on the laxative effects of early morning runing - i call it the lemur effect (Laxative from Early Mornings Up Running).

Actually, I don't - I just made that up.
  • Options
    I made up the acronym, not the agreement
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    BR, what I'd give for bushes and pit paths! As it is I don't think squatting in someone's front garden at some ungodly hour of the morning would go down well, and would probably get me arrested!
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
  • Options
    FFG - wow, that is some average speed. Cracking time.

If I run early morning its usually as my 9-mile commute to work, and I wont bother eating beforehand. If I do my long run early at the weekend say I will try and eat before, but only if I can do so about an hour before I go, otherwise it will be gels on the go.
  • Options
    Afternoon All,

What: am -5.4 miles easy; a swim
    Why: recovery
    Last hard: sunday
    Last rest: 15 May

I really do appreciate all the support you sent

yesterday. I'm still in two minds about what to do -

so as Lizzy suggested, I'm not going to decide

anything just yet (but I have printed of the Luton

application form and checked it isn't close to being

full). Luton's a lot more undulating that Abingdon so

not so much of a PB course (I did it last year). It's 6 weeks away on

sunday. Then 7 weeks to the Brass Monkey. As far as I can tell the only marathons earlier than that are Snowdonia and Beachy Head - not what you'd call fast courses!

I would be up for a forum track marathon - I definitely like the idea of a long distance track event - it would be good to stick with all the leaders and the back markers throughtout an event.

Poppy - Well done on the PB even though it was not

the time you wanted. I understand your disappointment. Sounds like a terrible lead up! I can imagine how such glycogen depletion would make it really tough in the second half of the race. Congrats also on flying alone for the first time! Don't give up marathoning.You still got better. I think you might not eat enough (or enough carbs) in normal training.

mava - it was nice to meet you too. I'm so sorry you just missed your target by such a small amount - must have been gutting when you were feeling very tired. I feel sure you'll get your sub five soon. It got really warm for october didn't it? I did my share of blubbing on sunday too.

Peter G - well done at Bridlington

Scooby - I'm sorry you're injured

Hippo - it was really lovely to meet you.

Tim - Well done at Amsterdam

NZC - your poor woofer! Hope he recovers soon.

Dustin - Well done on really well judged marathon. I must have clapped you in too. I was standing on the last bend of the track.

BR - I had no idea the Robert Plant had plagiarised Robert Johnson.

FFG - great time! Very well done.
  • Options
    On eating before running: When I run in the morning (which is most days) I will always eat afterwards. This is especially true of my long runs because I think that part of the point of long runs is to coax your body into using fat for fuel. Therefore it seems to make sense to start from a point where your body is not loaded with sugar. I've had one or two bad experiences where I hadn't eaten well the night before but so long as I'm sensible things seem to be ok.

What d'ya reckon?
  • Options
    I get up when I want
    Except on Wednesdays
    When I'm rudely awakened by the dustman

Deptford Parklife!

<and I *certainly* don't go running before the streets are well-aired!>
  • Options
    Well here it is, the short version of the weekends Coast to Coast race! I posted the report today for a special reason, be patient and you will find out at the bottom of the post!

Day 1
    The alarm woke myself and Mrs T at 02:30. In a daze we did final gear checks and loaded the car with the weekends supplies. 3:00am sees us heading out across the island to the most north easterly point, Toco. We get to the staging area exactly at 05:00am where I get the bike ready, fill hydration packs and do final gear checks. I am nervous as hell. The other competitors look young and fit and with only 2 exceptions they all look under 40. Oh well I’m here now and I’m going to give it my best shot.

At 05:30 MrsT and the other support people head off to the next transition point and the 20 competitors walk the mile to the start point at Toco lighthouse. The mood is great and everyone introduces themselves, I am slowly relaxing, but my HR tells a story at 90 bpm!

Daylight arrives just as we start at 06:00 with the mile run to the bikes, I take it easy and aim to take 8 mins as does everyone else, except a guy who heads off like he’s missing a train. I ask what that is about. “That’s Jason” they say. Mmmmm, who’s Jason?

