Options

Dublin Marathon 2006

Comments

• Options
    Thanks everyone for helping to make my weekend so special.

Now I have come back down to earth I can actually believe what I have done. It took 20 years but I made it.

Hope some of you will one day feel the sense of achievement of having run 100 Marathons.
  • Options
    I really must go and count how many I have done, it must be getting near to 50 if it hasnt already passed it, might make 100 before i give up.
  • Options
    Plum,

If you have done 50+ you can join the 100 Marathon club as a 'wannabee'.

Have a look at the website

www.100marathonclub.org.uk

• Options
    Now that the Marathon is out of the way and I can no longer go out for 3-4 hours over the weekend running, a long list of jobs seems to have appeared.

So today instead of my LSR: -

Cleaning the kitchen
    Emptying the cupboard under the sink
    Mowing the lawns
    Tidying the garden - clearing away dead stuff.
    Wash both cars
    Prepare dinner

I need to enter another marathon quick!
  • Options
    Hello all

got back from Dublin last night had a good time.
    Did struggle a bit in the marathon, 5:19:31 chip time.
    But surprisingly didn't feel so bad the next day, stiff yes but was expecting worse.
    Sorry i didn't get to meet any of you got carted away with my cousin (one of them) had a shower and a good feed.

Meet some really nice people, saw a couple that had those vests on (100 mile club - 197 and 147 respectively)

Just can't get over that

And yes i will do another was thinking that within a couple of hours after i finished.
  • Options
    Mr Happy,

Dare we ask what Mrs Happy is doing, training for a Marathon maybe?
  • Options
    I have St Neots half in a couple of weeks, then I think the next marathon for me is Seville (other half has agreed to this one)

:o)
  • Options
    I did a 2 mile yesterday and a 5 mile today. Went fine, though my left foot hurt today at the end. Think I'll have a few days off. I think it is the NYC marathon today? Go Lance!
  • Options
    2 hours very hilly run up in the woods this morning, legs were a bit heavy at first and i got tired towards the end but the middle bit was fine............ must keep going as it is only 4 weeks to the next one.
  • Options
    Nice easy 6 miles for me this morning. No real problems, just felt good to be out running again.
  • Options
    Had a great reception in church this morning. They were all praying for me last weekend.
    Haven't run yet but will start again tomorrow. Need to do some sensible training this month as the Marathon that I am doing on the 17th of December (for 100 Marathon Club members) is a handicap event.
    Handicap based on last half a dozen Marathon results which have all been over 5 hours so if I can run a good one I might win it!
  • Options
    I'm going out for a 20 minute shuffle with George - he didn't play Rugby because he didn't get selected for the team. Poor Kid - he was so up for a game today.

We have the Santa dash in a few weeks - it's fantastic fun= (only 5k)
  • Options
    Was planning to go for a run this morning but the warm bed changed my mind. Still if I leave it another day that'll be a full weeks rest from running. Paula Radcliffe says its OK to rest in the latest RW so if its good enough for Paula...
  • Options
    Decided to get up early and do the 10k I'd entered a while back - pleased that I did, as I went round in just under 41.30 - very surprising, but very pleasing :o)

Off to help DTB drink her celebratory marathon champagne later on...although she deserves a bottle just for getting out of bed and shouting at me round the course this morning !
  • Options
    Ian - Seville is an excellent choice :o)
  • Options
    Am thinking of the Santa Dash, Mr Happy. Are you in it?
  • Options
    OK, just catching up. Work has exploded (and away w/e) and am only now catching up on thread since Thursday. Just checked out everyone's photos - at least I'm smiling in one of mine!

Adverse Camber 9632
    Amadeus 10568
    Ian PIT 9417
    Smiley Lady 10040
    H 11478
    HH 9544
    Dai Lactic 4460
    GFB 4356
    MrGFB 10159
    IMIB 10384
    calypso 4088
    NC 2043
    BDB 9422
    Andy F 9105
    DTB 4284
    Mr Happy 9511
    Chas N-B 9001
    NRG2 5316

I'm sad I know but I've ordered one. Hubby brought along digital video camera thingy but battery is duff so, of course, it held up fine for his 5 mile fun run the previous weekend but my first time ever marathon run - no - it dies at about 12 miles!! So - can anybody confirm anything about the offered video footage of us crossing the line. Is that bona fide or $14.95 thrown down the toilet?

Still haven't been out. Am following RW mag advice (roughly)to do kind of reverse taper. Aiming to go out for very gentle 20mins or so just to check knees are ok - the only bits that have faint twinges. Right on top of the knee bone. Any ideas?

Thanks, too, for the discussion a few pages back about Garmin. I'd like one from Santa but feel bad because friend has ordered Bothar goat for her pressie instead. Now torn between charity and greed.

Pam - very well done again. It was lovely to run behind you for a while and hear the effect you and Superman had on the kids. Not as many dress up suits as FLM I think?

Anyone heard any results from NY yet? Dying to know how Lance got on. Have checked out RW.com site but live coverage must be for subscribers only!

Anyway, must go and get ready for bed (I know it's only 20:36).

Do you realise that Gillyhug & Hayley came in just ahead of DTB ie in the same photo?!
  • Options
    hey all

good to hear everyone is doing well and even better all back running!! Good work one and all. Just checked out that photo of DTB that has me and Hayley in front, how cool is that a photo of all three of us, unfortunately i think hayley looks like she is in pain at this point :-(
    The professional photos are very expensive aren't they, but i have to confess i am ordering i think 3!

Hey guys, could anyone advise me of a fun run i could with my 7 year old niece over xmas in Dublin., i don't think it should be longer than 5K.

Oh and is anyone keen of doing NY next year, sorry think i may have already asked this, does mean of course not doing Dublin, hmmm will have to think.

Anyway Ta-ra for now!
  • Options
    I didn't get into florida :-(.... Debbo got Zuppy in though so that's the main thing :-)
  • Options
    Anyone thinking of Dublin 2007?
  • Options
    I did 2 miles - easy peasy with George - 10/11 minute miles - actually very enjoyable. (As we neared the 2 mile point and he was knackered he said "Dad, how the hell do you keep this up for 4 and a half hours?"

I think I'll miss the running club for a week or two and just run on my own or with George very gently.

Then crank it up in 3 weeks for a half mara!

Strangely I've had no problems with my legs or feet but lots of problems with my spine this week - Out of nowhere.

• Options
    Yeah Dublin sounds good as a permanent fixture.

A list a list.......Who is at least 70% commited to Dublin next year...........

Mr Happy
  • Options
    Nope, deffo not doing Dublin next year.

I really felt that the course beat me last year, out at that hill by Ashtons (Clondalkin? I'm hopeless at Dublin geography) it won and I definitley lost. I had to go back and prove a point.

I won't say that I beat it this year but I ran the whole way (which I didn't do last year) so I'm happy to call it a score draw and move on.

I've given up on teh "Grand Slam" - with two new maras in Irealnd next year and a vague target of Boston qualifying it's too much so I'll probably do 1 home & 1 away this year. Or maybe a tri, maybe an ultra. I'm not going to plan anything till after Xmas either way.

Anyway the high point for me this year could never be bettered...

Coming around Trinity on teh home straight I was "racing" with a couple of Spanish girls (I know they were Spansih cos I caught snatches of conversation). Anyway one was really giving it socks, she was huffing and puffing and panting and making all sorts of ooooing and ahhhing noises.

Well it struck me that that must be exactly the noises she makes when she's being "intimate" and despite the pain and agony I very nearly bust a gut laughing (probably cost me at least a few seconds off my time). Now I'll never have a better experience than a hot, sweaty spanish woman doing love making noises beside me in Dublin, so why spoil the memory?
  • Options
    If I'm in Dublin then I will certainly do it next year..
  • Options
    I am at least 70 per cent committed to Dublin next year!
  • Options
    SL,

If you didn't get into Florida, any plans to do any other IM's next year? I think you said you might do Lanza?

Yep I am up for Dublin again next year, won't to go back and run a better time as I know I could have ran it faster this year if it wasn't for the cramp I got in my stomach at mile 16!

• Options
    On a side note!

Can anyone recommend Hotels in Seville for Feb next year 2007?
  • Options
    Sorry SL, I know all the trouble you went to to try for Florida too ;-(

There's always another round the corner!