Quick hop onto the bike and we’re off on one of the most scenic roads in Trinidad for a 35km ride to Matelot. It’s undulating and so I decide to push and soon find myself in the middle of the pack, very comfortable. I was warned about the wooden bridges that are like railway sleepers laid lengthways. The seasoned pros dismount and run the 10 metres. The gaps between the sleepers is about one road tyre! I decide that safety is best and do the safe thing on the six bridges. Some more adventurous got wheels trapped or skidded on the wet wooden surface. Nobody injured, but 2 flats and bruised pride for a couple of the bikers. Still pushing I actually overtake a couple and come in about 6th place, but the masses were right behind. The reason they backed off the pace in the last few km became apparent to me later!

MrsT is there all set with new hydration pack loaded with a hefty 3 litres in the bladder plus 2 extra sport bottles in the pack, gels, bananas and power bars. We were warned that this trail run would be the toughest thing we were going to encounter. Why we asked? Snakes, no they hear you and get out the way. Scorpions, no they only come out at night. Caymen, no not in the rivers you are crossing. Well what then….. De hydration. Oh is that all. More of that later.

The 32km trail runs starts with a straight climb for 2 miles. My legs feel shot after the first few hundred metres, my HR goes through the roof and I feel sick. Great start to a 5/6 hour session. Now I know why the bikers slowed and took longer at the transition. It took me 45 minutes to get my act together and do the pace I knew I was capable of. In that time I actually felt like I would have to give up and at one point even got the radio out and was about to call MrsT. I made it through and the rest of the leg was tough, hot, but I was working inside my limits. The trail was joggable in places then interspersed with steep climbs and then descents onto Trinidad’s most beautiful and inaccessible beaches, six in all. Amazing to see only the footprints of other competitors on a 1 miles white sand beach with palms rocking in the breeze, real Robinson Crusoe stuff. 6 miles to go and the temperature hit 35c. I’m getting worried as I realize that almost 4 litres of fluid have gone in just over 4 hours. At least 1:30 to go and the toughest climb. The river at Paria is only a waist deep wade and it helps with the sore legs for a few minutes. Fortunately as I come of the last beach, Paria, the path passes a Rasta household (bamboo and palm leaves) which, you get a few of off the beaten tracks.
  • Options
    cont...
    I get a “hey man” from the man of the household. “Water” I say in a quote from a black and white foreign legion movie! “Yeh man, we have a pipe”. Great, I refill the bladder with what I know is stream water and hope the bugs don’t get me before dehydration sets in!

The rest of the leg got hotter, and as I headed the last couple of miles to the finish point for day 1, I was overtaken by a few of the people I had left standing on the bike. Serves me right really! Anyway MrsT and the supporters from all teams cheers me through the finish in a time of 7:14 for the day, my target was 7:30. About 16th place and just 15 minutes of the top 10. I was tired but very pleased.

To prove the dehydration matter, the course director later told us that one guy was rushed to hospital with severe dehydration, he’ll be OK, but his competition is over.

Time at last to relax and prepare for day 2. A couple of hours on the beach then back to the hotel for early dinners of carbs, carbs, carbs and a bit of protein. Race prep then bed by 8pm. A sleep in on day 2 as the alarm goes off at 03:30! Lots to do before the 5am start of the longest and toughest cycle session, about 50km of the hilliest countryside that Trinidad has to offer. The first few km are also rough and punctures the biggest challenge. I check the bike while MrsT gets the pack sorted and cleared with the marshals. Then she heads off to the first of the support viewing areas while we head down to the start. It’s still pitch black when we set off so extra caution on the unlit rough roads. I’m again in the middle of the pack, but no heroics today, I plan to be in better condition for the next run stage.

Even being conservative after about 5km I hit a pothole and knew right away I had a puncture on the front wheel. Damn, still dark and right near the start. Luckily one of the support cars saw my situation and parked behind me giving protection and light. More haste, less speed, meant I trashed one of my spare tubes in the rush to re seat the tyre. 10 minutes lost and I’m at the back. 2km further on in my haste again I hit the edge of a metal manhole cover and get a second puncture! Quick change this time, but I’ve used my last spare and I must be 15 minutes back.

I settle into a pace, promising myself I will make up time on the next trail leg, but still decide to keep up a descent pace for now and back off nearer the transition. A few Km further and I see a stricken cyclist. “Got a spare tube” he shouts. I tell him about my 2 punctures and I’m fresh out, but I have a patch kit which I hand him and head off towards one of the big 5km climbs. He shouts after me “I’ll see you at the top and hand it back”. Surely he means at the end, not the top. Towards the top of the 5kn climb the guy suddenly appears beside me, hands me the patch kit, says thanks and disappears at the speed of sound. Who was that man?

On the last big 8km climb I am feeling good and I actually smile when I see a trail of bikes. Yeah I am back with the tail enders. I get past 4 before the long downhill and then take it easy for the last few km to hit the transition for the last trail run. I end up with 3 hours for the leg, exactly my target, despite the punctures.

• Options
    cont...

I don’t rush the transition and take on the refilled pack and eat some bars and carry a couple of bananas for the uphill segment. The climb is long and hard, a real test for the legs. It is 4km straight up to about 2000ft. At times an ‘all fours’ ascent. I get to the top in just over an hour and start to easy jog the ridge where the terrain allows. I meet a couple of the search & rescue team who are keeping a safety eye on us. Sadly I didn’t really hear or understand their warning about some thing ahead that I should treat with “real caution man”. I also detected the syllables ‘osp’, ‘ting’ and ‘ts’warm’. I knew it was warm, but the rest made no sense, my Trini speak is still in early days. Five minutes later it all became clear when I felt a sharp sting on my leg and more on my arms and heard a buzzing. I ran like a madman for 2-3 minutes waving my hat around my body and yelling. I was being attacked by tiny angry wasps of some sort. They got some direct hits (about 15 after a count up later), which fortunately were uncomfortable but not debilitating. Another lesson learnt!

The rest of the trail went OK, no places gained or lost, but the downhill was as steep as the uphill, so some serious toe pains on the way down. On the last mile, which was road, I caught up with a couple of other competitors, but none of us were minded to race in that heat so we finished the section side by side sharing a laugh!

We were supposed to transition to the kayaks for the final 30km. Sadly a huge storm swell meant that the coastguard would not let us go from the launch point which was rough as hell. We were taken to a different launch point and still got to do a 3hour 20km kayak to the finish. The kayak went well and I overtook one person, but the simple technology plastic kayaks from the rental centre were no match for the sleek fast glass machines that the elites had. So best times for the paddle were over and hour faster than mine.

The finish was great. Beach the kayak and take the paddle and run a final 100m to the line. The supporters and other competitors were there cheering everyone over the line. MrsT who had been at every vantage point cheering me and the others on was there to greet me. I was totally over whelmed and cried! It was the toughest thing physically, mentally and emotionally I have ever done in my life. MrsT was great, never doubted my ability to do it, and never questioned my sanity! I don’t have the final times yet (no chips out here!), but my times say 15hr 14minutes for the two days and probably 16th overall. All objectives over achieved!

Oh and the guy who I leant my patch pack to, International Tri Athlete Jason, came first, despite double punctures and never having been in a Kayak until 2 weeks before the event!

Well, when I was 43, overweight, smoking, drinking and heading for a likely early exit from this place, I made a choice. I set a goal to be fitter at the age 50 than at any other time in my life.

Today is my 50th Birthday, goal achieved!

• Options
    Fantastic. just fantastic. Words fail me.

And happy birthday!
  • Options
    Trirunner...that is the most amazing tale...makes my long, slow run look like a 400m sprint....awesome effort...well done
  • Options
    Trini - just managed to keep my patience in check so I didn't peak to the end too early ;-)

Epic story telling and an epic tale! Through wasps, punctures, dehydration, 35 degree heat and a stormy sea - superb!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

But....

You could have been fifteenth if you weren't so nice ;-)
  • Options
    FFG - I think I now know what the FF stands for - very impressive - congratulations.
  • Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    Trini, fantastic.

I had tears in my eyes at the end. what more can I say apart from many congratulations and happy birthday.

An example to all of us.
  • Options
    Trirunner - loved the report. Happy birthday and very well done.